Can we agree that the web is dead?

>Have script blocker installed (of course)
>looking for examples of pure HTML sites
>see a discussion on search engine results
>click it
>white screen
>nothing loaded because I blocked the script that loads the site
>ironing of this degree

Fuck. Everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r38al1w-h4k
youtube.com/watch?v=XKpiP60HXwM
motherfuckingwebsite.com/
gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw
wiki.mozilla.org/Quantum
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

/thread

>Disables fundamental part of the web
>WEB IS DEAD!!!
Next you're going to be saying that Windows 10 is shit when you had never actually installed it

>javascript is "fundamental" part of the web

Looks like in trying to prove OP wrong you just proved him right.

But Javascript is a fundamental part of the web. Without it webpages won't even be able to run.

That's like saying EFI is an fundamental part of the ICE. While true, the far more robust and simple carb will do the job.

javascript was a mistake

hence why OP says "Fuck.Everything"

>Without it webpages won't even be able to run.

This is unrunnable page

kys you'reself

>go to typical modern website
>100 different ads/trackers/scripts blocked
>the site doesn't work at all, even CSS doesn't load
>allow javascript
>browser almost grinds to a halt due to the site being so bloated
what went wrong with modern web developers?

I also know that poo tastes bad without having tried it, don't you?

>I hate having a dynamic DOM
>I rather have a statical DOM parsed out of serialized DOM nodes (HTML)

this

it's either no content or no performance. There's no in-between

>Windows 10 is shit when you had never actually installed it

Do I really need to install it to know it's shit?

That's like saying "HEY JIMMY COME PLACE YOUR HEAD UNDERNEATH THIS TRACTOR TRAILER WHEEL, IT FEELS GOOD"

I do not need to do something to know it's stupid beforehand.

I unironically hope you kill yourself even though I know you're trolling

>You are self

Linux sucks. Haven't installed it but it sucks.

kill yourself you are self

Found the cuck

But who was phone

I reiterate this to all my webdev friends and their argument is always "hardware is getting more and more powerful and therefore it can handle 'modern' websites".

I see that comment on Sup Forums far too much as well.

Was not the entire point of technological advancement to make the load easier? Not stuff the load out with bricks to keep it the same.

>WHY CAN'T MY THINKPAD T60 VIEW MODERN WEBSITES?!!

Nice try. I have a 16-core dual-xeon system, 32 GiB of RAM and a GTX 970

Modern websites are still a lagfest. (Sup Forums is fine, though)

You missed the obvious retort: why shouldn't it?

>suggesting I move the goalposts instead of directly undermining your claim

>modern websites
websites aren't meant to be your fucking canvas, go play with brushes and paint if you want to be an artist

You only know because you smelled poo.

Furthermore smelling and eating are almost the same (molecular wise).

Therefore you only "know" poo tastes bad because you "ate" it, yes.

Thanks for proving anons point.

its time to come back

>i hate change :(
sorry, web 4.0 didn't evolve with autism in mind

Gopher is the bomb.

>change is inherently good

b-b-but just buy a more powerful computer! it's $current_year after all! I need 5MB of jquery to animate my shitty website and make polyfills for IE6 t: typical webdev

>You only know because you smelled poo.
Yes, and by analogy I've seen windows 10, seen it in use, and know about its “features”.

So how come I can't use that to conclude that Windows 10 is shit, just like I can use the smell of poo to conclude that the taste is shit?

The only people who benefit from this are hardware manufacturers.

Are you a hardware manufacturer, user? If not, why are you defending their profit margin?

JS = ANSI.SYS

It devolved into crappy bloat.

youtube.com/watch?v=r38al1w-h4k

It's getting better. Jquery is slowly dieing. Developers are starting to use pure js. JS won't be replaced anytime soon, but it's getting more efficient. SO answers are mostly suggesting to not use jquery and this is were pajeets get most their answers

no, it evolved with marketing and bloat in mind, which is an even worse fate

Don't you worry, webassembly will come and make it “acceptable” to put gigantic heavy client-side apps on the web again.

