Need a new HTPC

Need a new HTPC.

Kodi (XBMC) on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B or Amazon Fire? Or something else?

Other urls found in this thread:

minix.com.hk/
jeffgeerling.com/blog/2016/review-odroid-c2-compared-raspberry-pi-3-and-orange-pi-plus
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

kodi pls, 10000000x better than anything out there ever created. The rpi3 can run kodi with ease and can playback literally every format ever created in the history of humanity.

Nigger

Kodi. I'm using OSMC on a Pi 2 and it's running smooth as fuck.

Same here. Super comfy UI

Also if you don't already know this Genesis is defunct now, use Exodus

>"""Fast""" Ethernet
>can't decode Hi10P HEVC 4K
>"""HTPC"""

Those are both shit options

Is plex a meme Sup Forums? or is it actually good to run a plex server along with a Nexus tv, some tablets, laptops, and a fire tv?

>as he watches on a 1080p screen

I'm running Plex on my server at home, it's great. Better than anything out there. Handles artwork, release date, genre, etc even if you don't have them tagged. Fast, can transcode for you if you use it over the internet, can do subtitles as well, just werkz.

What if I Freedom half my shit?

What about Intel's Skullcanyon NUC?

I'm assuming you mean pirating, which it doesn't matter, its just an organizational/streaming frontend for locally downloaded media.

Yeah its not a meme. I use mines daily

Music library needs some work (playlist import/sync from musicbee would be nice) , but cant beat being able to access all my music remotely

I run Plex Media Server for my family and our extended family like parents and more. Overall seventeen individuals with multiple devices. Works pretty good on an old i5 2500k and might even change it out for a used Xeon setup at some point for more cores. Music Library works well enough. Pictures from mobile sync to the server. Video playback is fine. Helps get you off botnet and the cloud meme. I've used it with Kodi/XBMC as well. Single biggest issue I had with Kodi is media and metadata management. Most STB's have an mSD or some onboard memory for storage and if you have a big library like I do it fills up. This was fixable in the older XBMC days by editing the config.xml to point to a networked directory that could hold it all. Thankfully there is a PleXBMC plugin so you can work around the Kodi/XBMC failures.

I've run into some slow downs and hiccups with Pi and Pi2 using Kodi. I would not advise using them to play good quality 1080p or greater. It should be fine for your 1-2Gb rips that are so torn up they're DvD's.

The Amazon Fire might be fine. If I had to buy an STB I'd look at something like the Minix stuff.

minix.com.hk/

Oh and if you want a DiY maybe try one of the better BB's rather than the Pi. There's a listing of how they all stack up.

Pi 3 Model B is way faster than the 2

I haven't tried the 3 so no clue. I'd compare it with the other boards and go from there. Assume it's competitive with many of them.

Looks like the Pi3 does well enough but is still anemic. There was another article I had at some point that had a more thorough comparison of all the boards but can't recall who did it. Anyways I found this right away.

jeffgeerling.com/blog/2016/review-odroid-c2-compared-raspberry-pi-3-and-orange-pi-plus

I see that Plex has account signup and all of that crap. Does it track you or your content? I pirate TV shows and crap.

Nope, no trace of afaik. All my shit is pirated fwiw, using it for 2 years so far

It could if they wanted to. Supposedly you really only get information like subs metadata and use it as way to connect outside your network. Most of my stuff is pirated. The point here is that my automated setup Plex never touches hide nor hair of where or how those files originated. They're renamed and stripped of release group etc even upon inspection of the file itself. They would have to match it some other way.

This, i use filebot to rename all my shit and make sure to strip mp4s of metadata

I don't think it escapes the Plex staff and company as a whole that their business is largely due to piracy. It's just a better service than doing things by the book. I get some shows earlier than they air and I get them without commercials saving me time doing it myself. I do pay for Netflix and Amazon so technically it saves me from downloading a bunch of stuff. Pretty sure that's why Comcast pushed the 1TB cap so quick across the country. They're losing their shirt and can't compete on a service level. Punish the consumer because they can get away with it instead of adapting.

Mkv's were a problem for me off and on awhile back. MP4 was easy to strip.

Oh yea, is the Plex linux server pretty good or will I be forced into using Windows to get most features?

I haven't messed with the Loonix version yet. I had a failure and tossed an old 2500k I had laying around and some drives. I Use Manjaro on my main rig. Too lazy to change it out.