/HSG/ Home Server General

Show me your servers you cocksniffing arsepirates. We used to have regular HSG threads so let's get one going again.

Post pics, specs, uses and OS setups.

This is my little ubuntu shitbox. I use it mainly for converting videos, plex, centralised backups for all my shitposting devices and desktops and a couple of VMs.

Xeon E3 1240v2
16niggabytes of RAM
LSI SAS HBA
120gb sandisk SSD
4x4TB WD memereds which I regret
3x3TB toshibas and a 3tb external toshiba drive

The WD Reds are running a raid10 using mdadm and the toshibas are running a spanned LVM volume as backup. Planing on getting a second SAS enclosure and running the WDs spanned with a second set in the enclosure.

Other urls found in this thread:

hardforum.com/threads/ecc-check-on-intel-i3-processors.1693051/
pcpartpicker.com/b/b8LD4D
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Come on you trogs

Maybe one for /sqt/ but is it possible to set up a server 100% headlessly or will there always be a need to connect it to a physical display at some point?
I've never understood that.

Do you see a screen connected to mine?

Either you set it up with a screen and setup some sort of remote management, remote desktop, SSH or what I do is use webmin which is a web based interface to control everything.

I can do whatever I have to do from any device I'm on, phone, tablet, desktop or laptop.

Here you go, my Microserver g8.

Currently running sonarr, deluge and a plex(it's shit btw, planning on ditching it) in lxc containers

Forgot to add, once youre done you can obviously remove the screen.

Most server hardware has iLO or IPMI or whatever theyre called. Basically a dedicated ethernet port to manage the server and hardware. Accessible via browser, I can install OS, change bios settings, remote view the screen (even when there is none attached) and shutdown & power up etc.

What's wrong with plex? The only time I had trouble with it was my GFs shitty xbox but that's more to do with the application than plex itself. Even the PS3 does a fuckload of paging when loading thumbnails which brings it to a crawl when browsing my library.

I wish Plex would implement a volume normaliser though.

It doesn't play any of my media through the web browser for one. And The error message is just vague as fuck.

Oh apparently using the "plex.lan" address(works with every other device in my network) to reach the server counts as an external server so I have to login WHICH LOSES THE SERVER FOR SOME REASON

The devs are retards too, literally catering to the apple crowd.

Gonna try Emby instead soon. Just using simple Samba shares for now.

Maybe I phrased it badly, but I meant is a display ALWAYS required at SETUP? Or can the setup be done headlessly (using a network somehow)?

>tfw still waiting for a next-gen microserver

This might be a dumb question but I want a server for Plex and some coding and just to dick around with but I only have a desktop. Can I just set up a Linux distribution in a VM and make a samba share and set up Plex in there? Can I point to my local drives?

I haven't come across any of those issues my man. Are you streaming some kind of 64bit chink cartoons?

Most enterprise gear has remote administration via ethernet port so you can see the screen on another machine. On mine I can log into it through the browser, mount an .iso file from the desktop I logged in from and from there install an OS. I can remote view the screen too but it's a piece of shit java applet or .net so I only use it when I absolutely have to.

iktf

Don't think it'll happen though. It's easier and cheaper to just buy used hardware. The gen8 is going for £170 and less in some places though so I might pick up another one. It's literally cheaper to buy a gen8 microserver than some 4bay external drive solution.

Of course you can. You can share folders or drives from your OS to VMs and vice-versa.

>It's literally cheaper to buy a gen8 microserver than some 4bay external drive solution.

>add SAS pci-e card to the first one
>enjoy 8-bay NAS

VM's are in fact separate computers. It's not completely true but you can treat them as such. This means that there is functionally no difference between buying a server or launching a VM.

For learning it's really nice.

Well that's exactly what I did, look at the OP picture. It's a SAS enclosure.

Unfortunately that's the only 4bay one I could find that was a complete chink product by some no name company. I could have bought a dell powervault md1000 with 12x3.5 drive bays for probably £100 but theyre fucking loud, enormous and overkill.

Plus I hate the idea of having so much data on one device. If anything I'd have two of them and mirror them but it just costs too much to buy drives.

>inb4 1minute uptime

I always leave my desktop on so really there's no difference right? Maybe degraded performance since it's a VM?

VM overhead depends on hardware but for your use you won't notice anything.

Depending on your hardware the VM's don't have direct access to the host hardware(if you want this you'll need IOMMU, but you'll know if you need it) and the performance will be lower then barebones.

This means that you'll be prompted to use a virtual drive(just a file on the host) to use on the guest.

