AMD FX Appreciation Thread

>Inexpensive 990FX boards produced from 2011 until today that likely won't shoot up in value like X58, P67, etc
>New FX-8350 costs $150 and can be bought used for less
>Costs far less than a new Intel CPU and comes pretty close in performance

Is the FX line becoming to new Core 2 Quad for budget builders? we're still pre-Zen and the price is very good for what you get.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mj7wnRA1yDo
youtube.com/watch?v=MSkpyuLgsoI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

As long as you don't play the latest video games, AMD is fine.
In fact, it's an ideal choice for the budget conscious professional developer because it gets you ECC RAM at a low price point.

Yes. Fx 8350 is still outperforming i5 6400 despite a 3 year age gap and faster ram.

i burn my hand on my fx octomonster weekly, love it

>don't play the games that work best with AMD processors if you buy AMD processors

OK GUY WE BELIEVE YOU

>being such a loser that a difference of 50 fps is a big deal
top geg

I played dark souls 3 with a stock clocked 6320 (or whatever the six core one is) and it ran incredibly well

People overestimate the use of CPUs in most games, GPU is the main issue most of the time

Well even better then.
I don't play modern games and the FX-8350 suits me well.
I developer software, compile a lot of code, run large SQL queries, which is all integer-heavy and multi-threaded.

3.4ghz < 75watts -> 100%
4.7ghz > dying star -> 99.9%

oh amd you are so in favour of the lols

*develop even
It's 7:40 AM here.

>completely ignoring how the fx6300 is outperforming the older i5s and newer i3s
Good goy

That's the main thing the intel fanboys don't understand, 990FX is a full featured enthusiast chipset, it's better to have an 8350 on a 990FX with ECC ram for your server/video editing rig, than a faster i7 on an H170 chipset.

Not fx but I still using my X4 965.
Im surpised it has survive since 2009 especially those hot 40c summer days on the stock fan.

>not having your mom buy you the latest Intel K CPU

>completely ignoring the obvious disadvantaged of the personal desk furnace

also who buys i5 and cares about performance

>also who buys i5 and cares about performance
Then what reason to buy an i5 over an i3 or Pentium?

best one can afford

>i5 is not a mid range CPU made to deliver good performance without hyperthreading
Intel users, dude.

meh, if kids in highscool can save up for a clapped out toyota neets can save their lunchables money and buy the best gear if they cared and wanted to

has less cache, lower platforms have less memory bandwidth... i stand by my argument because it's nothing revolutionary

i5 6400 is kind of a beast, 2.7GHz and its on par with an FX 8150.

>As long as you don't play the latest video games, AMD is fine.

user, I play the latest video games on amd and it's still fine.

This, an old HD7970, or even an HD7870 with an 8350 destroys consoles.

I think 32nm CPUs in general held up well, look at laptops, a T420 sandy bridge is almost impossible to beat.

>asking your mom to buy you a hardware level botnet.

>not trusting gamespot forum recommendations
dude do u even pro game bro lmao @ ur life

muh spooky

>couple of years ago
>friend wants to build a PC
>tell him to get a intel
>"but why user? amd has much better price/performance ratio"
>tell him about my experiences with burning Athlons.
>"nah user, the new FX series is ok."
>the thing is that AMD put's so much effort into cores, not efficiency.
>instead of getting that FX 6300 get an i5 instead.
>games don't benefit from that many cores

>he got an FX 6300
>around a few months later I start browsing Sup Forums
>they rescue me from the gaymer world
>I learn the art of GNU/Linux
>I merge with Sup Forums
>around a year later.
>looking for parts to replace my old E8400 and HD 6670
>I remember my friend.
>I bought an FX 6300 and a R9 270X
>not a single regret
>not a single complaint
>sometimes when people bring up the fact that I wanted my friend to buy an intel instead, I feel like I want to die.
>recently another friend wanted a CPU upgrade
>got him a FX 6100
>he loves it
>mother wants a computer.
>old HD 6670, ITX board and a FX 4300
>she loves it.
Feels good to be part of the Glorious FX series.

Why would you buy her an fx4300 instead of a Pentium? That's just overlook overkill.

