/pcbg/- PC Building General

Tuesday's almost gone edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Significantly outdated "Good" and "Very Good" tiers
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed) (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hjWSRTYV8e0
pcpartpicker.com/list/Nzs2r7
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369&ignorebbr=1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121899&ignorebbr=1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132512&ignorebbr=1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139142&ignorebbr=1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233831&ignorebbr=1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139058&ignorebbr=1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373&ignorebbr=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/s4X64C
pcpartpicker.com/list/tRvmxY
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MD2cM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/vLF64C
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9hFjWX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'll try to answer any question you cucks and kikes have about specific hardware or compatibility
Except if you're a Burkina Fasoan. Fuck Burkina Faso and all the limpdicks who live there.

Guide on frames.
youtu.be/hjWSRTYV8e0

The latest version of my design that I'll be ordering in a few weeks time

>Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
>Noctua NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
>MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
>Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
>Corsair Force LS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
>MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
>Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case
>FSP Group Hydro G 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
>Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
>Acer XG270HU 27.0" 144Hz Monitor

It's been through a number of changes since I first posted about 3 threads ago, but I think I've got it to where I want it to be.

>Yes I want a 6700K
>Yes I want the 1080 and not the 1070
>Yes my MOBO is MSI and not Asus
>Yes I want 8GB or RAM and not 16GB you memeing fucks
>Yes I only have a 240GB SSD (inb4 cuck)

pic related, the case

RX 480 vs GTX 1060

Wat buy?

>his future PC has as much RAM as VRAM

You bought into the hyperthreading meme why wouldn't you buy into the 16GB meme? It's the cheaper meme
~Some guy using 9GB right now

This

t. using 9 GB as well right now, and on i5

Was going to try to wait until cyber monday to upgrade things, but my laptop screen broke and no way on hell am I going a month without a computer (only have laptop right now).

Thinking about getting one of the ultrabook things, but I'm wary about them. Anyone have any opinions? Found one for about $800 with a a 500gb solid state (or 1T normal hardrive), and intel 520 or something. Don't know much about, what would you do for laptop primarily used to watch video and shitpost?

>falling for the 16 GB RAM meme
You only need more than 8 if you run multiple monitors.

You mean... you don't???

No because I'm not an autist.

enjoy having to ctrl + alt all the time lmao

>having ADHD so bad you have to have 50 different things streaming in the background while gaming
wew

>not watching the news or some sports stream while you're playing CoD

Get a Zotac or PNY 1080.

>Seagate

RIP YOUR DATA

I'm probably going to get a 1080 Ti if they come out.

Can someone rate/advise my build? I litterally threw it together in the span of maybe 10 minutes by browsing what the best selling things were off Newegg that were within the budget/power I was looking for

>CPU - $340
Intel i7 4970k

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369&ignorebbr=1

>GPU - $320
ASUS GTX 970 4GB

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121899&ignorebbr=1

>Mobo - $110

Asus Z97

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132512&ignorebbr=1

>PSU - $120

Corsair 120W

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139142&ignorebbr=1

>RAM - $88

16GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 2133

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233831&ignorebbr=1

>Case - $60

Corsair Carbide Silent Series

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139058&ignorebbr=1

>SSD - $157

500GB Samsung Evo

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373&ignorebbr=1

Going to reuse my 1TB HDD from my current computer and also getting a Hyper212 heatsink again.

All in all it's about $1100. Probably don't plan on making any purchases until Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

>970
stop

I can do that on my phone with one touch...

What's wrong with a 970? What would be better?

How much do you actually save on computer parts on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

It's hit or miss depending on what actually gets put on sale. But the last time I built my PC back in '13 I saved quite a bit on various parts here and there. Definitely worth the wait rather than paying full retail price.

3.5 housefire
Just get a 1070 or literally anything else.

Is a ASUS Z170-P an ok mobo, should I get something else instead?

Have any of you tried buying cheap windows 10 OEM keys? I really want to avoid the expensive original retail prices.

I bought mine from ebay. Just look for a seller with a lot of stars and good feedback. And read through the feedback.

My key cost like 20€

Thanks babe

rip a windows 7 key off an old laptop
dont spend any money at all on windows

(you)
Seriously, this is awful. You can do about this good or better for the same price.

This is 100$ more and has a modern GPU.