>Geforce 6200
[TRIGGERED]

Cool, thanks guys. Debian the go to for a basic file server / Plex?

It refuses to boot without a video card since x58 has no onboard video.
It's actually a PCI card since I was out of PCIe slots.

That was my first "gaming" card more then a decade ago. I spent money "upgrading" from a Geforce 5200. You can understand why it pisses me off.

I'm a cheap ass but here is what I got

Lenovo W520
24GB ram
750GB
VMware ESXi 6.0
DC, AD, DNS+dnscrypt, pfsense

NetGear ReadyNAS
4x4TB 16TB in RAID 5
Plex Server

CloudatCost
22 CPUs, 18GB ram, 600GB drive space
Bitcoin, Pay Per Click, Pay Per Install
OpenVPN, Tor Exit Node

I use Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS because I'm a successful white man, you know, NOT A NIGGER.

>CloudatCost
What's the catch? 35 bucks for a tor + vpn and potentially other services sounds awesome

my plex server has about 15 people on it at a time watching with no issues. Something is wrong with yours buddy.

>Uses an OS that is actually called UBUNTU
>named after a fucking nigger word
>not a nigger

Maybe you should mention if they are transcoding video or if they are streaming directly.
One h264 1080p transcode eats up about 2000 passmark points of CPU, so my regular Intel Xeon E3-1230 can only take max 4 concurrent transcodes.

also no raid or backups. i have a tape drive tho but no tapes yet.

It's a PS3 issue. It doesn't give enough ram for applications so all the thumbnails get swapped to the slow as fuck HDD. There is nothing wrong with my plex server.

>2x intel xeon x5450@ 3ghz
>32gb ram
>1,4Tb storage (4x 500gb wd)

wanted to use debris as virtualization host but I'm a Linux noon so a buddy recommended debian
now I'll setup debian with IBM to try different things

Lolis are not racists

Server/PC/Bed

What network card is that?

Whose garage do you live in?

At least get a set of sleeves for your bed you disgusting slob
Wash them weekly by hand if you're poor but do it. It'll improve your health.

Are you a bed wetter or why is that mattress yellow in the middle?

>netgear
>Pajeet sticker on server
>low energy snacks
>disgusting mattress

0/10 would not install Gentoo with

System: Host: N/A Kernel: 4.1.6-hardened x86_64 (64 bit) Console: tty 3 Distro: Gentoo Base System release 2.2
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
UEFI: American Megatrends v: 2501 date: 04/08/2014
CPU: Octa core AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
clock speeds: max: 3511 MHz 1: 3511 MHz 2: 3511 MHz 3: 3511 MHz 4: 3511 MHz 5: 3511 MHz 6: 3511 MHz
7: 3511 MHz 8: 3511 MHz
Graphics: Card: Failed to Detect Video Card!
Display Server: N/A driver: N/A tty size: N/A Advanced Data: N/A out of X
Network: Card-1: Intel 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100 driver: e100
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:02:b3:22:87:f8
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
IF: eth1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: ec:08:6b:02:03:9d
Card-3: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
IF: eth2 state: down mac: 14:dd:a9:79:8d:bd
Drives: HDD Total Size: 5153.0GB (51.0% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HMS5C4040AL size: 4000.8GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: SB_mSATA_SSD size: 16.0GB
ID-3: /dev/sdc model: Name n/a size: 16.0GB
ID-4: USB /dev/sdd model: FreeAgent_Pro size: 1000.2GB
ID-5: USB /dev/sde model: 0VE size: 60.0GB
ID-6: USB /dev/sdf model: 0VE size: 60.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 15G used: 3.2G (23%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sdb2
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 133 Uptime: 3 days Memory: 158.3/32074.3MB Init: SysVinit rc: OpenRC runlevel: default
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.4

I'm waiting on 8 6 TB drives. Is ZFS RAIDZ3 good for these drives?

How do you print information like this?

Hope you got ECC RAM in there, otherwise it should be all good.

Is there a wiki for setting up a hone server?

