/pcbg/

vr edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Significantly outdated "Good" and "Very Good" tiers
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/mswzkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/PcsXnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/2W3ZFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/pN3ZFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/GCj22R
pcpartpicker.com/list/Gyd97h
pcpartpicker.com/list/b9rrm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/8dLsm8
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K1JVO86
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/6BL97h
pcpartpicker.com/list/xTd97h
amazon.com/dp/B01L80DH4G/ref=twister_B01LX3VDXT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

VR is gimmicky meme

for now it is
once the dev tools get better then we should see a marked improvement in quality

kill yourself shill

O_S_V_R
S
V
R

Elite Gaming
pcpartpicker.com/list/mswzkT

>pcbg meme edition

Ow buddy you are so wrong. I've started a project at work that's cutting edge.

- we convert our autocad drawings to the Unity engine
- entire steelplant suddenly in 3D
- this shit's gonna change the world

And my father always said playing games would get me nowhere.

The setup we use is an HP Z840 workstation and an htc vive with an x-box controller for movement, total cost is around 8000 euros

Athlon 5350 on an ECS Kam1-I mobo with 16gb of ddr3 and an RX460
An Adata 120gb SSD as the only drive
Using any PSU with a 6 pin PCI connector, probably in a cardboard box or a spare case I have lying around
Possibly in a full, extended atx tower just for the lols

Goal: CSGO with a low budget
It also runs on Linux

Good/bad/terrible?
Already have the ram and GPU around, no need to buy weaker stuff if I already have good stuff

Lga 1150 mobos are more expensive than the kam1-I and Athlon combined and I've already sold my i5 4460s anyway

>x-box controller
>autocad

I'm really liking the whole OSVR thing. Not only is the headset cheaper, but games made for it should automatically work on both the Rift and Vive

Been waiting for this thread.
A close friend got her laptop stolen so now she wants a desktop instead. Generally she uses PC for studying (her study materials consist mostly of videos and recordings, hence the needs for large storage), facebook, normies stuff and music listening. We are not in usa nor any country listed on pcpartpicker but the pricing from local shops is quite similar so I only edited slightly.Here's the link: pcpartpicker.com/list/PcsXnn
A few notes:
1. Case is actually my idea. I am biased toward this form factor and I can confirm it has slots for a SSD, a 3.25" HDD and ODD; it also comes with a 300W PSU. The seller of this case happens to be someone I know so I can actually get a discount. I may have to discuss with said friend about this choice however.
2. ODD is for her music collection, she has quite a library of CD albums. I couldn't talk her into ripping those albums and storing them on HDD back then she still had her laptop.
3. Alternatively, I found a soldered mobo, Asrock Q1900M. It looks interesting and is also cheaper than G4400 but I will have to ask you guys's opinions on it. I took a quick look and seems like people are buying this mobo for server use rather than consumer use.
4. Last but not least, is the choice of HDD good? Since the OS will be installed on SSD, rpm isn't a concern but is it reliable? I don't want the thing to die on my friend because those study data is very important. Any other suggestions?
5. Or should i just scrap all this and buy her a pre-built?
Thank you in advance.

VR IS DEAD

VR = BETAMAX
AR = VHS

pcpartpicker.com/list/2W3ZFd

Watchu lads think? Might end up dropping to optical drive and getting the define s but I dunno. Looking for any input.

Also since this is for muh gaymes I need windows, should I go for 7, 8, or 10? im leaning towards 7 because it's comfier and it seems much more stable than the others, but 8 will have official support for longer and 10 has dx12 at the cost of uber botnet

building a gaming computer. not really limited by money, but would prefer not to get too ridiculous

pcpartpicker.com/list/pN3ZFd

please advise or tell me I'm retarded, but please give suggestions to other things

implementing the htc vive controllers themselves requires the htc dk's, our system is setup so it can run on an oculus 2

What's a good mini-ITX silent case?
What's a good mini-ITX mobo that can accommodate silent components (specifically the CPU and GPU and PSU?)

Is the conversion automatic, or you remodel the plant manually using the drawings as a template?

