T420 appreciation station. Post your beautiful T420's (the masterrace of laptops)

T420 appreciation station. Post your beautiful T420's (the masterrace of laptops)

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/File:T430masterrace.jpg
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-1600-900-HD-4GB-160GB-SSD-Win8-1Pro-/112130927005?hash=item1a1b86299d:g:MG0AAOSwCGVX7cS0
youtube.com/watch?v=ycKzTDnTYTQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>windows sticker

>tfw can't have a W520 appreciation thread because everyone has 12 or 14" thinkpads

You're welcome to stick around :)

tfw ThinkPad L450 master race

Seems alright except for the shitty soldered CPU

Should I get T420 for 160squids or X201 for 140 squids?
I dont know what to do, and I dont have anough money to buy them both.

T410s master race

why

Because you can't not say it as
"Tea For Tennis"

What battery life should I expect from a t420?
I'm getting about 3 hours, is this average? I'm pretty sure the battery life on my t400 used to be better than that.

windows - download lenovo power manager
linux - terminal, acpi -V

post it's percentage left. "last charged capacity"

You're ruining it with Ubuntu, you cuck.

I have one but no need for a picture.

I have the big battery pack (the one that sticks out). On Linux I get around 5-6 hours with normal use and brightness a few ticks below the max.

Meant for

*Xubuntu

>Last full capacity 4254 mAh = 94%

I suppose it's good then.

Right, I'll probably buy one of those. I just remembered I had the 9 cell in my t400.

You're ruining it with *ubuntu, you cuck.

Yeah, everything just works. It's great

>Battery 0: design capacity 7813 mAh, last full capacity 6291 mAh = 80%
I set my charging threshold to 84%; does that factor into this, or is my battery going to shit?

I bought an OEM lenovo battery and after two years it degraded from 99% to 73%. It's worth noting that you can fake the "max capacity" number if you got a chink battery.

Thoughts on the Lenovo Yoga series?

No beuno senor

The only master race is quad core T430 + nvidia dGPU and classic keyboard.
T420 is for poorfags and faggots.

Dude lmao that's the weed number.

You'd have more people if you included the T520 that based Rossman used. I-i'd join.
>that gorgeous fhd screen

Hipster faggot.

Is that yours? how well and easy was replacing the keyboard? It's the only thing preventing me from getting a T430, I know their gpus are quite a leap over the previous generation.

NVS 5400m 2GB is good enough to handle all modern gaymes. I tested BF1 yesterday and it was fine. :^)
>how easy
thinkwiki.org/wiki/File:T430masterrace.jpg
>is that yours?
No, mine is better.

I fucked up the link.
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads

>i7

Yep, I have a quadcore T420 + dGPU and that's the only setup that tops it.

Is there a problem, fampai?
The temperature never goes higher than 85C under full CPU load with turbo and HT enabled.
Throttling kicks in at 101C... which NEVER happens.

>Is there a problem, fampai?
Yeah, you're using an i7 in a laptop.

>uses a thinkpad
>calls other thinkpad users poorfags
you must be one of them light skinned niggers looking down on other niggers

And why is that a problem? Don't you like the required resources to get shit done?
Are you some kind of a nigger faggot?

I honestly feel bad for you, enjoy your overheating with marginal performance.

>NVS 5400m 2GB is good enough to handle all modern gaymes

I feel like you're trolling. I heard that the NVIDIA chip in T420 for example, is weak. How is this one capable of playing modern games? Proofs?

I'm a purely white aryan heterosexual man. My dad was an SS officer.
I think I'm actually more white than you and your entire family combined, nigger :^)

>I'm a purely white aryan
>aryan
Ahahaha

>overheating
I just showed you the test case where it's completely cool. I think you're mentally retaded, kid.
T420 4200m 512GB GPU is shit. It's old and it's a completely different platform.
OCd 5400m to 900MHz is slightly better than GT 640m.

not him. I thought we had cpu stepping to prevent this, and also doesn't the feature set of the i7 just not activate if it isn't being used?