Why would you buy your friend an fx6100? Fx4300 is probably faster.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

>implying
I'm using a Athlon 860k and a rx 460, playing the newest shit @ 1080p, 60fps, high to ultra effects

>ITX board
>FX 4300
choose one
AM3+ ITX boards are non-existant

A series deserves love too

boards are expensive as fuck tho

8350 and 390x is a pretty good combo.

I mean it sucks for GTAV but then in the Vulkan renderer for Doom it performs superbly.

Most games favour GPU over CPU and the only emulator that doesn't really take advantage of its capabilities is PCSX2. (Which is a mess of an emulator anyway)

Considering you can pick them up used for like £50. You can't grumble at all.

Try arma with amd. Fucking teamred pleb

>arma
That's a non-free video game. Irrelevant.

>I mean it sucks for GTAV
Lower a few CPU heavy setting a bit and you get 70fps most of the time.

Oh dam. Gas i goofd then

got a 960 for it, maxing out bf1 no probs

The fx series has aged incredibly fucking well. I had a 6300 until 4 months ago when i switched to 6600k memelake because i'm too autistic about dwarf fortress.
For gaming, the octopussy core 8300 is proably the best bang for buck.
Now AMD, make Zen have moderately sensible single core perf and i'll instantly buy two. One for upgrading and one for having tea parties with and cuddling.

>still outperformed by a dual core pentium that's a third of the price

>outperformed
By what metric?

call me when zen is out

>tfw still rocking a FX6300

FX6300 is a really underrated CPU, good for the money, 95w tdp, high clocks.

I bought my fx-8350 in 2011 for $190 on sale, I am patiently awaiting Zen

Sitting here with my FX-8350 and Crosshair V Formula Z

Do we have any news about Zen at all?

>tfw bought an a10 unlocked apu
>tfw bought into the dual graphics meme

If I went for an 8350 for a little bit more I would be set until Zen.

FUCK

at least you can get a Zen setup and have a GPU-less machine for a home server or something

This, my 990FX board would make a beast server, but it's gotta have a GPU and even a crappy one is like 30 watts more head.

My 3270E handles any game I ask of it. Running at 4.6GHz on air. Still no idea why people say you can't play the latest games. The latest games are finally getting optimised. DOOM for example, I'm hitting 100+ FPS with a 970 at 1440p > OMG muh games.

>a10
>expensive boards

The most expensive would not be over $100. A Gigabyte mATX board I bought for a build was $50, and it supported overclocking for K-class APUs, though it didn't support Richland out of the box (had to go back to the shop to reflash the BIOS for me, which thankfully was free).

a low power gpu in idle clocks? don't think so

yeah once games get proper 8 core support like BF1 and Doom, FX shows its true power

pssh, nothing perssonnell kid *unsheaths cores*

youtube.com/watch?v=mj7wnRA1yDo

fucking lol
youtube.com/watch?v=MSkpyuLgsoI
>gets beaten by a fucking i3
AAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA

>cherry picking single threaded games

>arma
>single threaded

>990FX
>inexpensive
this meme has to die, they're expensive.

compare to a game that actually takes advantage of a more powerful cpu like GTA V
the FX gets absolutely btfo by even the 2500k

An i3 that cost 20% more.

meanwhile the I3 runs much cooler and draws no where near as much power

you cant defend the fx, its just fucking terrible

The fact that you feel the need to compare the fx6300 to a skylake i3 instead of the Ivy bridge i3 it was originally competing against is proof enough of how great it's aged and how it's better than an i3 even now since its also unlocked.

Video games are irrelevant.

I was comparing the fx 8370, cunt

Yeah not really. Multithreaded performance, sure. The FX series are the best bang for buck by miles in that case. But in single threaded performance they are waaaay behind, they use stupid amounts of power when overclocked (which is necessary to squeeze out performance), plus the platform is ancient by now so you don't get as many features as newer motherboards have.

They have their place, particularly if you're running heavily threaded applications (i.e. not most games).

Depends on where you draw the line of modern games. Last gen and late sixth gen games work terribly on processors which favor number of cores above clock speeds.

that's like 5 bucks a year you damn child

problem is, sandy bridge is no longer on the market. piledriver is.

