Home Network Equipment /hne/

What home network equipment do you have and what line are you connected to?

Have you flashed your home router with OpenWRT or DDWRT or something else?

How many devices are connected to your home network?

Any equipment you wholeheartedly recommend? Any tips/advice/suggestions for novices?

TrendNET TEW811DRU running DD-WRT on Comcast 80/5
At the moment 6 of 10
The ASUS RT-AC86U is pretty good...

>What home network equipment do you have and what line are you connected to?

Asus RT-88U 60/10

>Have you flashed your home router with OpenWRT or DDWRT or something else?

Merlin

>How many devices are connected to your home network?
>Any equipment you wholeheartedly recommend? Any tips/advice/suggestions for novices?

Asus is rock solid. LACP support is nice.
I'm switching to a full ubiquiti unifi stack within the next few months.

>What home network equipment do you have and what line are you connected to?
48 Mb/s AT&T U-verse.
2wire 3600HGV in bridge mode.
pfSense VM on home server with gigabit Wi-Fi card.
>Have you flashed your home router with OpenWRT or DDWRT or something else?
See above. I used to have a WRT54G with DDWRT.
>How many devices are connected to your home network?
Wi-Fi: 4 smartphones, Android tablet, 2 Chromecasts
LAN: HP Color LaserJet Printer
>Any equipment you wholeheartedly recommend? Any tips/advice/suggestions for novices?
pfSense is GOAT. Realtime adblocking and virus scanning before it reaches the network. You can run it on an unused laptop or desktop, or in a VM if you have a home server.
If your ISP provides you with a modem/router combo don't use the router part of it. They're backdoored and can possibly give anyone access to your LAN. You should get your own router and put it between the ISP-provided device and your home network.

It finally came.
And the 24 port managed gigE switch I was using died at the same time.

Any suggestions for a new managed switch? I only need 8 ports, vlans, and preferably aggregation.

How does pfSense work?

What's the best;

DD-WRT, Tomato or Open WRT

Or is pfSense a router firmware

Other equipment:
Two cheapo Edimax APs being used as bridges
Old RouterStation Pro being used as switch and AP.
Judging off of DHCP leases and static stuff, maybe 18 devices total.

pfSense in theory is best since it's BSD-based, but if OpenWRT does everything you want and your hardware has enough horsepower to route at line speed then you might as well use it.

Firewall
> PCEngines APU1D4 / Untangle UTM

Switch
> Dell X1018P (16+2 port PoE managed gig-e)

Wireless AP
> EAP1750H - Band steering and guest wireless w/ isolation enabled

Phones
> Polycom CX700 OCIM / Lync phones

Everything is cabled, because wireless is just for convenience.

Oh cool! A new subreddit on Sup Forums

pfsense is a firewall/router distribution of BSD. You install it like you'd install an OS on a computer. Chances are it doesn't work on your Asus/Netgear/Chingchong chinkbox. You can build specialized hardware for it or virtualize it and run it in a VM that has at least 2 dedicated NICs.

And it's fucking glorious.

Hmmm seems like more work than I want for my small home network.

I'll probably be putting Open-WRT on my netgear then

had a tplink 4300nd router with ddwrt and I've just installed an edgerouter x. Now that handles wan, dhcp, nat and qos. The rest of the ports have my desktop, the router as a wifi ap, an 8TB NAS and a switch that handles a ps3, tv and wdtvlive.
Edgerouter works flawlessly, and it's more than enough to handle that setup and pretty much anything I add in the future, if you have a gigabyte internet connection you could try the edgerouter lite.

It's actually a more Sup Forums and tech related thread than most of the other generals.

What's a decent gigabit router that can trunk vlan frames through a WAN port?

I want to start getting into this, where can I start?
I have a shitty ISP issued modem/router, how can I secure and gain actual control of my network besides just changing it's passwords?

Nokia IP60 as the firewall
Pair of TRENDnet unmanaged switches
Asus NT-R66U for wireless

I have a small collection of old firewalls that don't really serve any purpose, they're just for fucking around with. Sometimes I swap them in for the IP60.
Nokia IP350
Netscreen NS-5GT
Pair of Cisco PIX 515e

Does one really need a physical stand-alone firewall in their home?

Nope. The Asus could handle it just as easily.

I'm running a Linksys WRT54GL with dd-wrt, the free version. I have my main pc and secondary hooked up with ethernet chords to it and the rest of the family has a couple of wireless units around the house. I finally got the QoS settings to a sweet spot where them using their social media doesn't kill the internet, our upload speed is total garbage so it doesn't take a lot to kill it.

Are there any quality of life tweaks you guys do in dd-wrt that you could recommend?

What are the benefits?

What are the benefits?

> open thread, ctrl+f ubiquiti

good man, only one with any sense around here

Cheapest and easiest way is probably to switch the modem/router to bridging mode (disable DHCP and other routing functions, make it a modem basically) and hook up your own router.