I've done something similar for my work. Given office space AutoCAD drawings, you sketch architectural walls representing offices. Configure everything on-the-fly and get automatic pricing/BOMs and can see it in VR.

Got some free shit from a mate, he gave me some build advice but I don't want him to know I'm retarded.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GCj22R

How's this? I need a Z170 chipset board for future drives and the second HDD there is for backup.

the conversion is automatic, but we still have a problem with the unity garbage collector, it doesn't free up the memory after conversion. Currently we don't use textures yet.

Our goal is that when someone from the drawing room creates something in autocad, it gets rendered during the night and the next day he can book a meeting room where the vive is setup to look for clashes with the current setup in the plant.

32gb ram is pretty ridiculous
You're going to need a hard drive and an ssd
Case is eh

correction, it's the mono garbage collector

missed the delivery guy now i have to wait tomorrow WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS HAPPEN I WANT TO BUILD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

already have several just sitting around (not an ssd though, which I'll get later)

hm okay, I'll go with 16GB.

everything else seem aight besides the case lookin' eh? pretty much just picked one

Yeah pretty much, water cooling could he overkill depending on what you're doing. You might want your OS drive to be new atleast just for longevity.

if you live in an okay area you can sign up online for them to just drop it off without a signature

not in switzerland, at least not with tthe option i chose. ffs i had a nice comfy day of building and sipping tea ahead of me, now i don't know what the fuck to do with my day

[spoiler]don't tell me to go outside. it's raining[/spoiler]

Im planning a PC upgrade, new CPU, MOBO, Ram, GPU.
I use GNU/linux as my daily driver, but still use windows for games.
Rather than dual booting, Im looking at running windows in a VM with dedicated GPU. Would it be better to use CPUs onboard graphics, or an old GeForce 9600 I have about. I can get a decent deal on a Xeon E3 1230 v5, which seems comparable to a 6600k, but this doesnt have onboard graphics.
Would using an old GPU be worth it?

Bump

Are they 3D AutoCAD files or 2D drawings? If the latter, how do you infer the 3D heights or determine what line (and other) entities represent walls that should be extruded or represented on the 3D?

We just get 2D drawings so we just convert it to a bitmap and throw it in the ground plane to use as a stencil/snapping when drafting.

Also, I hear you about the garbage collection. We do our 3D generation outside Unity by creating Wavefront OBJ files (including textures) and load those on-the-fly using the Unity runtime. Works well for realtime changes but sucks that we can't take advantage of any global illumination (baked or realtime).

It's that why you so it overnight for the GI baking?

> cutting edge
> this shit's gonna change the world
> And my father always said playing games would get me nowhere. (he was right lol)
> The setup we use is an HP Z840 workstation and an htc vive with an x-box controller for movement,
>>> total cost is around 8000 euros

You can 3D print the headset too!

Not the screens or most of the shit, but the "headset" part!

> SATA SSD
> WD Blue 2TB for 75 dollars
> literally who PSU (for 55 fucking dollars for 300 watts, no less!) and monitor
That build is so fucking shit.
Switch to a m.2 SSD and a PCIe adapter, get a Hitachi hard drive, get a power supply that isn't shit, and get a monitor from a recognizable brand.

1. Where the fuck is the case? Oh, I see it now. No, your opinion is shit.
2. Okay. But it better be one of those Multi-Read ones or whatever.
3. Don't fucking buy that soldered shit, dipshit. You can't replace the CPU, and it's a piece of shit.
4. It's good, but you're retarded for buying it. Hitachi has the best failure rates, and the best drives, and the best prices. Go with them.
5. Yes, and not just because you're fucking retarded and can't into building a PC.
At your price point (and with your use case), a USED prebuilt will be a much better option, although you can get a new one if you want. Don't be a fucking retard, though, and ONLY get workstations and tower servers. Nothing less.
Afterwards, follow all advice mentioned beforehand, except for the hard drive if it's large enough for you.

Also, don't be a complete fucktard and get something that was made after Core 2 Duo/Xeon E54xx, and after the first generation i-cores/E56xx if you can.

Your build is so fucking shitty it's unbelievable.

