Systemd must be destroyed

Assemble the neckbeards.
It is time to begin.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd
lwn.net/Articles/576078/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Systemd is the best thing to have happened to GNU since Linux.

It is *you* who should go out, my friend.

what is systemd? i know arch use it, but thats about it

T. Microsoft employee #54369

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd
It's a cancer that is killing GNU/Linux.
See pic related.

I meant the op pic

>to GNU

Yes, Linux is just one of its kernels.

Daily reminder that systemd is FOSS (Free Open Source Software) and that it is good software that fulfils the needs of modern devops, sysadmins, regular users and even application developers. Since work on systemd project restarted in 2010 and it's initial inclusion in Fedora Jan 2011 it has gained code contributions from over 600 developers worldwide and became the default init system and session manager in every major GNU/Linux distribution since 2012. Developers from each of these have commit access and have helped to design and shape systemd to fit their needs and unify core system between distributions over the last 5 years.

However as great of an improvement as it has proven to be it has attracted many paid trolls and mentally ill Linux users who spread lies and FUD about it, a large group of these single out developers and attack them with constant trolling, abuse, stalking and even death threats. Many of these 'people' are from the *BSD camps; after Linux usage and contributions sky-rocketed 15 years ago they have been on a constant mission to cause trouble, including making threats of violence and rape against people who create GPL licensed code.

There are also thought to be many of these people on the payroll of Microsoft to try and destroy strong powerful FOSS projects by negative campaigning and lie/FUD spreading. Fortunately as usual for Microsoft their FUD campaign and paid shills turn up 4 years too late and don't have technical arguments, making it obvious what they are: paid trolls.

"I think your attitude is pretty typical of systemd detractors, and that attitude is exactly why systemd is making a victory sweep across all major Linux distributions;

Since you are in total denial of any existing problems with sysvinit, you are of course unable to suggest any alternative to it, or begin any coherent work on an alternative to it. The denial also suggest a lack of technical insight into the problem, and the pathetic lack of any alternative development work also suggest a lack of technical ability to make such an alternative.

This seemingly leaves systemd detractors with only one option; negative campaigning. So they have wasted years of slandering Lennart Poettering and other open source developers and companies, and whining, ranting and trolling on web forums, but without any real technical argumentation.

Using derogatory terms, like "bloat", or "Windoze crap" aren't technical argumentation, just like copy-pasting unattributed quotes from random sites about "Unix philosophy" doesn't convince anybody serious either.

You are also alienating people who may have been sympathetic to developing alternatives to systemd; who wants to join a bunch of anonymous people who rant like lunatics, and who seems to enjoy smug negative attitudes against other open source developers.

So to sum up; you are just a loud minority who conducts negative campaigning, seemingly without any ability to gather people to construct a positive alternative to systemd. As long as you deny any problems with sysvinit, and deny any positive merits of systemd, you will be unable to analyse the situation and therefore paralysed into inaction. This of course will mean, that Linux distro after Linux distro will switch over to systemd. Enjoy the future with systemd on every Linux distro; your negative attitude made it possible."

"I remember being severely disillusioned by this in my early days. I read some article that explained how a "spell" program can be written to report the spelling errors in a file. It uses 'tr' to split into words, then "sort" and "uniq" to get a word list, then "comm" to find the differences. "cool" I thought. Then I looked at the actual "spell" program on my university's Unix installation. It used a special 'dcomm' (or something like that) which knew about "dictionary ordering" (Which ignores case - sometimes). Suddenly the whole illusion came shattering down. Lots of separate tools only do 90% of the work. To do really complete work, you need real purpose-built tools. "do one thing and do it well" is good for prototypes, not for final products.
The thing that annoys me most about systemd is that I didn't write it first!"

- Neil Brown
lwn.net/Articles/576078/

"The problem for Gnome and KDE is, that systemd is vastly superior to anything out there, and that it will help them dump loads of hard to maintain code, and give them easy access to make powerful distro-agnostic programs.

systemd provides a common, uniform Linux plumbing system that makes life easier for all user program developers. So of course Gnome and KDE will start to take advantage of systemd, why shouldn't they?

