OSes'

Moving my daily desktop back off Windows 10. I've used a few flavours of Debian but I am most comfortable with Arch. I saw some shilling of pic related recently, is it any good? Doesn't seem to be much info on the site, it doesn't even mention what package manager it uses, I'm assuming it's Debian based?

Recommendations for a comfy daily desktop.

Other urls found in this thread:

dev.solus-project.com/tag/package_requests/
dev.solus-project.com/tag/third_party_repository/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

install macOS

Install VM's of each, run each for a set amount of time. Become educated about the world around you.

I've got half a dozen VMs running at the moment, and I've used several OSes as primary in the past. I am downloading the gentoo and solus images at the moment but I have crappy internet and thought I'd get some opinions here while I wait.

I use a mac all day at work. The keyboard layouts piss me off.

>debian based
Its not based on anything.
Its made "from scratch".

Ive been using solus as my only os for a couple of months and its really snappy and responsive. I ditched busgie because i prefer gnome to any other de and this setup is fantastic honestly

Also it uses pisi, but not for long. They will make a switch when they start rewriting budgie in c i think.

Ah I see. How does the package management compare to pacman and apt?

>daily desktop
k y s

No ddt senpai. I looked at the catalogue.

>falling for shilling
enjoy your no packages.

Use it dude. It's a new distro from scratch. 500 packages after install and blazingly fast with a good software center which makes third party applications like slack or plex very easy. I moved away from arch for it.(which I loved)

Also to add there are a lot of changes coming and the dude who makes it reacts to support questions really fast. I know I sound like I'm a contributer/shill but it's just that good.

Pretty Comfy

It's shit

Cue Kevin

It's just another meme OS. Don't go for it.

Hey Kevin, stop your shilling. Your mom said that it's past your bedtime.

Nah a meme is would be apricity os or a Ubuntu derivative

FreeBSD is comfy.

Can attest, it really is

Shilling aside, here's my honest take of it.

This is a pretty snappy distro, and you've gotta appreciate the work they put into making it completely from scratch rather than basing it off debian or arch like everyone else keeps doing.

However, the lack of packages is pretty extreme. You'll have standards like GIMP, but most things that you're used to will have to be installed some other way. However, it's great if you just want a fast web browse/shitpost machine.

I imagine the selection of packages will get better as the distro matures.

>I use a mac all day at work.

Where do you work, the toilet store?

It's good, but if you're completely new to Linux you should use something more popular so you can troubleshoot problems easier. Use anything based on debian or Ubuntu.

Memes aside, Manjaro is a pretty great distro built on Arch and it's surprisingly comfy. Kinda the Ubuntu of Arch distros.

What is the point of Solus? Just another elementaryOS?

Mint

It really isn't. It's fast af and "built from scratch"
not ubuntu+memede. Also they are highly active and support is great.
dev.solus-project.com/tag/package_requests/

dev.solus-project.com/tag/third_party_repository/

seems they are working on it.I'll give it a year and they are a contender to the big distros.
The thing that could make it easy for normies to use is how they handle non-native problematic programs like spotify,skype and steam. It's a one click install. But I agree beginners should still stick with mint.

Mac OS 9 all the way

Just continue to use arch, the AUR is just simply too useful.

Zorin OS

what programm do you use to run VMs?

>not debian/arch based
I like having packages