Brace for a new generation of slow-as-shit websites

DUDE BUZZWORDS LMAO

Does CSS fit in to the "pure HTML" world? Obviously its not pure HTML but does it have the same issues as Javascript in terms of being bloat on the web?

Why is javascript so terrible?

no phones on my web REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If you remove CSS you just get a site that looks different, but the function is largely the same.

A lot of the time you can remove JS and get absolutely nothing -- the site simply does not function at all.

We often say that there are no good browsers

In reality there are just shitty bloated websites

Browsers should just render simple formatted pages, not compiling and executing terrible inefficient shit

I don't use wangblows anymore personally for years now, yet at work I manage some 108 machines all running win10
I had to install them all, too. (and by install I mean clone)
I had more horror stories about win10 over the three months I had to deploy and maintain win10 at work than my whole over a decade long lelnix experience.
TL;DR spydows10 is poo and nothing's gonna change that.

Another good one by this guy

youtube.com/watch?v=XKpiP60HXwM

The problem is that pure content is harder than pure spectacle.

>If you remove CSS you just get a site that looks different, but the function is largely the same.
Disabling CSS usually breaks websites even more than disabling JS does

(Try it)

True. You can't limit space or bandwidth, but Google should award lighter websites by putting them higher up in the search results.

Your site is bloated mess? It goes down in the results

Just imagine how fast the web would be by now if we had kept it limited to this.

Then again, I'm perhaps a little too positive towards text, because its low barrier to entry makes it easy to save, and easy to interact with.

It's important to remember that things like BBS and Usenet stayed on pure text for a long time after faster and more powerful hardware and infrastructure became widespread. the 1KB/s speed of the mid 80s onwards is really fast for pure text.

This entire post is only 503bytes.

remember when HTML was a document format?

oh, I 'member.

Kill yourself please.

It's just the right level of bad where people have to use a generous amount of duct tape to fix it but not terrible enough that people just replace it outright.

OP's page is 3.3KB. Meaning that it would have downloaded in about one second on connection speeds at the time.

Try find a website today that will download and render so quickly, even on super-fast broadband and a new machine.

>>looking for examples of pure HTML sites
The OpenBSD website is still pure HTML.

Most modern web developers never went to college, or started before college and hammered bad practices into their heads.

Some use WYSIWYG(What you see is what you get) programs to do HTML, CSS, etc with and the result is an unreadable mess.

I view CSS as the same as HTML. Pretty much everything you can do with CSS you can do with inline or embedded styling. It's just a convenient way to apply styling rules to multiple pages.

Shut your fucking mouth windows cuck boy.

They have css inline.

>looking for examples of pure html
>doesn't create his own
GTFO OP

I tried 10 and can confirm it's trash

>Pure HTML sites

motherfuckingwebsite.com/

>dynamic DOM
>not calling it dynamic or interactive website
KYS faggot
You are the reason why they hate webdevs (FE/BE, any language)

Tbh as long as a website isn't using to much js for shit like scrolling (especially that parallax shit) then I'm usually okay with most "modern" designs.

My setup is a Gopherhole and a gopher -> http proxy (wip) which serves up ("pure") HTML versions of menus.

It does use a little CSS though, I'm not sure if there's a truly pure HTML way of dictating margins between certain elements, but without CSS it just makes ASCII art look a little odd and otherwise is fine (pic related)

>about 4 minutes in
>that fat/g/uy eating cheaps

CSS is its own kind of garbage.
It contains:
>style
>animations -> this belongs somewhere else
>layout -> this would belong in HTML, but HTML is shit as well
And CSS does its part to make the web slow as well.
Proof: Make your own Atom theme and make it as minimal as possible; i.e. no rounded borders, box lines, shadows, gradients and other crap. It will be MUCH more fluid.
It then could even be much more fluid again without all the implicit garbage.

TL;DR: The whole browser stack is garbage.

>google analytics javascript
Design isn't the only issue with Javascript

acknowledging the problem doesn't mean there isn't one

I'd rather have render bytecode, where the browser renders a page ONE time at the beginning and places link areas.
Without any kind of interactivity beside the links.

