Post your uni and what brings you to Sup Forums
>trying to escape the botnet

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Public_Liberal_Arts_Colleges
m.epm.sagepub.com/content/62/4/590.full.pdf
pdf.courses.qut.edu.au/coursepdf/qut_IN01_31534_int_cms_unit.pdf
uq.edu.au/study/plan_display.html?acad_plan=COSCIY2030
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you that idiot we were making fun of yesterday?

how do you deal with only white liberal idiots at that school?

Liberal arts colleges are not universities.

Also Missouri S&T, I'm here to shit post.

>tfw almost went there
best decision not to go, so goddamn expensive

>University of Idaho
>I've been wanting to learn a new technology and was wondering what /dpt/ has been thinking.

Idiot, no, samefag, yes.

It's not just the whites anymore. The nonwhites, "people of color", also subscribe heavily to various forms of leftist thought, summarized as SJWism. I realized that it's completely overrun so I have given up trying to publicly voice opposition and only do so when smaller conversations arise.

>best decision not to go, so goddamn expensive
I assume you're middle-class white, in which case, yeah, it'd most likely be tough to get enough money from the school. You'd also have to deal with getting shit on for being white, middle class, and male.

so am i :^)

>white
not quite
>middle class
Yeah.
>male
sure, but gay so I win some oppression points.

Does literally everyone smoke weed as I've heard online? I guess that would be a positive.

kys degenerate

no thanks, I love being a degenerate piece of shit.

I go to reed too

not regularly; in any case, you probably made a poor choice

Living up to the moniker Vandal well.

>pay 40k a year
>pay ~6k a year
uh, I don't think so.

>he thinks being gay is special
Kek, as has happened everywhere else in America, so I hear, so at Reed is it the case that white gay males are still seen as oppressors and upholders of racist colonialist patriarchy and so are held in lower esteem than a queer person of color (specifically trans or gender-nonconforming). But being mixed, you can just say you're a POC and encounter no issues.

>Does literally everyone smoke weed as I've heard online?
Yes, plus other drugs like MDMA and ketamine, but weed is most common. Lots of people also smoke cigarettes.

Liberal art schools are so awful. I can go to an instate engineering university for 8k a year.

Oh really? I didn't think anyone else browsed Sup Forums, let alone Sup Forums. Interdasting.

I've only accumulated 6k of debt so far and I'm almost out. But then I don't have a lot of privilege so Reed and the federal government generously account for that ;o

it depends on what you're looking for, but if I could go back and make another choice, I would have just gone to a trade school out of high school. But then I don't think I'd ever have found Sup Forums, and I really value that.

on second thought, maybe you made the right choice--if avoiding debt is your highest priority, it wouldn't have been a good fit. it's kind of cultish and not a good place to go if you're at all ambivalent. some really smart people, though
what's your major?

Yeah, I'm mixed enough to claim POC status so I wouldn't encounter issues. I would get sick of the constant SJW nonsense though (and I'm even far-left). I do like drugs though (ketamine is fucking amazing). I smoked up until a couple of weeks ago.

Seriously, it's nuts. And at an LAC you can't _really_ do research, which I'm able to do here.

I'm (((privileged))) but that's just because my family that would never help me pay for college has a lot of money.

Ultimately it was a better choice to not go to an LAC.

I'm okay with cultish and I was accepted. I think I would be fine with the culture for the most part. I just have no interest in ruining my life with debt and then complaining about it all the time.

again, if staying out of debt is what matters most to you, it won't be a good fit; you probably made the right choice
you could have managed the debt, I'm sure, but there's no shame in not being up for that

As you can understand, we can't really divulge those kinds of details as it's such a small school and chances aren't slim that we know each other. You don't really want other people to know you come here, especially if you, for example, sympathize with Sup Forums. Even the way I type might be a give-away. I'll just say it's not a common major like STEM.

I used to be far left myself but after I figured that far-leftism was going in a direction I hated I dropped it and now take a more moderate position, though still ardently dedicated to the principle of individual freedom. Like I find crypto-anarchism to be fascinating, for instance.

I don't, I'm eager to find other closeted non-far leftists. I'm a philosophy major.

So your major is uncommon then?

quads for truth?

I just don't really care about ideology anymore, I used to be into intellectual masturbation like Zizek but I see little value in it anymore.

if this is how y'all feel there--you really can't be open about not being a leftist?

I think it's stupid to believe in the left-right dichotomy. I'd probably be considered a far right winger for my political beliefs even though I support universal healthcare, free college, etc.

Well, since you say that, I suppose I can say I'm also a Philosophy major, coincidentally (or non-coincidentally??).

Philosophy here is pretty uncommon, though not the rarest of majors. Not a very large department, so it is basically 100% certain that we know each other. We just don;t know exactly who is behind the screen.

