Who here /backto7/? This anniversary update just fucking sealed the deal for me

Who here /backto7/? This anniversary update just fucking sealed the deal for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

sdi-tool.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who here /usingWindowswhereitbelongs/?

Where do you think you'll go from here?

I see a lot of this "sticking to Windows 7/8" shit all over the internet.

As a linux user, tell me, what's your end goal? Where do you go from here? How do you expect a secure system if you continue to use a depreciated OS as the years roll on?

To me, this plan is no better than holding your job for ransom with a pistol to your boss's head. There's no long-term goal, here. It's a dead end, user.

>back

Never stopped using it lel

>downgrading to an os that won't be supported
>not just using 8+1 (with classic shell if you're picky) or using GNU/Linux

Why?

>what's your end goal?

lol play steam lol wat else m8

When the support ends I will think about it

Never stopped using it. It's what I dual boot on for all my vidya needs.

When it stops being supported I'll just use Linux exclusively probably.

install os x

when linux becomes popular enough to support most of the programs I use, I will stop using my Windows partition.

Classic Start Menu is what you need.

/Thread.

But if everyone waits for Linux to be come popular, it'll never become popular.

>unpin apps from the start menu
>slide menu all the way to the left
>use tiny icons on the taskbar
Wow that was hard.

go to /vg/ and stay there, cancer

ITT: I prefer my inferior and soon to be outdated OS because I hate change!

Or use NTSB version without any of the bullshit.

You do know 7 is supported until 2020 right?

They are all the same shit.

>Tried going back to 7 on a laptop that came with 8.
>Half my hardware is undetected.
>No problem, go to laptop manufacturer website to get drivers. They don't have them.
>No problem, will just Windows to automatically get drivers. Doesn't find any.
>No problem, I will just go to search for each driver one by one. Have to go through the hell that is browsing Russian and Chinese botnet sites to get drivers. None of them work.
Sadly, I am forced to stay on Windows 10.

Same here senpai

>back to an outdated OS
yeah, like, lets go back to symbian too

devid.drp.su

most drivers will be found.

LOL,LOL!

>actually navigating through the start menu

just press the windows key and type in what you want. who has time to navigate and scroll through menus?

I've upgraded from 8.1 to 10. I didn't much like the new Start menu so I'm still using Classic Shell. The anniversary update was fine. I was excited about the Bash on Ubuntu on Windows thing and installed it, though I find myself always using good old MSYS/MinGW instead since it can launch win32 processes as well as Linux ones.

I'm quite happy with the new feature where the mouse can scroll any window it's over instead of only the active window. And touchpad scrolling seems to work better than in 8.1.

But I'm getting sick of Win10 breaking itself and having issues that 8.1 never had. The updates are obnoxious too. I want patches to fix vulnerabilities, but I don't want them rammed down my throat, and sometimes I need to be able to not reboot for a while.

I'm also not a fan of the new theme. Borderless windows are still harder to grab edges of, even after realizing that there are borders but they're invisible. It just makes it awkward. The invisible borders also make annoying gaps when a window tries to be the height of the screen. It's not a deal breaker, it just looks a lot less polished than the 7 or 8.1 themes.

I'm probably going to be going back to 8.1 soon, though I may try a clean install of 10 first and see if I can tweak it enough to make it stable and usable.

>just press the windows key and type in what you want
Still takes longer for the results to come up than with 7 or Classic Start Menu, and it keeps pushing shitty results I don't want. Yes it learns over time, but then it sometimes forget. The top result should be consistent when the same set of programs and files are present.

>till takes longer for the results to come up than with 7 or Classic Start Menu
not for me
>and it keeps pushing shitty results I don't want. Yes it learns over time, but then it sometimes forget. The top result should be consistent when the same set of programs and files are present.
works on my machine |:^)

whats the difference between :^) and :o)

>works on my machine |:^)
Take the search "device" for instance. Typically I want to open Device Manager when I type that, but every fresh installation I've encountered lists the mostly useless Devices page of Settings first. Yes it learns over time, but then it sometimes forgets, and my muscle memory from 7 is start, type, enter; this requires start, type, look, down arrow, down arrow, enter.

:o) is facing you.

I'm using a KVM switch and a Raspberry Pi.

I'm running Windows 10 on my main machine without internet access. (I need Windows-specific programs).

If I need to surf the net or download something, I switch to my Pi, download the file to a shared HDD on my network and switch back to the Win 10 machine.

Fuck MS and their telemetry. You will never win over me Microsoft.

:^) is a small pointy nose
:o) is a large, round, boopable nose

Fucking hell, why bother with that? Why not just use 7 without the telemetry updates?

I've been using vanilla Win 7 SP1 without updates for nearly 5 years now and I've never had a single issue. I really wish the meme of having to use the latest OS with the latest patches would die. Use a none-admin account + current browser + common sense and nothing is going to happen.

Because Windows 7 is compromised as well now, and because I need the high DPI (4K) and multi monitor support of Win 10.

It's not ideal, but this is the new computing reality we're facing.

>Because Windows 7 is compromised as well now
Only if you install the damned updates that bring that in.

>Bundled with security updates
>Bundled with WU updates

>only reason for nsadows: gaymen
>downgrades to win7
>now restricted to directx 11
>win7 also part of the botnet now
>switched to a deprecated os for no reason

>for no reason
How about less bluescreens and not breaking itself periodically?

