GOPHER is the ANSWER

Hate website bloat? Tired of shit Javascript?
Try GOPHER! Yes, its old, but it's alive and well.

Brings back the old exploratory feeling of the internet.

gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news
khzai.net
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes.

This!

No ads. No JS. No flash. No bullshit. Just content.

>includes full JavaScript interface

It haven't developed at all since when it became abandoned in favour of HTTP.
There's also much less valuable content compared to "normal web".
Not much reason to use it, besides novelty.

In the age of static site generators I don't think you have to sacrifice anything to have a fast modern website.

Hell even basic html you could learn in 5 minutes has more features than gopher

I hate that the most fun online I've had for years is spent exploring BBSs and Gopherholes.

But really, my love of Gopher is socio-political. The entire concept of the web is "universal access," which to me is the most important part of the internet. I almost think it should be law that a web site must be browsable as pure text.

The internet is too large and too important now to have barriers of entry. You can not put "you must be this tall to ride" boards outside libraries.

Yeah i love its format. 10/10

More features does not imply necessarily imply better. Basic HTML is much nicer than what you currently get on the web, but for a site that deals mostly in textual information its still a little overkill.

My favourite things about Gopher are really the structure and simplicity. And it doesn't have to be an 'alternative' to the web, it can integrate with the web nicely. Modern Gopher servers include a way for Gopher content to be accessed over HTTP. While that removes a little of the efficiency of the protocol, you still have that simplicity and that structure enforced.

bump

Gopher doesn't scale too well.

How, for example, would you render a news site in Gopher, including all the sections, breaking stories, discussions, etc.?

Pages would end up insanely long.

>pages
What is a page here? Gopher has menus and files

has Floodgap's news section.
>sections
>breaking stories
>discussions
Why couldn't these just be directories? Content in Gopher can be dynamic, including directories, you can see on Floodgap they have a folder for each source's stories, which then gives you a list of directories for stories in each month, and then they have a "most current" directory that pulls stories from the last 48 hours from all sources in to a single menu.

>What is a page here? Gopher has menus and files

You know what I meant.

And that's fine for that few sections on a small site, but things like the BBC news site has over 25 separate sections.

Even in pure HTML you can do things like tables and columns. In Gopher you have just a long list.

>You know what I meant.
I didn't really, HTML doesn't distinguish between "menus" and "files", though I assume you mean a menu since that's where you'd have selectable sections.

>BBC news site has over 25 separate sections
25 folders isn't really that much, and I count 10 main sections on bbc.com/news with others hidden behind a More selection, which you can do the same way on Gopher, or simply group those sections further ("News by Region" -> subdirectory: "World", "UK", "US & Canada" instead of those three being primary sections)

You can do tables, just not tables of links of course.

>In Gopher you have just a long list.
You have a hierarchical structure of directories, you don't have to list everything on one "page"

*BAMP*

Columns can be done in plain text.
Most of what you see on major news sites is shit/paid content.

We want to go BACK to when the internet was INFORMATION not PROPAGANDA!

another bump

still working this proxy for my gopherhole and playing around with stupid moles

Gopher's good, but are there any boards in gopherspace?
The only thing keeps me in Web is Sup Forums.

Sort of... Gopher was mostly designed as read-only, there isn't a equivalent. However, there are examples of boards:
gopher://gopher.su/1/board
gopher://port70.net/1/chan

The first one uses the search resource type, which asks the user for an input query, and passes it to the search server. In this case the "query" is a comment, and the "search server" is a script that adds the comment to the "thread".

Gopherchan has a more advanced but not entirely Gopher method, you send a post via telnet, and they provide a Python script to make it easy. That lets you have more than a line of input though.

It's pretty empty there :(

post your hole

gopher://khzai.net
khzai.net (work in progress proxy)

Stupid mole of the day is a Gopher front end for dict (with aspell producing the menu for "misspelled" words)

cheers lad will add to my other addresses