My USB suddenly is not being recognized and is asking me to format...

My USB suddenly is not being recognized and is asking me to format, i lost several semesters worth of assignments and notes, i tried with software to recover the data and not a single file could be found

What else could i do to recover the files? why aren't any of the recovery programs working?

it says file system is RAW, which is a fancy way of saying it is corrupt

Other urls found in this thread:

spideroak.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Install Gentoo.

probably no hope bruh, this is why you have more than one copy of shit, also for school shit I'm surprised you're not using google docs/drive

the "software to recover the data" you used probably ruined any chance you ever had of getting it back.
Try opening the drive from a linux livecd.

my last backup was a few months ago so not all is lost but i should have backed up more frequently, i tried a bunch of different software that says it should work for RAW usb's

i dont like using google docs/drive , i prefer to have it privately on my usb and not on the "cloud" but i realized how old fashioned that is now that i think of it

is there any ideas on what else i could do? anyone come across this before even in an external HDD or something

>My USB
your USB what?

I can see not wanting your personal shit online but for school/work sharing and collaboration are big pluses

Well shit user, you done fucked up, you should be using, as it has already been mentioned, an online storage facility like google docs, if your worried about privacy you could use spideroak.com
Ideally if your using a memory stick as main storage of your data, you should have it back up in multiple places, e.i. A HDD on your main comp or something.
The reason memory sticks are a popular thing is because they're cheap and portable, not reliable.

This is all fantastic info in hindsight obviously.

Did you turned it off and on again?

>important notes
>not backing up important notes

kill yourself

How do you store data on the Universal Serial Bus?

Are you using windows? Windows is shit.
Get a Linux livecd, Ubuntu will work. If you still do not have access, use utility called testdisk. Testdisk is a data recovery tool, you can get a testdisk livecd or just install it under Ubuntu (apt-get install testdisk).

Google more about testdisk and how to use it.

Also find a channel on YouTube called level1linux, they have some really nice videos about data recovery using testdisk.

̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅ ̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅̅
photorec

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[usbdevice]
this will zero out the bad blocks in the partition header that are making the drive un-recognizable. Once this is done you should be able to mount it and recover your files.

Bruh

If there's any data left, this will totally destroy it by explicitly writing zeros to your USB storage. OP, don't do what that faggot is saying.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're referring to as a USB, is in fact, a portable flash mass storage device with integrated Universal Serial Bus interface, or as I've recently taken to calling it, flash drive plus USB interface. USB is not a storage device unto itself, but rather another a name for an industry standard that defines cables, connectors and communication protocols used in a bus for connection, communication and power-supply between computers and external peripherals.

Many computer users use a variant of the flash drive very day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the variant of flash drive which is widely used today is often called a USB, and many of its users are not aware that it is the flash drive, developed by Trek Technology and IBM.

There really is a USB, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. USB is the receptacle: the connector in the system that accepts and embraces the plug of the male connector. The receptacle is an essential part of an USB system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete USB system. The female USB receptacle is normally used in combination with the male USB plug, such as on the flash drive: the whole system is basically the flash drive with the USB interface, or flash drive/USB interface. All the so-called USB distributions are really distributions of flash drive/USB interface!

Well thats why you dont use chink shit thumbdrives.
What brand was it?

The data is still on the chip probably. I once has a /csg/ thumbdrive my school gave everyone instead of fixing the file saving server.. everyone lost all of their work half way though the year.
I found on my model I was able to short the pins out while it was plugged in and it would reset the chip and read properly for that use. It had to be done EVERY time. I dont recommend this.

So the physical object is called a USB interface?

- it was a 4gb geek squad

ive tried 8 different kinds of software, but they all seem to be doing nothing and i have no clue for what purpose people would use them for other than recovering deleted photographs if it cant recover files from a broken file system

im probably going to re-read and summarize dozens of chapters of notes

No clue what i should do with my usb at this point

You're*

take the shell off and see if you can read the chip information.
Find the pin out online
connect the reset to ground while its plugged into thecomputer

But as a normie youre going to fuck EVERYTHING UP.

