Xorg to be officially depreciated 11/08/16

Xorg to be officially depreciated 11/08/16.

Linux will finally become a real desktop OS.

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wayland-Mir-News-2015
wayland.freedesktop.org/architecture.html
youtube.com/watch?v=cQoQE_HDG8g
code.visualstudio.com/Download_b?utm_expid=101350005-34.AJ9vUvoaRSGnAeC8Wd6bSw.1&utm
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-25-Hybrid-Graphics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And nothing of value was lost, nor gained.

The world continues to run on Windows.

But August is already two months over.

August was two months ago

?

Only if you like beta testing.

>implying Mir won't reign supreme
Typical Fedorafag

Wayland is better.

>makes assertion
>provides no sources
Typical Fedorafag

Thanks Based FEDORA

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wayland-Mir-News-2015

wayland has more devs supporting it.

Canonical vs Red Hat cuckfight.

Fedora is ditching Xorg next version?

Sorry I should've specified: phoronix doesn't count because it's written by twelve year olds. I thought that was known around here?

They may. Xorg is only included in 25 as an option for those that really need it.

Wow it only took them 10 years. Good job Xorg developers.

I hate how Canonical decided to create a another pointless display server instead of using Wayland. This does nothing but cause more fragmentation with desktop Linux and makes it harder to use unity with other distros. Unity is one of the main reasons I still use Ubuntu.

Yeah of the Linux desktop is around the corner. I honestly believe that Xorg is what was holding Linux back all these years. All the shitty wierd shit that happens on X doesn't happen on Wayland.

Canonical gonna Canonical

Wtf is Sakura?

Cherry blossoms

will Wayland allow me to remap keys without getting a master's in xkb layout creation?

No I know that because I'm at least 13% weeb, don't be such a penis inhaler.

It's yet another terminal emulator, isn't it?

I honestly don't understand how other window server is gonna change a shit.
Such low level components of the system are not ones usual users care for.
Year of Linux desktop comes never if guys will still write another standards to unify them all. That leads only to "one more competing standard" situation.

Lemme know when MATE supports wayland. Once that happens I'll jump ship.

T. Fehdora user.

yes

Xorg has a very profound effect on the UX.

What's the point of using it over the default? What's the point of using any terminal emulator over the default?

I DON'T UNDERSTAND REEEEEEEEEE

How?

most default terminal emulators suck
unless you're using xfce

Fucking kek, user! 10/10!

I have my reasons

Which distro is the Solar system now?

In what ways do they suck? Genuinely interested here.

I hate debian now

What's xorg?

What's so good about it being deprecated?

What does this have to do with muh fedora?

Fedora 25 comes out the 15th.

Either they have little configuration/ricing features, or you have to learn some dotfiles and their cryptic syntactic bullshit.

Which makes them actually good for a default choice, they're supposed to take your commands and that's it. But if you want some more control over them you are better off using another terminal made specific for that.

Well, personally I've been experiencing smooth buttery animations, a noticiable lack of video artifacts and when I open up my laptop, I get right to the login screen instead of painfully watching Xorg have a conniption first.

What are the distros in panel 4 and 5?

Will Wayland support all my shitty X programs like xsnow, xclock and others? And what's so bad about X? I've been using it for years and it never broke.

antergos (basically a GUI installer for Arch)
KDE neon (a distro with the sole purpose of having the latest KDE shit)

>And what's so bad about X? I've been using it for years and it never broke.

wayland.freedesktop.org/architecture.html

>The world continues to run on Windows.
most servers run on linux retard

and every phone

Only if it's gonna support lxqt

Antergos is better than Manjaro in your opinion?

in my opinion the difference is absolutely negligible. Sup Forums has it out for Manjaro because they fucked up their website security certificate but it's really the same shit with a couple different repositories

KDE Neon, AKA Kubuntu done right.

>Install arch
>pacman -S plasma kde-applications
Kubuntu done right

youtube.com/watch?v=cQoQE_HDG8g

>depreciated

meh not really manjaro isn't what I would call an arch distro they hold back packages for a little while before pushing them out and I think Antergos is just a GUI installer but they do some weird things like not use GDM with Gnome which is required for some things to work properly

Most servers run on Windows Server.
a lot of phones run a real unix - iOS

I rarely ever run into problems with X. What do you all find to complain about?

>but they do some weird things like not use GDM with Gnome which is required for some things to work properly

This shit is retarded, lightdm is nice and all but you won't be using Wayland by default with lightdm and like you said, Gnome needs GDM for some things. I hope the devs get their heads out of their asses and leave lightdm for the the lightweight DE's. I think they use lightdm just because of cross-compatiblity.

auitsm

>desktop OS
what is this meme

what's the best nomos fake? can i get a link if they arent all the same?

Enterprise is more of a fifty-fifty. Large corporations use Windows Server. Your Raspberry Pi with public IP doesn't matter in the large scale.

