High perf SSD

Hello /g
what do you think about high speed SSD like 950 pro of samsung ?

Other urls found in this thread:

kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/dax.txt
ramcity.com.au/upgrade/data-storage/internal-solid-state-drives/samsung-sm961/143419
blender.org/
materiel.net/cartes-meres/asus-z97-ar-110657.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have one. they are amazing. Currys/pc world fucked up and advertised these for £179 instead of the usual £300+ so I bought one.

thanks for your feedback
you got the 512G version or 256 ?
do you think i can get one during black friday ?

512. and yes you should be able to. Seriously this is the best thing pc wise I have bought in my opinion. Its stupid how fast this thing can work.

Memetech

>NVMe 1.1
>doesn't support DAX
I'll wait for the next iteration, thank you.

>cant afford the good things so pulls out the "meme" bollocks.
Theyve been proven to be what they are. Also some make use of unused ram.

>Theyve been proven to be what they are
Nice tautology

Nothing can utilise the extra speed over normal ssd though

You won't notice -- that is perceive -- any difference over regular SSDs.

depends what you're doing, for the average gamer or desktop user you're correct though.

Do you have to take a lot of meds for autism?

Actually it can. Under loads especially in design work they do give a noticable difference.

what is DAX?

Direct Access

kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/dax.txt

Essentially, you can map block devices to memory pages and bypass the page cache and other unnecessary buffering.

And so what line of work do you use that in personally?
Because if its for browsing here then thats a bit silly isnt it

I went big and got my first SSD - the PM961, which is just as fast as the 950 Pro. Naturally I love it and the difference in boot times between my normal HDD is unfuckingbelievable. Common sence of me should have bought a 2.5" SSD but fuck it.
If you already got a SSD, OP, and want to upgrade to a m.2 SSD, you probbaly wont notice the difference based on what I've read.

Heres my PM961 benchmark:
Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3356.298 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1427.215 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 615.990 MB/s [150388.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 521.668 MB/s [127360.4 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 1629.180 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 1384.780 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 43.190 MB/s [ 10544.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 189.182 MB/s [ 46187.0 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 8.3% (19.8/238.0 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]

"Direct Access" block device, i.e., being able to bypass the block cache in the kernel.

Protip: you don't need this on your m.2 toaster accelerator.

>And so what line of work do you use that in personally?
I'm currently doing experiments with NVMe SSDs trying to use the onboard DMA engine to push data directly into a remote GPU across a PCIe NTB.

>Protip: you don't need this on your m.2 toaster accelerator.
See above,

I have a Samsung 850 EVO and my pc boots in like 4 seconds.

thank for link
3356MB/s in read wo O_O

maybe i should get a 961 instead of 950 ?

so the next lot will have it in?

>IoT
No, but if I'm successful and noticed, it might become part of the NVMe standard (or some extension to it) and favour PCIe interconnects and gradually kill InfiniBand.

350$ for the 512Go version SSD 961
ramcity.com.au/upgrade/data-storage/internal-solid-state-drives/samsung-sm961/143419

You can wait for the 960 Pro

Then thats a no as you are doing it as a hobby and you really think a single shit will be given if you actually stumble over any huge find.
Now if it were so important that they should be on them then surely by now at least one company would have done it.

>Jew: SSDs are getting cheap, what do we do?
>Jew: I know, let's market some "high performance" SSDs!

>Then thats a no as you are doing it as a hobby
Well, if you consider my PhD a "hobby", I guess....

>and you really think a single shit will be given if you actually stumble over any huge find.
I'm already in dialogue with Intel and Dell, they're both pretty interested in my work so far.

>Now if it were so important that they should be on them then surely by now at least one company would have done it.
Someone has to be first. May as well be the company I collaborate with that makes PCIe-based interconnects.

mhm okey ^^
but if i can get a 950 512G in black friday ?

For most it's so overkill that they don't know what they have until they go back to HDD, because things just work, instantly.

Sadly I don't have any NVMI based SSD in my PC but I can understand how fast it is, and to the other guys asking, yes the 512GB is that much faster than the 256GB.

>mfw i have h87 mobo

FUARK i can't upgrade cpu+mobo just for this little fucker...

Depends what you're doing, if you think you can take advantage of the increased speeds of the 960 Pro, i'd wait. But you'll be spending a decent bit more $. However it's decently faster, so it's your choice.