I have Windows 10 and no problems.
Is Sup Forums autistic?

>people are actually fine with being forced to install buggy updates made by pajeet
i'd rather use an "outdated" os like 7 or 8, at least they work consistently.

I have Windows 10 and I do have problems. Consider yourself lucky.

I don't see how, the Anniversary update mostly improved things.

>less bluescreens and not breaking itself periodically

That's why I switched to 8.1 to begin with, and now 10. Never had to check my hard drive and any shit like that since them, now if you look at Windows 7 the wrong way, it fucking breaks.

>or 8

But that's pretty much 10 without DirectX 12 and it's still very much supported.

I had 8.1. It was in many ways an improvement over 7 if you could overlook the idiotic fullscreen start menu. It was stable and just worked.

Then I upgraded to 10. The start menu is better but still not as good as 7's. But it crashes more and things mysteriously stop working more than 8.1 ever did.

Check the used chipsets retard and go to the vendor. Intel/AMD/Broadcom/realtek etc etc etc

you should be using Linux anyway fag

Sorry to hear that user, maybe it's time to put 8.1 back in there. I use Classic Shell for the menu so that's a non-issue for me.

sdi-tool.org/

>install linux
>just works
>just fucking works

Wincucks...

Stupid Question: I have a friend that says Windows 7 is just as full as botnet as Windows 10 and that I should just go ahead and update, even though he's been having problems with Win10. I've removed all the bullshit updates that MS has tried to push onto Win7 as well and don't let anything update unless I see what it is.

Is he right or is he full of shit? I hate how Win10 looks, feels, and acts and I want to stay with Win7 as long as I can, if possible.

>Is he right or is he full of shit? I hate how Win10 looks, feels, and acts and I want to stay with Win7 as long as I can, if possible.

He's full of shit. If you do not have any of the dubious updates installed, your install is fine. This misunderstanding comes about partly because the dodgy bullshit was started in Windows 8 by default (which is why either China or Russia was looking to ban using Win8), and Microsoft releasing the Windows 10 + telemetry patches over the previous year.

It's odd how they end up making it more complicated when trying to make it simpler.

I don't care what anyone says, Vista/7 were the best windows versions.

If you weren't retarded you would have never switched to begin with. And why are you only just now getting the anniversary update? I smell a shitpost bait.

Kept BSODing on 10. First I thought it was the memory, and then I moved on to the SSD.

Went back to 7 and it's just not happening anymore. i7 2600k and ASUS p8p67 pro mobo.

It already supports them, you're just too fag to notice.

Use Ubuntu you complete autist

I'm actually starting to get used to 10.

It's a huge pain in the cunt to disable all the stupid shit, and getting it working the way you want. But when I think about it, that's not much different than Linux in a lot of ways, Windows just tries to block you every step of the of the way, rather than letting you do what you want freely.

Enjoy being datamined

1607 master race reporting in.

>install linux
>freetards lied it doesnt fucking work
>you need to go through hoops for it to work
>no drivers work
>nearly all your programs and games aren't on there

Leave. Now.

:^)

>no update since october last year
feels good tbqh famalamfam

I went from Windows 10 to 7, then straight to Linux when I got wind that MS was changing the way it was going to do updates. This was in less than a year, mind you.

Stop fooling around with Windows unless you absolutely cannot live without it.

>I've been using vanilla Win 7 SP1 without updates
Same here.

Some kind of hardware incompatibility?

Windows 8.1 is objectively better than 7

>not having the classic windows theme

Just when India is going to become a, """superpower"""", what a coincidence

I simply can't be bothered to change my 8.1 setup. 10 offers no advantages and is way more bloated.

a nuu

enoy your botnet

>new feature where the mouse can scroll any window it's over instead of only the active window

jesus fucking christ, that function is as old as dirt

I call fucking bullshit, finding drivers for Windows 7 nowadays are a pain in the ass because Windows Update doesn't fucking work on it and my girlfriend's computer blue screens regularly because she refuses to upgrade to 10.

Not you.

not to mention that function is also available on windows 7 with free software

manufacturer's website, asus for example lists drivers for download

get Snappy driver installer

just download all the drivers ~13gb and let it find all the drivers for your system works 99% of the time

>just put win 7 on hp shipped with 10

Snappy Driver installer

This isn't a fucking coincidence, they know people want to switch to 7
Also:
If you're not gaming (which i doubt since you mentioned a laptop) then maybe try Linux, if you get the hang of it, you will never want to program on windows again, I know I don't.
>Games
We're talking about a laptop
>It doesn't fucking work
What are you? Incompetent?
Gross. At least you disabled most of the bloat.
Quite honestly that theme is underrated.

7 is also botnet if you've downloaded any updates recently

How is 8.1 a botnet you retard.

>if you've downloaded any updates recently
which is why I and anyone else not too stupid for life hasn't. I saw this coming months ago and haven't updated since early summer. I need to get around to removing the bits of botnet that came with the W10 prep files however.

you're the retard here

so you're just butthurt that you have a shitty laptop and are too dumb to realize that WU is compromised now

>gf
normie retard

It's been around as far back as windows 98

Look it up.

>mfw server 2008 as workstation

no issues with win 10 or win 7
if only lenovo power manager worked in windows 10

>back to 7
kek, back to Sup Forums would be more like it

Classic theme is not as good as real theme from win98/win2k

>Sup Forums doesn't care about gaymes
unfunny and stupid poster