Why do most people buy intel if amd cpus are usually half the price at the same performance?

Why do most people buy intel if amd cpus are usually half the price at the same performance?

Why should I keep using intel over amd?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8zTzpYjQ2MM
wccftech.com/new-amd-zen-blender-benchmarks/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=j2AVrTWNk3E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>AMD
>same performance

go away pajeet

For the same reason they buy iPhones instead of Android. It's a brand that middle class people think only rich people can afford, therefore they must be rich if they were able to buy one.

I have wondered this also, who doesn't want house fires? youtube.com/watch?v=8zTzpYjQ2MM

Because people who buy Intel chips usually have proper heating in their house and do not want their AMD chip to aid in said heating. Also, people who buy Intel usually like to not have a huge power bill.

OP here, is that normal? Also do AMD cpus auto shutdown when overheating like intel cpus?

because it rhymes with gay md and is less expensive, nobody wants to run gay hardware for niggers

Nope.

AMD CPUs are basically just knockoff Intels, minus the safety features and quality.

So you know how every generation of Intel chips need a new mobo because the socket is different? And then AMD doesn't do that? Well if you don't upgrade your motherboard that will happen. Early releases did not offer a warning either (really 9590's catching fire was a common thing)

>house fires

high power consumption

no overheat auto-shutdown

OP here thanks for clearning this up, I'll stick to Intel.

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES

>AMD CPUs are basically just knockoff Intels, minus the safety features and quality.

That's what Zen will be. Current AMD CPUs are just poorly engineered outdated trash. With Zen AMD can hope to catch up to where Intel was 5 years ago.

>Why do most people buy intel if amd cpus are usually half the price at the same performance?

shitty b8. you can buy a second hand 2500k or 2600k and get better performance out of the box than AMD's highest end offering currently.

This is why you make different sockets.

Yeah, at 220W vs the Intel part at 95W. Enjoy your power bill.

OP here again, would these be good for processing/render farms? They seem cheaper than assembling cpu+mobo+psu+case+ram myself.

because waiting for zen.

yes. they knockoff pentium 4.
why it's so shit.

I thought this was an atmel chip at first....

Xeon 2670 - 90
Seriously, get a used xeon 26xx series for rendering

how old are you ?
the athlon xp series beat the shit out of intels p4s

>using a 9590 on anything other than a 990fx board
what do you expect, it's a 220w tdp cpu.

What about the amd 95 watt processors? Mainly the 8300, 8310. Are they any good for a cheap build?

No. There was a time when Intel contracted AMD to make the same exact CPU because intel couldn't manufacture enough for IBM

xeon cpus usually require 300€+ motherboards

depends what you're using them for, if just gaming please just get a skylake i3. if you're going to be doing stuff that requires lots of threads and would benefit from it then get amd for a poorfag build.

they could still catch fire and don't have auto-shutdown for overheating.

11187 > 8940 you retard.

Better get saving then.

150€ for 8940
360€ for 11187

IBM required every component to have two sources so to get the contract intel had to license their 8086 designs to another company

amd also picked up other x86 manufacturers along the way (like nextgen)

Some 970 boards can handle the 9590 just fine.
Like the gigabyte 970A ud3p.

Now check out single threaded

>at the same performance
Because that isn't true you fucking retard.

They shut down somewhere around 90C.
Stop spreading bullshit.

Pretty good and can easily hit 4.2Ghz with a small air cooler and almost any board.

AMD CPUs are shit. pic related mine

I'm using it mostly for rendering so I won't be using it single threaded.

When was the last time you renewed your thermal paste?

Then quit being a faggot and get a xeon

>dual cpu xeon2670 is cheaper/better than 3x2600k
thanks, I guess I'll stick to xeon

You cant have 3 2600k's

3 nodes with 2600k cpus

What a meme. I remember thinking the same thing before buying parts for my first pc. I checked some benchmarks for a handfull of cpus that were options and amd cpus were just not competitive.

3x psu 3x ram etc etc etc

>Why do most people buy intel if amd cpus are usually half the price at the same performance?

