Mac Protips General

Put your display to sleep, but not the computer

Go to Automator, create a new Service. Set the input to None, add a Run Shell Script action. Put this in
pmset displaysleepnow

Save it, name it something like "Sleep Display Now".

Open System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services

Scroll down and find "Sleep Display Now" or whatever you named it. Make a keyboard shortcut, I use Cmd Option \ because it's near the Cmd Option Eject, which puts the entire computer to sleep.

-----------------

do you have another mac? maybe you just want to control your volume from the terminal.

alias mute='osascript -e "set Volume 0"'
alias vollowest='osascript -e "set Volume 1"'

set this up on a machine you regularly ssh into and you can control the volume from the terminal

the volume goes up to 10 i think

------------------

# Finder
alias hideFiles='defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO; killall Finder /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app'
alias showFiles='defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES; killall Finder /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app'

Other urls found in this thread:

jblevins.org/log/kbd
support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

like this

Or you could have just cmd+shift+eject/power and did that without all that hassle, which puts the display to sleep...

My bad it's actually ctrl+shift+eject, not cmd

that puts the whole computer to sleep.

run a ping and do that. you'll notice the ping stops.

run a ping before you do the one in op, you'll notice the ping keeps going

I'm getting my first and new MBP delivered tomorrow.

Thank you for this thread.

No it doesn't, literally try doing this: ctrl+shift+eject, it puts the screen to sleep. I just did it and tried the ping test. You are confusing it with cmd option eject.

ah, this is correct

>Mac OS X Tips

Tip: it's called macOS now you massive fucking faggot.

>implying i'm going to make an entirely new logo when i can just google and get one that's good enough in 5 seconds

>Posting a mockup, not an actual screenshot

>Using a fagbook in the first place

How the fuck do you disable drop shadows around window borders. They are a fucking travesty.

People being homophobic in 2016 still surprise me, I don't get it. Cheer up man.

See.

I've got an old macbook from PC recycle, it boots up to the lock screen but I haven't got a password for it. Command + R doesn't seem to boot up into anything, so it may have been disabled by the previous owner. Think there's any other way to factory reset this thing? Will replacing the hard drive do me any good?

You can put displays to sleep with Control + Shift + Eject too.

please return your stolen macbook to its rightful owner.

Not really; it's been thrown away and employees are free to scavenge if they so happen to need a part that's been thrown away. Bump for question.

Currently running OS X 10.11.6

Is there a reason for me to upgrade to MacOS 10.12?

I'd say if it's an older unit you can probably just reset or replace the hard drive.

If it's a newer unit it may be EFI locked.

Either way, grab as many as you can, sell for parts & not working on eBay, and get a side business. Capitalize on corporate waste.

Karabiner.App > Set PauseBreak to Power button behaviour

They fixed the filesystem

faggot detected.

which he wouldn't be using yet

Some must-have apps:

-Amphetamine, if you have a MBP/MBA/etc. Lets you toggle between keeping the computer "awake" (ie, not going to sleep after a certain amount of idle time) and the default behavior. Free in the app store.

-Spectacle. Window management: press command-alt-left arrow to make the current window take up the left half of the screen, shift-control-command-right arrow to make it take up the lower-right 1/4, etc. Free, google it.

-Little Snitch. Lets you know when any executable accesses the internet, and lets you choose to block it, allow it, only allow it for the current session, etc. $35, but easily pirateable, google it.

-If you just want a simple music player, Vox. Pushes "premium" features on you, but it's entirely usable without them. Free in the app store.

Those are the ones I mainly use. There's also others like Coconut Battery (shows details on battery status), smcFanControl (laptop fan controls), and Alfred (improved Spotlight), but I don't think they're must-haves.

You can also use ShiftIt instead of spectacle. Works for me.

I also highly recommend the pro version of Alfred. Being able to set up custom keybinds (like alt + t) to open apps (like iTerm2) is great.

I recommend Atom. Some people call it a meme but it's a very solid piece of text editor and comes with all the bells and whistles you could want.

Lastly, ohmy-zsh is an excellent shell.

Welcome to the true master race.

And one last thing:
jblevins.org/log/kbd
Official page here: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

Is it possible to rebind the power button on my macbook pro to sleep?