How would I go about using only RAM as storage without a HDD assuming I load everything onto it at boot up then keep it...

How would I go about using only RAM as storage without a HDD assuming I load everything onto it at boot up then keep it powered on for months until I repeat this sequence?

You don't.

Cancer thread is cancerous

Get a job and buy an SSD.

Stupid idiot

Buy an SSD

i accidentally had this 12 years ago with one of my machines. redhat 9, used it as a file server, hdd stopped responding but i could still use the open programs for 6 more months until i had to switch it off.

most live linux usb sticks can already do that. just boot with the right flag and it loads everything to the ram and the stick can be removed. from within that system make another ram disk for your files and you are good to go.

if you know what you want (and want to automate your files to be populated to the ram as well) then make/customize your own liveusb distro. this all could also be done from an internal hdd that is unmounted/spun down after boot

configure a persistent RAMDISK
look it up

>ram
>persistent
Copying files from a HDD/SSD on every boot doesn't count

Connect a Lion battery parallel with your RAM and CPU

It uses a capacitor to write changes to flash on sudden powerloss.

I wouldn't do this without using ecc memory...

>using only RAM as storage without a HDD

why?

also, this

I suppose you could just livedisc with a very small USB device and your prefered distro and whatever programs you would want to be able to run. At one point they were making boards with a linux disto loaded on the board though I don't know if anyone still does that. But really... why? What you're asking is beyond retarded. Storage solutions aren't expensive. The amount and kinds of RAM you would need to make your build any kind of viable are going to be a hell of a lot more expensive.

You would have to pxe boot it. Have fun flashing iPXE to your NIC ROM, user and good luck!

Booting from pxe is hell but normally there's no need to flash anything.

Not hell.

I assume OP doesn't want to boot the ipxe kernel and script from fixes media. So flashing ipxe is still meta-fixed but maybe what they're looking for. Then boot up, Ctrl+b for shell, config and boot!

They used to make pci adapters for this exact purpose.

That's RAM-based mass storage though. Does it still count as RAM considering OP's question?

On a similar note, iptables routing still functioned with the machine halted (runlevel 0). So you could have a completely unhackable router.

Can't blame OP, HDDs are cancer.

unless you're doing this for security reasons, this is incredibly stupid

use a Live USB, live cd/dvd

puppy linux and qubes in particular are both able to handle this well