App Images

What do you think about GNU/Linux Appimages?

>The key idea of the AppImage format is one app = one file
>Every AppImage contains an app and all the files the app needs to run
>In other words, each AppImage has no dependencies other than what is included in the targeted base operating system
>can FINALLY go to download page on a website and download latest version of the software from the developer and it runs flawlessly without needing a dependency for this and that
>no more on download section for Linux it just provides a useless source code with millions of dependencies

Other urls found in this thread:

alternativeto.net/software/alternativeto/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So the app has to modify itself while running to save changes or history?

What about snaps?
What about flatpak?

Pros:
1. Can run on jails, somewhat secure (debatable)
2. No dependency hell
3. Development for Linux made easy!

Cons:
1. NO AUTOMATIC UPDATES with package managers
2. Since it's not from a distro repo (which is more secure), chances are, that it has the potential of system vulnerability

May be good for non-free developers

cancer

>we want the Windows audience

Oh, and
3. 3rd party No auditing
4. Might not work well with init systems

In terms of convenience, plebs like me consider it to be top-tier-ideal. In terms of security/updates/responsible use, it's garbage.
I want more of them.

Horrible.

If you include the dependencies in every package, that would be a fucking huge file. To top it off, you'd have redundant libraries, with some being more up to date than others because whoever packaged the application still hasn't upgraded to the newest version of ssl or whatever.

It's garbage and should never be implemented.

watch the video

>download gnome3 appimage
>the whole gtk toolkit packaged in
>doesn't work because I don't use systemd

Appimages are meant for static portable use, meaning it's not an installer or package, meaning packaging games, meaning it'll be easier to distribute the software for static portable use, I'm waiting for something like this but a installer wizard for installing packages directly from the developer, with this and what I described it'll make installing software just as easy as windows or mac installation which is good

If you can make that work with the licenses of each and everyone of the libraries your app links to, then that's great. If not, then it's a legal quicksand. Plus, I hate that there's no standard way to install an appimage so that it becomes permamently part of your system and adds shortcuts to your DE.

The video doesn't fucking fix that.

They say that they assume that binaries already on 'most' desktops don't get bundled. What does that mean? That they're going to make me clog my machine up with KDE to use AppImages, or have every KDE based program bundle 150 megs of dependencies?

It also doesn't handle updating patches, meaning you could be running exploitable services. Get this shit out of here.

>May be good for non-free developers
I would say the opposite. If you build your software on non-free libraries, it's likely there's a couple of them you're not allowed to package with your app.

You haven't finished the video but let's see what you have to say.

>They say that they assume that binaries already on 'most' desktops don't get bundled. What does that mean?
It means if there's a KDE application that requires qt5 and you already have it installed, it probably won't install the library. However, If you are downloading a big KDE software you probably won't be bothered with it in the first place.

>It also doesn't handle updating patches, meaning you could be running exploitable services.
That's what I listed here . They are making an integrated sandbox for it. Apparently you can run these on firejail anyways

>not using shared libraries

>dependency HELL
not all of us are fucking hackers and use the terminal for everything or some shit, Windows and Mac have an easy way to do this and for installing software in an elegant and easy way to do yet Linux doesn't I feel like that is ONE of the reasons why it's unattractive to most computer users

>it'll make installing software just as easy as windows or mac installation which is good
Why? Lot's of distros already have a software installer. How much more mind numbing can software installation be?

then gtfo to your fucking win10 NSA edition or mactoddler OS and stop polluting our free software.
fucking normies.

see this is why Linux has such a fucking low ass marketshare, I have a theory that almost all Linux users are fucking SCARED to death that their OS might get popular and get easy to use, so you fucking blundering idiots make mind numbingly hard things to use and make every user require a terminal for almost everything, SystemD is one of those, SystemD doesn't just work, it breaks like a bitch, Pulseaudio doesn't just work, it is shit, I'm starting to think I should make a company and make an Easy to use distro that is NORMIE FRIENDLY OH NO !!!!! I see a utopian computer OS that is easy to use, free as in freedom, is the standard, just fucking works and is sold but source code is available. Linux users biggest fucking fear is the commercialization and knowing that their OS which is good will get TOO EASY EW NORMIES. I will end you fools

Install Gentoo.

yup confirmed bait
I walked right into that

>can FINALLY go to download page on a website and download latest version of the software from the developer and it runs flawlessly without needing a dependency for this and that

Did no one ever tell you about package managers or is Slackware the only distro you've ever used?

no it's just I dislike the hell out of package managers, most of the time shit is outdated as hell and apt downloads random unnecesary bloated packages even with --no-install-recommends and to that I have to use a terminal just to install software is kinda obscure and makes me look like an autist when i'm in front of friends

What's hard for "normies" is finding software that is comparable to what they are used to. Using something like Ubuntu Software Center, dosen't get any easier, desu. So, to sum it up, I disagree.

