Mozilla removes browser extension “Web of Trust”

from its store, because it collects, records, analyzes and sells user-related data to third-parties

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOT_Services

Other urls found in this thread:

heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Abgegriffene-Browserdaten-Mozilla-entfernt-Web-of-Trust-3455990.html
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-does-phishing-and-malware-protection-work#w_what-information-is-sent-to-mozilla-or-its-partners-when-phishing-and-malware-protection-are-enabled
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Seriously? And here to think I trusted them all along

mozilla confirmed goat

fug i have that installed on my browsers

only imbeciles used extensions like wot

>TRUSTING OPEN SORES SOFTWARE

Source in German heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Abgegriffene-Browserdaten-Mozilla-entfernt-Web-of-Trust-3455990.html

NO ENGLISH LANGUAGE PUBLICATION HAS WRITTEN ABOUT THIS YET

IT HAS 870.000 USERS

A team of journalists made a dummy corporation and bought lots of data about 3 million users. The data also contained intimate details of Journalists and high-ranking german politicians. The browser plugin "Web of Trust" was identified as one of the sources of said data, which was supposed to protect from illegal data collection and fraud.

source: Rough translation of a passage from the article posted above.
If you have any questions about the article feel free to ask, altough i won't translate it fully.
it doesn't seem to be open source
besides, this kind of shit is much easier to conceal in proprietary software

Selling malware as security is one the magician oldest tricks. Same applies to "free" VPN services, or fake anti virus solutions.

>Open sores will protect me against somebody mishandling my data on a server I have no control over

Gee wizz lad you probablt use Google CHromium by google with free open sored dns service.

>web of trust
>its not trust worthy
The irony

google chrome is well known as highly questionable, and it doesn't really try to hide that either considering you can fucking make an account or whatever that crap is. Open source is by no means an insurance against spionage it just makes it harder to hide.

Or makes it easier to trick the users with false feeling of security. When you create spyware you rarely put shit in the client side software. You spy on server side which is by no means prevented by open source.

how did you come up with that zinger?

but you can see what the client sends and why, web of trust has no business sending heaps of user data, especially not unanonymized

It sends all url you visit or are about to visit for "verification". This is more then enough to effectively spy on you.

web of trust or chrome?

So, the same thing that Firefox does with Google?
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-does-phishing-and-malware-protection-work#w_what-information-is-sent-to-mozilla-or-its-partners-when-phishing-and-malware-protection-are-enabled

Mozilla has a store?

this tbqh

lol
people on Sup Forums falling for these extensions
im not even surprised

I stare at myself in a big mirror that's in my living room until a quality post dawns on me

Just use noscript you dipshit, know nothing millennials

I always disable all that since uMatrix already has blocklists that work well

Disappointed, but not surprised. If you're not paying for the product, you are the product. Actually, it was my only reason for sticking with Mozilla; go Chrome? Then again, won't make much difference.

>mfw noscript probably collects and sells user data too

THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR TRUSTING OPEN SORES

Firstly Mozilla don't have any store as Chrome, it's free.
Secondly, same thing happens on Chromium browsers etc...

but you can read(and modify) the source code of the extension anytime you want.

That addon is absolute shit, especially after they simplified their model to be mostly about child safety.
I bet the only people who still use it anymore are the ones who downloaded it years ago and simply never bothered uninstalling.

people actually used that shit?

lot of anons here even use ghostery, noscript, adblock plus and other botnets like wot

>falling for snake oil
Sup Forums truly is the home of the Sup Forumsoyim

are you new or something, i see some retard using trash like abp, disconnect or ghostery everyday on Sup Forums not to mention the CĂșck CĂșck Go botnet

>original creators left in 2014
>became TOW Software sometime last year
>ceases operations in June of this year

U can stil benefit from that service w/out that plugin.

Duckduck has a setting option which enables WOT-ratings in the returned results.

personally I've ditched it two years ago while installing [spoiler]uMatrix[/spoiler].

>Just use noscript you dipshit, know nothing millennials

You mean just use uMatrix you dipshit, know-nothing Sup Forumstard.

>Jew Jew Go
>switching from one botnet to another

Good to know, i hate addons anyway.

>Don't have any store as chrome, it's free

god have the users here really become this dumb?

Glad I never used it then. Of course, I don't see the point of using a reputation service when you can just practice some common sense.

>tfw i have been using it for 2+ years

JUST