It's called Gopher.

Seriously, having the links be separate from the body of text is a stroke of genius in hindsight considering its been found that hyperlinks in text break concentration.

So what would be your "best" site in design only written in plain html?

I really want to see one. And non of these "this site is only made out of this text".

HTML is a document format, the whole point of it is to display formatted text.

Images were added when people wanted to look at pictures.

Java and other plugins were added when people wanted to play games and listen to music and watch videos "inside" their browser.

Javascript was sorta like Netscape's answer to Java. Rather than using a separate program for random bloat you just add the bloat directly to the web browser!

CSS was added when formatting these large heavy webpages became too difficult.

Who even decides stupid version numbers for the web?

>evolve
shut the fuck up

People like this actually exist. No wonder the web is ded.

I'll go to mars just so I don't have to breath the same air as you.

(you)

>he doesn't have a 10^100 core 2^100 bit computer
what are you, gay?

Imo you should allow first party scripts, and block everything 3rd party. Unfortunate;y that's hiw it's got to be now.

Ignorant fucking ape

>what went wrong with modern web developers?

More tracking means the site can be optimized for more useful content. Heatmap tracking for example allows you to see exactly who bothers reading which part of the site. It sounds stupid, but it is actually a concern in many companies I've built websites for.

Beyond that you must have the like button javascript for every goddamn social media outlet there is, because otherwise none would be able to share your pages. No, normies are not capable of copy pasting a url, and word of mouth only works if you are Maddox.

And of course you have ads, because you must also make money to pay for things like hosting.

I took a closer look at gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw which is the same idea, and they actually use a big with each resource being a row, with to indicate a monospace font and all spaces converted  , meaning no need for CSS.

My example was using for each resource (line), with CSS removing the margins, would you say their approach is better? It is pure HTML.

The ironic thing is that their hosting is only so expensive because of all this bloat. If they pulled back on that shite they'd cut their page size down to ¼ if not more.

I've been browsing with noscript and request police on for a long time, and no cookies. I only have the most frequent sites I use whitelisted, and I don't use cookies anywhere.

I use a separate browser profile for websites I have to log onto, and I strictly use it for that purpose.

The web has been dead for a while. I actually don't mind browsing like this though, as in most cases it just lets me read the text while blocking out all the bullshit. I wish that we hadn't gotten to the point we are at today.

And get no revenue because only autists on Sup Forums prefer static pages with no features.

You could just use lynx or elinks.

I really wonder what the best design of the 90s and 00s would do against modern minimalistic designs which try to appear "oldschool".

>go to a stream site with chatroom
>stream isnt even on
>only me in chatroom, we post once every few weeks
>only 11 tabs, 4chans and stream site
>have vm running
>this setup is usually good past 300 tabs
>computer keeps locking up, like bad
>this is a decent build, should NOT lock up under these conditions
>terminal - htop
>ram
>maxed
>out
>swap disabled, why the fuck would I need that I know how to manage
>been here before.jpg
>close the single tab for the streaming site that is literally doing nothing
>mfw 3gb of ram becomes free

This shit really needs to be illegal. fuck java script, fuck "web developers", and fuck all of your riced out webpages.

They're not strictly set by anyone but 1.0 was defined as static webpages served server side. 2.0 is interactive or dynamic webpages that can be modified client side. 3.0+ is probably just a fancy way of saying "comes with spyware"

I do

>16-core dual-xeon system
How fast are they clocked though? If your web browser runs as a single thread then all the cores in the world won't help you.

>How fast are they clocked though?
3.3 GHz boost / 2.6 GHz bulk (Sandy Bridge EP generation)

first of all, it can thanlyouverymuch.jpg
second of all: that doesn't mean websites should or need to be this bloated. html5 + css should be enough for most things.

Using javascript to load the actual content is retarded unless the content is bigger than 5mb.

The jews have won. There is neocities.org tho

wiki.mozilla.org/Quantum

Quantum CSS(Stylo) and Quantum DOM will be able to take advantage of your hardware. Stylo in particular will be the biggest performance increase since it scales up with the number of processor cores/threads.