Which monitor brand?

I am looking for a 24" display. (23.6" is ok)
But which fucking brand?

Just spent an hour looking at dead pixel and other warranty policies, and it didn't help.

Here are the models I found:
> BenQ GL2450E
People complain about stuck, dead pixels.
> Acer K242HLbd
They say in reviews it's pure shit.
> LG 24M47VQ-P
Again, pixel problems.
> Iiyama ProLite E2482HD
They praise picture quality, but also has dead pixel problems.
> Philips 246V5LSB
Found only a few reviews, and the Philips policy is not available, didn't find it.

So far I discovered there is "Class I" and "Class II" displays. Class I should have no defect, but then all manufacturers say 5-6-7 pixels are even tolerable.

I only had one on my ThinkPad and it annoyed the fuck out of me. It ruins the display.

The story:
> bought a 22" AOC LCD
> it's been a fucking week
> still not here
> returned

Other urls found in this thread:

eizo.se/files/pixel policy 20150121.pdf
eizoglobal.com/support/warranty/
dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN130145
youtube.com/watch?v=J3UBVsvGYEE&t=0s
youtube.com/watch?v=txybuyqMWas
pcgamesn.com/overwatch/overwatch-219-support-stretched
amazon.com/dp/B00QS0AKVK/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B00VRKVGJG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> inb4 dead/bright/stuck pixels are OK
I had plenty of displays and they never had any pixel issues - but they are older. Back then IIRC it was not acceptable to have ANY fucked pixel, or you could return the display. Or so I remember from the page I bought it.

> inb4 additional warranty
I know you can buy "Premium warranty" at some places, but they mostly sell these for premium panels already. So, does not help much, I am looking for an affordable 24" display.

So the question is, which brand, or model?
Which has the best policy, or better, just no fucked up pixels that I would have to watch for three years or more?

... These are mostly TN panel displays.
But I could go with an IPS, spend twice as much, but the pixel thing is still there, IPS does not solve that problem.

I have a Dell p2416d.
Colors are great, almost no backlight bleed.

Eizo

Added it to the shop filter, it's just 4x as expensive as any other model.
Is it made for vegans?

Checked Dell, but the pixel policy sucks. It's like 6-7 pixels, basically "Get Fucked" is their stance on this.

Of course the top-top-tier displays have 0-dead-pixel warranty, but those are like 500-850$ or so.

Quality wise people praise liyama for example, but I am still fucking worried about this pixel thing. One thing though, I could return it since I am in the EU.. but fuck I am no scumbag customer, I just want a non-broken display.

Oh I forgot.
> Samsung Policy
"Talk to us and we will see."
Which does not seem very convincing to me.
I mean you end up wasting half the display's price just to send it back, get it back, and get no replacement/repair done.

You want quality, you pay for it.

eizo.se/files/pixel policy 20150121.pdf
eizoglobal.com/support/warranty/

It's got the same shitty policy as the 4 times cheaper models, so it does not help much.

Dell at least gives 100% warranty for such overpriced models. Oh well.
So, anyone knows a good brand?

>>the same shitty policy
>eizo.se/files/pixel policy 20150121.pdf
>0 bright pixels
>0 dead pixels
>0 bright sub-pixels
>up to 5 dark sub-pixels
sure thing senpai.

so you can just have 5 fucked up pixels, wew.

>Dell at least gives 100% warranty for such overpriced models. Oh well.

You get what you pay for, user.

TN is all rubbish, just buy the cheapest that fits your needs.
If you want quality buy IPS, they're much cheaper now. Dell and Eizo are good.

Man, this "x amount of stuck pixels is acceptable" shit is bullshit we as consumers absolutely should not put up with that shit at all

I literally refuse to buy anything with a screen unless I'm guaranteed to be allowed to return it if I have even a single dead pixel

>buy 3k britbux tv
>oh it only had 4 dead pixels right in the center that is one below the minimum for an exchange! sorry!

lol go fuck yourself you cunts any amount is unacceptable I didn't pay full price for something not working 100%

Buy it from John Lewis or Amazon next time m8.

Yeah always. I would never unless I could return. Argos tends to be good for returns too.

Be careful with amazon returns too many and you run the risk of a permanent ban from amazon - not just you but your entire address with no way to dispute.

As I mentioned IPS/TN has nothing to do with the pixels. IPS has the same problem.

Btw yeah there is an IPS - in this "higher price range":
Iiyama ProLite X2483HSU-2

Google is full of issues of this display.
So I don't know.

