VPS

How much can I do with 1 VPS (package #1) here?
hosthatch.com/openvz-ssd-vps
>1x Intel E5 3.5GHz+ Core
>256MB RAM
>30GB SSD
>1TB Bandwidth

Good enough for a webserver? Perhaps just an email server? Better to buy two #1s or one of the others there?

Is this the best/cheapest VPS btw?

OpenVZ or KVM?

The notion of a shared kernel seems... scary.

Other urls found in this thread:

billing.mycustomhosting.net/aff.php?aff=80
lowendstock.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>256MB RAM
>30GB SSD
>1TB Bandwidth

If those numbers are true, your VPS is good enough for a website. Although the 1TB Bandwidth seems kinds fishy for the price. You need to find and read the fine print to find out what 1TB Bandwidth actually means.

Also, it seems that they don't permit 1 month orders. This is a red flag.

Also, what are you planning to host more precicely?

yes you could host a website but not that many simultanious users will be able to hit it at once

yes you could make it an email server but why, hosting your own email is kind of a big hassle imo for no real return

Either an email server, or a webserver, or both on separate VPSs.

More likely just an email server though. I need a static (public) IP for it. I'm thinking it's best (both for simplicity and stability) to move over my setup to a VPS instead of having it on my Raspberry Pi and having some stupid VPN setup which makes it appear as though I have a static IP.

>big hassle imo for no real return
It's not that big of a hassle. I've got DMARC, DKIM, SPF, and all that shit going. Probably more secure than Hillary's private email server.

>Also, what are you planning to host more precicely?

people always do this, they find a cheap deal on hosting and try to do something with it, you are far far better off having a good idea for a website and paying too much for hosting than you are just finding cheap shit and looking for an excuse to use it because it means you have no ideas

i have tried to host my own email before, it was a pain in the ass. You have to stay on top of keeping your server OS updated and getting rid of spam and several other things and whenever someone says "did you get that email i sent" and you didn't....it's on you to figure out why...also hosting your email on the cheapest possible server from the cheapest possible host you can find means you might face hassles from their end in the future

using a gmail account for your "real" email is what almost all professionals do (if they are not using their work domain which is taken care of by an IT department)

>>big hassle imo for no real return
>It's not that big of a hassle. I've got DMARC, DKIM, SPF, and all that shit going. Probably more secure than Hillary's private email server.

well you should know that those specs in the OP will work for one guy's email then if you actually are hosting your own domain email now why ask us?

what kind of site specifically are you going to host

what do you have to give to the world with your websit

>now why ask us?
Because some things like a shared kernel likely means I'll be limited by what and how I can update things, and perhaps the choice of VPS could affect reliability, and I'd like those discrepancies elucidated.

It's not just about hardware.

Absolutely nothing. It's shit.

>Absolutely nothing. It's shit.

then why bother

please tell me it's not your blog

>Also, it seems that they don't permit 1 month orders. This is a red flag.
Not OP, but why is this a red flag? I know its not ideal, but why a red flag?

>please tell me it's not your blog
Of course it is (among other things). I did tell you it was shit, didn't I? I like tinkering with it though.

not that guy but i can tell you why they do it, nobody wants to bill you $2 a month because there is a fixed price to charge a credit card (per transaction) then a % fee they charge

it only makes sense to do 1 three month transaction vs. 3 two dollar transactions if there is a fixed cost per transaction (say 25cents)

256 MB RAM is real low. I hope this costs under $10/mo.

no offence but nobody is going to read your blog user

It's $8 a quarter. It's suspiciously cheap.

None taken. It's a useful tool to collect your thoughts though.

>It's $8 a quarter. It's suspiciously cheap.

think about it, it's not really enough to do anything

go sign up for AWS (amazon web service) I think they give you those specs on most servers for free (maybe without the bandwidth but still)

the reason amazon lets you spin up servers for free is they want nerds to tinker there then when the time comes for them to really do something or recommend hosting to their boss AWS will be on your mind

the massive data AWS goes though boggles the mind, one guy's blog and email means nothing to them

think about it, gmail or free server mail uses nearly the same data per month

For that price, get it just to check it out. Worst case scenario, you stop using this pos and use what you learned to get what you actually need. Best case, you get what you need for super cheap.

>It's $8 a quarter. It's suspiciously cheap.
Not really. I rent a $15/year VPS and mine is KVM.

Tell me more.

The AWS free tier instances are only free for the first year after signup. After that you pay normal usage rates.

Specs are not as good as OPs but they're plenty for what I'm doing.

billing.mycustomhosting.net/aff.php?aff=80

It is a tactic for catching normies/inexperienced webdevs. Its a cheap tactic to improve customer retention. If they are willing to do that, it raises a question, what other cheap tactics they use.

And also this But this guy is right. The min 3 month doesn't cost all that much. So if you are not an untouchable pajeet, losing 8 dollars should not be a life threatening contition for you.

lowendstock.com/
starting from 2$/year
take note of the restrictions and expect terrible support, make sure to make offsite backups regularly etc.

>Because some things like a shared kernel likely means I'll be limited by what and how I can update things,
I don't think that any VPN offers non-shared kernel. If you are looking for that, you better search for dedicated servers.

>OVZ
>NAT

>I don't think that any VPN offers non-shared kernel
Do you not understand virtualisation?

This site... I love it!

$10 != $2, and I literally just linked mycustomhosting 2 posts before you.