The main problem with those who for some reason or another doesn't like systemd, is that they are incredibly lazy. Instead of actually getting together to make an alternative development stack to systemd, they rant against Poettering and spew empty platitudes about "UNIX philosophy".

The most pathetic example of this anti-systemd laziness, is of course "ConsoleKit". It has now been unmaintained for +1½ years, but it is a crucial piece of infra-structure for any Desktop. But instead of either maintain it or make an alternative, anti-systemd people just rant against Gnome for no longer making it a priority to support this piece of abandonware. All rant and no work.
[...]
Yes, that is true last time you checked, and next KDE edition (KDE SC 5/Plasma 2) will of course also run on *BSD. But with reduced functionality on all non-systemd systems, compared with the systemd version.

This is not because of some sinister conspiracy, but because systemd offers easy use of many nice features that KDE and Gnome (and LXQT etc) would like to use, and non-systemd systems doesn't provide.

The point is exactly, that systemd is a very nice uniform Linux plumbing system, and that DE's are starting to take advantage of that."

"I’m trying really hard not to suggest launchd here (so I won’t). The idea of registering everything up-front with a broker and then letting IPC / timers / HW events start things from there (in cascade fashion) is still the right architecture. Even the linux die-hards have essentially grasped the necessity of systemd (even though they’re going to hate on it for awhile longer)"

- Jordan Hubbard, FreeBSD co-founder

"I don't personally mind systemd, and in fact my main desktop and laptop both run it."
- Linus Torvalds, ITWire Interview.

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd
windows10 sounds bad, systemd sounds ok to me

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd
Beside its primary purpose of providing a replacement Linux init system, systemd suite provides additional functionality, including its following components:
consoled, journald, logind, networkd, timedated, udevd, libudev, systemd-boot
not counting init, service management, mounting and automounting, cron, the list goes on and on.
Systemd is literally a cancer consuming system utilities making the old ones obsolete, breaking the unix philosophy and taking away your freedom of choice of an init system or many programs that are now a part of systemd because there will always be some program with a systemd dependency that you might want to use.

didn't read any of that

Ignoring for the moment the various technical problems with systemd, I have my suspicions that its provenance and scope are cause for alarm.

Systemd comes from Red Hat. Red Hat, in the Linux world, is the company with the largest ties to the US government and the various state security organizations around the world--including NSA. The US government (DoD) is Red Hat's number one customer. Red Hat also happens to be Lennart Poettering's employer.

The Linux kernel, I believe, is clean. As long as Linus lives, you're not going to subvert the kernel. Let's just assume that is true for the sake of argument. If you can't get into the kernel, what is your next option? You need something low level (PID 1?), ubiquitous, and vast in scope and complexity.

This describes systemd perfectly. It was almost like it was designed to touch as much of a Linux system as possible. It has hooks into some many different subsystems and APIs that it's almost impossible to build a modern distro with current software without pulling in systemd as a dependency. This happened almost overnight, and I think there are malicious forces at work here.

We must remember Heart Bleed. Heart Bleed appeared to be an innocent mistake, and it was a tiny typo in one line of a C program. If it's possible to do that much damage with a tiny little error, imagine when you have an attack surface as wide as systemd, written in a language like C that is almost designed to produce security holes when not written absolutely perfectly--and humans are not absolutely perfect programmers.

Systemd is dangerous. It's too big to be audited as quickly as its developed. It's complexity adds as much attack surface to a Linux system as the kernel itself. We can't get away from these facts. Shitfighting about init systems is a waste of our time. Sytemd is horrible because of where it comes from and how complex it is. Backdoors will be hidden in it.

I think systemd is alright. With a few more features it would make for a pretty decent OS.

Let's go kill it OP!

Be ready to use systemd/Linux instead of GNU/Linux

How?