???

$200 for cpu and motherboard isn't expensive.

And if you invest another $60 in a cooler, you can run it at 4.5GHz

ive had mine since they launched ran stock for a while until games and other shit started needing more power

have mine running slightly over 4.5ghz with a max vcore of 1.344 i can run faster but its not worth the house fire temps because of the higher voltage requirement

>150
>i5 3470 is like 100
No point.

FX were pretty shitty desu.
>not much improvement from Phenom II X4 and X6

Waiting for Zen now, hope they can save us all.

>not getting 150$ processor and running damn near as fast as a far more expensive cpu

its like you dont even belong here or something

>that's like 5 bucks a year you damn child

That's a subway sandwich I'll never eat
A little caesar pizza I'll never taste
1 big mac I'll never get to buy

if you are so poor that your computers power draw effects your life in such a way you should probably consider re evaluating your life

I wish I could get an FX but by the time I need a new PC, Zen will be out.

No one has rich parents like you user-desu

I'd go AMD if I could find a Micro ATX board that didn't look terrible.

this argument is retarded, if i had rich parents like you say id have gotten some super mega i7 1000$ monstrosity cpu.

im just reasonable with money while not being rich or poor, hence overclocked fx chip

Thats way too fucking much for a 2500k

>buy intel cpu
>overclock
>instant housefires

what the fuck intel

I'd rather get good performance out of a cpu and have the longevity that the 2500k does.

The fx cpus are bad since the architecture is so old and wasn't even good when it came out.

>sandy vagina botnet chip

nothx

>amd poorfag making up excuses.
Exactly what I'd expect

>As long as you don't play any games at all, AMD is fine.
fxd

Privacy and multithreaded performance is more important than video games

>not running cheap 2670 xeons.

Lol

>not getting 150$ processor and running damn near as fast as a far more expensive cpu

its like you dont even belong here or something

>mfw I meant $50

X58 was a great platform but you have no usb 3.0 and the cpus have like a 130w TDP anyway.

Based Vishera bump.

is that stock cooler ?

I got the h100i gt for my lil bro's gaming rig and I have yet to go overclock it , I plan on reaching 5.2

This. I've had a Phenom II for five years and the FX hasn't been worth the upgrade (I care about single-thread performance and power/fan noise). I'll just wait until Zen and then upgrade either to it or to Intel, depending.

Bullshit. I had a 460 before it shit itself. at 1080p your doing medium-high at best. If it's something like fallout, your not going above medium.

Bullshit.

Not that user but I've got a 460. Runs gta v and bf1 on ultra 60fps 1080p.

>Is the FX line becoming to new Core 2 Quad for budget builders?
Core 2 Quad was never a "budget" option. Once Deneb was released, there was no reason to buy anything LGA 775. The sole exception to that would have been finding a great deal Ebay. Phenom II had a higher OC ceiling on air, better IPC to begin with, DDR3 support, etc. It was also significantly cheaper. For that matter, FX isn't much better in terms of IPC than Phenom II. In many ways, FX was competitive with Sandy Bridge, but building a new FX system in a world with a $180 i5 6400 is questionable. There are niche applications, but generally, it'd be a mistake for most users to opt for AMD.

They're actually not easy to kill. CPUs in general aren't. There are S478 Prescotts still running, and those things were my generation's GTX 480.

No, it doesn't. AMD should have released something on par with or better than the custom chip that shipped with the PS4, but they never did. To make things interesting, I'd need to see AMD release a line of boards with integrated HBM alongside Zen-based CPUs with onboard GPUs ranging from HD78xx to HD79xx levels of performance. I think that's what they're planning to be fair, but it hasn't happened yet.

>sandy bridge is no longer on the market
The used market is still a market, and used Sandy/Ivy is a good purchase for the right price.

They really did. Part of that was how big of a performance bump that came with the later 32nm chips, and also the slow pace of performance improvement + increased heat from the generations directly following it.
I'm still using my 2500k, that I bought new shortly after release, overclocked and perfectly adequately.

45nm isn't doing too bad either.
I7 870 here, still performing great.

Lynnfield and bloomfield were great back then, breaking 4ghz on air, faster memory actual 4 core dies.