My updated build, im pretty new to all this so any recommendations are greatly appreciated, thank you
pcpartpicker.com/list/s4X64C

>Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
>CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
>Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
>Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
>MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
>NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
>EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
>Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan
> Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor (x2)
Still looking for a good keyboard and mouse but every single one gets complaints so ill have to wait on choosing those

Are you going to edit videos and shit?

Where'd you get your parts from friend ?

My parts. I will mostly be gaming and video editing

>Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz
>Gigabyte GeForce GTX GV-N1080G1
>Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
>Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
>EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W
>MSI Pro Solution Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard
>WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive
>Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz (PC4-19200) C14 Memory Kit - Black
>Corsair Carbide Series Black 300R Windowed Computer Case

And some fans

Let me know if this is good. I take your criticism very seriously!

Does one really need an anti static wristbands for first time pc build?

no :/ are some of the parts overkill? im still iffy on this stuff

just get one, theyre like 5 bucks and then you wont have to worry about static electricity fucking your shit up.

cpu and mobo prices from a local Micro Center
Win 10 from Kinguin
Case from Newegg
pcpartpicker.com/list/tRvmxY

Hey guys im having trouble with getting my pc to run. Last night I had the cases power button lit up but today ive got no light after following the manual and making sure everything was in properly. Where do I go from here? If i plug in the 12V and 24-Pin will my cpu cooler/fan start up? So far everything has been dead.

I'm a fucking dumbass.

I'll be doing the gayming and some light CAD work on NX 9.0.

plug in the cord on the right [spoiler]:^)[/spoiler]

my bad, not gonna do editing, just playing games and this is my 1st build, im pretty computer stupid

Is it a good idea to base my build around the case?

I like the look of those small cases, I think fractal do them. I just need a medium spec for programming and to replace a couple of laptops that are getting old now. A decent GPU would be nice. Would a small case have enough room for a medium spec build?

Does mini itx build make sense? Should I wait for kaby lake?
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MD2cM8

Not so much the case, but the form factor + price is what you want to look for.

I tried to scrap together a list, knowing very little about building computers, using one of the builds in the OP links as a starting point.
I am a little uncomfortable with the idea of overclocking, as I've never done it before (let alone building a computer), and I'm not even sure how necessary I find it to be (when considering the higher heat trade-off), but I didn't see an option on the site to select a non-k model of that series.

I intend on using it for gaming (VR as well) and (potentially) things like 3D modelling and image editing.

I thank you for your time and advice.

You don't need an i7 then. Switch to i5

Are gaming mobos a meme?

Newegg mostly. I bought my processor from a local Microcenter. Typically they're cheaper on CPUs.

I think I may have bought a HDD or SSD from Tiger Direct but the majority of my parts I ordered through Newegg

>32gb ram

Really nigga?

Why do you need a full tower when mid towers efficient

Like I said, I don't know shit.
I guess I could do 16GB instead and drop down to a mid tower.

Where's your hard drive? :O

I picked out a solid state drive there. I already have two external hard drives.

cool, ty :)

I dont understand whats going on. I just breadboarded this to make sure it was working, I shorted it with a screw driver and everything started working fine. Now that I've put the mobo back into the case its not working anymore???? The fuck

shit mobo

have you tried plugging in the other cables too?

I done it with just the two before because i didnt want to overcomplicate it and it worked fine with both connectors. Now for some reason it wont respond at all.
Elaborate? Why would it work before and not now?

I also had it working with the power button via the Power SW

did you try turning it on and off again?

Standoffs/shorting somewhere?

Im checking that now, how will I know for sure? Whay should I be looking for on particular?

pcpartpicker.com/list/vLF64C
>Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
>CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
>Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
>Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
>Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
>Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini ITX OC Video Card
>Silverstone ML08B HTPC Case
>Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

What'd I fuck up?

Considering going up to a 3 or 4TB HDD, do they have significantly worse failure rates or anything?
Also, is the extra .2GHZ of the 6600k worth the extra cash? I assume not but it can't hurt to confirm, I guess.

Another question sorry, my IO Plate isnt touching my mobo, should it be?

Don't let the mobo come into contact with any metal on the case. Make sure there are supports/standoffs between mobo and case. Your mobo should come with them or the case may have them preinstalled

>IO Plate
Don't think that matters, but they are annoying

I see no point in getting a GTX1070 and i5-6600, specially with that case.