Just as a heads up by the way, M.2 SSDs generally increase boot times by 10-30 seconds or longer depending on your motherboard because booting from a PCIe device requires a longer POST process.
So if you're thinking the M.2 drive will give you SUPER fast boot times, you are mistaken.

personnaly i work on Blender blender.org/
it's a very great and powerfull free sofware to make 3D picture, and rendering then.
in hudge scene , the .blend file can be over 500Mb and sometime 900Mb.
do you think a SSD like 950 pro can help me to work quicker on blender ?

Yes, but honestly unless you're working on 20-30GB+ projects you're probably better off using a RAMDisk.

Get 32GB of RAM and dedicate half to blender.

My DDR4 3200MHz hits around 54,000MB/s read speed and around 47,000MB/s write speed.

Much MUCH faster than any SSD.

>gradually kill InfiniBand

nice ambition, but the bigger challenge to your ambition is that Avago bought PLX, and switched PCIe host interconnect meshes will never be a thing except though proprietary solutions they offer.

It's a very viable solution for 2011-3 based rigs, but not so much for regular motherboards.

Why not? 8GB DIMMS are cheap. You wont get 50,000MB/s+ like I do, but you'll still get easily 5x what the fastest PCIe SSD would give you.

ah , not bad idea !

960 Evo is coming out soon and it's faster and cheaper than 950 Pro

okey wait and see

oh god i've check my mother board
materiel.net/cartes-meres/asus-z97-ar-110657.html
and M2 is limited to 1Go/s
O_O

shit ...

The asus site implies otherwise

>10Gb/s M.2

I have one and it's awesome, but I feel like faster drives are coming soon so maybe wait unless you currently have shit drives.

Still slower than a 950 Pro can do.

>M2 is limited to 1Go/s

Gb/s M.2

those are consistent. previous user is presumably a yuropoor, where Go = giga-octet = giga-byte.
10 Gb/s physical rates for most serial interfaces including PCIe/NVMe boils down to 8 Gb/s = 1 GB/s after removing 8b10b coding overhead.

In short, that board appears to be using a single PCIe 3.0 lane (or 2 PCIe 2.0 lanes, but less likely) for the m.2 slot.

>2 PCIe 2.0 lanes, but less likely
Actually that's the most likely, the CPU provides PCIe 3.0 lanes, but the chipset provides PCIe 2.0 lanes, more than likely it is using chipset lanes, not CPU lanes.

Are M.2 drives really noticeably faster than SATA drives for standard consumer use?

>switched PCIe host interconnect meshes will never be a thing except though proprietary solutions they offer.
Maybe. My work is good for the company I collaborate with anyway though.

well i am dumb

my bad then.

I'm curious who actually thinks they need >1GB/s SSD throughput on a workstation though.

NVMe drives can't come close to saturating their buses unless they have either a massive number of threads queuing requests or are doing linear transfers of very big files, and without onboard 40+GbE or similar, I find the latter unlikely as well.

Most single-threaded software will spend most of its time waiting for a drive to respond and processing the data it receives without trying to asynchronously issue and handle a bunch of independent requests.

Yes, you'll be the first to load into the call of duty map every time.

If you know of someone else trying to break into the PCIe switch ASIC space I'd love to know too.

Where is my 960 Pro

Well, no. Not ATM. There's was IDT, but they've stopped making switches AFAIK.

Anyway, the company I work for use PLX switches in their adapter cards and cluster switches, they used to use IDT (but they've stopped manufacturing them).

Theyre holding it back as the user on here from earlier has made groundbreaking advances in DAX. Well in his head that is.

It seems I'm mistaken, IDT seems to be well and alive.

>dat jelly

That looks amazing and I have no practical use for that kind of speed. Has anyone tried using one of these for ssd caching?

Of what? someone on Sup Forums bullshitting?
Is this place just getting more metally retarded by the day or are you kiddies off school again

Get a pcie m.2 adapter card. It's precisely what I'm considering doing.

They are pretty good.

>bullshitting
Please

>not buying glorious PCIE SSD

M2 is the same shit as PCI

M.2 is just a reference to the form factor, it's still PCIe (and therefore supports NVMe).

>glorious PCIE SSD you can't boot from
Top kek.

> making same degree of pedantic error when being a pedant

m.2 is just a physical form factor, which can be PCIe/NVMe, SATA, or whatever else depending on how the connector is keyed.

But yeah, the PCIe Add In Board isn't the only thing that used PCIe signaling.

Then enlighten us with proof. Whereas reality will as usual reign and you will go back to other theads on Sup Forums as this is all you do day and night.

>Then enlighten us with proof.
In what form?

pic related

Not only is relating next generations technology to Japanese cartoon drawing styles dating back several decades backwards thinking, it's just absolutely embarrassing

the skins come included from the original developer, don't hate shizuku.

