Who told you about Linux or UNIX in the first place?

Who told you about Linux or UNIX in the first place?

(You) did.

anzu a cute

Why she got those Steve Buscemi eyes?

Holy shit is Anzu starting to get fat?

My dad's friend.

>starting

Some random French PhD student of my dad's. He even gave me a CD with Mandrake.

my friend back in 1999 taught me how to assemble a PC, one day he invited me over, he had a box full of old pc parts and an empty case, he told me to take all these parts and build a PC with them based on what he had already taught me

i built the PC and it ran perfectly, and as a reward he let me keep the PC i built, my first ever PC, i was so happy

it was this friend who introduced me to linux, i believe it was a very old version of red hat

i picked up a unix in a nutshell book at a book sale in middle school for 10c

still have it

taught me that commands have options and arguments. neato

Read an article about Red Hat in Time magazine back in 2000.

first person i can remember talking about linux was some guy i knew in high school in the late 90s, i never tried it because i was too busy being a gaymer on windows

friend of my parents across the road was running Slax (KDE3) on his machine from a 256M flash drive in 2004
it stood out, so i asked him about it

I installed Red Hat 5.1 from a disk that was on the cover of a computer magazine back in 1998. So it was PC Magazine that told me, I think

thanks ms skeltal

her mouth looks like a sphincter

and?

is this the closest to 2d that 3d will ever get?

I asked my dad when he was working on his doctorate thesis why his laptop had a weird looking desktop, he explained the software he was using only worked in a linux environment and red hat at the time (early 2000s) was the most widely used linux OS at OSU during this time.

My computer teacher on the 7th grade back on 2006. I asked him what was that Unix thing I read about when looking for MSN buzzhacks on Altavista, and he told me that it was a very powerful server OS. I asked him how to get it on my computer and he told me that Linux was the desktop version, and Unix was the same thing but for servers. Then I asked him where and how exactly to get it and he told me that an original copy would cost $1500 USD at least and provided me with the address of a computer repair shop in my town, but he said that I would have to ask them to import it for me because they never have that kind of products in stock.

I could tell that he was trying to scare me with the price, but I told him that my parents would fork the cash anyway because I was rich (richer than him anyway) and he was visibly upset. Then he started talking in a harsher voice tone and proceeded to rant about how I would need a very very powerful computer in order to support Unix, and that I would be lucky to even support Unix 2005, because Unix 2006 was so powerful that only super computers could run it. I told him that I indeed had a monster computer and he asked me if it was true, I told him that it was and he asked again, and we repeated that a few times as he got visibly more butthurt with each one. Of course I never asked my parents for $1500 to buy Unix 2005, I only had a Pentium IV with 512 MB or RAM after all...

Like six years later I learned the truth and noticed that all he told me was a lie. By the way, I actually found the buzzhacks I was looking for on a latter date, and I used them to spoof his messages on MSN and also to send him multiple buzzes; he asked me how I did it and I told him that I programmed a hack and he was legitimately amazed.

You did 8 years ago. T-Thanks.

Penguin was drawn as a mascot and I like penguins.
Wish I liked demons.

open source people in pokemon chats back in the day

asked a friend who's familiar with computers about that "operating system with the penguin" but he wasn't too familiar with it, then some day found a Knoppix CD in one of those computer magazines

I discovered it when I was a lame ass 13 years old that wanted to have a new skins on my windows start bar, after trying countless of virus infested shit to change the look, I discovered Linux and really liked how comfy gnome looked, so I installed Ubuntu 4 and spent weeks trying to get my mp3s to play.

My dad

Sup Forums told me, and I loved it ever since I tried out Debian two years ago, havent used Windows in years

A friend told me.

I miss him.

Foster care gossip about hacking game consoles and emulators n such led me to research hacking them of which led me to learning about Linux being ported to them. Ironically research of the iPod having Linux came first, because I wanted emulators on the most capable smallest device. At the end of the day I got a phat PSP hacked without Linux and a 98 desktop for muh poor people gaming. Now I just have a tablet. But anyway, the iPod having a Gameboy emulator on it told me.

That's what you get for not using FLAC asshole.

>2006
>Altavista

Why?

Because it was the best search engine.

By 2006 is was owned and powered by Yahoo.
It was Yahoo.

Who is she. I need sauce now!!!!!!

First few posts have her name. You can also reverse search one of the images ITT. Come on, put in at least a little bit of effort.

Freebie CD at some fair with kernel 2.0.34 on it. If u wonder it was SuSE's work.

What? No, you fucking lie.

My father is a diehard Linux user.

Wikipedia

I searched for operating systems beyond windows. Unfortunately I had to stay with Windows for software

perfect..

Sup Forums

Anzu brings up loli. Reverse search gives nothing.

I wanted to use freeBSD but it was taking too long to compile literally anything on my shitty laptop and nobody told 13 year old me about pkg_add

Linux looked easier

Then I found out freeBSD had no drivers for my NIC anyways

>Life by the Drop t. SRV

The web told me about Unix.

My professor

reminder anzu is a bulimic turkroach

/thread

And you are an ugly, smelly basement dwelling obese neckbeard with no job or friends

(You)

My uncle first introduced me in 2007, gave me an Ubuntu 7.10 live cd

He got some pretty rough news and started chemotherapy just yesterday

Post more Anzu. It's technology related.

What were the news?

