Is this acceptable?

How does one go about using a UHD monitor?

Depends on the size
Mine is 17 inches so I need to use scaling.

You don't

scaling

>2013

Man W7 really aged badly. This is the end of an era. SAD!

I tried W7 on a hi-res laptop a few months ago, and it looked like a shitty counterfeit Chinese copy of Windows, with uneven fonts, huge rectangular window decorations, and more. And no, this was a version of Windows downloaded directly from Microsoft servers.

Goodnight sweet prince.

When i saw the op pic i was a bit taken back by how old it looked-but it's simple and that's the way I like it

Windows 7 can be made to look good in high resolution. It's actually rather easy.

>set DPI to 150%
>install mactype

They buy one that's 40" instead of 24.

Do you use it like it's multiple monitors in that case?

Don't use a 7 year old OS

>manually set fuckhuge fonts
>didn't even bother to reboot
"hurr bad scaling"

I used scaling at first, but then I went back to default and I actually started to grow fond of everything being super small. It gives you so much more screen real estate, I decided to keep it small.

tl;dr you'll get used to it.

I don't get why people get fuckhuge resolutions and just scale everything up. Isn't that counter productive?

That it is. I had things scaled up for a few days before I decided to try it out the way it was meant to be. Instant improvement in quality.

Now, 1080p looks fuzzy to me because I'm so used to the sharpness of 4k.

The fonts weren't set to be huge, this is just Windows 7 being shit with high-res screens.

Interdasting.

I didn't have this issue with Win7, you just need to try harder.

you use a proper os like OS X or Linux/BSD.

even though i thought they got high dpi in 8 or 10 or something. 7 fucking sucks anyways.

Use a modern operating system and you won't have that problem

It looks fine is you don't use anything over 150%
Pic related

Some of us prefer stable, non-beta operating system underneath us that works how we want.

>stable
>windows 7

is this your idea of a joke?

No?

Good to know about the fonts, but you have to admit the close-maximize-minimize buttons, the taskbar highlights and the how-much-is-the-hard-drive-filled-up bars in Explorer.exe are all taller and look like shit.

I had Windows 7 installed on a retina MacBook Pro for a few days but my OCD got me to install Windows 10.

Notice the obviously fucked up gradient on pic related compared to normal-res Windows 7. Can't unsee once seen.

>install windows 7, 2 hours later and 5 reboots later you can boot into operating system
>open windows update
>that itself has to update
>restart windows update
>takes 18 hours to download the list of things it needs to update
>spend another 12 hours installing the updates
>cannot use internet during this time as your ram will be filled during this time including your dedicated swap
>reboot 4 times to install all the updates
>finally reopen windows update, find you have 80 more updates to install after 6 hours of searching
>install in 4 hours
>reboot 3 times
>check again
>12 more updates
>finally reboot into your fully updated system
>install graphics drivers
>reboot again
>install programs you want
>reboot again
>spend rest of the afternoon removing updates and turning off "features"
>after 3 full days, you can now use your computer
no, its not acceptable but its the best option as far as windows is concerned

Or you could integrate all the updates into the ISO. I'm sure the average Sup Forums poster can figure out how to do that.

Hell you can even install Windows in a VM (VHD), let it do all the updates, sysprep, and turn that into a WIM.

Windows Update on Windows 10 does all this shit on its own.

you cant even turn off features in windows 10 without them coming back on in the next windows update which cannot be turned off

>disable the Windows Update update service

That was hard

It restarts by itself after a while

You increase the font size instead of using the built-in DPI scaling option. You fucked up.

but then you cannot update. my problem is having both no option to turn off automatic updating, therefore allowing manual updating, and no way to choose exactly what you can update

Not if you disable it. Don't just stop the service, disable it.

>enable the service again
>check for updates

What's the problem?

>not using Ultimate SP1

Photos and video are not scaled up, so you still benefit from the increase resolution in them. Also scaling in this case sometimes means higher resolution GUI, not actual scaling.

Don't you lose screen real estate for windows and shit when you scale up?

Configure W10 from group policy to only download and install updates when you click the download button and use that MS tool to hide updates you don't want.

