What Sup Forums think about awesome?

Awesome is an desktop environment for Linux systems. Anyone has opinions about awesome?

psuedo task timesink made by unemployables for unemployables

"I'm a linux expert"
>$20K / year

xmonad with binaryspacepartition is better

use i3 instead my man

I preger i3 to be honest, I tried a lot of tiling WMs, I think the other one I used for a really long time was dwm but i3 is almost as minimal but doesn't require recompiling.

It really isn't awesome.

it's the only good window manager, although everything in the dwm family is at least usable

binary space partitioning managers like i3 are just bad reimplementations of tmux. they don't fix my fundamental problem with floating windows, which is that i have to waste time on organization. i waste the same amount of time in i3, i just do it with hotkey commands instead of the mouse. it's a marginal upgrade, whereas dwm-likes can completely remove window management from your day-to-day

OP here, what i want is an lightweight desktop environment at first but highly customizable. I used to have OpenBox but i think it's becoming a little old now. What do you think?

if you want "high customization" i don't know why you would migrate from awesome, scriptability is exactly what you want

I'm not migrating 'from awesome' but 'to awesome'. I didn't installed it yet

I prefer bspwm

How what does Awsome do that removes the need to move windows around and resize them.

so basically awesome is externally simple, but the config file is a giant blob of explicit LUA that sets up everything, i.e. it defines every hotkey, menu, toolbar, widget etc. you can change anything by writing code in your config file.

this is obviously really powerful, but obviously far from minimalist, so for a lot of people it violates what they think tiling WMs are supposed to be about

personally i think tiling WMs are about never having to organize windows ever again. stuff like i3 doesn't meet that requirement precisely because it's not code-driven and you will spend a lot of time hitting keys to control where windows are placed onscreen

>personally i think tiling WMs are about never having to organize windows ever again
Personally what you think means fuck all. The definition of tiling wm is not up to you.

Why this over i3?

same thing as all dwm-likes: windows are algorithmically placed and redrawn every time the window stack changes. there's no need to specify where the window should be placed, because the algorithm will decide that automatically. you just have to choose your preferred algorithm. i prefer the fibonacci spiral. if you really want to you can write your own

for commonly used applications you can define simple rules like "terminal emulators should always spawn on the bottom of the screen instead of the top." that's literally my only rule and with that rule i never have to hit placement keys

I dont see how editing code and recompiling the WM merely to change where a window will end up saves much time compared to hitting a hotkey

when i spent a couple days in i3 i felt like i was wasting a huge amount of time bullying the binary tree around. it did not improve my workflow in any way over floating windows, although it did help my wrists. i think i3 is fine for people who want to control window placement with hotkeys instead of mouse, and especially for people who want to set up their workspace in a very specific way and then never change it. but i think it's a time waster if you're building a workspace on the fly and messing with a lot of ad-hoc guishit programs, which in my mind is exactly why you need a window manager -- if i have a very precise CLI workflow in mind then i just use tmux

>The definition of tiling wm is not up to you.
sorry, i forgot about the IEEE tiling window manager standard

LUA is a scripting language, you don't have to recompile it. the config file is written in LUA and for simple shit like hotkeys is not more complicated than any other text config

the difference from hitting a hotkey is that i configured this shit a long time ago and i haven't changed it since. why config anything?

For use as a floating WM, Openbox does the job better.
For use as a tiling WM, i3 does the job better

I think you convinced me, I will give it a try. Thanks!

>psuedo task timesink
/thread

StumpWM is the best window manager. The only reason I'm not using it right now is because of the fact that it has bad support for multiple monitors. It can't seem to deal with the fact that one of my screens has a different resolution to the other, so it never splits the screen equally.

So for now I'm using i3. I really don't like it; the default keys are insane, and creating a new window stupidly splits the whole screen vertically. There is no apparent way to "hide" windows, other than sending them to the last tag or using shitty tabs. The only redeeming feature is the fact that it handles multiple monitors well.

I would use dwm if it weren't for the fact that you can't easily move windows between monitors.

Anyone have recs for a good tiling wm? Needs some support for a status tray, or at least the ability to run one sanely, for my Japanese IME and networkmanager.

(You)

Because you might run different programs than you did a month ago?

How does it compare to i3?

>the default keys are insane

How??

>super+arrow keys to select windows
>super+shift+arrow keys to shift windows around
>super+h to split horizontally on new window
>super+v to split window vertically on new window
>super+number keys to select workspace
>super+shift+number keys to move window to workspace

How much more intuitive can the defaukt hotkeys possibly get? All Ive changed is set super+esc to close window rather than super+e

Seriously, I have my direction keys set up like vi directional keys and it's great.