/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Last thread:
Stupid questions undeserving of their own threads goes into this containment thread.

Do not bump your question or post it more than once per thread. Nobody owes you an answer.

Other urls found in this thread:

hosthatch.com/openvz-ssd-vps
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ca u make a computer run 7 different operating systems?

HxD gives me a nice pretty graph telling me how frequently each byte appears in a given file.

Are there any tools which let me graph the frequency of 2 or 4 byte words in file?

Seriously can legally buying movies be any MORE pain in the ass?

I just wanted to see eat pray love without getting a lawyer letter and bought it on iTunes like the good goyim I am
It worked well enough but I like taking movie stills and use them as wallpaper but whenever I try to take a screenshot it's all black. I googled and it seems this is intentional

For what fucking purpose?

Can install a weather bar in windows 7 ?

I am a total newbie and I want to start learn programming. Is every language essentially equivalent, I can do anything with every language, or is there something I can do with say python that I can't do with fortran?

It's so that people can't buy a digital copy of the movie, then record the video stream and upload it to the internet for others to pirate.

Isn't it cute? They think they're stopping pirates.

But I'm not trying to record the movie just take a screenshot. Single picture w/o audio

Also implying that movie is not on the Pirate Bay a trillion times already

If you have the space to install them all, then I don't see why not.

>Is every language essentially equivalent
nope

with java you can do android apps
with javascript you can do browser extensions

and start with python, you will fail anyway, as hundreds thousands of you, who just go around asking how and what to learn instead of learning

Which of the alternative CPU archs will win? i.e. things like MIPS and RISC-V and POWER8 type shit.

Never

Can i change the drive so it says how many gigs are used out of max. Instead of showing how much is left?

Trough and act of magic and bad luck my windows partition is compromised.
I dont have another HDD to backup 200GB of stuff.

Cant i just create another partition and install windows there or all the HDD will be wiped?

>How do i know it is compromised
The amount of RAM used and what task manager process list reports dont add up.
40-50% of my RAM is being used on something but the process doesn't exist and i cant track what is using it.

Never fall for the "Use the stock windows with no updates" meme.

Well, at least among themselves one of them will stand out. I think it's gonna be RISC-V or MIPS.

How much can I do with 1 VPS (package #1) here?
hosthatch.com/openvz-ssd-vps
>1x Intel E5 3.5GHz+ Core
>256MB RAM
>30GB SSD
>1TB Bandwidth

Good enough for a webserver? Perhaps just an email server? Better to buy two #1s or one of the others there?

Is this the best/cheapest VPS btw?

OpenVZ or KVM?

The notion of a shared kernel seems... scary.

I'm running Win7 and want to boot from a USB. The shortcut for the boot setup menu (Ctrl+S) is consistently ignored and the PC boots normally.
Lights on keyboard indicate that it works a-ok.

What do?

What would you guys do:

1) Buy an expensive video card to use it on an old computer even if it bottlenecks, because I can only buy the rest of new computer a few months later.

2) Buy the new computer and use the old video card for a while, then a few months later buy the new video card.

Which one would give a nicer improvement those few months before I complete the computer?

Old PC:
>Phenom II x4 955 BE, 7yo asus mobo but good
>Radeon 5870

New:
>Intel 6700k, asus z170-e, other stuff: 55% of the budget
>gtx 1070; 45% of the budget.

i kek'd

Can tablets be used as modular displays? I think it would be cool to have a couple cheap touchscreen displays alongside two main displays.

I'm picturing system resource graphs /specs per tablet, also some kind of expensive multi display stand with expansion slots to add little tablet clamps and all kinds of software and apps. Does this exist?

No, not all languages are the same. The good thing is that you can learn as many as you want.

