How viable is Hackintosh nowadays? Do you still have to buy really niched hardware?

How viable is Hackintosh nowadays? Do you still have to buy really niched hardware?

I've been using a Macbook Pro and Windows 10 on my desktop for the last few years and I'm starting to realize that there really isn't much of a point in using Windows over MacOS for every daybuse other than video games and some stray exe files you can run in a VM, so I'm going to pick up a Thinkpad and run Linux on it and might build a Hackintosh and dual boot Sierra and Windows 10 on it.

Are modern GPUs supported on Hackintosh? Can I use the legit copy of Sierra I have on my Macbook or does it need to run some special version of MacOS?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uhG-vLZrb-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Most modern GPUs are supported. The rest of the hardware, as long as you use an Intel processor, doesn't usually have much trouble either unless you use for instance a PCI-E sound card or something like that.

However it's a RAM hog and power management is a bit of a bitch. I've used it for a while but then I decided to get through the issues I had with linux at some point, most of which have been either fixed or have a fix that I just didn't consider.

Once you remove the "premium" hardware from a mac, all you're left with is MacOS which is a pretty ugly shell laid on top of a fucked up BSD install.

There's no reason to do it now that the Linux desktop has finally matured.

Refer to tonymacx86.
You're best off buying specific hardware that's well supported and need to mess around with third party bootloaders and kext files.
You can (or rather have to) download macOS from the App Store using an Apple computer and burn it to external media using the hackintosh utility.

Once you've set everything up correctly, things should work well and you'll be able to update the software normally. Things like FaceTime and iMessage don't usually work on Hackintosh.

1. its a beautiful and nice shell
2. linux is not mature and will never be
3. bsd is ok

>There's no reason to do it now that the Linux desktop has finally matured.
Yes there is. Commercial software and a well functioning bug-free desktop environment that doesn't look like shit.

>How viable is Hackintosh nowadays?
It's a pretty fucking fluid, stable and nice looking OS.

Best OS on the marked IMO.

If you have a decent computer with compatible parts its okay if you're looking for something to run macOS on and dont wanna buy a shitty mac. Since you already have a Macbook it should be decently smooth sailing for you as long as you have compatible hardware

>well-functioning
>bug-free

Oh Lord, you drank the koolaid hard son

it's a time sink and once you manage to make everything work and use it for a while you realize that in the end windows works smoother

Linux is not mature, and I have no reason to run it as my main OS when it doesn't have native support for things I run daily like Adobe programs and DAWs.

Legit version with some mods. Works nice on my T420. With desktops, i would advise you to follow a guide on compatible hardware though.

tonymacx86 has the answers to your questions
you can have a Titan X or a 980 Ti with i7-6000 series

>hackintosh
>well functioning

Are you stupid? Apple has done all the can to fuck up hackintosh.

I have a GPU-Passthrugh VM running OSX flawlessly.

I'd say it's much better than directly installing it on your system. Regarding GPUs, I currently have a RX 480 which doesn't get acceleration because of the lack of drivers.

But NVIDIA should definitely work, as they deploy their own drivers.

>its a beautiful and nice shell

Lol is it 2008?

youtube.com/watch?v=uhG-vLZrb-g

T420 here with ElCrapistan here.

Use it mostly as my dev machine for iOS apps and build machine for my Xamarin projects.

Super stable, full blown tutorial on tonymac forums for the T420 with everything needed, including kext for 1600x900 resolution.

SSD and 8GB RAM in the machine as well.

Didn't try to update it to the last Mac OS version, everything is so smooth, I cba to risk it all...

did you have the issue where it wouldnt install with the 2nd ram stick in?

I had it running for a while, but then I realized that except the looks, Xubuntu was handling some shit perhaps a little bit better.

Like virtualization.

See
His buyers guide doesn't have the newest AMD or Nvidia cards, I plan on picking up a RX480 or 1060 if I build a new PC.

viable, but pointless imo. It's not going to run as trouble free as on a Mac, so why bother going Hackingtosh instead of simply using Windows. It just completely defeats the purpose to use OSX if it's going to have issues.

Why would you want a botnet on your computer? GNU/Linux is the only alternative to OSX.

I like having a Unix based system that has better than the non-existant software support on Linux and OSX handles things like virtual desktops way better than Windows. Doing things like music production is also nicer on OSX since it supports Coreaudio drivers and doesn't require as much fucking around on Windows. The only reason to use Windows over OSX at this point is for vidya and certain software that only runs on Windows.

But I don't really have any major reasons to use OSX over Windows, it's mainly just for the aestethics and that I'm starting to get a bit weary of how Microsoft are starting to be more hands on with the updates in Windows 10 and start to introduce more and more shit that isn't needed or is straight up malicious. Microsofts way of handling updates in general is shit compared to OSX and Linux.

Just use a fucking OZMOSIS bios. No fucking around with bootloaders or other crap