Time to install Gentoo, with me luck

Time to install Gentoo, with me luck.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ACCEPT_KEYWORDS#Stable_and_unstable_keywords
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Make sure you either stick with the stable tree or unstable. Don't cross the beams unless you want to deal with a dependency headache

This. Crossing trees can make your system unstable as fuck too.

K thanks.

Tell Andrew I said hi.

I hope this will finally fix my graphics problems, everyone keeps telling me to install Gentoo.

When you get to the kernel config, check the wiki for your graphics card so you can enable the right options for it.

How do I stay stable?

>luck
you're doing it all wrong

You'll be back on Ubuntu within the day.

1) there are no trees, just keywords 2) no it doesn't. unstable everything fucks more things up than using stable as a default and manually keywording select few ~ packages that you want the newest version now

>not using ubuntu liveusb as an installation medium

Read this: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ACCEPT_KEYWORDS#Stable_and_unstable_keywords
If you want stable you just put the following line in /etc/portage/make.conf:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"

This lad is right, those two are fucking retarded and probably never used gentoo since they speak of trees.

Good luck

I can highly recommend ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"

using stable is basically masochism

its not even hard i dont get the meme

you literally just follow the instructions

Second this. Those retards have never used gentoo.

Thanks! I'll read this part. I'm not OP, I got Gentoo installed for almost a year. The USE and package atoms seem a bit confusing. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward!

>tfw to intelligent to install gentoo

I'm doing an install at the moment.
>8 hours and counting.
>emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world still running
>tfw I still have to compile the kernel, various tools and grub.

that would have been just dandy to know, rage quitted at installing gnome-extras/cinnamon cause were some masked fucking packages, now im on other distros
>wont name cause I know ill get ripped apart :(

>not starting with kernel, basic tools and grub
>not emerging gazillions of packages with --keep-going

never go full retard

>not following the guide when I'm not that familiar with the process
how does that make me a retard?
I have to learn how to walk before wanting to run.

That narrows it down to archlinux and mint, right?

Care to explain why?

>Care to explain why?
Because the package age is extremely hit-and-miss. Some things like ffmpeg and firefox get their stable versions routinely bumped, but other packages (e.g. mpv) are just completely neglected and the “stable” version ends up being years and years old and usually full of bugs.

It's the classic `debian stable` problem. Unless somebody's actually *backporting* fixes, “old” and “stable” are not the same thing, so all you're doing is sacrificing new bug fixes and features for the sake of nothing. And gentoo isn't exactly in the business of backporting fixes to 3-year old versions like debian etc. are doing

Also, many packages don't even have stable versions on gentoo. I've been running ~amd64 globally for many years now and my desktop experience has been significantly better than when I ran amd64; even if for the reduced maintenance overhead alone (before, I had to constantly add packages to my .accept_keywords because the stable version was too old, nonexistant or incompatible with other stuff that I was already forced to keyword)

I mean he'll get frustrated with Gentoo and then go back to whatever distros he came from.

>not using SystemRescueCD as an installation medium

Luck with you homboy!