Windows 7 still looks great up to at least 1920x1200. I think that's pretty good.

it looks fine here, you fucked up somehow

>Isn't that counter productive?
No, rendering at higher resolution improves image quality. It's incredibly visible on fine details, such as text which tends to be fucking everywhere. The issue is not everything is compatible, so you do get some older shit that simply gets resized and looks blurry.

Yes, but it depends on what size your monitor is whether or not you want to do that. I have a 24" monitor which isn't really big enough to use as a dual-monitor-esque setup.

>What is scaling

>my problem is having both no option to turn off automatic updating, therefore allowing manual updating
you have that option, group policy

>and no way to choose exactly what you can update
this is true, though

Why don't you just use 8.1? I've been using 8.1 for 4K over a year now and its perfectly fine.

this is consolification, obfuscating "advanced" functionaity. at this point it is easier to just use windows 7.

Oh man. That was one of the first things I did and few days later on last patch tuesday every time I manually checked for updates there was nothing yet. Later when I was ready to hit the sack I decided to take a quick look and the fucker was right there already INSTALLING the fucking patches it was supposed to ask me about.

Seriously, that shit is unreliable as fuck.

i use a 1080p 32" monitor and it looks better than my 23" 1080p monitor. it's not the time for 4k yet, but 1440p sure is nice, because everything is large on my monitor now because there is no scaling below 100% on windows 10

that's because windows 10 is an unfinished beta quality product

but since you're an ignorant Sup Forumstard you won't switch to 7 or 8.1

>i use a 1080p 32" monitor

stopped reading there

Actually I'm in the process of doing a live-patching Windows 7 with ntlite's new feature with updates downloaded with whdownloader because wsusoffline YET AGAIN has begun getting stuck checking for pre-existing updates.

It has come to this.

If you check for updates manually it will also install the shit if finds. Just wait for the popup telling you updates are available, have a look at what it wants to install, hide shit if there's anything you don't want and then hit Download.

Sure, W7 is just fine if you don't want to use something like DX12. I'm fine with advanced functionality being "hidden" (it's not really hidden, there's a GUI for the settings, categories are clearly labeled and the policy rules themselves have long and fairly clear explanations about what they do exactly). MS clearly has their own agenda, but forced updates at least keep the normalfag's machines patched up and stop retards from doing stupid shit like never installing security updates intentionally. As long as the actual functionality is still there, it's fine by me.

ok, you aren't going to convince me to jump ship though. it is still much easier to open windows update, see what updates there are in windows update, read what the updates do in windows update, select what updates i want in windows update, and finally update within windows update. im not fine with functionality being removed or obscured in favor of retard proofing, making it harder for power users to do anything.

Yeah I realize why they did this, sometimes I get 7 laptops that don't even have SP1. I don't have to like it though.

>Just wait for the popup telling you updates are available, have a look at what it wants to install, hide shit if there's anything you don't want and then hit Download.

It actually lets you do that?
(I always used manual checks which means everything gets installed.)

I'd at least like to avoid useless shit like "malicious software removal tool", which comes every month.

The classic theme seems to do better with higher PI mode. Which is a bit amusing.

You can install unsigned themes and get something nicer but ricing windows is such a hassle it's not worth it.

That's besides the point. What I'm saying is Windows Update in Windows 10 is a lot more functional and stable.

India is taking our jobs and look at what is becoming of this country! They're outsmarting us at our own game, and it's only going to get worse. SAD!

>ok, you aren't going to convince me to jump ship though
That's OK, I never intended to and I honestly don't care what random anons run on their computers.

I don't like it either, but they basically just changed the GUI since all the functionality is still there.

Yes, but you need to download a separate tool from MS.

>How does one go about using a UHD monitor?

Move the Taskbar to the left, widen it out a bit. Looks fucking stupid on the bottom of such a resolution.

Windows 7 kind of sucks with hidpi scaling. Had all kinds of weird problems with it. Use windows 8.1 or windows 10 if you plan on using hidpi scaling.

Update vga drivers and turn on aero

Haha, people who refused the upgrade are getting fucked over again.

Windows 10 isn't very good at it either. Windows is just bad in general when it comes to scaling.

Windows is just less pro-active at scaling, it leaves it to the developers. But it's feasible to make your software scalable. Otherwise you can also compile Windows software to just be passive-scaled.

Are you autistic? You know exactly well that even then you can not decide which updates you want to install. No, not even enterprise LTSB N has manual selection of updates.

Hi jordan