Java is executed in a Virtual Machine (Java Virtual Machine, JVM). This means that you only have to write a single source code, compile it only once, and it can run on any platform as long as that platform has installed Java. The virtual machine will also protect you from fucking up your computer. However, since the code is executed in a virtual machine, you don't have direct access to hardware and things will run slower in Java than other languages.
>Pros: Easy to learn, runs anywhere, you only have to code once, you can't screw up your computer in a digital freak accident
>Cons: It's slower than other languages and won't give you access to hardware

C# is a language pretty similar to Java (if you can code in Java, you will easily learn C# and vice versa). C# doesn't run in a Virtual Machine and you therefore have to compile your program for each system you want to run it on. However, it will run faster than an identical Java program. You don't have full access to your hardware, but that means you are protected from your own stupidity. Note that C# only runs in Windows.
>Pros: Easy to learn, reasonably fast, protects you from screwing up your computer
>Cons: You have to recompile your code in order to make it work on several systems

C++ is the first choice for game programmers because of its blazing fast execution speed and full access to hardware. It's a steep learning curve, but if you work hard and keep your chin up (and most importantly, think before you code), you're gonna have a good time. C++ can run on any platform, but you will have to recompile or even rewrite your source code in order to make it work everywhere.
>Pros: Fast execution speed, full access to hardware
>Cons: Steep learning curve, You're free to fuck up your computer permanently, You'll have to recompile or rewrite code in order to run it more than one place

Short answer: Get into BIOS and change the order of your boot devices.

Long answer:
If you're on a laptop, you usually have to hop through a few hoops in order to get into BIOS. I have to press a button besides the power button, then restart my computer to bring up a menu, and from there I can enter BIOS. Google your model to find out how to get into BIOS. When in BIOS, look for "Startup" or "Boot" or anything similar. Find the list of bootable devices and put USB at the top. Save changes and exit. It should work now.

If you're on a desktop, you're probably told what key you need to press somewhere very early during startup (maybe during POST). In my case, it's Delete, but it is also often F2, F8, F10 or F12. It could also be any other key, so find out yourself. Once you're in BIOS, look for "Startup" or "Boot" or anything similar. Find the list of bootable devices and put USB at the top. Save changes and exit. It should work now.

Thanks user.

This depends on your system. I had kind of the same system as you but instead of a Phenom II x4 955 BE, I had an Athlon II x4 620 (so my CPU was a bit worse than yours). I upgraded my GPU from a Radeon HD 5850 to a Radeon R9 390, but didn't really see that much of a change in games because the CPU bottlenecked so hard. I upgraded the rest of my computer half a year later. Looking back, I think I would have done it the other way around this time since GPUs only do graphical work, and I would benefit more from a CPU upgrade for more general tasks other than gaming. But then again, just my opinion.

languages are very different but not in arbitrary ways. they are constructed from many of the same ideas, and a few different ideas. different languages put those ideas together in different ways.

anyone who can program knows a lot of languages and can learn new ones quickly. the first couple you learn will be the hardest. just pick one and do it, python is a fine choice. a LOT of what you learn will translate to the next language

Yeah now I'm more inclined to get the CPU first as you say, I've seen that even the integrated graphics of the 6700k can run GTAV at 30 fps, I can't even run that game with my current set up at 10fps and the CPU is always 99% all the time.

*Although that game optimization is absolute garbage, I still can play witcher III at 50 fps semi-ultra. Maybe it depends on games too.

I still can't decide if I should go for cs or maths at univesity when I just wanna be a programmer. Im 18 and already know java since it was taught at my school and I just thought why the hell not better than something that's just not my thing like biology. I stumbled around in python and am currently wokring my way through c, plan on doing c++. Also am kinda decent with html/css/php/js. I really enjoy maths too. Which degree should I opt for?
Math or CS?
Have about 5 months to decide

Anyone?
>

Why does IoT require IPv6? I know that IPv4 addresses are running out, but why does every "smart device" need their own IP?

Can't you just use NAT and/or one central device that's connected to the internet and then connect your other devices to that hub. (This being the case in "smart homes", for example)

I know you can do that with sandboxie, I don't know if it's free or paid.

