CompSci major and finally looking into switching from Mac to PC after Apple shit the bed with that touch bar...

CompSci major and finally looking into switching from Mac to PC after Apple shit the bed with that touch bar. I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Surface family, and the Pro looks cool.

Would you guys recommend it?

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/surface-book-update-history
buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac
apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MLL42LL/A&step=config#
twitter.com/AnonBabble

going from business-class clamshell to consumershit convertible sounds retarded.

Install Gentoo on it

why are you switching from mac?
what year is it from?

>hey everyone apple installed a touchbar on my macbook and removed a load of ports so I want to buy something else
If you have a capable system then keep using it you fucking mong.

I wonder what the difference between the surface book and the surface book "performance base" is. everything, and I mean everything looks exactly the same to me. anyone care to comment on this?

Pro is great, but be sure it meets your performance/spec needs.

Also, the keyboard and screen are nice but still not ideal for long term typing/programming/development. Good for the occasional mobile development, but you'll want a proper monitor or two and keyboard/mouse at home.

dell xps 15's are pretty nice

Surface Pro 4 is god tier. 3:2 IPS 4k display, far better sRGB coverage and the Surface Pen >>> Apple Pen. Type cover is iffy for long term use but not terrible. Not so great with airplane tray tables.

>Implying that god awful MBP chicklet was any better

SurfaceBook is better than the SurfacePro desu senpai.

Don't get a pro. The type cover and the stupid stand are just annoying enough to make it a non starter. Get a surface book if you want hardware from ms

>appleshit
>business class

If you actually think the Apple chicklet keys and the surface pro type cover keys are in the same universe you're retarded. Those type covers are awful

From a Surface Pro 4 user:

Perfect, ultimately portable device for doing medium CPU work. Touch screen is an addictive way to interact. You'll miss it whenever you get to use a colleague's PC and find yourself accidentally touching to their screens to interact.

Cool as hell to log in with your face using Windows Hello. Logs me in faster than I type my password.

Some minor flaws:
- Screen brightness fluctuates at some spots on the screen as you pen-draw on it.
- Connecting to the Mobile hotspot of your Lumia is a pain in the ass, not a problem on a Carbon X1, might be a defect of this particular Surface though...
- Single USB port might be a problem to some, but not for me.
- Sleep is unreliable, I always either hibernate or shut it down. It turns back on within 5 seconds, though.

Would recommend it to whoever has the money for it.

>want laptop with screen that's not 16:9
>only options are macs, chromebook pixels and surface book
>all expensive as shit

>everything, and I mean everything looks exactly the same to me.

It's physically larger (the base is thinker near the screen), has a more powerful GPU with more RAM, and has a larger battery.

It also eliminates most of the hinge gap that everyone got so autistic about with the first gen.

>It also eliminates most of the hinge gap that everyone got so autistic about with the first gen.
performane base is still first gen. just some higher sku of it.

>minor flaws:
>- Sleep is unreliable, I always either hibernate or shut it down. It turns back on within 5 seconds, though.
how the fuck is that minor?
that's basic functionality for a laptop.

I'm pretty sure they already fixed this. Or maybe that was just the sleep issues the Surface Book was having on launch.

I implied nothing. A basically said what you just did. Keyboard is alright, but not worthwhile for any long term use.

Fuck off Pajeet. Learn to shit in a fucking toilet.

Surface Pro 3 & 4 are also 3:2.

Still expensive though.

>switching from mac to pc
>implying your current mac is going to somehow get a touchbar

what are you even doing in computer science? you're probably shit at it, especially if you don't understand the unix/stanford/berkley philosophy of computing

>Or maybe that was just the sleep issues the Surface Book was having on launch.
>on launch
how come every firmware update still fixes something related to sleep
microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/surface-book-update-history

>implying your current mac is going to somehow get a touchbar

I think OP was saying that they were due for an upgrade, but the memebar wasn't something they were interested in. Which you wouldn't be if you were going to use the function keys on a regular basis.

And now I'm remembering that even modern ThinkPads have function keys that are subordinate to media functions and other superfluous shit.

God damn it.

Let me hijack this thread very quickly.
If I wanted to buy a mac what should I go for? Is it still worth buying the unupdated models? The new macbook pro is too expensive.

Currently my focus is on the macbook air but it was released almost 2 years or so ago. I am very sceptical buying used/refurbished laptops, should I rethink this?

>plastic is better than metal
also what is even the point of such durability? i dont go to war or anything with a laptop

buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

Why would you switch to Windows as a comp sci major? You could probably wait for the new MacBook to come out and then get the older one for cheap.

What is your primary language?
IDE?
Text editor?
Come on, OP, this shit is important.

There's more money in Windows.

.Net drones make far less than rockstar web-devs

>rockstar
>web-devs

This is what mactoddlers actually believe.

ever heard of bootcamp?
Macbooks are one of the best Windows laptops.

even .Net conferences are full of them.

>throttling overheating exploding trash
>best anything

its saying buy the new macbook pro. I am pretty sure its not a buy. I guess I should look if older models dropped in price. That the macbook air is a no buy is too bad.

Sure, Macs are nice and expensive
But the market is hinging on Windows for desktops and laptops.
Sorry to break it to you

ABSOLUTELY NOT

You don't have to get the touch bar, you know that right?

apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MLL42LL/A&step=config#

because there are no Kaby Lake CPUs that replace those specific Skylake SKUs yet retard

Those won't be available until sometime in early 2017.

Hahahahaha... oh man. If you think Apple is shitting the bed, I can't wait for you to see Windows 10.

>writing or maintaining .NET spagetti

why not just neck yourself already

Just get a Dell XPS or HP Envy series. Go for something which is tried and tested with good design.

Microshit has a history of failing with Surface offerings.

>CompSci major and finally looking into switching from Mac to PC after Apple shit the bed with that touch bar.

This has nothing to do with the Mac you're currently using, I doubt you need an upgrade and what the fuck does the Touch Bar have to do with anything? You can have it constantly set to display F keys if you wish.

>I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Surface family, and the Pro looks cool.

You haven't heard any such thing.

Would you guys recommend it?

I'd recommend you finding another job, shilling on Cantonese botanical remedy forums must be soul destroying.

honestly no matter where you go to develop you'll have a 90% chance of being thrown a mac unless you're working low end shit, back end development or .net development. AKA you're 99% on a unix system.

honestly no matter where you go to develop you'll have a 90% chance of being thrown a PC unless you're working low end shit, web dev shit or iOS fart app development. AKA you're 99% on a PC system.

Windows already has Linux.

Hows that high school degree working for you butch? Still hanging out with your jock buddies?