What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Samsung mostly.

Their entire business model for a while was "fuck Sony"

The OS X on VAIO PCs deal fell through

>beat by samcucks in TVs
>even their current smartphones have 2012 flagship level specs, only notable for their godly camera quality, not jewing you out of a SD slot and optimized software
>doesn't shill their console enough to gaijins
>gives up on laptops, sells the name to gooks

Everything, 10/10 aesthetics though, and their home theathers and bluray players are unbeatable.

Stupidly Sony is one of the few companies that had both the electronics and multimedia to build the strongest platform infrastructure around...

But almost every division in Sony more or less a stand alone company that only looked out for themselves and didn't see the big picture. Well, their media arm is mostly responsible for this. And it seems Sony's media arm still operates the same way.

But they do, a lot

Sony dropped their low end brand (Alwa i think it was?) and tried to compete with Samsung and others at every price point rather than just focus on the high end.

Unfortunately Sony's low end was comparatively bad compared with Samsung's who's international business model was designed to operate at a loss until they became a big player, floated by the Korean government. If they kept their low end label it'd have let them put out low end stuff without harming their main brand.

Well they do make decent cameras.

make best cameras
shitty phones
meh TV's and computers

They hate their customers
They put DRM in and on everything

Them expanding to a global market. They should have stayed in Japan and kept designing niche products and create more storage solutions

This. Sony is supposed to scream MUH MEDIA ENJOYMENT but their TVs are meh. It's like owning a Vizio TV and paying extra for the Sony name. Sony is good at a few things. Blu-ray players. Cameras. Video games.

Audio as well, its like they gave up on everything but the PS4, my broken Xperia M I use exclusively for SMS and calls running stock KK is just as fast as my sister's Xperia C4 and XA Ultra, the only difference is camera quality and size, the old 40" Bravia I have collecting dust in a corner (my parents bought a 60" samshit) looks better than their newest 4K 55" flatscreens, those things can't handle sports without making it look like a blurry mess.

I never got a VAIO back when they were THE laptop for non macfags/thinkpad users (bluray drive, i5, upgradable 4 GB ram, 500 HDD, 3 USB ports, HDMI, Bluetooth, wifi and 1080 glossy screen for two thirds the price of a Mac? Sign me the fuck up), they're not made by Sony anymore and their last one is basically a waste of money when lenovo thinkpads and high end ASUS ones exist.

Too expensive. I like their stuff but the price is ridiculous. Not that I'm a poorfag but I can get better specced stuff from other companies. I will say that the Sony touch is special, though.

>What went wrong?

Nothing

My 55" 4k 3d Bravia Smart TV with Android built in and Kodi fucking wrecks any other TV on the planet.

Just imagine

ANDROID on your fucking TV

Emulators
Kodi
Streaming video from my PC

The image quality is amazing

For fuck's sake it has USB ports on the side so I can plug in game controllers and flash drives

I can't think of any way it can get any fucking better.

>shitty phones
They're still better than Samshit.
>not cucking root users
>not adding gigabytes of bloatware
>not pushing shit overpriced phones

Also,
>best console on the market
>great quality devices
>all their hardware lasts at least 8 years
They are definitely a high quality brand.

>not pushing shit overpriced phones
Xperia X Compact

In the 90s, they were the best electronics company period.

In the aughts they went downhill really fast. Overpriced, shitty hardware, and questionable software choices.

Combine that with Samsung's absolutely MASSIVE F.U.D. campaigns against Sony and they were hurt pretty bad.

They have recently been improving quite a bit.

They make some of the best cellphones on the market. They make a great console, and they are the number three camera brand on the market (and they are closing in on Nikon quickly). They continue to also make awesome audio hardware.

They have some ways to go with customer service in the states though.

>doesn't explode
:^)

Fuck Sony, PENTAX IS GOD

They were the best, then consistently failed to hit new markets hard and fast. look a the walkman, why the fuck is the ipod a fucking thing? sony didn't go into mp3 till everyone else was established and they slit their wrists.

my god, even after they fell from grace, they thought they could still damned the sony price.

look at the vita, a solid handheld console, could have went places, put out proprietary media that cost 10X what sd cost and was not faster, good job, I know many people who would have bought the console, but 50+$ for 8gb is never going to happen.

Maybe their newer AndroidTVs are better, but they put in the most goddamn anaemic chip possible in their early ones and that probably turned a lot of people off them.

Bare minimum it should have a Qualcom 6xx series chip, ideally an 8xx

Apple is simply the better company.

sony still makes your sensors

Competition as per the rest of Japan. They've never produced enough valuable IP to sustain their level of prosperity in the face of said competition. All in all, a meme economy.

Haven't bought a Sony product since the whole rootkit scandal.
They are wedded to proprietary formats too which makes them unattractive

You do realise that the PS4 is the fastest selling console of all time, right? It's basically the only console worth buying in Asia and Europe.

Their competitors are only the Xbox One in America and Nintendo in Japan. They actually have a chance of overtaking the Xbox in the US but they have no chance of beating Nintendo at home, Japs love their shitty Nintendo games.

Netflix limited to 480p max on Android TV

>netflix limited to 480p max

Bullshit,even the shitty netflix android app outputs 1080p

When it comes to quality of their products? Nothing

Their TVs and mobile phones are fucking top tier, I'd even argue that they make some of the best TVs in the world.

Their problem is sales. Normies would rather buy the crappier Samsung TVs because they're like $200+ cheaper and don't care about the better picture and features of the Sony TVs.

As for their Xperia line, they're quality but Sony seem to be using retarded logic like

>Hey we haven't sold many of these things, maybe we should actually advertise them?
>Naa, no point in advertising them if nobody is buying them

I haven't seen a single advert on TV for their Xperia phones but I see Apple ad Samsung ads all the time.

They're doing fine in the console department. I think it's mainly because the head of Sony was the old head of the Playstation brand so he knows that it's a money maker and has probably allowed for more funding and advertising.

>What went wrong?

The Sony tax: they still strongly believe they can charge 25% more and upwards (going as far as double or triple the price) for exactly the same specs just because "it's Sony".

The Sony clock: a meme that fucked them up last decade, that said all of their stuff included a clock that made it self destruct a couple of days after the manufacturer warranty expired. Even though it was stupid, it wasn't that far from truth though.

Also, all their divisions operating like independent companies throwing one another under the bus without a clear business vision. I think the only thing keeping them afloat nowadays are their finnancial products like insurances and such.

I had aiwa vhs player/recorded, it was alright

Sony literally became shit when lcd tvs became a thing because early sony tvs were shit and overpriced.
Also samsung, lg happened. Sony just could not compete. Sony used to be a standart with their trinitron series
They are not anymore.

Another thing, outsourcing production to china. I know several people who only bought sony because it was made in japan.
Nowadays sony just gather parts from various manufacturers, assemble some mediocre shit and put sony sticker on it, sell it at 150% rrp

Maybe just in burgerland

For all intensive purposes, I like to think of Sony as Apple's underachieving brother from Japan

I remember back in the Napster days when random chinkshit companies were starting to put out flash-based mp3 players. I thought to myself, "surely Sony, with their cassette and CD players, will put out an mp3 walkman and it will be a hit."

>Network Walkman released
>Doesn't support mp3
>Proprietary ATRAC format
>Proprietary Memory Stick
>Refuses to acknowledge mp3 until iPod becomes a runaway success

By the time Sony got their heads out of their asses, they already lost the market, and have slowly began to lose their hold on other markets as well.

>Sony tax
You've also described Apple

having a hacked PS3 is pretty nice