Run photorec on it, use a different folder as an output

this probably wont even work, I dont know flash memory.. but you might be able to make a new file system then photorec it.

Different drive.

and try to look at it in linux for fucks sake.. micrshaft cant see shit.

yeah sorry OP

try a live ISo or something and maybe can boot it up. but always back up into a cloud or something.

people can hate on clouds botnet yadda yadda but they truly can be great

you dont even know what the cloud fucking is otherwise you would have stopped talking at "back up"

If you're syncing to drive / dropbox then it's as good of a backup as raid 1

yeah whatever that means.

just get a new one and restore from your backup

Give it back, Tyrone.

back it up to a harddrive. The "cloud" is just a computer with a harddrive.. skip the middleman.. just put it on a fucking harddrive. (which should be mirrored to a second drive anyway)

That's because a USB has no storage you need a flash drive to store things OP

use Photorec. Only program that has reliably worked for me in the past.

I hope you are being payed to shill this shit

I'd use TestDisk or PhotoRec instantly, best low level software there is.

ive tried teskdisk , photorec, ease us , m3 data recovery , chkDsk on CMD , power data recovery , ZAR recovery

nothing is working or returns no results found :/

like i said im confused its as if the software does nothing? its a RAW corrupt file system - they dont expect you to recover files from working file systems do they?

>i prefer to have it privately on my usb and not on the "cloud"
unless you are writing papers on how to masturbate furiously to cp, I don't see why you wouldn't use something that's easy, free and would have save your ass in case your only usb drive crapped itself.

I'm all in for privacy but I certainly don't condone idiocy. Next time just keep more copies of your important stuff and try not to put all eggs in one basket. Specially if that basket is a cheap ass generic usb drive.

did you try Roadkill, Recuva, ?

perhaps theres some usb flash tester cable capable of generating a RAW dump that you can in turn perhaps scan in text mode in hopes of finding XML open office formats, which should most fall under a single cluster unless they contained images, im just making shit up at this point

pepecrying.png

theres no excuse for not even simply drap&droping a coupe GB from flashdrive to PC in at least a friend's and your computer (preferably a friend not in your dorm room, or dorm building, for tethf and fire redundancy)

and offcourse checking the copy with some md5hash

install code.kliu.org hashtabs
select all files > creach checksum
copy to PC folder containing the copy of flashdrive folderstructure and run the md5 to check

did

>the "software to recover the data" you used probably ruined any chance you
explain?

any software should be simply reading, and not modifying anything

not OP btw

Not OP, but I also have a problem:
I have an external HD, and I disconnected it while it was writing, now it's fucked up and won't even appear in /dev.
Is there any hope for me?

>The female USB receptacle is used in combination with the male USB plug
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
keep your USB gender binaries out of Sup Forums please, this is a safe space

>The "cloud" is just a computer with a harddrive.
more like a few different computers on different locations on earth with semi-automatic rebuilding everytime one mirror fails

just put it on a fucking harddrive. (which should be mirrored to a second drive anyway)
then even if both drives are kept separata, you're visiting your parents with your laptop on cargo, and you get robbed/fire/flood/quake for the two backups at once + the gnu/usb or as ive taken to calling it, pendrive

yes, in the case of HDDs, its entirely possible you currupted the filesystem but if its a modern one it should have means of recovery of the "filetables"

at best (or worst) you just shorted the PCB and you just gotta buy an identical hdd and replace the PCB, it does not involve exposing the plates as that would kill it, its just a circuitry on the outside of the HDD sealed body

Try partition table recovery in testdisk.

I don't give a shit what's on the HD, I just want IO to work again. So buying a new HDD is not in my interests.
Is there any hope in that regard? What kind of troubleshooting should I look into? Most recovery tools ask for a /dev/sdX partiion which is obviously not an option for me, I don't know much about this.

slacker, why no cloud backup?

>zero out the bad blocks
This is a flash drive, not HDD.