This statement is false. Your thread is invalid.

each 2600k node is 300€
dual xeon 2670 node is 900€

>at the same performance?
Because they aren't

Because most people use computers to play vydia. These games are usually very poorly optimized and use 2 CPU threads at most. Intel has higher single thread performance compared to AMD thus you get better framerates in most vydia.

AMD is however amazing for everything else. They give you amazing multi-core performance and bang for your buck.

Modern processors like the Athlon X4 845 from AMD aren't that bad desu. It's only ~20% slower in single core and ~30% slower in multi-core. You can't really complain since it costs just 30% as much as the skylake i5.

Anyway Zen is set to fix all this with a 40% increase in IPC, putting it above skylake i5 IPC. Not sure how much though. I'm probably going with AMD this time since it will be a worthwhile upgrade from my i5-2500K.

>important
You can't really trust the benchmark in pic related because both are not tested at the same frequency and turbo up and down in frequencies during testing but they give a general idea of what performance they have.

>same performance
No.
Even as an AMD fan waiting for Zen, their current lineup is absolutely abysmal.
The only thing they are currently competitive in is price/performance for multithreaded integer workloads.
For anything else they are garbage.
Zen definitely looks promising with the little information we have at the moment though.

Wonderful idea, using consumer products for a professional job. Or you could be getting $3000 worth of silicon for $200 or so.

see

Speccy is incompatible with the way AMD reports their temperatures. Use AMD overdrive.
They report the available thermal reserve to the chip's maximum operating temperature and many monitoring programs interprete those readings wrong.

Which is basically what I said.

>Because most people use computers to play vydia.
[citation needed]

stupid faggot

>professional job
mostly educational for now.

this

You call a processor that costs 1/3rd the price of a skylake i5 with only ~30% lower overall performance "abysmal"?

You're happy to pay 3X as much just to get ~30% better overall performance?

What does this have to do with the i5-6600 and X4 845?

>Has a significant effect on a power bill
Hello retard.

*more than 3X the price

As someone who went from an FX8150 to an i7 6800k, I can assure you that you are -
A. Trolling
B. Misinformed
C. BEAKFEST
D. All of the above.

This. Unless you run prime95 24/7 for an entire year with 0 breaks then going with intel won't significantly reduce your electric bill.

After buying a 6600k I regret it. Not that it's bad, but my intrests now have moved on to bigger and better. 4-6 cores are just not enough for all I want to do. The options with a server setup and ECC are endless. Consumer chips are boring and limited. There is not substitute for MORE CORES. But whatever just buy 3x 2600k that have been overclocked to hell for years.

Why didn't you just wait for the 8-core Zen chip you fucking retard?

7680 for multi core is abysmal. For what $20 more, you could get 10k?

>implying I'll stick to 3 nodes
>implying I'm not going for xeon

JUST WAIT
yeah, fuck off
we have no idea the performance or price AMD will charge. Or even if you will be able to get one at msrp for months from all the demand from amdfags hyping this to hell and back.

>7680 for multi core is abysmal.
>For what $20 more, you could get 10k?
This has nothing to do with the X4 845. Can you please put on a trip so I can filter you?

wccftech.com/new-amd-zen-blender-benchmarks/

Nice job taking the intel cock up your ass, retard.

Instead of calling me a retard why not get an answer first? Oh because Sup Forums.

My PC was 5 years old. Mobo was dying and it couldn't hold clocks stable anymore. It could not even use it's own turbo core.

Very happy with the decision to not wait for AMD to delay ZEN another 4 years.

This guy gets it.

German fag detected +1

good goy

pic related
nothing about that is confirmed, and if history is any guide, anything from currytech is to be considered FUD. Anyway how do you know the pricing scheme, or avalibility yet? You don't.

why do retarded intelfags claim AMD is housefire?
everyone knows nvidya started that maymay with fermi, why do intelfags claim otherwise though?

intel says max temp is 72C
AMD max is 62C
it's not like your cooler is magically going to dissipate more heat by switching CPUs, so yeah AMD is clearly colder,and the new varients beat the competition in not only performance by power consumption. not even factoring in the price

tl;dr intel are shady fucks who force you to pay if you want to overclock...