Same goes for you.

Seriously, where the fuck are your drives?

Get Hitachi if you need a hard drive, SSDs are shit unless you're going PCIe.

You're doing everything right except for the motherboard, CPU, SSD, WD hard drive, and maybe the fan.

Your 9600, more-or-less.

Old desktop GPUs should be good enough to rival integrated graphics, but use a bit more power.

Yeah, though the plastic bits aren't that important - chinese smartphone-based headsets are a dime a dozen and they all work fairly well. The crucial part here is that the PCB layouts are open, meaning anyone can mass-produce them cheaply. It's mostly the lenses and the high pixel density screens that make it expensive.

I'd love to see them implement a lighthouse tracking option (apparently that is open too), though the current 5-finger hand tracking via leap motion looks pretty dope too.

terrible, wtf you need 16gb of ram for a shitty old AM1 chip?

>ancient shit dual core
>HD5450
>AMD
better be some elite retro gaming.

Can someone who's not an asshole respond?

Why are you so obsessed with PCIe SSD's? There is already quite a nice jump in speed from HDD to SSD so why go the extra mile for PCIe SSD?

Decent, but you if you don't want to SLI get a cheaper mobo and 500W PSU, also get faster RAM. See: pcpartpicker.com/list/Gyd97h
Personally i'd go with Win 7 as long as possible, Win 8 is completely and utterly retarded and Win 10... either you love it or you hate it, most do the later.

I own the psu already its from and old build, I'll swap the ram and probably go with 7 then, is dx12 important or eh?

what about the intel alloy? since it's gonna be open hardware, will it affect the vr trend?

What do you need an i7 for? If you're only gaming stay with the i5.
DX12 isn't really important, at least not yet. That will definitelly change in the future, but imho should get a new GPU by then.

pcpartpicker.com/list/b9rrm8
Is this overkill for 1440p/144hz?

Not even a little bit. In most AAA games on max settings you'll see about 80 FPS at 1440p.

pcpartpicker.com/list/8dLsm8
This is my current parts list. It's kind of weird but these are the parts I was able to get for really cheap from different friends.
Anywya, I was thinking of upgrading to an i5 6500 (non k), and I realized that I would need to upgrade the motherboard ad well. My question is if I will also have to upgrade the ram to ddr4 or if there are any new mobos that support new CPU architectures and also ddr3 ram?

Alright, thanks. I'll probably get more drives in the future for backup.

Got a free mom-board and case + PSU from friend

Went to store and bought cheapest AM2+ CPU and RAM, plus a cooler for mad overclocks

Cost me $95 for the computer

Meant windows 7 not i7

In that case stick with Win 7, but keep in mind that installing Win 7 on Skylake builds can be a pain in the ass.
You have to follow some mainboard specific steps, idk the specifics though. I'm still on Lynnfield with Win 7.

What is the difference between EVGA 500 and EVGA 500B? Other than efficiency.

>he's too stupid to understand that mixed reality was the end goal all along

Guys, what's some cheap quiet case fans I can buy?
Sub-10 bucks, been looking around and there's just too many damn choices.

(Fractal Design Mini C if anyone is interested.)

Most non-led ones are fine

Just dont fall for the noctua meme

Why exactly is it a pain in the Ass? This could actually lead me to getting 8

>Why exactly is it a pain in the Ass?
Told you idk exactly why.
>This could actually lead me to getting 8
Don't. Get 7 or 10 but don't get 8.

CM Sickle Flow, Be Quiet PURE Wings, standard Fractal's and Tt's.

Noctua fans are excellent and worth it if you have the money.

Made me giggle, thanks

I'm doing a budget build that will use a CPU + Rx 460.

I narrowed down my choices for the CPU to an X4 845 or i3 4360. i3 is about twice as expensive and I'm not sure if it's worth it but the X4 845 has shit single-thread performance.

What do?

>RX-460.

But why tho?

And please tell me you're not getting gigabyte, I've heard they've got a shit program to manage their GPUs.

>>RX-460.
>But why tho?
Because I'm on a budget and the 1050ti blows in the vydias I want to play.