Pls help, what is this little piece of shit called (ruler is leaning on it for reference)? It's not a standard usb PCB header, just a hair shorter, so it doesnt fit.
I need to find a USB-to-this-mystery-port cable.
It's a xonar u1 soundcard btw.

Does anyone know what Windows Installer Software this is?

Inno Setup?

You can try to re-engineer the installer file with 7zip. Most installer frameworks like NSIS (Nullsoft Installing System) or Windows Installer are very simple to understand.

I have all the spooky skeleton gifs, how do I keep them dancing in the bottom right corner now that the Halloween theme's gone?

Better angle.

my cloud2 headset's mic stopped working and the same constant low popping is output regardless of if its plugged in or not

just wondering if it's the internal cord connected to the headset itself that's broken or the microphone (so I know if I can replace it)

Sure, that is possible, but how will you manage a multiply NATted network?

I work for Miele and we reimplemented the SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) for our washing machines and other household appliances. I know what I am speaking about.

Yeah, that's what I was guessing. Plus it's not good business to expect the end user to configure their NAT for all of their devices.

As the name suggest you see more programming if you pick CS, and more math if you pick Math. You will still learn "a bit" of the other regardless of what you choose, but speaking to some math mayor friends they seem clueless about algorithms, programming and OS's, unless they learn by their own.

I think if you like math you should go Math, but if you're just good at math you should take CS since most CS fags fucking sucks at math and it makes life so much easier.

despite your strategic avoidance of photographing the model name (first covered by the ruler, second cut off on the edge)
i've found out what that is, and you can even see the usb connector colours

left to right;
red - +5v
white - D-
green - D+
black - ground
grey - likely shield, attach to ground or not at all, not required for usb

There are already many UPnP devices for end users, but this is a high security risk. We are sure to provide a better and safer customer experience with SNMP. Either way, IPv6 is needed because it makes management much easier and you don't have to worry. Just plug your device in, get a IP address in your private subnet of the internet and that's all. With a /48 range you can assign more network addresses than you ever need.

so if I have a vps and a domain pointing to it and I want to stuff all incoming emails to that domain (*@domain.com) into a database what part of the email stack do I need to implement? A simple smtp server on port 2525 and mx record pointing to ip?

Trying to install Windows 7 on a new computer and I get a "cannot find installed drivers" error or something like that. I also happen to have a CD that came with the motherboard that is labeled as the cd with drivers on it. How do I get that into Windows? Do I simply take the CD for windows out and put the one for the drivers in and watch the magic happen?

Rain meter, look it up.

Ye I guess I enjoy CS more than math, and my interest in and current knowledge of math would be enough to get me through CS

Yes, though you'll need a workaround if too many of them require primary partitions.

I once installed DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows 7, and Ubuntu on an old laptop for testing purposes. I used GPT partitioning and installed Ubuntu first. Then I used GRUB's gptsync command to create a temporary MBR when booting any of the other OSes. I set it up so that each OS's own partition would be listed first when booting into it, so that each would always be on C:, and let some of them see partitions from others as secondary drives.

Are you sure it is a installation disk and not a recovery one?

Yes, I burned it myself and used the disk to successfully upgrade another computer to 7.

I wish I was gode at math, in my case I should have taken Math 1 year desu, some of the courses from the first year are actually an inferior version of the Math courses like "analysis", so you don't have to take it twice if you switch to CS later.

What's a video capture but a screenshot of every frame, strung together into a video file?

I haven't tried buying movies on iTunes, mostly because I don't want their shitty bloated program on my computer. So I don't know what format the movies come in or what all sorts of DRM it uses. But I've encountered a bunch of stuff that can't be screnshotted just because of how it displays its image through the driver.

