Does Sup Forums prefer the menu bar to be at the top of the screen like MAC OS or on the top of the application like...

Does Sup Forums prefer the menu bar to be at the top of the screen like MAC OS or on the top of the application like windows?

I'm fine with both.

I just don't like the global menu implementation on Unity, even less on things like the topmenu plugin for XFCE and the like.

I'm more worried about things taking too much space. For instance, a window title border on top of the tab bar on a browser, along with 2 panels, one at the top, another one at the bottom, that's just a waste. A big waste.

the os x way.
Theres gotta be a clock/notifications bar anyway, so why not merge it with menu bar?

Agreed, OS X has the superior menu/task bar. DEs like cinnamon and XFCE can get close, but it never ends up being as good an experience.

On top is fucking retarded and utter shit for productivity on any screen larger than a laptop's. Especially with multiple application/windows open.

Then again, seeing as Apple product's primary function is updating facebook, I can see why they went with that layout.

menu bar on window:
>wasted ui space
>menu bar on each window which is utterly useless
>ugly
>each implementation differs which leads to inconsistency in option names, positions etc
>dropdown tiles block window view
>dropdown tile size limited to window size

menu bar on top
>consistant
>elegant
>can search every menu option easily on every application (even java swing ones) using the "Help" menu tab and typing due to consistency and OS X api enforcing it
>windows have more ui space

>t. mactoddler on a 1366x768 11" facebook machine

My 40" 4K screen doesn't have this problem.

Having to drag the mouse all the way to the top left of the fucking screen for an application I have open at the bottom right to open a menu is fucking retarded. But of course you wouldn't know what that's like having Safari and Facebook open in fullscreen mode.

gamercuck detected

My 5k iMac screen begs to differ.
Also 40 inches? Fuck you. Top is superior, macOS evolved from superior NextSTEP operating system, made for professionals, especially developers, which is why Mac has all these superior features.

>toddlerOS
>superior

>individual window title/menu bars
>vastly more efficient
>right where they should be
>less wasted mouse movement

>single menu bar
>some bullshit about "targets" and something called Fitt's Law
>meaningless bullshit coupled with tripe
>fuck that

I like it on the application. The OSX way is stupid and any Linux distro that follows this is equally stupid.

>tfw tried to install xfce global menu from aur
>tfw couldn't get it to work

I thought this was a croissant based off of the thumbnail

Menu bar at the to pmakes it os you can use an application without having a window open.
Example: XLD.

Good thing that Apple keeps shooting itself in the foot, maybe global menu will die in a few years.

IT'S NOT REEEEEEEEE

This.

>calls other people retarded
>doesn't know how to use keyboard shortcuts

I really liked when I first saw that on mac and wished it was like that on windows, but anyway, I'm fine with both. On windows I wish the top bar weren't so big on browsers, I always hide the taskbar but I wish it only show up when I pressed the windows key instead of accidentaly hitting bottom of the screen with the mouse.

Global menu only really works well when the software is designed around it.

Have you never used windows? Their bar is at the bottom for the clock. Your logic is bad.

he is talking about the menu bar, not the taskbar.

as long as you can autohide it, which they added in osx recently. its notso bad now

Either is fine. There's always right-clicking too.

>like windows

I'm sorry that your knowledge of Windows stops at the start menu, but as it turns out you can tailor Windows task bar and window options for virtually all programs and apps with the knowledge gained from 5 minutes of google searching.

I know you're used to having an OS hold your hand for you because you're barely sentient, but I assure you that it is not as difficult as you think to learn how to use a computer.

>lodpi cuck

I think objectively, not having open applications linked with windows is pretty useful, so the OSX way is pretty good. You can still interact with an application without a window open. It's still taking me some time to get used to it, having grown up with windows and only starting to use OSX alongside Windows 2 years ago.

>uses toddlerOS
>calls other people retarded

i can sense your fedora tipping from here

Macs have had their status bar at the top before you were born you dumb Winskiddie.

With MacOS when you close every window open for an application it doesn't mean you killed the application. Having the menu bar at the top at all times and a dock icon for any running applications this means you can control an application without having any open windows. Some applications, such as XLD, don't even show a window until you either use the "Open" menu option or drag items to the dock icon.
You don't need a tray like Windows and Linux do for applications you don't want open or minimized without having the application killed completely. e.g. a music player or torrent client don't need to take up space in your tray because they're in your dock, even though no windows are open. On MacOS the tray is mean for simple applications that you operate through menus and small windows. It's more akin to Android/iOS toggles instead of a tray.
That doesn't even touch on other MacOS paradigms such as the difference between minimizing a window and hiding an application's windows, the latter of which Windows and most Linux WMs can't do. Don't even get me started on OS X's ability to save the states of an application's window and restore it exactly as it was before, even without saving.
Why does Sup Forums hate MacOS again?

Took me a while to get used to, but I now massively prefer the OS X way. It's a pity their laptops are going to shit, not sure what I'm going to do when my current MBP kicks the bucket.

But being able to differentiate between windows and the actual program is great, also having cmd+tab plus cmd+~ is way better than just shitty alt+tab with all programs/windows treated equally. Less granular/less control.

Because they see it as a Facebook machine for people attracted to the same gender.

Spotted the mactoddler.

>toddler
>toddler
>toddler
>TODDLER!!!1 :'(

Jesus Christ pajeet, there's more insults around you know. What's your operating system? Let me guess, XP Professional?

>Why does Sup Forums hate MacOS again?

They don't. There's a lot of Mac users here, but there's nothing to really discuss, we don't really upgrade shit, we don't really have any issues so there's nothing other than pure circlejerking, which surprisingly doesn't happen. A lot of us have multiple computers too. I have a PC which I treat as a gaming console, then I have my MacBook for anything other than gaming.

You need to go back mactoddler.

Are you triggered by Apple's rupee prices with all those commas. little pajeetling?

Holy shit they're actually fighting about software in here.

Global menubar at the top. Chasing fucking per-window menubars around the screen is for the birds. If your OS/DE isn't going to make the menubar global it should be designed to not make use of menus at all.

And now, maximizing every window doesn't fix the issue, it just makes a screen wasting idiot

How did you get the mainmenu into the right click menu!?!?!?

Who the fuck games on that, think about the input lag

How do you knwo which programs are opened if you have window menu instead of global taskbar? And why do you supposed to drag your mouse half the screen to reach the chosen window's options?

>Having to drag the mouse all the way to the top left of the fucking screen for an application
>using a mouse to open a menu
regardless of what OS you use, there is such a thing as keyboard shortcuts

I like the way Unity does it.

>Menu bar integrated into individual windows' title bars
>Fullscreen windows have title bar (and menu bar) integrated into top bar

This. Anything else is a waste of space.

Are you physically incapable of moving a mouse across the screen without getting fatigued? You fat fuck

i can't even tell which side you're on because of your grammar

>uses windows
>thinks he can argue what's the best OS
lmfao

>wasted ui space
There's a bar there anyway, isn't there?
>menu bar on each window which is utterly useless
See above. I don't understand what you're getting at.
>ugly
See above

The rest of your post is really solid though. I only got an OSX begrudgingly for and ios development position and I'm never going back.

I prefer havin a standalone menu for the apps that are running and the status infos at the top of the screen

[Spoiler] i use ubuntu [/spoiler]

I prefer Gnome 3 approach of having most menus on the app, and the general app settings on top (of course that almost never applies because everything is still gtk2, but whatever)

>He gets upset about how people spend their money.
>He gets upset about things that have no impact on his life.

You need to wash your love pillow.

On the right because I want to maximize vertical space.