Great response kid. You sure told me!
[X] TOLD
[ ] NOT TOLD

What are you talking about? Prevent what?
Throttling in this i7 model kicks in at 101C degrees. (at 105C there is a shutdown). 20 minute test with full load of both CPU and GPU shows that the CPU doesn't go higher than 85C degrees, which means it's completely fine. What's so hard to understand?

The GPU of the T430 has twice the performance of the 420 one

So you would say the T430 is worth the extra money? Is it still a good buy at this time or should I be looking at even newer models like T440?

Also, how is the screen? I heard that it's terrible. Is it really?

How do you OC on a laptop? Never understood that.

*at stock frequency
**applies only to the 40nm model
***28nm (2GB) shrink is actually faster and cooler

Playing games on a laptop is cancer, that's why you have a desktop.

hey guys is this t420 a good deal? I've been dreaming about being a t420 owner ever since my laptop broke

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-1600-900-HD-4GB-160GB-SSD-Win8-1Pro-/112130927005?hash=item1a1b86299d:g:MG0AAOSwCGVX7cS0

>OCing a soldered GPU
Just get a 15" model

Yeah that's a pretty good deal.

Did you ever smoke weed when having sex? Lol, that would be crazy. But cool though

It's sounds good in theory

Yes, it's worth it. I love it and IMHO it's superior to t440p, especially when it comes to the keyboard.
T440 has an ULV CPU. T440p has a shitty, unusable touch trackpoint. Plus it has much worse GPU (730m?).
1600x900 screen isn't that bad. You just need to use Intel PWM Control program, so it won't give you the eye cancer. After that it's completely fine.
>How do you OC on a laptop? Never understood that.
You download MSI Afterburner, you bump vRAM and core freqs. Done.
Also if you want to keep both QC CPU and OCd GPU you should bent a little both heatsinks, so they're properly aligned, thus giving you best cooling possible with stock cooling system. Also if you're afraid of overheating you can also enable the fastest fan state in tpfancontrol.
Pre-i7-3720qm CPUs cannot be OCd, tho. I wouldn't recommend that anyway, unless you want ot use the 135W PSU with it.

>Intel PWM Control program
How safe is that?

m-muh thinkpad circlejerk

Stop shilling your trash T430 >>>/tpg/

This is the T420 thread (masterrace laptop)

Playing gaymes on laptop is completely fine, unless you're a retarded kid who needs to play at 120FPS and everything set to ultra.
Unlike you I leave the house for most of the day, and sometimes I just want to play a little - in my company, for example. Have fun carrying your desktop with you everytime you go to your work you stupid negroid.
>OCing the already underclocked 28nm chip
Fix'd for you
All 15" thinkpads also have soldered GPUs.

>Intel PWM Control program
What is this?

I have a T420, an R61i, a Toshiba satellite, and an HP envy. Appreciate

Safe. Nobody ever reported an issue with that. I'm also using it at 500Hz since like a month and it's fine. No problems whatsoever.
Stop shilling for your trash T420 and get back to

>KEKNOVO
>NOT GOOD OLD lEGIT IBM
XD

youtube.com/watch?v=ycKzTDnTYTQ

Shitty screens like the ones of the T420/520 set lower brightness levels by rapidly turning the LED backlight on and off, and these models have a really low frequency (220Hz) for doing that. Someone made that tool to set a higher frequency.
If you are using a really old CCFL screen though, it could be damaged by a too high frequency

It's shit, kurwa.

Stop fighting lads, let's face it the T430 has superior hardware but the T420 the superior keyboard. Not everyone is comfortable hacking his computer and getting a non-100% functional keyboard.

And both have shit tier screens btw, T/W5x0 blow them out of the water.

Says the autist that can't go two seconds without playing his games.