> Pay more
> Get fucked
Doesn't seem logical to me.

That is a far better policy than what the manufacturers you listed in op have. Bright pixels are the worst.

Also >Dell at least gives 100% warranty
is actually the same, 0 bright, up to 5 dark sub-pixels policy that Eizo has.
dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN130145

Yes, what you're looking for is a good warrenty, which is not strictly related to the monitors in question. Dell and Eizo, or buying from somewhere you know will allow a return are really your only options

That's today's lesson it seems, indeed.

I will order a 24" TN panel, probably this one:
> Iiyama ProLite E2482HD
The BenQ is also praised, but I had two BenQ's "fading away" very quickly (colors got washed out after 1 year) and they died soon after.

So, I guess that's it.
If it sucks, I will send it back under EU return policy. Of course I will be careful with packaging and shit, but I don't want any bright pixels for 3 years in my face.

Thanks guys.

> inb4 not IPS
the IPS liyama is +50$, and it sucks ass, you can find youtube vids on it, etc. I mean sure, good for viewing Excel spreadsheets, but occasionally I do want to watch a movie or play some vidya.

Just order your display on amazon and send it back without reason if there's even a single dead pixel. It's not like amazon gives a shit.

I am from a European country, it ain't that easy.
Here you have two weeks to return IF you buy it online.
Luckily I bought this 22" online, that I will be returning. (It's still on the way to the drop point. I will talk with the shop if it's easier to let the courier return it, or I should pick it up and take it back by hand.)

as i said here
be careful with too many amazon returns especially expensive ones

dell ultrasharp 4:3
main reason: 4:3, very flexible stand, supports a soundbar, usb-ports

Btw there are "AMVA" displays available, they are between IPS and TN, but it seems like they suck ass:
youtube.com/watch?v=J3UBVsvGYEE&t=0s

youtube.com/watch?v=txybuyqMWas

Like it's absolutely unfit for any kind of gaming.
So,... TN panel it is, I guess...
(Could not find any IPS panels, they are like twice as much.)

Though VA/AMVA should be better than TN in terms of color... if I could find one that ain't ghosting like mad...

VA is alright, it has very good blacks which all other LCDs lack, but ultimately lost to IPS as the premium LCD technology for a number of reasons.

What's your budget? IPS is relatively cheap these days, they should not be double the price unless you're looking at the cheapest monitors you can find.

Well, budget is tricky question.
At first I wanted to spend around 80-100$, the 22" liyama I mentioned in OP was like 90$.

Now after spending 1.5 hours looking at displays, "ok, 24" since I watch it all day..."... then came the "TN sucks" reviews/messages.

So now I am here, looking at 150$ displays already.
dell-se2416h

(wanted to link the dell site but it triggers the filter)

I found this last.
> 3yrs warranty: nice
> IPS: Double nice
> 6ms g-t-g response time: what the fuck?

So I am now looking at vids and reviews if it can play games, or it will ghost the fuck out.
My first cheap shit 22" BenQ had 5ms response rate, so this 6ms is just a shock, lol.

Read 3 reviews, checked 4 videos...
Not a single check for latency/response time.

The fuck is wrong with people?
That's like one of the most important things...

Don't get stressed out over response time, no modern screen will have noticeable blurring outside of actual defects.
It's a bit of a snake oil spec because there's no standardised way of measuring it and manufactures can take whatever liberties they please. For example, Dell had the U2312 listed at 8ms, while there was an LG screen listing 5ms despite using exactly the same panel.
gtg response is also not at all indicative of changes between colours.

let me get this straight
yoyu have $150 and want
>no dead pixels at all
>extended warranty
>IPS
>low response time
>gaming suitable screen (is 144hz essential or not?)
either way, that $150 is way below price point of screens that have all of what you want

Latency and response time are not the same thing. Response time refers to how quickly a pixel can change, latency is best expressed as input delay. No modern monitor has more than a few ms of input delay and higher-end IPS screens actually tend to be better in that regard.

While you can roughly approximate these things with a fast camera, accurately measuring them requires an oscilloscope, so reviews for low-end monitors are not going to bother or have access to the necessary equipment. Real review sites like tftcentral and prad don't care about cheaper screens because that's not their audience.

Alright, so this Dell it will be....
Wish me luck gentlemen.

(I am using an ASUS ROG for display now, it uses an AUO219D for panel, which I have no info about if it's TN, IPS, or whatever.)

