Would you pay 50-100 dollars for a web browser?

Browsing Sup Forums I see a lot of people worried about botnet, being spied on, having their data sold etc

what if a company offered a good browser (not shitty like Brave) that didn't do any of the bad things? Would you pay money for it?

Also, how do supposedly honest browsers like Firefox or Opera make money if they aren't doing the same nasty shit Chrome does?

Other urls found in this thread:

chinamoneynetwork.com/2016/08/17/qihoo-360-beijing-kunlun-agree-to-revised-terms-for-opera-acquisition
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

By paid you mean it will be closed source. How will I audit it for security flaws? What's stopping you hiding your own botnet since we can't see the source code. I would rather contribute sheqels to an open source project. However Mozilla seems to make dumb decisions.

There are paid open source programs. They use the honor system.

I have reason to suspect it doesn't work very well.

Well we DID pay for Netscape back in the day.........

No. Paying is an obsolete business model.

>Browsing Sup Forums I see a lot of people worried about
>Sup Forums

>what if a company offered a good browser (not shitty like Brave) that didn't do any of the bad things?
How would the company prove it didn't do any of the bad things unless people could see the source for themselves? Do you see the conundrum? No one is going to pay for a browser if the source is available. No one is going to trust a company isn't doing "bad things" if the source is unavailable.

Of course by "no one" I mean folks on Sup Forums. Casual users are a completely different animal.

>Opera
# "Qihoo, Kunlun Tech, and Golden Brick will now acquire
Opera’s mobile and desktop browser for US$575 million."
chinamoneynetwork.com/2016/08/17/qihoo-360-beijing-kunlun-agree-to-revised-terms-for-opera-acquisition
>supposedly honest
..not any more.

>Chinese company backed by Chinese government is buying Opera
wew

I would pay as long as I can do so with bitcoin over tor or zcash

I would just pirate it.

>I mean folks
L0Lno, you mean "people", Tex.

This actually happened once. Pic doesn't show clearly but this was once a boxed product

Paying a one time lump sum for an open source piece of software just not a reasonable way to make money.

You could release it for free then set monetary donation goals before next editions come out.
You can take open donations

I don't really know business models that work. If someone found a good one then that it would be the biggest impact of developing a world of open source products, essentially the same thing that happened when "open source" was presented instead of Stallman's "free software"

I'll just take the source, compile it then release it for free ;^)

Open source does not mean free use license...

Go back to Sup Forums please.

Fuck off Microshit

Of course not, you complete and utter fucktard.

>business is obsolete for conducting business

It's past your bed time, kiddo.

Call your supervisor rajesh

Hm, if only there was some sort of open source browser which could be examined to see if it's actually doing anything suspicious.
If only we could check which data gets transmitted through our network with some sort of packet sniffer.

I'd bet corporations would pay money for a decent secure browser.

This desu
They're supposedly making money from donations and stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised though to find out that they do track you somehow (e.g. sync), that's why forks are better