/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/SwRysprE
amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2SJXZW/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just picked up pic related for $45. Is that a good price for what it is?

Just ordered this POS for like 10€. I'll be using it to practice dial painting and other potentially destructive shit I don't want to risk a proper watch with.

Looks like the case tries to be a Sinn knockoff, but I don't know if the dial is originally a Sinn desing.

That looks terrible

you'll just be berated for that.

>Strap guide:
>pastebin.com/SwRysprE
nothing about deployment buckles.
are they cool or ghey?

How accurate are your watches? The most accurate, the least accurate, and the accuracy of ur beater.

I'll start:

Least accurate +15s/day

Most: -1s/day

My daily Seiko beater: +7s/day

which two are the nicest?

Left & middle.

None
Stop buying shitty watches

>Least
Vostok. +/-30s on wrist average.

>Beater
OVM: Running at roughly +/-5s on wrist.

>Most
See "Beater"

Jesus fuck is that even a real question? Only two of them are even worth considering.

hello Sup Forumsentlemen,

I am interested in purchasing a watch. A simple, cheap watch, which I could wear casually, use it as a daily beater. By cheap I mean reaaaaly fucking cheap.

it's pretty nice watch actually
the kickstarter met it's goal like 20 minutes after launching.
if you went to any watch forums except this one you would have heard about it.

>Most accurate:

As I posted in the last thread, my 1975 King Seiko 5256-8010 has gone +0.0s from Oct 18 to Nov 6.

>Least Accurate:

1967 Seikomatic-P 5106 runs around +5s/d but runs much faster off the wrist than on it and has lots of positional variance. Vintage low beat movement so I can't exactly be surprised at it not being super accurate.

Most of my autos without micro-adjusters run around +5s/d because I regulate them myself and would rather a watch run +5 than -1, and close is as good as you are going to get without the precision of a micro-adjuster for the regulator.

My other 52xx Seiko runs ~+2s/d.

who /pocketwatch/ here?

>he hasn't regulated his Vostok yet

My Amphibia is my most accurate beater, with +-1s. They have a great potential.

>least
A bunch of watches that are either broken, before service or just refuse to work properly
>most
Helvetia with ETA 2873. Too bad manual winding is fucked
>beater
Not really beater since I take care of it, but my daily is an Amphibia, mostly because it's my favorite watch.

As for actual beater I have an F-91W on a nato.

I mean ETA 2783. It's a 40 years old movement.

>buying a kikestarter watch
Your money would have been better spent on a Seiko diver or saving up for a seamaster

It'll drift back to around +-20s a day
accuracy is not what vostoks do well

i like the one on the left the most and i do not like the middle one at all
the murdered-out version looks very nice i think, if you're into that type of thing.
i like the look, but personally i don't think i would really want to wear a watch that looks like that.
meh, not crazy about the blue accents 2bh user

I tried regulating mine but it drifts back to -10 to -20 a day. My guess is the regulator arm doesn't have enough friction to stay in place, I can move it as easily as if it was oiled.

There's a lot of things that factor into accuracy
Even though vostoks aren't that good at it, they have the best shock resistance in the business more or less

No, accuracy is constant, even positional variance is constant, it's just that mine doesn't stay where I set it. I set it to 30s fast (to compensate for daily wear) but it goes back to -20 by the next day.

>most accurate
gp quartz chronometer 6 s/year
omega w cal.600 +6 s/day

>least accurate
some old pobeda 80 s/d

>beater
dont have one

these are all timegrapher specs though. i rarely wear the same watch for more than three days consecutively so i barely notice the accuracy at all.

>Most accurate
Casio MDV106. Gains around a second a month
My G gshock gains 2
>Least accurate
Seiko snk809. Gains 20 seconds a day
>Daily beater
Amphibia Gains around 15s a day.

>lumed date isn't easy to pull off. when the date changes at midnight, the one for the next day won't be charged.
Good point. However you can have a frosted window or a blue/UV transparent cover that allows the covered lume to charge.

most
casio oceanus

least
dunno havnt checked, one of the orients though

Is it worth it maybe?

No.

Size? Link?

Where do I get lume paint?

No idea. Ebay.