A few things you might try are windows key + printscreen (captures differently and saves to a file instead of to the clipboard); Snipping Tool; and adding it as a custom "game" in Steam so you can use Steam's overlay and screenshot function. No idea if any of those will work.

So I'm learning python and want to make a script to crack common codes and ciphers here's what I plan on having binary, hex, decimal, ceaser shift, base64
I know binary, hex, decimal and base64 aren't codes or ciphers but I see them being used on /r/ciphers a fair amount so I decided to add them

anything else I should add, just looking for ones commonly used and crackable

Thank you. So, how do I connect it using any of the things in the pic and no soldering iron? Or you happen to know the name of that specific connector?

And of course here is the pic i forgot

How do I go from job application to interview?

I applied to about 15 jobs, 3 of them kind of liked me/my resume and waiting for the next step. How much is the usual time to wait to get a response? Actually met a guy at one event and he said "don't expect a response from us until December". In my mind I was like why tf you need like 3 months to choose who to interview for a part time developer job? (2 days a week)

It's a standard PCB connector for internal connections. You may be able to find a plug that fits or sorta-fits it in other broken devices. Or of course go buy a basic soldering iron, they're like $10 and you don't need anything fancy to solder the wires directly to those pins.

>standard
Phew, there is a chance.
Thanks for your time. I'll handle it.

Sup guys

My mac runs really hot under Bootcamp

What can I do?

If I wipe a W8 laptop and put W7 on it, can I use an activation code from another laptop I have that has W7?

Yeah, I've seen them used to connect pieces inside a device. I remember seeing a bunch of connectors like that with varying pin counts when I took apart an old broken '90s CRT monitor.

Btw for more info:

Fans are fine under OS X

Under Windows, they don't even begin to start until it nears 100 degrees C. Which is CRAZY hot.

Why the fuck does this happen

If you don't have the Boot Camp driver pack installed, install it. If your Mac has a discrete GPU and normally uses the integrated one for light tasks, summon Steve Jobs' ghost and curse him out. They made the GPU switching thing only function in OS X (and in Linux since some clever neckbeard made a driver that impersonates OS X to the firmware to enable it). I don't know if it was done to avoid having to write a Windows driver for the GPU switcher, or to gimp battery life in Windows to make OS X look better.

because mac just works.

obviously.

windows is shit

install a fan regulator or something

If weed gets legalized will the cops give back all the stuff they confiscated from me last year?

For that matter will it still be good? Not sure of the shelf life.

the US doesn't do retroactive ameliorative relief

>If weed gets legalized will the cops give back all the stuff they confiscated from me last year?
No. It was illegal when they took it. Go buy new weed.

>For that matter will it still be good? Not sure of the shelf life.
No. It's probably ash by now. If YOU could legally take weed from somebody, would you just stuff it in a little bag and keep it forever?

Does this mean my RAM is fucked? I have 16GB, but the system is using "50%" idling according to Task Manager, but it is using way less than 8GB of RAM.

How do I edit what appears here?

Why do so many software developers have installers for programs that would function perfectly well as a standalone .exe?

I have a backup laptop that I only use for basic things like typing and light web browsing. Core 2 duo and 2GB RAM running Ubuntu 16.04. Kind of chugs when switching tabs or programs. Does it make more sense to move to a lighter version of Linux or to go to 4GB of RAM?

It puts your most used sites there, and if you don't like them you can click on the X in the upper right corner. IDK if you can customize it.

Yes I have got the drivers installed.

>They made the GPU switching thing only function in OS X
I read about that. Mine's only Intel graphics though.

It still runs WAY hotter, before fans, on Windows than OS X.

Apparently lots of others on the net have the same problem, but I don't know if *everyone* has the problem.

I have installed a fan control program (pic related), but it's not great (it's very jumpy and skittish, whereas OS X ramps up the fans gradually)

I would just assume that the bloody computer would have the proper drivers to make this shit work anyway.