I've got an old tower that I want to put to good use.

inxi

The motherboard is supposed to support ECC memory. I have ECC RAM in it, but it says no handle provided in dmidecode, so I have no idea if it's working. EDAC is compiled in the kernel, and injecting an error made ce_count increment.
cat /sys/devices/system/edac/mc/mc0/ce_count

Sup Forums has a wiki you pleb

second this goy

>inxi
System: Host: proxmox Kernel: 4.4.19-1-pve x86_64 (64 bit) Console: tty 3
Distro: /etc/ corrupted, use -% to override
Machine: System: HP product: ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 serial: CZ154801TV
Mobo: N/A model: N/A Bios: HP v: J06 date: 07/16/2015
CPU: Quad core Intel Xeon E31265L (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
Clock Speeds: 1: 2400 MHz 2: 2400 MHz 3: 2400 MHz 4: 2400 MHz 5: 2400 MHz 6: 2400 MHz 7: 2400 MHz
8: 2400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Failed to Detect Video Card!
Display Server: N/A driver: N/A tty size: 166x62 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X
Audio: Card Failed to Detect Sound Card! Sound: ALSA v: k4.4.19-1-pve
Network: Card-1: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3
IF: eth1 state: down mac: b0:5a:da:87:bd:49
Card-2: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: b0:5a:da:87:bd:48
Drives: HDD Total Size: 10081.4GB (30.0% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD20EFRX size: 2000.4GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD20EFRX size: 2000.4GB ID-3: /dev/sdc model: SAMSUNG_HD204UI size: 2000.4GB
ID-4: USB /dev/sdd model: Ultra_Fit size: 15.4GB ID-5: /dev/sde model: WDC_WD40EFRX size: 4000.8GB
ID-6: /dev/sdf model: M4 size: 64.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 15G used: 2.6G (19%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
ID-2: swap-1 size: 7.92GB used: 0.05GB (1%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 431 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 1725.3/16002.7MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.1.28
Thanks senpai

also
>/etc corrupted
what
should i panic right about now?

The catch is their support.. Its shitty but then again I really haven't had too many issues so I don't need their support anyways. Connectivity sometimes gets lost but all I do is reboot and I'm fine. Personally, you can't go wrong for a one time payment in the cloud. Makes a great cheap web server. $35 one time and then Namecheap $0.88/year. Voila

Lifehacker has an article on turning old computers into servers. I use my Lenovo W520 as an esxi server and runs really well.

Also, the wiki like he suggested

Can you nuke your server and start over easily in case you fuck up bad? Because I might just use this as a learning platform for my little brother.

Absolutely. Just delete your server and spin up another one at anytime. This would be a perfect way for your brother to develop or program off of if that is what you are trying to achieve.

GNU/Server/PC/Bed

I could survive on this

It's the hygiene that ticks me off. I would live in a square room with just a computer, a bed, a desk and some of my electric tools + toilet/bathroom. But that? Fuck no.

could someone point me in the direction of a guide on setting up a home server? i have no familiarity with this sorta thing, but i think i'd like to learn.

>SAMSUNG_HD204UI
Damn

>home server

My workstation is my server.
Saves power, faster disk access, less expensive overall, smaller, less noise, less heat.

What does memtest86+ tell you?
I also have the "Error Information Handle: Not Provided" message for each Memory Bank, but a clearer indication from dmidecode --type memory should be:
Physical Memory Array
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC

also
Total Width: 72 bits
Data Width: 64 bits

shows that you have the 1 byte available for error correction.

That looks like a storage unit...

Now that you mention it.. Yeah fuck that. I prefer a comfy room and office chair as well.

Ok but do you run any server services? My Plex reaches up to 28GB of ram and my Minecraft server has reached close to 6GB so this is why I have other things hosting these services so that my workstation isn't getting blogged down.

Physical Memory Array
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
Maximum Capacity: 32 GB
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Number Of Devices: 4

Handle 0x002F, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x002D
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Total Width: 72 bits
Data Width: 64 bits

I'm assuming it's working. I never tried running these on Xeon workstations though.

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.4.0-45-generic
Uptime: 2d 8h 59m
Packages: 1077
Shell: bash 4.3.46
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 CPU @ 3.3GHz
RAM: 3467MiB / 11887MiB
basically my old desktop with few other spare parts threw in.
120gb sata for system/vms/data, 2 tb wd green for more data. 120 gb msata ssd for backups.
4 port hp branded intel gigabit nic for vms to have dedicated ports.

runs samba, deluge and vms (windows to not install/run shit on my desktop and another guiless ubuntu to mess with)

low uptime because of planned restart. i do them like once a month-two.

>Ok but do you run any server services? My Plex reaches up to 28GB of ram and my Minecraft server has reached close to 6GB so this is why I have other things hosting these services so that my workstation isn't getting blogged down.
I can if I want. I have 128GB of RAM and 44cores. I dick around with a few VMs here and there. I used to run a minecraft server (still have the files, but it's like on 1.7 or something - started it at 1.1ish). I usually consume 'media' directly on the computer, so no need to have a transcoding server or any of that. Plus all the files are shared if I want to remotely access them. Gaming is on a separate rig.