>And please tell me you're not getting gigabyte, I've heard they've got a shit program to manage their GPUs.
Nah I'm probably gonna get this asus one.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K1JVO86

>>Sup Forums

where do I AR

I'm currently waiting for Kaby Lake and Zen to see what they bring to the table. What is basically want from the build is to get me trough university until Cannon/Coffe Lake when i can afford/need a power build again.
If neither will offer a good option, i have made an alternative build. Usage is mostly university, work and some gaming (or non.. might drop the RX460): de.pcpartpicker.com/list/6BL97h
Thought about Pentium and i3, i5 but Pentium and i3 are only dual core and i can't really justify spending the money on a good i5.

But muh even more botnet

pcpartpicker.com/list/xTd97h
Any comments before I buy?

I'd rather be part of the final botnet than have to deal with the shitty wannabe mobile version of wangblows.
Also.. if you use any of Google's or Mr. Zuckerberg's services, consider yourself being cucked into eternal botnetery.

Get the EVO instead of the Pro and you're good to go.

>Virtual machines, rendering shit, gayming, programming, other hobbies.
>$2000 prob, with tax
Looking for some improvements to my build.
Specs so far:
>Intel Xeon 2620 v4 (8c 16t)
>Asrock x99 taichi (because dual m.2)
>Corsair rm750x
>Samsung 960 evo (256gb)
>Dual ASUS ROG 1070 (3 fans for maximum vrm cooling)
>16gb ddr4 2400mhz Corsair vengeance
>Corsair H110
>NZXT s340
>probably a set of cablemods
What i already own:
>Samsung 850 evo 120gb
>WD Black 1tb and Blue 500gb
I do game a little, but not much anymore. I need the graphics cards for cuda(idk if sli helps with rendering) and also for e-peen.

>Sup Forums
>VR is only used by gaymes
wut u doin

Who herr waiting for Zen, Vega, and 960evo?

only when AMD fix their multi monitor usage

What's wrong with amd multimonitor! Do you mean like multimonitor gaming? Or just general use.

Those AMD cards pull like 40 Watts with multimonitor desktop usage.

My card (GTX 1070 8 X) pulls 12 Watts.

Those additional 28 watts add up after a while if you leave your PC running 24/7

>R9 380 8GB
>73W
This is more than my laptop uses under load...

Oh.
I'm not a hippie and i live in the first world so i could care less about powerconsumption.
Still even if Vega is shit, at least they will have something high end. Nvidea will release a 1080ti and severely pricecut the 1080 I'm sure.

Thinking about the future, would I be better off getting a 6500 now and upgrading sooner or a 6700K and upgrading later?

>buy ITX computer
>take out the fans
Silent

They're excellent but not even close to worth it

Whether or not they're worth it depends on whether or not you're comfortable spending more on case fans than the case.

I say they are.

Fans can't cool VRMs without a heatsink just like blowing on the stove won't cool it down you need to put a heat-conductive material like thermal pads or your flesh to cool hot metal

Evaporation is the only way to actually "cool" your computer parts

> Looking for any input.
> BAWW user IS ASSHOLE!
Fucking cry moar.

Because an m.2 SSD and PCIe adapter is only a few bucks more and is an even bigger jump in speed since it isn't limited by SATA.

But pretty much all M2 drives other than samsungs 950-series and the top OCZ drive barely beat out a SATA SSD.
If you want the speeds you don't just need an M2 you need a 950 pro or sm951 or 960 pro or something, but with that it'll cost a lot (much more than other M2 drives even)
SATA SSD prices have gone way down the last few years, it's a great time to buy a fast SATA based SSD for $100 or less.
M2 is great too, but most of them aren't THAT much better. While not many M2s offer significantly huge increases from SATA SSDs, the ones that do cost a lot and it's already fast enough to be arguable whether or not the extra speeds matter, boot times became faster than POSTing long ago and hard drives are no longer a bottlenecks anymore

Not them but your input isn't really constructive. As a rule
>Your build is so fucking shitty it's unbelievable.
should be an opening statement at most, not your entire critique.

