How does one switch from being in computer engineering/science to being a sysadmin?

How does one switch from being in computer engineering/science to being a sysadmin?

stop eating curry

>root
>not Broly

Go to a technical school; or learn practical things on your own while you learn about machine learning or whatever the fuck in school.

Get certificates, start on a helpdesk and then transition from second line/level 2 support to sys admin

>helpdesk
good lord have mercy

so networking, installing and maintaining linux/windows servers, fixing printers and such?

>contemplate same thing as op
>go to check jobs on indeed
>look at software engineer jobs -> "25 people have already applied to this job"
>look at system admin position -> "100 people have already applied to this job"

Hmm... not sure if it's worth given the competition.

>real world experience

Unfortunately colleges can't teach this because most professors were either never involved in the real world or involved with IT business and either way have no idea what it really is.

>being in computer engineering/science to being a sysadmin?
lol (you) don't. you just proved you're too stupid and too lazy to do so. that's why you're failing at CS

>am sysadmin
Don't, unless you like making less money. And by less money I mean $65-$100k rather than $100-$120k

Thankfully most people applying to sysadmin positions are unemployable spergs and indians

kill about 90% of your braincells

Don't, it's not worth it.
Sysadmins lock their jobs in from day one, and you only need one for every 1500-3000 employees in an organization.

They're even harder to get now that lots of companies are outsourcing their IT needs to other companies.

Broly is shit

>am sysadmin
I enjoy programming, as an admin I can write my own scripts and do what I want with them.
As a dev, you have to program in a team, check in/out your code, other people will fuck it up, etc.

>you have to program in a team, check in/out your code, other people will fuck it up
You've clearly never been in an actual development environment.

Employed at a software company, my NEET friend.

Not all development environments are equal...there are some pretty strict teams and some work like the wild west. It also depends on industry.

granted iv never heard of a team of people having to check in code and have no change governance around versions control that result in "fucking it up". That sounds fucking terrible and is doomed to never get anything done.

>am sysadmin
My shop rotates devs through different teams. Only the top ones get to own and stay on their projects. Otherwise it's "Hey guys Company X is paying us $YYY,YYY to implement a new feature, drop what you're doing and work on it" Then again it's a niche industry with little competition, so they run it however the fuck they want.

tfw you got your first job as a sysadmin without having any formal qualifications in IT.
tfw, 15 years on, you are still in the job and earning shitloads of money

drop out

If you're American and young enough, join the Air Force or Navy.

What are you plans for keeping yourself one step in front of pajeet? I've seen lots of good sysadmins pajeeted lately and its annoying because I hate dealing with bad sysadmins.

Not him but I just never stop learning. Pajeet can do simple tasks and follow scripts

But yes the days of the point and click windows admin are ending. Pajeet can do that. But Pajeet can't write chef or puppet configs and automate your deployments.

shit, even Microsoft wants admins to stop using the fucking GUI

I'm not failing CS/CE, that's both the funny and the sad thing
I already got my bachelor's in CE, now studying master's

I'm an intern at an IT sector of a company, developing apps
Ofcourse they're using technologies like .net and web cancer which I have avoided like the plague so far. Since I'm impatient I keep thinking I'm losing precious time writing pajeet code and not exploring more embedded programming and C/C++ which I want to learn and explore. There are barely any jobs for that around here, I only ever found 2. It''s really sad that everyone here has the mentality of becoming a corporate slave and if you show desire for something different they just look at you funny.
I also stress out too much about it. Noone expects anything major from me as an intern, but I still feel bad for taking long on individual projects. Constantly get headaches and can't properly work because of it.
Right now, with my current schedule, I literally have no time to study shit that I want and work on my own projects.
I guess I feel I'd just rather fix printers for work and rather enjoy programming in my free time

you don't want to be a sysadmin. it's not the work that gets you, it's the users. I would much rather be an end user