It sounds silly at the end, yes.
I used a 17" display that I bought used. It gradually got more and more fucked up by itself (pixels burning out, power going off and on), so I wanted to buy a cheap 22" TN display.

I did. I ordered it more than a week ago.
Still not here, so I will return it, because fuck such companies.

Since it will be returned, I looked at other panels, and thought, I will just use this new display as main, and the laptop as secondary when needed.

TL;DR:
> no dead pixels
Guess I am spoiled. My cheap as fuck benq ..two of them, never had a dead pixel. The TV we bought (LCD/LED) into the family, never had pixel problems. My laptops never had this. And so on.

> extended warranty
Just 3 years, AOC, Dell, Liyama gives that much at least.

cont..

Could have just posted all the TL;DR parts in a new reply. Fuck it.

CONT:
> IPS
Nope. I wanted a TN panel, then I saw "AMVA". People even mentioned here IPS panels, but I only found expensive ones.
I was on the verge of picking the 130$ liyama E2482HD.

But then I saw this Dell for 160$.
And it has IPS, 3 years warranty.
You do get refurbished models from Dell, in warranty, so there is that.

> low response time
Nah, I just don't want ghosting in games/movies, that's all.

> gaming suitable
Nah, again, just no ghosting.

I see, thanks for the info.
I do play competitive modes in games, and I do fairly well, but I don't think a few ms will even matter. (Not like a million dollar CS:GO tournament is ever decided by that 5-10ms delay, lol.)

not all IPS are equal, cheap panels still have cheap quality. if you are looking for a gaming monitor then and don't care much about color accuracy then just go with a TN

I like pretty colors and I do work with Photoshop, CAD sometimes. Fuck mate, I just want to use it. Help!

People do praise this model...what do you think?

>dell s2240l
no dead pixels
>dell u2515h
one dead pixel, 1440p, right bottom side, so whatever

You are not going to avoid ghosting at that price IPS monitors no matter the brand, cheaper IPS also tend to have much worse backlight bleeding issues. If you are okay with those tradeoffs then go with a cheap IPS, but at that price point most TN panels offer fairly acceptable viewing experience

So let me get this straight.
TN
> fast as fuck
> no ghosting
> fast response, no delay
> "not so great colors'

cheap IPS
> slow
> ghosting
> shit colors
> bleed

So basically, TN >>>> cheap IPS?
What the fuck man...
This shit just gets more and more confusing.

>buhu why can't i find a perfect 4k PLS OLED display for 20 bucks
-op

Good thing I just answered this a few posts ago.
I want an "OK" display.
23.5-24.5" size.
That is ALL there is.

Vg248qe

If you have a stuck ON pixel (stuck red, green, blue dot) you can get it replaced with a SINGLE pixel like that, for dead pixels however they require 6 before a replacement.

TN is just as prone to backlight bleed. What he's talking about is a trait where dark colours lose contrast and brighten when viewed from an angle, making it appear that light bleeds through. However, at least the image stays the same, unlike on TN.

For the most part that's a fair assessment. The best TN panel still doesn't have as vibrant colour as a cheap IPS though, I think it's worth it just for that, but it's you're call. In my opinion the difference between response times is minor today. 10 years ago there was a noticeable difference.

That's the problem, my call, lol.
So IPS does not wash out during the years?

I still use a Dell U2005 from 2004 and IPS Thinkpad screen from 2006 and they look great, besides being a little warm from the CCFL backlight ageing.

Hmm, thanks. That pretty much answers my concerns. That's definitely a plus for IPS.

Ok I wil make up my mind in minutes and will post purchase proof, lol.

I had 1080p TN panels before I moved, but after the move I upgraded to dual 1440p IPS and couldn't be happier, the viewing angles are SOOO much better and since my normal workflow is to use two monitors with one slightly off center, having good viewing angles is a big plus for me.

>anime on both screens
>""""workflow"""""

kek

the colors look fucking amazing though.
Ok ok IPS it is guys, just grabbed something to eat.

I'm showing the difference in colors you retard, also the minimalist one is obviously a desktop background or at least a static image.

Fuuuck.
This costs the same as the Dell.

But Overwatch (yes, truly shit game) cannot run anything else except 16:9. (devs are tards.)

Ive never been a fan of the ultrawide meme, you usually get worse backlight bleed and 21:9 aspect ratio isn't supported for certain things.