>hurr durr Xorg
>hurr durr Wayland
>m-muh servers
Fucking retard.

wtf? i love fedora now

>Wayland support for awesomewm
>Closed: wontfix

> Microsoft Azure runs on linux

MY SIDES WILL NEVER BE RECOVERED

as long as the computer cannot be operated in daily use without a terminal there will never be a "year of desktop linux"

you also need a browser that can compete with edge and safari for the facebook machines

>not using sway (i3)

>you also need a browser that can compete with edge and safari for the facebook machines
Safari maybe, no one uses Edge, even idiots who can't into computer use Chrome because they all use Google services and Google advertises it like mad all over their sites.

>as long as the computer cannot be operated in daily use without a terminal there will never be a "year of desktop linux"
You don't /need/ to do it ever in Ubuntu or Fedora, there are auto updates and a nice GUI for that as well as an app catalogue and gui installation of snap/deb or RPM packages(depending on the distro)
>THIS is the real problem, no universal packages...

AMD GPU drivers are better than ever since the FOSS drivers are on-par with the proprietary ones and the KMS driver is foss for both - so everything 'just werks' unlike the nightmare of FGLRX and shitty dkms modules in the past.

nVidia drivers are fine for facebook and app gamers since Noveau works well like the FOSS AMD drivers, but the performance is severely lacking for vidya so gamers will need to install nVidia proprietary drivers which are a minor pain for kernel updates, but it's all automated in Ubuntu and Fedora anyway...

regardless of your retarded hateboner for microsoft, edge is a popular browser in the real world, for a good reason, it's lightyears ahead of the competition

its market share is mainly limited by the adoption of windows 10

Shit, came here to say this
Typical Canonical shill

why ranma

Terminal

Shut up fedora nigger lover

I like Ubuntu and canonical but Mir is dead in the water and everyone knows it. We're just waiting for the official climbdown from astronaut dude

... How so? In it's own right I can say FF is lightyears ahead because it has container tabs.

>Browser
>Terminal
>Steam
>Text editor

How iconic, basically what Linux is good for, a simple front end on a terminal to surf the web.

Saved. lol

ik this is bait but i only have browser and explorer shortcuts on my windows taskbar

winkey + {program name} is the patrician way of starting programs

Without Office, Adobe, CAD, Visual Studio and ERP, your OS has no productive use in our society.

Can you bait a little harder? Visual Studio, lol.

>implying your normie ass does anything superior on microshaft wangblows

Wayland is more secure, but I fail to see how it's going to determine whether or not the entire human race sees GNU/Linux as a desktop OS. I've been waiting for its arrival, though, it's about time.

>Visual Studio
AHAHAH You stupid nigger you don't even have XCode!

How many games will it break? Including those under wine, as there are just two Linux native games and one of them is Angband withh no graphics

there are lots of linux native games kiddo

but that is my fear, even cinnamon can't run wine explorer with full screen game captured in the desktop emulation... without glitches on x.... I have to use kde or xfce. I can't imagine using wayland will have no issues

>'member Upstart?

this is literally all that Canonical does.

code.visualstudio.com/Download_b?utm_expid=101350005-34.AJ9vUvoaRSGnAeC8Wd6bSw.1&utm

Linux actually does have Visual Studio though.

I haven't run into any problems but I am using Intel graphics.

>Noveau works well
Yeah, except I get a black screen if I don't use nomodeset.

Take your pills first.

>implying anyone wants Wayland, which only works on GNU/Linux and no other Unices since the developers are retarded

Wayland sounds good in theory, however

>Can I VNC to Wayland? How?
>Can I screen record in Wayland? How?
>What is the Wayland equivalent for xwininfo, xprop, etc?
>How good is Wayland support for trackpads (eg synclient equivalent)?
>Is Wayland compatible with all graphic cards (2D/3D/Video acceleration, HDMI out, etc)?

this is linux forever

> depreciated
Deprecated, you fucking mong.

Is there waylandcalc? waylandclock? waylandedit? wayland athena widgets?
If not, no fucking thanks. I'd like to have more than nothing.

>Most servers run on Windows Server.
Kek, keep believing that

>input processing in the compositor
Woah this its not like this is a disaster waiting to happen or anything

i am counting down the seconds, my friend

Has anyone tried Wayland with the recent Nvidia proprietary drivers? I heard it should support KMS now.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-25-Hybrid-Graphics
>they are working on patches so Fedora Workstation 25 with GNOME Wayland can run on the NVIDIA proprietary driver's EGLStreams implementation over GBM.
>which means that starting from Fedora Workstation 25 you will be able to use Wayland also with NVidias binary driver.

I've been testing Wayland through Fedora ever since F23 on my shitty netbook and most linux native indie games surprisingly run without any kind of problems. Even the X-compatibility mode feels more robust than native X itself at times.