>Doesn't specify clock frequencies used
How much is intel paying you?

Why would it be anything but stock clocks?

Just wait for Fury
Just wait for Zen
Just wait for Vega
Just wait for Bulldozer
Just wait for your x2 854 to render
Just wait
AMDfags are a patient bunch, I'll give you that.

Man, you must be rolling deep in intel Benjamins to immediately start pretending to be retarded immediately after.

not an argument

you do understand what tdp is, right?
You do understand $20 is chump change, right?
You do understand you can rma your k processor if you blow it, right?

bcus the competition doesn't charge extra if someone decides to overclock something they bought. seriously how has intel not been sued over this shit?
>we're going to lock something you buy from being able to run at its full potential
>then we're going to charge you a fucktonne more if you want us to not put the effort into locking it
it's like buying a car but dodge doesn't let you change to all season tires unless you pay them for a model which allows you to change your tires..
you bought it, you own it, you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want with it now that it's your property.

Fury was decent
Zen looks to be doing well too.
Vega is pretty much unknown at the moment, but is said to be a big Polaris with a reworked rendering backend, which is what bottlenecks current Polaris GPUs
Bulldozer was bad, yes.

How likely are those benchmarks at anything but stock clocks?
Pretty damn unlikely unless you're AMD's marketing team.
Also, the i3, which is a dual core by the way, can't be overclocked, so just compare it to that.

It gets better.
They also remove VT-d and TSX(WHICH IS STILL COMPLETELY BROKEN IN SKYLAKE, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS INTRODUCED IN FUCKING HASWELL AND HAD TO BE DISABLED VIA MICROCODE UPDATES ON EVERY CPU SINCE ITS INTRODUCTION. BROKEN. ON. EVERY. CPU. FROM. HASWELL. TO. SKYLAKE.) in k-series CPUs.
So, decide between overclock or virtualization features, or pay over a grand for our extreme edition CPUs which have both of these features available at the same time :)

only if you render with cpu.

i'm referring to bulldozer.

8350 is like 140 Watts.

Only the 95xx FX CPUs are 220 Watts.

Because in reality, Intel is Quadruple the price, double the performance, and half the power consumption.

No one is going to be illusioned here. Non APU AMD CPU's are trash. And we're all waiting for Zen

t. 8350 owner. I love this CPU but its finally showing its age.

we all know cinebench is compiled with intel compiler.
try x264 benchmark.

>Same performance
No one believes you, we all know how to google "benchmark" that being said, if you are going ultra cheap, AMD ain't bad for bottom tier.

Which processors have TSX implemented in them?
And did you know vt-d is supported on Skylake?

I think AMD APUs will take off in laptops when zen hits if intel doesn't do something jewish to stop them

AMD is ok for budget tier rigs.
If you want performance you just don't buy AMD period.

>inb4 billion threaded instruction agnostic workloads

I've used an AMD APU laptop, it certainly did sound like it was taking off. I almost couldn't hear the video I was watching.

Oh wow the whole compiler thing again. Why shouldn't Intel develop it's compiler for the best possible performance? Why should it sacrifice performance for competitors specific architecture? You are aware that no one is forced to use the intel compiler, right?

Most every car is set to 155mph max. Hell even the new Corvette will derate the engine, because of the warrenty period.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=j2AVrTWNk3E

AMD BTFO INTEL

Any non-k Haswell and newer has TSX. None worked.
>Skylake VT-d
Woah, they finally managed to activate overclocking and VT-d on chips less than 1 grand! Amazing!

So you are bitching about something no one at all has?
And vt-d had been here since the 4 series, dumbfuck, but you wouldn't know that because you are apparently too poor to even consider looking at the Intel specs

terrorist love AMD, that is true. Helps when they get funded from AMD

AMD, as much of a fanboy I am, unfortunately are shit unless you're buying super low end (CPU's of course). Anything over the $400 total mark you should just buy an i3