That weird guy who used to install Linux in dorm while everyone was fucking. He's probably dead in some basement now

Lucky you

this is me
ive actually got a pretty decent job
i live in a two room house of my own and have a miata
ive really got into cars and regularly browse /o/ now
still a virgin tho

Some Mac magazine back when Apple acquired NeXT.

>i live in a two room house
That's not a house, that's a shack.

i meant apartment

>two room house of my own
>miata

you sound like a bro, where you live senpai

The internet, like any other sane person

i first tried linux through some 4 cd mandrake linux installation, and i also tried iru linux
both used kde if i recall correctly
i also gave beos a shot at around the same time, was fun

i haven't truly embraced it until i started learning how to use bash at my startup job tho

uncle Lester taught me many fobidden pleasures, linux included

A girl whom I was friends with.

Back in 2002 I learned how to format and install an operating system. So I was curious about other systems, I found this magazine with a cd that included knoppix. Then I actually bought 2 mandrake cds.

Then my dad got into computers and he wanted to try it too, but didn't like it.

Then in 2004, some dude on an IRC channel spent like a week helping me with Debian. I used it for about a month and then quit it.

Then as years passed I got more into games, but I was still curious, so I was always switching between one OS and another, dual booting and all of that shit. Nowadays I use Xubuntu because frankly I can't think of many games I would want to play these days.

Image for Ubuntu 9.04 on a disk that came with a computer magazine, with instructions on how to make a live usb. Have been toying around with Linux ever since, though not enough to use it as my primary operating system, because i am not a neckbeard.

>she

My wife Anzu is so cute!

Good. I love chubbies.

Some hacking guide called
1337 haX0rs Handbook in a .chm format I'd downloaded.
Fun times if I look back, actually

IKEA and their demonstration Macintosh aside (though I never owned a Macintosh), a tutorials website, formerly siteduzero.fr, now openclassrooms.com.

Some video on youtube of one of rms talks ironically.

The internet circa 2007, I don't remember exactly where but the last version of Windows I used on my own computers was XP, I still have never had a Vista/7/8/10 machine, only virtual machines for a few pieces of software in university.

The first version of Linux I used was Knoppix, off a live cd, with a KDE3 DE.

I assume I just stumbled on to its existence myself, I've never really known other serious Linux users in real life, and the few I know now mainly use it professionally but not as hobbyists, and I didn't start browsing Sup Forums until after I was using Linux.

A guy in a PSP homebrew chatroom in 2006

My dad. Since he likes bringing home tech shit from work, he brought home a penguin and he demonstrated how to make a linux CD while I had watched him.

My mom, being as tech savvy as she is, stuck sewing needles into it's head while she used windows XP. I love pinhead penguin.

I read about it somewhere and first tried it out around 1996 but the requirements for it were pretty fucking beefy foot print compared to windows and wasn't very good then. (newer minimalistic distros are significantly better for older hardware than distros of that era, but still either somewhat less usable and/or more footprint than windows of the era - albeit with software rot being more of a consideration windows side). Far better these days, but still somewhat crappy. Console side mostly good. GUI and usability side kind of dick - ironically it actually got worse than it used to be in the mid 2000's. Fuck people are shipping mainstream big name distros that crash the desktop entirely when you change the wallpaper for fuck sake.

No one. It was my first OS. The KDE minigolf was my only gayming sw for years.

>computer teacher on the 7th grade
Virtually all computer "teachers" in the primary schools were second rate hacks picking up a cushy job to shovel some basic of office software knowledge. Most of them were severely beyond incompetent even by teacher standards.

that's what she used to look like before going anorexic, now she's gaining some weight again

thanks mr skeltal

>this is one person

What voodoo magic did she use?!?!?!

anorexia is one helluva drug

lol someone hates their old high computer teachers.

Me and my friend were about 12 years old when we started going to a local dump that had a section for electronics to be recycled, we would go in and just take a bunch of old shitty PCs and Frankenstein them together. We then bought a red hat Linux book from a yard sale and started installing it to these computers, until we realized Ubuntu was much easier to use (bear in mind I was 12).

Sup Forums
t. underage

Oh man she looks 40 without makeup

I remember seeing my dad install Red Hat Linux early-2000 or something.

>before going anorexic

those fat pics are old as fuck you dumb motherfucker

No bully ;_;

>chemotherapy
>not knowing that it was cancer

>be me
>score summer programming internship at federal gov
>sit tight user, we need to requisition a computer
>days/weeks pass
>hey user, I see they still haven't got you a computer. You can use this one.
>mfw so old it's not allowed on network
>mfw linux?
>this command compiles java programs user, let me know if you need anything
>...
>okay, is just like King's Quest.
>start trying words
>mfw info command
>ruined for life

My father. He works with networks and shit and decided to set up dual boot on our family computer to paly around.

>pinhead penguin
Cute, do you have pics?

Learned about it when I heard you could install another OS on the PS3 which led me to installing YDL on my ps3 and after that experimenting with Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Fedora, and some others

Daddy

My OS teacher in compsci. He made all of us request an Ubuntu CD by mail.

I like this story

My first "Learn the Internet" book assumed you were on a UNIX system.

I constantly saw stickers of a penguin on people laptops and always thought it was something really gay. Eventually I googled it and turns out I was right.

I have him in storage. Here's a quick drawing from my memory.

>Eventually I googled it and turns out I was right.
I smirked.