Why? I want a decent gaming PC, I'm just also interested in having something small. The airflow is perfectly fine with the way the case is laid out, the PSU, CPU and GPU fans are all pulling directly through the grills.

You shouldn't get last gen parts without a good reason, and you ESPECIALLY shouldn't get last gen parts from Nvidia.

Let me say this.
I have a silverstone raven rvz02 and same cooler as you have picked with i5 4670k and a gtx970, it runs pretty hot quickly.
My friend has recently build a pc of his own with thermaltake core v1, which has a pretty small footprint plus he can add some nice cooling to keep everything cool. I suggest you look into alternatives. Just saying since I don't think you will be happy with the heat.

Do you OC at all? Thanks for telling me this by the way, the first hand anecdote is useful.

I cant fucking build a 2k PC, its like im autistic or something, is there hope for me Sup Forums?

No I haven't but I will have to get a new case so I can get better airflow and cooling.
If you're gonna go with this case or anything similar, I suggest getting i3 6100 and GTX 1050ti or GTX1060 but if you have time to wait. Wait for the kaby lake i3, seems like it will run cooler and on less power while delivering "14%" more "performance".

Drop to an i5-6500 and switch the 3.5" Seagate for a 2.5" HGST Travelstar or get a bigger SSD.

Not the user, but also interested in a compact gaming pc. What if I only play somewhat older games and the only modern games I play are only Civ VI and Skyrim (I know, I suck casual dick)?

Why drop the 3.5? It does fit, the PC Part Picker thing just doesn't account for the extra mounting point you get when you use a short GPU.

Smaller drive = possibly better airflow
You want a gaming PC in an extrem form factor, you have no luxury regarding space. I can only agree on what the other user said, you'll sooner or later run into temp probs.

Sure just get an i3 6100 along with a gtx1050ti or gtx1060 since they're less power hungry and won't generate too much heat, thus won't reach any horrible temps and throttle.

Are any of the console shaped cases actually good enough at cooling to handle high TDP components?

The remastered skyrim or skyrim with mods can benefit from the 1060, if only because the game runs like shit anyway

Is your GPU blower style? That's pretty important I think, in such a cramped case.

Yeah it's hard to bring a gaming computer up to that price

Smaller drive = lower performance and MUCH lower lifespan
Don't fall for the laptop hard drive meme, get a single good 3.5" and place it well and then toss some SSDs all over the case

3TB drives have significantly worse failure rates

Is that the case, I can't see how you could fit a GPU on a normal ITX mobo and have it that thin?

Riser cards.

That GPU isn't using a blower cooler, which might fuck you over considering the high TDP. Consider going Founders.

But that means you can't use a 3.5 drive, so yymv.

Hahaha so I finally got the damn thing to work and now it wont connect to any monitor hahaha fuck

trash it
restart

Good SFF cases with airflow worth a shit? Budget isn't an issue.

The manta looks nice.

I'm Poor, I'm thinking of grabbing a Gtx 1050 and a nice Dell Optiplex Desktop with maybe an Ivy Bridge or Sandy bridge i5. total would be around $250

Is this a good idea? I would just play Mobas and Overwatch

Whats a wifi adapter do?
What does the k at the end of a CPU do?
Is it easy to fuck up your CPU when putting it in? It seems fragile as fuck
help pls D:

Shitposting and chinese cartoons

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9hFjWX

A WiFi adaptor lets your PC connect to WiFi. Useful if your motherboard has no WiFi built in.

K means it can be overclocked. Don't get the k if you don't want to overclock.
Fucking up a CPU install is easy but as long as you know what you're doing and don't have some kinda motor function disorder, you'll be fine.

so a PC cant connect to wifi without one? D:
i have no idea how to tell if a motherboard has wifi built in, but theyre pretty cheap so ill buy it, ty

WiFi should be listed in the features of a motherboard. And it'll have antennas coming out the back usually.

cool, idk what overclocking is or how to do it, but it sounds too complicated for me atm, im very new to all of this and am finally making the switch after playing on console forever, all the help is appreciated a ton

mine has this on the pcpartpicker website
ONBOARD ETHERNET
1 x 10/100/1000 Mbps
so i guess thats good?