Companies steal or buy at jewish prices you goy.

Windows was first purchased from some unknowing neckbeard and sold to IBM.

Variable speeds on the windshield wiper was stolen from some high school teacher.

A slew of invention patents were side stepped because they weren't broad enough in their materials section.

My friend keeps wanting me to get one for my build that I primarily do gay men and Photoshop on. Am I right to assume that there's no point in getting one?

>Him: Bro it's so much faster!
>Me: At what? My PC boots up in like 6 seconds and I can go from off to the middle of a game in about 20
>Him: Bro it just is. It's just so much faster.

Not unless you're working on huge files in PS that have to be loaded often.

Or other similar scenario.

You wont notice any difference compared to a normal SSD for gaming or normal desktop use. Anyone claiming otherwise is simply experiencing the placebo effect.

I had the Kingston m.2 and that thing ran hot. I am not ever getting on ever again and staying with regular ssd.

I have an older motherboard, Z77 I think - if I get these SSD's I can't boot from them, right?

Love when you go down the "jew" road. You Americans are obsessed. Problem is the majority of stuff you own/buy is "jew" without you even realising.
Fucking hilarious

Nice screenshot with motion blur

Should i do it Sup Forums?

son, shut the fuck up, you are making things worst.

I know broadband speeds are a trickle down on Shitpost Island, but I think you'd still regret not going with the 512 GB model, or better yet waiting a few weeks from the 960 Pros.

I don't live on dinosaur island. They ship internationally.

Aside from OS, what software benefit from SSD? Would Visual studio and VMware workstation see any difference?

Any application that are bottlenecked from slow disk reads/writes will benefit from an SSD. VMware workstation will most likely benefit, yes.

Everything is faster, mechanical drives fucking suck.

I like how the fuckheads arguing invalid points like "lel don do it le big company will do eeet first" actually shut the fuck up.

Do you think your research will actually benefit regular end users like most here or is it more research/industry oriented for professionals using GPUs for some havey lifting calculations?

But 32GB isn't really enough, that's why the 2011 is a better platform to do that on.

>Photoshop
If you are loading huge ass RAW files working on a lot of layers or using Lightroom to load 50 files at the same time, you will see improvements, if not you won't notice the difference.
Loading huge chunks of data and writing/reading multiple small files is where you can see how fast this things are.

Alright maybe I'll get one of these placebo drives later on. If the 960pro goes on sale or something eventually.

>itt blanket statements on practical performance improvements
as expected of Sup Forums

500gb or nothing at all. 250 is hilarious small nowadays

>what software benefit from SSD? Would Visual studio

Large C++ projects (re)compile much faster from SSDs, since the awful compilation model forces a bunch of unpredictable reading and parsing.

For consumer SSDs, the biggest area of general benefit is with lots of small random reads, like this, navigating directory trees in a graphical shell, or starting programs that use a bunch of dynamic libraries.

If you need more than that, you're back into the price range of a 256GB M.2 drive again.

I'm saying if you are only working on under ~16GB files, which the original post I replied to was specifically mentioning less than 1GB file sizes.

If you need to work on larger than 16GB files, it's probably going to be easier to go with an SSD.

Unless you NEED the speed offered from the RAM AND you NEED over 100GB of storage, X99 isn't needed.

Z170 supports up to 64GB with 16GB DIMMs. X99 supports up to 128GB with 16GB DIMMs.

So sure there are a few instances where it would make sense, but for the most part if you need more than 32GB of space, you should be looking into SSDs as it will generally be cheaper if you don't need the extreme performance offered by RAM.

Would you consider this effect, dare I say it, snappy?

NVMe SSDs are measurably faster faggot

How exactly do ram disks work? It sets aside ram and makes it a disk, right but I assume it wipes it's self when the computer shuts off. Is there a way to automatically load the data back into it on boot? Say whenever I turn on my computer I want my favorite game completely stored on the ram disk, is that possible?

As a gaymer who only plays one game I'd pick up two more modules to facilitate this

The performance differences are measurable in synthetic tests, but any >90% of subject improvement in feel over SATA SSDs is due to audiophile-tier placebo effect.

Nobody repeatedly pulls multi-GB files into memory or moves big files between 2 SSDs all day long, and no consumers have 10+Gb networks that would get bottlenecked by SATA transfer speeds.

Yeah most RAMdisk programs just create a backup and store the backup on your HDD or SSD and load it back into RAM when you load up windows.