Buy a good quality tudor replica. You'll be much happier and it will hold its value better.

>tudor knockoff
>hold its value
has no value to hold

Is a Seiko KS high beat (not Special) still a smart buy if it's in good condition?
What series of movement are recommended?
Best non-vintage alternatives in terms of looks?

I'm too hamfisted to do anything with the delicate workings of a watch. And plus it just sits in my drawer, I only got the thing just to mod it. and it turned out decent.

How this watch style is called? What's the original?

grandad

really like these 2, you have a model name or number to find one by?

f-91w also known as the terrorist watch

f91 will give you what you want, it even has 7 years of battery life

thank you, i will look into that.

Why does Rolex refuse to use AR coating?

Frustrating. The cyclops has AR coating but i wish the crystal did. Watches look beautiful when you cannot see any glare and look like the crystal isn't there.

>tfw I like Casio watches, especially the complicated Edifice ones
>Also like my mechanicals
>watch autists will still make fun of me for liking highly functional watches
fuk u guys

It's a complete deal breaker for me. Seiko pulls the same bullshit and I would honestly rather them use a mineral crystal if they're gonna cheap out and not use AR coating.
I wanted a black bay so bad but it looks like Tudor pulls the same shit.
Seamaster pro it is then...

I do love my Omega but I have realized that the Submariner is a better watch
Although I suppose it's not a surprise considering it's like 3 times the price
Fuck it, my next buy is gonna be the no date sub
What's the best place to get one? Online or should I stick with the AD?

>Giving a shit what other people think

Think for yourself you god damn pussy.

Can anyone recommend a watch that I can buy to my wife? Not solar. I would like some real gold on it, but fine if it's only details because I don't think it would matter to the wife. Not more than $200, preferably around $100. Something that looks nice

I already have a pretty big collection of Casio's, my favorite being the 106 diver just because of how much you get for the 40 bucks that you spend.
It just annoys me that so many people will dismiss a watch completely just on brand name.
I don't think the sub is a better watch. It has a more expensive to service movement that you'll spend more on because of shorter service intervals, all for a very comparable accuracy to the seamaster.
The crystal has no AR coating which is just annoying
and if you buy a no date sub people will just think it's a fake, if you buy a date sub you'll have to deal with a tumor on your watch.
I would say save the 6k and step up to a JLC.
A reverso in black would perfectly compliment your diver.
>real gold
>around $100
Tell me, how did a mongoloid like you manage to get married? Clearly you aren't very rich.

Real gold for 200 dollars will get you a very thin plating, or just a gold colored paint.

get what you like

i dont give a fuck about the oceANUS chanter

fuckinglove the watch.

its a great looking and feeling watch and an excellent quartz option

I still stand by my statement that the Oceanus line are the best quartz watches under the GS.
Not a single Citizen can even compare, especially in terms of styling.

No women's watches look nice. Just get her the gayest mainstream shit you can afford.

I think brands like Rolex use no AR to make the watch "shiny" as it reflects more light.

If this is going to be your first Rolex, get it from an AD, you'll have the peace of mind of knowing it's genuine and get a nicer buying experience

Never pay full price from an AD. Jew them as hard as you can.

I was thinking more like gold plating on the face or whatever it's called in English. Or the hands. But might do completely without it as well, because the wife won't care. Just want to give her a present.

I WAS thinking of a thin plating on the watch face or something

the build quality is real nice also.

The all titanium makes the watch feel like either my orients on leather or nato strap when on my wrist. It doesnt feel like a way heavier watch

As you said with styling, i love it. The accents being blue makes it look like peering into the deep ocean at night. Its breath taking.

perpetual calender and atomic time are great. I have yet to have a night where it fails to get in touch with the atomic clock in colorado

also the tough mvt and 10 bar is nice, it makes for a stylish but rugged watch

Also buy the watch because you like it. some people will think it's fake as the above user said. Fuck them, people that matter to me know it's real, people that don't, well they don't matter.

Get her a Casio LTP. There's a million models to choose from, a lot of them are gold plated and they're reliable pieces.

Those are nice, thanks for the recommendation.

