What kind of infrastucture would there be to link a mars colony to the internet back on Earth?

What kind of infrastucture would there be to link a mars colony to the internet back on Earth?

The time it takes for light to travel to earth from the sun is about 8 minutes, so if mars and earth are on roughly opposite of each other, it'd take half an hour to update a single page.

Would there just be massive servers whose job is to get a constant stream of webpages to be cached for locals to access?

you would need quantum tech where latency is zero and so on to make earth internet available to mars. in the short - medium term having a site-to-site satellite connection between the two planets and having CDNs on mars

Quantum Tech?

What the fuck are you on about.

Speed of Light is Speed of Light.

Mars would have its own internet

Thats not really the question.

probubly run a fiber optik wire from a satellite in space to one near mars

Well first there ain't gonna be a mars colony, because there's no reason for there to be one other than "but space is cool, guys!".

Second, if there were, you'd have to do things asynchronously. Because there's not just a pretty massive ping time, there's a sharp bandwidth limit, too. I'd imagine it'd look more like a massive central email server than anything else, actually. You'd have big mail spools on mars and at whatever facility (or facilities) on earth were responsible for communicating with it, and when the planets are lined up for good radio contact, they exchange mail.

which reminds me, the spam you'd get on your PDA in Doom 3 was a nice touch.

Mars has resources in its ground waiting to be mined and turned into goods.

>Rust and carbon dioxide
We already have plenty of those here on earth. Also earth miners don't need space suits, have a ready supply of food and water, don't need protection from radiation, etc.

Send little rockets that carry little USB drives filled with meme pics that fly back and forth between Mars and Earth.

Or just make a really, really, really long ethernet cable.

You're thinking of the now ludite, that's the difference between people like you and Elon, he has visions, you don't. Also NASA website has a page that lists all known and found resources on Mars, there's money to be made and the first country to land there, the race to Mars will be super power countries competing to get there.

People who are having visions belong in the psych ward. We only went to the moon because it was a cold-war dick-waving contest. Lets not start another one of those, we have plenty to do here on earth.

>he has visions
His vision is related to buzzwords, easy money without any real achieve and shitty corporate culture. Literally pointless to land on Mars anyway.

You wouldn't have to wait for the planets to align. Assuming no quantum entanglement break through you can use a series of satellites to constantly communicate from mars to earth. They would be positioned so it wouldn't matter the orbit. Laser antennas can carry a lot of data. I can really see a inter planetary network that allows delayed but high bandwidth data, such as video.

Mars would have to have its own separate internet.

>Would there just be massive servers whose job is to get a constant stream of webpages to be cached for locals to access?

This I think would be the most workable solution, you can send data transmissions, it's just the latency thats the huge issue

>8 minutes to load the next page of hentai doujin
>8 minutes for each shitpost on Sup Forums
>8 minutes for reply between voice calls

deal breaker

>You will own a .mars domain in your lifetime

the fact that Mars is round would introduce new connectivity/infrastructure issues we haven't had to deal with on Earth

>tfw setting up a proxy server that mirrors exhentai and other degenerate websites on the sun

Is this going to be my million dollar idea?

>on the sun
You'll setup a /dev/null server?

since nobody answered I'll take a crack.

There's a phenomenon where charges of sub-atomic particles are linked to other particles potentially the entire universe apart, somehow they're able to communicate and change states at identical points in 'relative' time.

it's extremely far fetched, but it could be possible to use this to transmit information faster than light. quantum state bullshit you know.

We'd use IPFS (inter planetary file system, google it). You'd fetch the website from other people on Mars who had already gotten it from Earth.

Quantum jumps doesn't make something "travel" at a certain speed. It sort move itself across space by distorting its surroundings like pic related. Nobody knows how it happens exactly so I will probably talking shit if I say more than that.

My point is that the concept of speed doesn't mean much in quantum physics, so c isn't a practical limit anymore.

>>>/no-cloning_theorem/

One of the most important things would be to set up a satellite network around the sun so we could maintain communications even when we're on opposite sides of it.

Quantum teleportation is a real thing, but the only information it can transmit is a qubit, and the maximum distance achieved thus far is ~100km through fiber optic cables.