Unity themes

Everyone talks how one of the advantages of using Linux is 'muh customizations' and 'I can control every little setting'.

How do I go about making this desktop look less shit? Are there any themes / icons I can install to make it look better?

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/702542/change-color-of-ubuntu-mate-15-10
gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Color UI?content=168876
github.com/anmoljagetia/Flatabulous
archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key
archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Step 1: don't use Ubantoo

Seriously though. Is ubuntu beyond saving?

Dont listen to memers
Ubuntu(Unity) isnt as customizeable as other distros but you can still "save it"
1)Install numix theme

install macOS

STEP 1
REPLACE STANDARD UBUNTU WITH EITHER UBUNTU GNOME OR KDE NEON

STEP 2
ENJOY A BETTER THEMING EXPERIENCE FOR SCRUBS

To be fair, Ubuntu is fine but Unity isn't. It suffers from the phone/tablet interface cancer.

What are you using? KDE? Mate? Something else?

Well, Unity might be better than Gnome, but that does not automatically make it good.

OK I'll let you in on a dirty little secret, OP. The ones that nobody discusses, for real.

IF you install a (GNU/)Linux OS, the assumption is that you 'do' computing, rather than doing 'normie' stuff like checking your email. In Linux-land you don't 'check your email', you might use the command line to discover and download email, because you don't actually have anyone to email and instead prefer to shriek and reeeee at people who use the command-line in the wrong way, that's not the way you would use the command-line.

So, in conclusion, you might be able to 'control every little setting' and make 'muh customizations', as long as you like the same settings and customizations as every single other sweaty greybeard out there. And you have the same knowledge to discover and apply the same customizations as the other greybeards.

>ubuntu tweaks
>themes from noobslab
>numix
>and some css and a font (optional)

than you're done

I like XFCE but MATE or KDE are fine too.

I'm using gnome 2bh

this looks like poop

Colorblind?

Let's see yours

Oh boy, a 'post your desktop' thread! Time to open a terminal window, find some anime, use an incognito window to throw up some HILARIOUS tabs, and tweak window transparencies before dusting off the ol' screenfetch

You want to see his poop? You're fucking disgusting.

I use gnome
I dont do much ricing apart from using a dark version of the default theme and some usability extensions

*her

Sorry. My mistake.

Same, dont have to do much else and it looks appealing.

two browsers, anime, pale, shit colors icons everywhere, etc

bad/10

>Windows

t. poop desktop

Install numix and get on with your life.

no, but I like contrast and continuity. Actually I am going to modify the css soon, to make the black that blueish gray, as the tab bar.

don't forget 2) change the wallpaper
I don't think people using Ubuntu care about optimization.
Most of them are coming from Windows so switching between one of 4 compatible themes should be enough for them.
Also once you actually stop messing around with a system and start actually using it you care less about the customization unless something is really annoying you.
I for example just change wm theme to Numix gtk theme because i think most gtk3 apps such as libreoffice-gtk3 look consistent with it, but i don't care about changing the icon theme, or doing any major modifications to the gui.

I hate these threads.
Bunch of tech savy showing off their desktops and I just want to change the green colors of the Ubuntu MATE to blue or black but too n00b.

my windows looks better than yours anyways

both of these look like poop

good themes are numix for icons and arc red dark for colour, thats what I'm using anyways.

alright son

i know this isn't /f(g)lt/ but i have good mood today so:
askubuntu.com/questions/702542/change-color-of-ubuntu-mate-15-10
also use different icon, gtk themes. for example:
gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Color UI?content=168876
all gtk2 and gtk3 themes compatible with xfce and/or mate should work without problems.

maybe you'll be good at ricing someday lad

n-nani?! kindness on Sup Forums? earlier someone called me brain dead heh
thank you, my brotha. huge help.

>willingfully using a vulnerable OS

>willingfully
what did she mean by this

>KDE Neon
>Better Theming Experience

>good at ricing
anime neckberdian desktop
lel

Two options:

1. Install a different desktop environment on Ubuntu (google what a desktop environment is). If you're going that route, try to find one that's more on the level of customization that you're wanting

2. Only customize the parts of Ubuntu's default DE that are customizable (hint: not a lot)

See pic related.

If you don't like it or don't feel like doing work, then wipe Ubuntu right away and and install Xubuntu. It comes with Xfce and looks a lot better by default. Plus it is better overall.

I would switch but I do not feel like transferring over all my files (again) and setting everything up.

>reinstall os to change de
lol ubuntu babbies

>manjaro

I have i3 installed as well and use it regularly. I was giving the OP an easier route.

how the h*ck is a full os reinstall easier than apt-shit install xfce

>h*ck
kys yourself

i think this looks good

I love your desktop. Is that how xfce looks now? this looks more like what gnome used to look like in 2009 ish, or am I wrong? I want to make my OS look like this again, how should I go about it?

>Is that how xfce looks now?

No, this is Unity.

>I want to make my OS look like this again, how should I go about it?

Like mine in the picture? Install this theme: github.com/anmoljagetia/Flatabulous

sudo apt-get install unity-tweak-tool

wget -q -O - archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu xenial-getdeb apps" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list'
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/themes
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install flatabulous-theme

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/icons
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ultra-flat-icons

Then open Ubuntu Tweak and select the theme and icons.

To move the taskbar to the bottom:

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Launcher launcher-position Bottom

1)Install Unity Tweak Tool
2)Go to gnome-look, get Paper and install the Ultra Flat theme (or use the Paper/Arc theme if you want your desktop to look like everyone's elses)
3)Install Albert
4)Install Tilda for dropdown terminal
5)Install rocketmenu applet and other useful indicators
5)Realize that you can do all this shit on GNOME 3 in less time and have a much better desktop environment that's actually worth the overhead that Unity rivals
6)Install Ubuntu GNOME

Seriously, if it weren't for Unity's global menu which I do miss in GNOME (especially with the huge fucking ass headerbars and shitty implementation of a "global menu") Unity is worthless.

Iris theme and paper icon pack.