My girlfriend is taking a Java course in uni and she's hopelessly terrible at it. I really don't get it...

My girlfriend is taking a Java course in uni and she's hopelessly terrible at it. I really don't get it, she's a smart girl and gets good grades, but in this one intro CS class it's like her brain just fucking turns off. I have tutored her for many hours with no real absorption.
Do you have any resources for Java courses/exercises to learn shit, something more in depth than codecademy? I'm at the end of my rope here

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lGHrhtuxnOc
youtube.com/watch?v=CVjMPbXRrUc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This alway happens, very intelligent people failing in computer science because they never tried it before. There's so many resources that it won't be hard for her to get the general idea. Look up Java tutorials on YouTube, there's countless videos that can help.

fill her up with cum, it's proven to increase programming skills by numerous faggots on this board.

some people just aren't wired for it. programming classes have a 93% dropout rate

if she doesn't get it, she doesn't get it. give up.

Get a new girlfriend.

Tell her to wear a skirt.

she just doesn't give a fuck

And striped thigh high socks.

It's a mindset issue. Think about learning your first programming language vs if you tried to pick one up today. You're arguably learning a similar amount of information, but you already know how to think about and break down problems which is half of it.

This. If you need any help call me up senpai
You can always turn it into some kind of teacher student role play. Dress her up as a school girl or whatever.
And be very stern with her. It should involve some spanking and light BDSM. Get creative it's not rocket science

>girlfriend
>my
>believing op's "girlfriend" exists

>fat losers typing this shit
you are beyond help

I may still be a loser but I'm not fat anymore
And typing this shit is more entertaining than actually acting it out because I couldn't take myself seriously when role playing.
Once called my girlfriend a 'little cock sucker' and we both had to laugh so hard that we almost couldn't go on

this always gets me. the code on the left is an inverse square root used in quake arena. FUCK THE LIBERAL/KEKS/NUMALE/HIPSTER CODING CULTURE.

>TRIGGERED

Takes more than just memorisation.

>tfw only computer science students with a solid background in maths are able to understand how it works
feels good mang

desu I have no idea why CS courses use Java. It's a fucking awful language to learn how to program in. I failed my CS course the first time around too because I just didn't fucking get Java. I ended up picking up a copy of How to Design Programs and using Lisp and everything clicked and became easy as hell.

kek, the image was made here on Sup Forums. Karlie Kloss never posted anything like that.

Really? I swear I saw this on Twitter...

I just went out of my way to double-check. She doesn't have a lot of tweets so you can just scroll down to February 11th and see the tweet that was actually made at that time. It's just two pictures from a photoshoot for an AIDS foundation on the previous night.

>My girlfriend is taking a Java course in uni and she's hopelessly terrible at it.
She got memed for doing le easy coding for nurd gerls and so did you for dating an SJW.

because java is a language people actually use

kek'd

The only reason people use it is for legacy shit
fuck java

Sure, but that doesn't make it a terrible language to learn how to program in. It's easy to pick up a second language after you already know how to program.

women cannot do abstract thinking

Oh right, guess my memory is just shit then

Programming entails tons of abstract concepts like OOP. Personality types that usually do well with it are INTP/Js, since their brains are wired mainly for introverted thinking and problem solving.

>try to play Ibb & Obb with my gf
>she contributes absolutely zero to any solution
>only does what I tell her and otherwise has no idea how to solve anything
wish I was gay

>fuck java

There's no course, you're getting cucked.

I'm quite happy with my 6 figure JS/Ruby jobs thanks

Make sure she's being taught procedural programming before you even mention OOP.
I imagine, being java, she's slapped with a veiny piece, of unnecessary OOP from the get go.
I don't know much java, but I do C#, if it's like I think than you're almost forced to use encapsulation before you even know what an if statement is.
It's useful but I'll be damned if OOP doesn't make shit unnecessarily complex for beginners.
Just teach her some Python. It's simple as shit and it makes procedural programming easy.

The truth is that getting into programming from a cold start is a huge pain in the ass because of how long it takes to go from knowing nothing -> producing something interesting. Those of us who got past that point did so because of our tenacity, stubborness, and/or strong desire to be able to write software. If a person lacks any of these things they're going to have a hard time.

My advice would be to start with something simpler and less boilerplate-y like Python or Ruby. Start slow and make sure she understands the fundamentals. If she manages that, everything else will click into place fairly easily.

>girlfriend
>my

Homosexuality is the ultimate redpill

>believing op's "girlfriend" exists

It doesn't really matter either way. I've lost nothing by typing out a response and the advice applies to anybody reading it who is having trouble learning to program, not just OP or his hypothetical girlfriend.

When I started with C I was hopeless because I didn't have a clue where to start. I knew functions, but not how files were usually handled etc. It took me a while to catch on with OOP too.

While solving things logically is easy, the few weeks when you haven't got much of a clue what the language can do are the hardest.

>this thread's continued existence

language != libraries

I'll tell you what she's doing in uni buddy

Let me grab my phone and show you

> programming classes have a 93% dropout rate
where the fuck do you get that number from ? Sup Forums is a place where cs dropouts gather, so you can't base your statistics on it.