It has a low marketshare - on desktop/laptop systems. It rules on literally everything else.
Coming back to the popularity - it's not what us linux users are scared about. What worries us the most is to be forced to give up a tiny bit of freedom in change of a tiny bit of """""user-friendly""""" features. Now it's systemD being monolythic and wayland not being network transparent, tomorrow it's big fucking statically compiled bundles (we will call them... """""apps""""" [cit.]) that send all the beautiful dynamic ecosystem that's been created exactly to avoid this kind of stuff (remember 741234 microsoft visual C++ versions installed in win7?), and who knows what other crap.
So, if you want easy stuff, then please, for the love of all that's sacred, take your fucking retardedness towards other operating systems and go be normies elsewhere.
Especially you, Red® Hat™ Marketers.

fucking this.

Side thought: there are really great features being developed at NixOS and GUIX, which are really, really more interesting, easy to use and, above all - useful and convenient. Why aren't you shilling those ones, instead of this statically compiled crap?

so my main way of installing software in Linux (I do it because latest stable is always nice and apt doesn't provide that from Ubuntu servers) is compiling it and installing, I have been using Linux for years too and this is my only complaint

then redirect them to alternativeto.net

I hope that App Images gets adopted as a standard.

Deb files are trash and Software Repositories are never updated enough.

If you want to be on the bleeding edge of a certain software and not have it be a huge fucking hassle, App Images are the only way to do it.

>apt downloads random unnecesary bloated packages
>apt
You just blew it son. The Debianfags are going to hit you with a code of conduct.

>Pacman
>breaks shit
>Arch
>not literally worse than Windows
no but I do however like the idea of a package manager getting the latest version of a package is nice and I like that from pacman
yum is
>autism.tar.gz

Is this the same thing that OSX does?

Sadly, I know zero linux users in real life. Phone drones have taken over in the outside world.

ooooh, poor timmy had to use the bad scary black window with lots of green text that made him look like a computer literate individual in front of his friends who will now proceed to tease him - because that's what real friends do. Boo fucking hoo.
Buy a mac and get

it doesn't include an installation wizard so no but think of Apple's static .app , THAT is what is exactly like mac and Windows static builds

Or alternativeto.net/software/alternativeto/

> (You)
>>Pacman
>>breaks shit
Never tried it. I use Crux. I'm not one to distro hop.

I have nothing wrong with the terminal but I just think something so fucking common like installing software shouldn't require the damn terminal, that's just dumb, any normal person would agree with me, I myself think that only developers should have to use the terminal and normalfags and anybody else who is using their computer should have it easy to use and everything works with a GUI

The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

Switch to Arch if you want the latest software.

I know it doesn't but have fun with a shitty development platform and closed source shitware by Apple

No
that OS is autism
Manjaro sounds good to me though

pic related
you can go to the local university's forum/facebook group/whatever they use to comunicate, search for linux-related conventions near you, or something. You have this marvelous human invention called "search engine" - it could probably help you :^)
everything that comes from debian has a GUI tool for it (Synaptic package manager, or something, AFAIK). Don't really use that stuff, but you cant follow the advice above for further information (fukken google it).

Actually, if you want to avoid the autism, switch to Antergos instead. Manjaro uses it's own repos and doesn't have the latest like Arch usually does.

Wow, I can't wait to have Linux programs that run JUST like Windows! So easy, and I'm really looking forward to having a dozen copies of slightly different runtimes for C++, just like in Windows! Ugh, having to check to see if a system has the dependencies I need is sooo '90s, why not just prepackage it every time? Bloat? What's that? I can't wait for each program to need its own updating code too, just like Windows!

Between Snap, Flatpak, AppImage, Linux is TRULY blazing the path into the future! Just like Windows!

>Snap, Flatpak, AppImage,
Gotta love that fragmentation Linux is so famous for.

shitnux sucks
cope

What video is being talked about? Link to this shit?

What is the point? Any package manager can already handle that, just bundle all your libraries together with it. Hell if you want a "self-contained" package just tar it up and tell the user to install it in /opt.

If you try these options though, you'll find they aren't very popular because most GNU/Linux users prefer to use shared dependencies. Code sharing is a good thing, no matter how much proprietary developers try and say it's not. They are too reckless about introducing too many libraries into their project and not maintaining their applications properly.

I would say installing software on a distro with a package manager (pretty much any distro ever) is way easier than installing software by downloading an executable file that downloads more files to install your software.

On ubuntu that would be sudo apt install

On windows you have to open your web browser of choice, go to some site, download a file, etc. Windows' method is unsafe, tedious, and outright outdated.

Sounds like docker.

AppImages are okay for trying new software quickly, but not a long-term solution.

Oh look it's 25 years later and it is STILL trying to be Windows.

advantage over snaps - literally just works
disadvantage over snaps - language support, static version,"just run this exe goy", basically the rest.
Not saying the idea is not cool, its just 10 years late, and i like snaps better.

>>The key idea of the AppImage format is one app = one file
It's shit. This “idea” has been had and promoted by like 10 people already. It will never work, because that “app” design is simply pure horseshit. enjoy no dependency updates, no security patches, no system integration, etc.

If you want isolation between programs, use NixOS and don't try and push this “flat package” horseshit.

literally re"""invented""" self-contained flash files