Was USB-C a good idea?

Was USB-C a good idea?

>people still producing various peripherals use USB-A
>people still producing zip diskettes use USB-A
>people still producing external hard drives for the most part use USB-A
>the only people using USB-C are dongle manufacturers

It has a long way to go until it can be considered a "good idea".

USB-C is a great idea.

USB-C alone in a expensive laptop with one/few ports in 2016 is mind boggling stupid.

>only a handfull of peripherals have adapted usb 3 since its introduction
>already moving on to a new standard
>same shit happening with hdmi, 2 just released and now 2.1 is the new standard
Im all for progression but these people need to sit down and really decide what the next generation of electronics needs before jumping into a new standard. It appears really anti consumer.

Too soon, and it's not even a "future-proof" laptop to justify it

Yes but not yet. Older standards need to really be on their way out before you start implementing new ones.

I think pretty soon we're going to see most peripherals come with interchangeable connectors.

In general? Yes.

Current application of it on current technological development of devices and rate of adoption?

ABYSMAL.

As long as you keep USB 3 ports for backwards compatibility. It's too early to ditch them. People are going to be upset.

Was good on paper, bad in practice with the whole thunderbolt compliance thing.

And a lot of peripherials dont need 10 Gbit/s speed

USB C is mich better for getting USB 3.0 on small devices than that shitty wide jack.

yes but laptops can't just have a single USB-C port, they need at least 3

wow, i hate USB-C now

It was.
I hope aplel's new computers help push the industry forward with usb-c. you know the only reason people don't use it is because it's not widely used.

This

Fuck backward compatibility.

No. Small central tongues in receptacles are not and never have been a good idea.

Yes. Single USB-C? No.

USB Type-C is a port specification. You can run any protocol on it, USB 1.0 or 2.0 if you want, analog audio, high bandwidth video, host to host networking. The spec allows for device and cable manufacturers to do pretty much anything they want with the pins as long as it doesn't blow shit up.

pic related, straight from the usb.org packaging guidelines.

Basically this. Had they put the same ports array as the xps 15 I'd have bought one so quick, but no hey let's put the same exact port everywhere on a 5k€ laptop and also make sure that dongles work like shit.
>inb4 sauce
Look up the Rossman livestream

you're one of those people who should just be killed.

>people complaining about single USB ports
you guys are such off topic, easily baited faggots that it's no wonder trolls fuck with you

a lot of peripherals don't need USB 2.0 speeds but they use USB 2 anyway

This.

USB-C is great. Having ONLY USB-C, at this time, well that's... courageous. Before its time, certainly. They're probably banking on the cachet of people saying they were 'ahead of their time' in 10 years.

Just for reference for those who were born too late: it took something like a decade for USB to really become ubiquitous.

This is kind of like bringing out a machine in 1997 with only USB ports. Having USB ports, great, fantastic, definitely do that. Not having anything else? Borderline reckless at that time.

I do however think USB-C will replace type A connectors completely over the next 5-10 years, once the price of the compatible PHYs drops (and considering the one I have on my desk, that process is due to start pretty soon).

USB-C is a great idea, making it your only port is fucking retarded. Imagine if Apple had done this last gen with Thunderbolt 2 ports.

For phones it is.
For laptops its fucking stupid.

>dongle manufacturers
nigger most dongle manufacturers use USB A retard

I'd even say in 2 years it'll be at least the more common of the two, but you're right, in 2016/2017 (at least early 2017, only time will tell from then one), using only USB-C is madness.
Peripherals will only be made for USB-C when theres a decent user base, there will only be a decent user base when there are a lot of people using it, and there will only be people using it when there are things to use it on, and people will only use that product when its compatible with all the shit they currently use as well.

'If you build it, they will come' is a farce.

>USB-C is great. Having ONLY USB-C, at this time, well that's... courageous. Before its time, certainly
Apple copped a lot of stick when they went exclusively USB on the first iMacs but that doesn't look so "courageous" now, does it?
They might be right, they may be not. time will tell.

Go fuck yourself faggot. Why are you even on this board.

>zip diskette
You fucking what?

To some extent, it's a good idea for example dongles and it creates uniform between all ports. It can be a pretty shitty idea too when it comes to cost and convenience in the future, it will be worth it because of upcoming tech. IMHO the future holds answers none of us will be able to predict on the spot. follow the crypt Zozzle.

Should phones have USB-C?
Apple obviously won't do that bc they're proprietary jews and want people who design accesories to pay

I agree, data stick sounds much better.
Just rolls off the tongue.

I read zip diskette as zip disk.

It's a meme, you dip.

Hell yes, it was a good idea.

Take a moment to understand and appreciate the massive stimulating effect Apple's manufacturing of a given technology has on the success and proliferation of that technology. Not only is the Macbook Pro one of the world's most popular laptops, producing both direct demand (people buy Macbooks and want USB-C peripherals) and indirect demand (other manufacturers follow Apple's lead, people see the new connector and like it, etc), but the sheer scale of Apple's R&D on something like USB-C has staggering implications, recouping investments for suppliers, and allowing parts prices to drop to and manufacturing processes to be refined across the entire industry.

USB-C is the future, and its ubiquity has just been accelerated by several years because of Apple. You're all fucking welcome.

I am literally seeing firewire, lightning and thunderbolt everywhere I look

Firewire is a legitimate exception, because it came before Apple released the iPod and started to become relevant again.

Lightning, I don't think, was ever intended to be anything other than a connector for the iPhone. Otherwise, it'd be on the Macbooks instead of USB-C. (By the way, you're welcome for the standardized, non-proprietary port you're all completely ignoring).

As for Thunderbolt... I have no idea what Thunderbolt's deal is. I can only think that, as long as USB-A was present alongside it on Macs, people opted for the cheaper, more ubiquitous connector, and the tech never got the chance to hit critical mass.

USB-C is a very different story from all of these. It's already on some phones, it's already on some other laptops (in varying degrees of implementation), and now it's the sole port on one of the world's most adopted laptop lines. Mark my words, USB-C's attach rate is about to explode like a pile of Note 7's.

Am I really the only one that calls it a USB?

I was in a PC shop this afternoon. I saw a display of Belkin dongles for USB-c. They are about A$10 more than the Apple dongles.
So much for OEMs sheltering under Apple's price umbrella.

>Am I really the only one that calls it a USB?
Nope. Every woman I know does the same.
Must be a hormone thing.

belkin is the apple of accessories . They'll charge you 100 dollars for an ipad cover

They made the accessories market piss angry when they got rid of the 30pin for the new lightning connector. They are just holding back the USB-C for phones just for the moment.

Thunderbolt is the mini-display port. It is a down size replacement for hdmi and vga on the macbooks.

>apple
>research and development of usb type c
stop reading mac rumors

>Lightning, I don't think, was ever intended to be anything other than a connector for the iPhone.
That kind of sucks, because it's a genuinely good connector and should be the standard for USB. I imagine it's a fairly expensive connector, though. As for Thunderbolt, it wasn't intended to replace USB at all. It's more of a FireWire replacement that's meant for high bandwidth devices, but the general public doesn't have any of those so it has low adoption. In enterprise workstations it's actually fairly popular.