>"she"
>implying

Not the guy you're replying to, but I work fulltime as a software engineer and all of my engineer coworkers talk about seeing similar burnout rates when they were taking CS. Only a small few who start out make it through, and I'd expect burnout rates among self-taught individuals to be similar.

at my university the intro to programming class is worth 8 ects and we have a dropout / fail rate of ~50-60% where most of those who fail are people who don't put any effort into and/or hand in plagiates for their assignment (some of them are so fucking stupid that they don't even look into the assignment and hand in something completely different)

ok forget the numbers in just checked again, 70% failed last semester and ~60% the semester before that

There's absolutely a chunk of students who just aren't suited for CS for one reason or another, but I think there's also huge problems with how it's taught. Nobody has really figured out a good way of teaching CS or practical software engineering from a cold start, leading perfectly capable and intelligent people to get discouraged and quit before they even really get started.

Hey! This is how I learned Java

Java is verbose as fuck and looks daunting to the uninitiated
Have her learn the basics with Python or something else easier to pick up, then move on to Java

>tfw started out with C++
>mfw transitioning to Java and using its compiler
I think Java is fine, although it involves a lot of 'magic'.

She laughed cause she knew it was your duty to be the "little cock sucker". Role reversal doesn't always work bud.

>but I think there's also huge problems with how it's taught
it's a university, not a elementary school, you go there to learn, and are expected to figure out stuff for yourself. and people who go to a university to study should be mature enough to learn for themself.

>Nobody has really figured out a good way of teaching CS or practical software engineering from a cold start
because it isn't possible at universities, there's just too much stuff involved, thats why they teach you small chunks step by step for the first 2 semesters.
the first 2 semesters (aka the intro classes) are just to bring everyone to a level where they can figure out stuff themself and learn thechniques on how to solve different tasks and apply what they've learned to other subjects

I guess what I'm getting at is with most CS courses, if you're coming in cold you have no idea how far you need to go before things start to "click" and you need this blind faith that at some point, it'll all start to make sense and you'll start being able to use it to some effect.

Few other courses are like this. Most others will give you an idea of whether or not they're your "thing" pretty quickly, and so people hold this expectation for CS as well when the truth is you need to get waist-deep with it before you have a good idea of what it's all about. So then people feel like they hit a brick wall within the first semester or two and drop out, mistaking the difficulty they face as them not being suited for CS.

Just tell her straight that she's a dumb fuckhole who's only good being a cumdumpster bimbo.

OH MY GOD IT'S TRUE

There are still people who learn Java in this day and age!

I thought this was museum stuff you know...

>if(a < b && b > a)
raged/10

Reversed the inequality signs but still applies

Java is a shit language.
learn c you damn children

OP here. It's an intro course and they're teaching shit like HashMaps and heavy OOP shit from the very beginning. I greatly disagree with the methods of teaching.
However she still has trouble understanding that classes create objects which are also types and basic stuff like that and I don't know how to say it any clearer.

>dismissive toward Java
still unemployed i see

Java is abstraction overload and can run on a toaster

C is fun and all, but having to doot around with the memory all the time gets tedious

Yeah that's no way to introduce someone to programming. It should start high level and then work down into lower level stuff over time.

If she can't pass an entry level java course she's probably retarded. I'm taking one and it's been a complete cake walk.

There are people who put up mental blocks to programming. Speaking from experience, if she's actually really smart, she's likely worried about too much detail and it ends up making it difficult to work through even simple problems with all the mental background noise.

It is rage inducing but I hope you know it's a faked tweet.

Here's a very good youtube channel for learning Java. I would suggest your girl start with this intro

youtube.com/watch?v=lGHrhtuxnOc

That accent makes me rather deafen myself than continue

Then boy will you hate this

youtube.com/watch?v=CVjMPbXRrUc

Post feet

This is also likely due to the fact that colleges still teach it. Most of my peers at uni say they are primarily java programmers because that's what was required in 1301.

Python would be more useful to people who aren't going to be full time enterprise devs.

She is literally retarded, my main man.

I mean if pajeet can into java and she can't I feel sorry for her.

On the other hand show her C/C++
I took Java course myself in the first semester in 1st year of CS meme degree, I could tell what is what, then took C++ course and ever since my programming skills went tenfold higher.

I see through your ruse OP.
>Guise I have a girlfriend
>If you help me with (((her))) homework maybe I'll get her to show tits :DDDDD
Nice try

Java isn't a horrible language. it just doesn't excel at anything, but it doesnt utterly fail at anything.

Speed: Java is Slower than C and C++ but Faster than any Scripting Language
Verbosity: Java is more verbose than most languages but far less verbose than something like Assembly
Flexibility: Java is multi-platform but doesn't let you get close to the hardware to code drivers, once again a strange blend of both worlds

>Java is Slower than C and C++
memelelelele
Agreed with the other points.

which is why I'm interviewing at a place that runs their entire backend on Python :^)

Face it kiddo, you've fallen for the Sup Forums meme. Python jobs outnumber C/C++/Haskell jobs by a huge margin

Java is consistently slower than C while consuming several times the memory for the same task

Every benchmark that isn't blatantly biased shows this, and all real world experience will lead to the same conclusion.

What's the best way to learn basics of C++ in like a month?

Khan academy

Get help