I used to have lots of systems for this, that, and other things... but a few years ago I consolidated down to save power mostly. It was cheaper to just keep one system with all my usual needs in it. Game rig is only on when I play games.

How would I go about starting and logging into my server remotely? I know theres got to be a way to do this.

user share your build right now

This thread also seems helpful: hardforum.com/threads/ecc-check-on-intel-i3-processors.1693051/

Confirms for me:
root@nasferatu ~/ecc ./ecc_check
5004-5007h: 20 20 66 3
5008-500Bh: 20 20 66 3

WoL
sshd

You're the greatest. Thanks!

>How would I go about starting and logging into my server remotely?
Setup a VPN on your router.
DD-WRT will let you do it.

>user share your build right now
pcpartpicker.com/b/b8LD4D
I know I have ES CPUs. I get berated every tiem I poast.

How does your plex reach 28GB usage? Can you elaborate on what kind of users you get?

Depends. You can either use SSH, RDP, or VNC. If you are wanting to remote into your home network from outside, you'll need a free dynamic IP or a static IP address. Then, configure port forwarding from your router to point to your server's static IP address.

I had a home server but those jerks at the FBI took it away.

On an unrelated note, vote for hillary! Shes the cyber security candidate!

./a.out
5004-5007h: ff ff ff ff
5008-500Bh: ff ff ff ff

I don't think it works with AMD processors.

It's model-specific and the registers for AMD are likely different.

I average between ~24-26 users. On slow nights, I've seen between ~4-12 users.

Intel i7 4790K OC @ 4.8Ghz
32GB DDR3 Ram
Network share to NetGear ReadyNAS with 16TB

Plan on moving it to:
2x Intel Xeon L5520 16 Cores total
48GB Ram DDR3
24TB RAID 10 SAN

How do you handle transcoding clients? I know for a fact that most users are lazy shits that once get plex access, only use the fucking browser as a player, and constantly trigger transcodes. And I don't think the 4790k can take more than 5-6 transcodes.

Who the fuck do you give it to?

>I had a home server but those jerks at the FBI took it away.

LOL. How come you aren't in federal pound me in the ass prison?

Transcoder is set to automatic. That sounds about right.. My workstation was getting slow when I had about 8 streaming at once.

Only close friends and family members I trust.

Nice build! Can't believe you found those engineer cpu samples. Going to look into those.

Thats definitely a storage unit. I can tell because of the pixels and the door

Archive is a 4x2TB RAID5 configuration for my private tracker torrents.
Horo is the leftover space on my 1.5TB boot drive. I use it as external storage for my Mac.
Storage is a 4TB drive I use for downloading on public trackers.

3x2TB actually.

I don't have any fancy server hardware or web interfaces on my home server, just a consumer Haswell build with a 4570S, managed via good ol' SSH. It's served me well so far, running 6x3TB WD Reds in RAID6, recently bought a PERC H310 and crossflashed it, will probably add 3 more drives in the future. I'm a bit worried about not having ECC and running mdadm instead of ZFS, but this was what I could get. Finding affordable server hardware (or server hardware in general) that's also power efficient and can run quietly is pretty much impossible where I live, so I'm making the best of it with what I was able to get. As for actual functionality, there's nothing that I wanted to do that I couldn't so far and it only draws like 50W too!

Did you just take a picture with your phone?

I run most of my stuff locally but I got a free $50 credit to digital ocean so started up q VPS and got ZNC working on it. What other cool stuff can I do that would be good to have on a VPS?

It's a garage, you dip!

What SAS card are you using to connect the silverstone box?

Why are you asking such a dumb question?

Where's your Backup?

External USB drive. I'm not going to pay for offsite storage. That's fucking stupid when I could just redownload all my stuff.

>Finding quiet server hardware

Almost impossible. They all use those shitty fucking 60mm fans everywhere. Apart from your average tower server which can be okayish noise wise they're built to be in their own room.

Best thing you can do is go with a case of your choosing, a supermicro board with a xeon and you have your server grade hardware.

Put the server in a closet somewhere and wire it up.

my dl380 is quieter than my normal desktop

Got a plex server on my desktop. Want to move it to it's own server, what's the most cost effective way to do that? Pre-built from ebay?

Only occasionally transcode, all my tvs are 720p,most of my stuff is mp4 so it direct plays

I kinda like super compact form factors

Doesnt have to be offsite. I've gotten a very expensive habit of buying drives in pairs and duplicating my data. I backup my 8tb raid10 array for example.

Where's the autist that bought the huge pile of shit from his school after being told they were going to pay somebody to dispose of it?