If you're on campus right now, I'm sure you've been hearing the music playing tonight?

>I just don't really care about ideology anymore
Same here. I don't belive in picking your pre-built package anymore, or a pre-built PC, if you know what I mean. You got to assemble it yourself (if you decide to bother assembling one at all, which I also no longer care to do).

>I just don't really care about ideology anymore
I don;t even care about philosophy anymore in general. I've learned nothing new and useful in years and there's rarely any correspondence to reality.

>if this is how y'all feel there--you really can't be open about not being a leftist?
You could potentially face all sorts of ostracization. Race has really blown up as a big issue in the past few years and though I think it's fucking bullshit, and that everyone is treated basically the same as anyone else regardless of other stuff, most people for some reason do not see it that way, and very tenaciously.

>I think it's stupid to believe in the left-right dichotomy. I'd probably be considered a far right winger for my political beliefs even though I support universal healthcare, free college, etc.
Yeah, but I think if what that scale actually means were more clearly defined, it might be more useful or pertinent. But yeah, as it stands, it does a poor job of representing people's views.

And oh yeah, I really wasn't joking about practically everyone being a Mac user.

>startpage
good choice user

yeah, a big chunk of the student body will write you off if you express views they disagree with. a big chunk won't, of course; but, all in all, the reed community seems unusually eager, even compared to other colleges, to condemn a person for his or her views.
professors who give large, inter-major lectures are scared to step on any toes and face blowback; a professor recently talked about being kept awake worrying that the objectively gentle and innoffensive things he said in talking about representation of minorities might be taken in the wrong way
I've met some incredible people here and the curriculum is fantastic, but there is something seriously wrong with the climate--people need to read each other's words charitably

Liberal arts college is such a stupid term. A liberal arts college is just a college that doesn't put much emphasis on post graduate. There are a lot of perfectly good liberal arts colleges.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Public_Liberal_Arts_Colleges

that's funny, are you alex?

nah, but don't go guessing names here, /user/.

sorry, I just felt so sure

I guess we all write similarly

But you know Alex, correct?

USC

just tell each other your names fellas

I really hate how they attack the faculty who do nothing wrong. I think that's ultimately the worst part.

Huh. Good to know. Thanks for giving me some insight to what could have been.

Go back to Facebook you fucking faggots.

chico state here, other than being in the middle of nowhere, its alright.

I mean you also have a certain curriculum set. Like you have, typically, an offering of Humanities majors with some basic STEM and a focus on some classics or books of the canon, whereas a technical school, you know, would be pretty much entirely STEM driven.

Maybe. I don't know people's last names and I don't know any Alexes especially well. I have heard the name. Can't put it to a person atm.

I don't think that's really a good idea. I might be convinced, but I doubt it.

>Sup Forums
>fagbook

Every university has general education requirements. I'm in an engineering school and even I have to take Humanities bullshit.

Yeah but it's the emphasis, is what I mean.

What brings you to Sup Forums, by the way?

And you too. Why Sup Forums?

Boredom.

JUST, the college.

Philosophy majors of the world UNITE.

What's it like there, user? Never heard of it.

What's with all the Philosophy majors?

I used to go on /fit/ a lot and came back to Sup Forums recently after a long hiatus to find it's the worst board, so I've been looking for a new home
g seems to have just enough decent and thoughtful people to keep a conversation going and it's slow enough that things don't get lost in the mix
I also got really into mechanical keyboards

it's cuny, dude, kripke teaches there sometimes

Sup Forums in general is overrun with INTPs, INTJs, and ENTPs, who tend to be deep thinkers.

Haha, what a coincidence; /fit/ was actually one of the first boards I browsed regularly a long while ago. I visited maybe last month and it looked like a complete circlejerk.

I started browsing Sup Forums afterward, but have since left; I pop into /r9k/ every now and then and I used to go to /x/ after leaving Sup Forums but stopped my visits too after mod bullshit. There are boards I'm leaving out but it doesn't matter. Sup Forums is my home board.

You actually believe in personality groups? They're just astrology for atheists.

kek
ENTP math major here

You need to get someone tested and read the results and see for yourself just how much a person's personality is captured in this seeming-pseudo-science. It's remarkably and surprisingly accurate if you're a sceptic looking into it for the first time yourself. Same goes for Astrology and Enneagram, though I'd say the former is less precise and the latter more precise than Myers-Briggs.

It just werks, and you should give it a try if you haven't already. >>>/16personalities.com/

>Sup Forums in general is overrun with ... deep thinkers.

Ahahaahahahahaha

no, they aren't, read more than cracked.com about it; search "meyers briggs" on google scholar

Have you ever thought about programming at all?

>cracked.com
no.