We need to kill their families.

>implying there won't be a systemd kernel.

Aren't systemd people mostly the ones pushing for kdbus

lvl 86 mage reportan

Holy shit what a bunch of cringey losers

Currently bruteforcing my way in to systemd github account from my freebsd freedumb machine, could take a few hours.

Wish me luck.

>unironically using an operating system with no aslr support in 2016

Good luck user!
Also, report back with results!

>falling for the aslr meme

>making the old ones obsolete
Yep that's why systemd is on all distros that matter. The argument is never systemd does too many things poorly. The argument is always systemd does too many things so well it's replacing everything. And by everything I mean all the shit that autistic faggots thought made them special by knowing how it works.

Sorry but you don't get every major distro to overhaul it's guts by being inferior or even slightly superior. You do it by solving major issues.

Don't worry user, my host system runs Windows with EMET turned to 9.

thx m8

I'm calling it now that systemd is still here in 15 years.

>Don't worry user, my host system runs Windows with EMET turned to 9.

Lol, your performance must be through the floor. Btw, EMET can be bypassed. Lol windows.

ITT : Big Shill of Systemd, the cancer of Linux separating the good guys from the evil.

>your performance must be through the floor.
Not at all, no noticeable performance drops at all. Perhaps on a 2004 thinkpad it may be an issue.

>EMET can be bypassed.
So can everything on every OS, extra layers are still a good thing.

>Lol windows.
Cute, pass my regards to your parents for the troubles they braved bringing up an autistic child.

>en.m
>.m.
See (Systemd is still cancer, though)

/thread

>Not at all, no noticeable performance drops at all. Perhaps on a 2004 thinkpad it may be an issue.

Amazing! You have as good if not BETTER performance with EMET constantly running. I sure trust you user!

>So can everything on every OS, extra layers are still a good thing.

Yeah but on Windows that doesn't amount to much, lel.

>Cute, pass my regards to your parents for the troubles they braved bringing up an autistic child.

Sure. At least I have parents. Sorry bro.

Is the only problem with systemd that it goes against 'unix philosophy?'
I mean, from a functionality and performance point of view it makes no difference right?

Bloated piece of shit backdoored by NSA.

Einstein said that actually.

>336287 lines of code
>good software

[Citation Needed]

Proof?

>backdoored by NSA.
Since systemd is FOSS, this should be in the source code, right?
What file and specific line can you provide me with a reference to?

The very fact that we don't know and that it is very difficult to find out is scary enough.

use slackware then. problem solved.

>Slackware
>Not Funtoo
kek

Dumb nigger

Install Gentoo

So will my herpes, but that doesn't make it good.

10/10

I don't think it needs to be destroyed. Init needed an update.
But Systemd has certainly overstepped its bounds. It should be reduced to its original purpose.

Fuck off

Neckbeards REKT

>REKT
Get to sleep, you have school tomorrow.

>BINARY
>LOG
>FILES

Like you could read 330K of code changing every two hours, faggot. You can't audit that shit.
But you're here to shill faggot half-human, not to argue.

So basically what you're saying is that your statement that it's backdoored is unjustified because there's absolutely no way to prove it?

I think that other user is saying it's a reasonable suspicion, at least until there's a complete audit.

No if there was an audit he'd just claim it was done by Red Hat shills. I think what the other user is trying to say is I AM A GIGANTIC FAGGOT PLEASE RAPE MY FACE.

Kys faggot, you clearly don't belong here.

>thinks Linus wants to deprecate systemd
Wanna go back to using sysV instead and deal with kernel modules being controlled 1000 different ways? No I thought so. Regardless, lots of initial bugs have been flushed out.

>you clearly don't belong
>on Sup Forums

Nobody has ever paid me a greater compliment. I'm tearing up. ;_;

>Wanna go back to using sysV instead and deal with kernel modules being controlled 1000 different ways?
Still better than systemd.

>systemd isnt svhost.exe