That shit is being deprecated. Look up Universal Windows Apps.

linuxatemyram.com

I'm looking for a very compact/small overlay that displays my clock speeds and temps of both gpu/cpu. what's a good one that doesn't have issues with recording software and all that?

Look in Resource Monitor's memory tab. Either you're seeing disk cache that can be dropped instantly if that memory is needed for something else, or you're running some program or driver that's hogging RAM. Virtual machines also eat RAM.

I thought it was obvious that I'm using Windows 10.

Like I said, it's idling.

Look for new-tab page extensions. I've seen one that gives you full control over what sites are listed. It only shows sites you add, and gives you a + button to add any URL you want. I forget what it was called.

If a laptop turns off and on automatically what could it be?

>windows
Fucking read the website windows or not
linuxatemyram.com
So?
You were doing things BEFORE you were idling, those things are in ram,so when you go to do them again, it dosent have to fetch it from the disk cache

Still, look in Resource Monitor. That RAM is in use. High RAM use is not a physical problem with your RAM, it's a software problem. Bad RAM makes bluescreens.

Despite deleting/disabling them, 8 BD-ROM drives keep appearing in my drive list. I think it might be from Daemon tools but I can't figure out how to get rid of them for good, anyone know how to?

>You were doing things BEFORE you were idling,

Nope. I have done nothing but turn on Chrome today. I killed all Chrome processes and I was still using 50% of RAM earlier.

There was a javaw.exe running, but I killed it and I still have hardly any memory.

YOUR
OS
FUCKING
STAYS
IN
RAM

>i5-6500 (stock cooler)
>GTX 1050
>BitFenix Shinobi with case fan (1x120mm in rear)
1) Are there clearance issues? I don't think I'll need to remove any case fans, but want to double check before ordering.
2) Will this have cooling issues? (Australia summer is coming) Should I get an extra fan?

No shit. Are you stupid?

Isn't it obvious that this is unusual behavior for my computer?

I don't know shit, but could be overheating.

It fucking isnt at all.
Why did you buy all that ram if you didnt intend on using it?
Put in a single stick of 1gb ddr3 and see how much you miss caching
Fucking winfags my god

How come the difference between Fx and Chromium isn't that big despite the latter having so much more funding behind it?

?? What do you mean by "re-engineering" ? How do achieve this, how do I even open that exe setup. When i try to open directly with 7zip it doesn't work.

btw I think its Inno Setup

>It fucking isnt at all.

Wow, so you know my computer better than I do? Normally it uses about 2GB while idling. Shut the fuck up you pseudo-intellectual Linux cunt.

Why are you quoting my post?

i5 w/ stock cooler - this will fit in basically anything.
GTX 1050 - Size depends on brand and model, but that case looks like it will fit GPUs up to 10" long with the HDD bays in, 13" without. A single-fan 1050 will fit in basically anything that isn't low-profile.
You should look at the mobo you're thinking of buying and make sure they haven't done anything retarded like put a tall heatsink in the way of where a long GPU would sit.

I don't think you'll have heat issues with that.

>better then me
Yes, i fucking do.
Please just slit your wrists. You dont know shit about computing.

Using ram is not a BAD thing,you use ram when you do things. Stop doing things on your computer so you can stop using all that ram bucko

>Why are you quoting my post?
Sorry, was an accident. I click post numbers to open Quick Reply, and forgot to delete it this time.

Thank you very much, user.

Of course, that was years ago and the disk could've degraded since then, but when I checked the files in another computer it seemed like everything was okay.

Look. In. Resource. Monitor.

It should look something like this. Above that is a list of things that are using memory and how much, including OS components.

Do you want to get to the bottom of this, or just bitch and cry?

>Shut the fuck up you pseudo-intellectual Linux cunt.
You are asking questions in the Stupid Question Thread.

Consider listening to the replies.

since you appear to want to attach this to a usb header, you could just get four of these breadboard jumper wires (female-female)

picture might have been nice