Yes. I do programming for research work and for fun.

CCNY is basically like any other commuter college in a huge city university system. Bretty gud in general, very affordable, generally respected, but underfunded, dingy, no party scene to speak of, hard to socialize, and full of Indians and Asians trying to be engineers and doctors, who mostly stay with themselves. The last part doesn't bother me but it's worth mentioning that if you're white it's you who is the minority there.

Another notable philosopher at CUNY is Michael Levin. You can imagine how much of a shitstorm it was when a well-known genetic intelligence believer and general Sup Forumslack began teaching there.

Well I mean that the chans in general tend to attract people who are fairly critical and despise shallow and superficial thinking. I haven't accounted for the influx of normalfag Redditors that have shit up the site.

I see. I'm thinking about picking it up, though it's not particularly attractive. I just think about stuff like how there are currently no good browsers out on the market, and wonder if I should try and work toward changing that or something else.

here ya go
m.epm.sagepub.com/content/62/4/590.full.pdf

I'm not very familiar with the whole uni system.

Which course looks better?
pdf.courses.qut.edu.au/coursepdf/qut_IN01_31534_int_cms_unit.pdf

uq.edu.au/study/plan_display.html?acad_plan=COSCIY2030

It seems like QUT has more more options for studying security but it seems like it has a bunch of crappy business and other useless courses (Am I black enough? Indigenous Australian Representations) shit stuffed in there while UQ seems to be much cleaner. Am I correct?

haha notable philosopher? you sure?

>for-profit
be careful mate

Yea I'm solid on scholarships. Still gay as fuck mascot.

>UQ seems to be much cleaner. Am I correct?
Yeah, but QUT has the Networking and Security minor.

There are literally dozens of paid people who work on making firefox better. I wouldn't do programming if that's your interest. You have to enjoy solving problems critically and working through trivialities and idiosyncrasies--it's easy to get bogged down. Once you become good at solving easy problems, you can help solve hard problems.

You're thinking of old Mozilla, new Mozilla is paying people to fuck up Firefox but don't worry they're doing it diversely.

not as cool as a griffin, that's for sure

I was thinking MFFGA along the lines of what GNU IceCat does, which I use, but taking it a step farther. Yeah, I have no delusions it would be difficult. The Icecat team released their last version of ESR 38 back in May and have yet to get a stable version of ESR 45 out yet.

memes and bant aside--the difficulty of solving these problems is massive. There's a reason nobody gets it perfect.

Just learn stuff, do stuff, learn more stuff, do more stuff. Eventually you'll reach a point where the only way to learn more stuff is to do more stuff.

It's liberating. I feel close.

Yes a fucking griffon would have been better. Anything but a dragon.

if that's not** jesus christ

>new Mozilla is paying people to fuck up Firefox
It really does look that way. The s/x/eptic Sup Forumslack in me presumes that the sabotage is very intentional by shadowy elite actors who are also involved in undermining the TOR project, for example. Think back to the possibly false rape accusations made against Jacob Applebaum just a few months ago. He's now no longer developing TOR.

>memes and bant aside
The codebase has dropped significantly in quality since, I would say, version 38. It was fairly unfucked at that point, so if anyone wanted to try and unfuck Firefox, the best shot would be to go back to that point, I think, and just try and work backwards to get something as modern as whatever version of FF will be out at that time.

But yeah, I'm very concerned with the freedom aspect of programming. I am concerned that after Hillary is elected (((they))) really will start cracking down on every freedom in the computing world one by one, and that this stuff will be forced off the clear net, so there would need to be a lot of working from scratch by well-informed individuals in order to put up a proper resistance. But this is all paranoid speculation.

you and I are kindred spirits, I hope we get talking some time.
well thought out conspiracy theorizing is the most interesting application of the kind of thinking you learn in philosophy classes; keep an ear out, some of our professors have some cool conspiracy theories of their own

Haha, I honestly would have never guessed. They all seem like good goys desu senpai

But yeah, if you have some time left in this place, we might knowingly cross paths at some point. Maybe I'll decide to wear a 4 of Clubs sometime and attract some anons.

Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

bamp

let's get more collegecucks in here, preferrebly STEM related to get the conversation more Sup Forums oriented so the thread doesn't get deleted for being "off-topic".

what computers do people on your campus use, and what OS?

Getting the fuck out of here soon to attend a real Uni.

>ASU isn't a real uni

Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning

getting fast, anonymous code help

slowly realizing that Stackoverflow is better anyway, especially now that I'm not a n00b.

M.S. in Chemistry

UNI???? Most of the people here havent even finished junior school

Bachelor in CompSci

comp sci major

I dont live in the state so I pay the majorly inflated out of state rate. Here for Computer Engineering and cybersecurity.