That's just insane
Look how much clearer a watch with AR like this is compared to Even Omega uses AR
You can see how blue the dial actually is. It's not covered in that shitty milky haze that sapphire has.

The addition of the blue O ring around the crystal is a really nice touch.
It's a shame /wt/ will never fall for the OceANUS meme.
I'm buying the fuck out of it right after I get a speedy

theres one at $880 or so that i would really like to add

but id like to get a much nicer mechanical first

The blue accents as touches are perfect imo, it really sells that looking into the ocean vibe.

A shame yeah, but $530 quartz is a tough sell to some folks but this watch brings in a lot of tech in an understated look which is perfect.

I love both my mechanicals but i really like the impersonalness of the oceanus, some sun light and it brutally tells near perfect time for a very long time with the second hand ticking along at perfect second intervals. Just how everything lines up perfectly all the time, it speaks to the care in making the watch.

i love my orients though. Mako is my new work watch taking over from the timex which i gave to my dad to hold him over till he gets a replacement watch band.

Howbeit, friend?

I have sufficient reason to believe that you have used a specific form of identification, this thing known as a "trippy dippy code" within the confines of your posts. Thank heavens, the fine fellows at four-chains are quite glad and kind chaps and would be willing to assist you in your future communication endeavors. It would seem you used your trippy dippy code in a situation in which it was not necessary. Oh dear! One should always strive to avoid these sorts of mistakes when the conversation it was relevant to has ceased, with the exception of it being invoked again! Using one's trippy dippy code in uncalled for situations is poor etiquette. The ideal post is one made in anonymity, from the privy of obscurity, unless it should be required to compromise on it.

Oh deary, you need not express thanks - I am simply here to assist you in your adjustment to our four-chains culture.

Who's the best NATO seller on Amazon?

What's the best way to clean a leather strap?
Real leather, not plastic chink crap

Leather cleaner

bad fake

Why is it fake?

From what I have seen most of the "good" fakes apply AR coating :^)

Who makes the best natos? I remember someone recently mentioned ones that felt like seat belt material, but I don't remember who sold them.

cheapestnatostraps can't be beat. They make a better product than 90% of the competition at 10% the price. Even looks good on dress watches!

buckle and crown. Check the strap guide.

posting small collection again
incoming: silver Vostok Neptune
saving up for: NTH Oberon

Rate me:
amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2SJXZW/

Couldhavedoneworse/10

If you're gonna go quartz you might as well take advantage of the technology and get a Casio lineage or something

You'll regret the inability to change straps later.

Is accutron a meme?

>purchase Accutron
>everyone describes a pleasant hum
>it's actually a high pitch whining constantly while the watch is in my vicinity
>sell it a week later

They are mid-sized models of Fortis Flieger Chronograph and Tutima Flieger GMT, respectively. Both discontinued over 10 years ago sadly.

Blue hands here. Any mods planned?

>Seiko NH35A movement
>Titanium meme
Just get a steinhart or pray for another obris morgan batch

>calling a genuine watch a "bad fake"

Get your eyes tested or stop hating on what people have, some people do own genuine watches, Rolex sells millions of them.

I'm looking to pimp my SKX007 some more. Are there custom crowns? I'd be interested in something better than generic coin edge.

What's the best movement for a DIY no date diver project?

You can get your hands on a Miyota 9015 pretty easily, just a quick scan of eBay shows up 2 going for roughly £80 each.
ETA 2824-2 going for around £45 there too.

Really the best to use is any common movement, so there are plenty of spares and documentation.
As for Date vs No date. Just hide it under the dial if anything.

RELEASE MY WATCH AT ONCE, RUSSIAN POST
THIS IS MY ONLY WARNING

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I got my Vostok a year ago.
It still says "Preparing for dispatch" on the tracker.

Don't rely on postal workers to do things properly.

I want one with a long reserve otherwise I'll just go quartz

Are there any cheap aliexpress mechanicals other than Parnis?

Depends on what you call cheap...

From 10-20 dollars you get all the tongji watches.

From 70 dollars and up you have parnis, carnival, reef tiger

I love the Seiko Giugiaro Ripley.

Tempted as FUCK to buy it.

What's your opinion on it, /wt/?

literally the same as a happy meal toy