I'm sure a few games look AMAZING on it, but not the games I play.

Yeah I would love to work on it since it's twice as wide, not buying it because of games.
I mean you can fit even three or four websites/windows there and still see content.

This is the problem with OW btw:
pcgamesn.com/overwatch/overwatch-219-support-stretched

amazon.com/dp/B00QS0AKVK/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B00VRKVGJG

here you go buddy boy

259$ is quite far from the 180$ Dell IPS/180$ LG 25" UltraWide.

I mean in the end of the day I will be looking at 3000-15000$ displays.
> buy quadultrahd400K its the future
> but buy amoled-ips-tn hybrid type
> make sure it has 400hz

Getting that "install gentoo" vibe. lol.
Just checking the price range currently, and I will flip a coin between the Dell/LG.
I mean I get it, some games will have black bars/stretched image, but so what.
In desktop I will be able to keep more shit on my screen.

Do you know what a subpixel is? Obviously not. A dark subpixel would be imperceptible to a human. You'd only see it if you were hugging the damn thing.

depends on what's on the screen. pic related, that's 3 simulated dead subpixels, the one against the white is fairly obvious for example

eizo > dell > shit > all other brands

wrong file

Sup Forums help me.
Can I stretch a 1920x1080 game/content to 21:9?

I can't find ANY information on this.
Saw a video about CS:GO running stretched, but most people just use black bars.

I am fine with stretched...
But is it even possible?

Related question: I have a GTX 970 and it's just enough for gaymen at 1080p 60Hz max settings. I'm getting a 1440p monitor soon. How much FPS should I expect to lose if I run a game at 1080p windowed on my 1440p monitor?

Google gives you a quick answer.
It's IIRC 50% more pixels at least, so it's quite a hit.

BUT, that only applies to GPU limited games.

Yes, It's around 50% more pixels if I ran a game at 1440p. I'm talking about running a game at 1080p windowed on a 1440p desktop resolution or whatever. My shit GPU won't be able to handle 60 FPS 1440p unless I turn down some graphical settings so I'd rather just run the game at 1080p windowed and keep settings at max. But how much FPS would I lose, if any?

If you run a game on 1080p resolution, nothing.
It will be just stretched, that's it.

But then you will gain nothing from the upgrade either, you will have the same quality as before, so not much point then either.

But don't worry, only a very few titles are GPU heavy, so I think you will be able to run quite a few titles on 1440p.
Also, most new engines like in BF1, have this "render scale" thing, that allows you to have native 1440p resolution, but render the game on lower resolution. It's a nice in-between option.

im on a 970 at 1440p
i get 60 on everything but i dont really play a lot of demanding gmaes

Is NEC completely past its glory days? Anyone own one or have an opinion on the current state of the brand

are current $600ish 4k monitors any good?
or should I stick to a 2560 x 1440?

also are asus monitors any good?

lol you're fuckin retarded...

their policy is better than most other manufacturers... and guess what else.... dell/apple gets first crack buying LCD panels from the panel manufacturers... they buy only the best for their high end monitors... everything that doesn't meet spec get offered up to all of these shit-tier brands at lower prices.

You get what you pay for... I've been running Dell Ultrasharp monitors for a long time and never have had a single issue. Warranty is a moot point when shit just works.

the spectra views are still god tier
a lot of their product palette is meh-tier, that's right. but I think that happens to all companies that actually want to make some actual profit instead of selling specialized equipment only, they have to give the plebs the shit they want

>they have to give the plebs the shit they want

but they seem to be out of touch with the normal market in the sense that NEC doesn't even try to competitively price their lower end IPS models to compete with lines like the Ultrasharp

For example,
A 16:10 IPS NEC which in my opinion has a lower quality panel is more expensive than it's Ultrasharp counterpart with close to the same specs

I also haven't seen NEC in any market but specialized or large contract type in my area. Perhaps they don't care about North America too much though.

Hope I can get to see a Spectra view in person one day

Monitors for PC market have been shit for several years now, a standstill.

And still those crappy monitors with shitty TN panels will cost over 500 bucks, just for adding some novelle features like G-Sync or Freesync.

Stupidity knows no bounds, PC users are morons.

Meanwhile smartphones next year will all use OLED panels.

it will stay that way until people realize that they spend twice as much on their 5" phone as on their 27" monitor

it's because of the shit trend where everything is moving towards mobile

desktop screens (the good ones) are going to get even more obscure and expensive