>You just need to use Intel PWM Control program, so it won't give you sure cancer

Elaborate on that, please. I saw people in last thread complaining about T420 PWM. What is that?

Also, do you know if it's possible to adjust PWM on Linux? I'd dual boot.

Basically, if you notice the screen flicker at lower brightness rates and it's a problem for you, the tool will fix that

>a non-100% functional keyboard.
What.
You probably don't even know what this ONE unsupported combination does. Kek
>And both have shit tier screens btw, T/W5x0 blow them out of the water.
That's actually true, but keep in mind you can replace it with fHD one, especially now when there is this one faggot on leddit who still sells them.

>two seconds
You mean 12 hours?
see

I have a T410 that I bought many years ago, still in excellent condition

Anyone looking for a T430 and have a Fry's nearby? $247 today.

I own a W520. If it had a gaming GPU on it I would literally be set for life. Beautiful laptop

You're not welcome, Macfag.

The 2000M is quite nice for gaymes

Yeah, but working with optimus is a pain in the ass.

T420. The damn thing absolutely refuses to die.

says the poorfag that can't afford a good laptop

Hmm, I see. What about the T530? Seems to have that same GPU and you get a better screen. Does it still have that PWM problem, though?

How so? If you mean that the list of games is not installed by default, there's a fix for that. Or do you mean linux support?

Interesting, I sometimes notice flickering with certain images on the screen but im sure those are related to the lcd itself and always use my screen between 2 and 4 (out of 15) levels below max. Still this got me curious. I've done a couple of self repairs to my laptop namely bridge the broken led backlight fuse with a cable that runs through half the laptop because I can't into soldering SMD so im a bit nervous about it causing interference or something.

eGPU familia.
Don't know. T5*0 have much better screens. My dad's T520 has non-IPS screens and looks superior to the T430 one.

*screen
Also talking about the 1600x900 one.

Yes, it's got PWM too

You're so autistic. I like you.
Plus you just gave me a mad craving for strawberries and cream.

I'd definitely get any T/W5x0 over the T4x0 line any day if size and money aren't an issue (biggest selling point of T4x0s, dirt cheap and good specs). Better cooling and slightly better upgradeability for the W line (4 ram slots) and the much better screen but only if you go for a FHD screen model.

>Does it still have that PWM problem
I don't know, I have a T520 and never noticed it but always use it near max brightness levels.

Linux support. I'm still computing everything on the Intel GPU because I can't figure this shit out

>Foo Fighters
>1366x768

come ooooooooooooon

>not taping the cam

>not using the BIOS

It's not my laptop, newfags

I care about screen quality a lot.
It would sort of be used as a desktop replacement. It wouldn't be carried around daily. Can't really have an actual desktop computer now, so I'm turning to laptops.

Ah, so if you have your brightness set high, PWM is not a problem? Sorry lads, I'm a bit tired and didn't "get it" right away.

I'm not one of those 'die-hard arch or gentoo purists' but seriously... ubuntu?

It doesn't mean it's too bad for your standards.
All my other screens are IPS, and this one is the only one that doesn't hurt my eyes after 1-2 hours of constant use.
Also you can always replace it with 1920x1080 IPS one. It just requires a little bit of money.

Not having a factory optioned web-cammless T420

Nobody to chat with?

>Not having the camera pointed at your junk 24/7
Could it be that you're craving my McNuggies, Chinknovo?~

Pretty much this
It's nice to have your camera, especially when you call your friends.
>implying this faggot even has friends

There are these things called keyboards m8

you can chat with other people by typing on these things, crazy i know

>I care about screen quality a lot.
Definitely avoid the T4x0s and get a 5x0 one.

>Ah, so if you have your brightness set high, PWM is not a problem?
Yes, and even if it is you can use that program and fix it easily. Visual acuity varies a lot and while I don't notice anything wrong with mine you may do, but it's an easy fix so I wouldn't worry.

daily reminder that the t420 has one of the worst displays ever produced on a laptop