Also speeds above 6Gb/s are mostly dickwaving for 95% of users.

That's 6 GigaBITS per second, a speed dickwaving move by tech companies
Divide that by 8, and that's not a lot of gigabytes per second
But M2? 32Gb/s and 4GB/s max bandwidth? That's a lot more comfy and futureproof for SSD manufacturers.
And it's tiny with no cables, so that's cool

get a 6700k
don't upgrade ever again

It's not a dickwaving move, it's legacy. Gigabits have been the standard for transfer rates for a long time because 0.xx Gigabytes would have sounded stupid. It also does not change my point.
You're right though, it's futureproof which accomplishes... nothing. Since you need a new SSD to take advantage of this futuretech you can just buy an M2 SSD at that time.
Cool factor is undeniable but cool for the sake of cool is the path of Sup Forums, and is lined with windowed cases and LEDs. This is Sup Forums, the Soviet Russia of hardware enthusiasts.

Bump

> But pretty much all M2 drives other than samsungs 950-series and the top OCZ drive barely beat out a SATA SSD.
> If you want the speeds you don't just need an M2 you need a 950 pro or sm951 or 960 pro or something, but with that it'll cost a lot (much more than other M2 drives even)
Yeah, okay.

> M2 is great too, but most of them aren't THAT much better. While not many M2s offer significantly huge increases from SATA SSDs, the ones that do cost a lot and it's already fast enough to be arguable whether or not the extra speeds matter, boot times became faster than POSTing long ago and hard drives are no longer a bottlenecks anymoreM2 is great too, but most of them aren't THAT much better. While not many M2s offer significantly huge increases from SATA SSDs, the ones that do cost a lot and it's already fast enough to be arguable whether or not the extra speeds matter, boot times became faster than POSTing long ago and hard drives are no longer a bottlenecks anymore
Whatever you say.

This is with the Crucial MX300, see: amazon.com/dp/B01L80DH4G/ref=twister_B01LX3VDXT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Get fucked kid.

> Not them but your input isn't really constructive.
> Watchu lads think?
> Looking for any input.
Doesn't matter.

> As a rule
> >Your build is so fucking shitty it's unbelievable.
> should be an opening statement at most, not your entire critique.
It's what I think. Go fuck yourself.

> Also speeds above 6Gb/s are mostly dickwaving for 95% of users.
Why use dogshit when you can get the best for only a few bucks more?

Also, not an argument.

Thanks.

It's true the PCIe x4 connection that is M2 isn't fully utilized by SSDs, but it's getting there. 3.5GB/s writes and 2.1GB/s reads on the latest and fastest 960 pro

What drive is that? That's literally impossible for an M2 drive, you're probably looking at a raid setup

> You're right though, it's futureproof which accomplishes... nothing.
You fucking dumbass, did you not see the part where I said to get an adapter card?

That alone allows access to a whole new format of storage.
> Since you need a new SSD to take advantage of this futuretech you can just buy an M2 SSD at that time.
He's getting a new SSD NOW, you fucking dipshit. Not only that, but he's getting a shitty deal with half the storage for nearly the same price just because "muh Samsung".

> Cool factor is undeniable but cool for the sake of cool is the path of Sup Forums, and is lined with windowed cases and LEDs.
Are you implying that I'm telling him to get it just because it's "cool"?
I'm telling him to get it because it's better, and better for the price, fuckwad.

> This is Sup Forums, the Soviet Russia of hardware enthusiasts.
You are such a fucking faggot that it's unbelievable. Fucking kill yourself.

>MX300 M2
>"up to 520MB/s read and writes!"
>mfw my SATA SSD does better

> posts the link
> What drive is that?
You're joking, right?

Oh jeez, have you ever thought it's because of the MX300 SATA SSD that they ALSO sell?

Shameless self bump you niggas.

No I looked at the description
Doesn't matter that what you first posted is impossible through a single M2 socket

They have Momentum Cache on.

Should I get the MSI Gaming X 1070 or the Zotac AMP! Edition 1070? They're both listed at MSRP for the 1070, but I think the Zotac card has a higher core clock.