Happy Samsung/Hitachi user

>happy Samsung/Hitachi user
>Seagate/WD always problematic. Toshiba also meh
>need more drive space
>look for a new HDD
>Samsung branch bought by Seagate, Hitachi by WD
what the fuck am i supposed to buy now? Seagate completely fucked up Samsung HDDs but what about HGST? can i trust HGST?

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

so HGST is solid?
okay, it's not like i have any options for anything bigger than 2TB anyway

Yes hgst is solid. They still are independent from wd as far as decisions and designs. Wd stole the Gold line from hgst, in fact.

Seagate have never given me problems. WD and Toshiba have in spades.

5 rupees have been deposited in your account

And 5 shekels into yours.

Always go with hgst and WD, Toshiba is full of rebrand and refurbished so nope for Toshiba and don't even think buying Seagate.

>almost 2017
>HDD

WD is shittier then Seagate now, but the only real option is HGST.

Hitachi/HGST: usually reliable but loud and slow
Seagate: The ones I had are working fine
WD: Multiple of their drives died slowly, so I could recover the data. Was a shame though
Toshiba: one old 60GB one has stuck platters, the new 320GB ones that I used seem fine and fast
Samsung: shit

Are there usually any good 2-3 TB drive sales around black friday? I'm running a seagate from 2011, still going strong but it worries me. Backing up to an external 2 TB WD right now.

>WD HDD
>problematic
Not if you buy Blues/Blacks.

I run 1tb WD Black for 35k hours - zero issues.
And have dead Seagate 500gb that didn't even clock 5k hours. it's lottery.

weirdly enough in same boat as the OP, how are HGST 3TB ones? Or should I get WD Red? which supposed to be for long term storage

Most mech DOAs and early failures are shipping-related.

Get two cheap 3TB drives. Do mirroring. Do optical and/or cloud backups of anything you absolutely cannot afford to lose. If they hit three years with no bad/reallocated sectors, pull them, sell them on Ebay, and replace them to avoid eating the full failure cost yourself. Drives fail. Some fail in three years. Some fail in ten. There are many, many components from many, many different firms in a single drive. Brand does not accurately predict failure rates. Exact model sometimes does, but 99% of you won't bother to research the exact model you're buying, and the sheer number of models out at once is astronomical. Surges can damage a drive, and most people don't bother to use adequate surge protection. Even drive firmware (see WD Greens) can kill otherwise good drives early.

>he doesn't write random data to his drive for a week before using it
considering the vast majority of faulty drives fail in their first year of use you deserve everything you get.

That depends on what blue drove you get. WD shifted around their branding and I think the Green got merged into the blue line iirc. Model numbers should be the same though.

This!

I always fill my new hard drives with random data half a dozen times, then do a complete surface test. I've NEVER EVER had a hard disk crap out on me after it passed this test. Not even WD!

Agreed. Have had blue HDD for about 6 years now. Used to be my OS was on it for 5 of the years. Solid performance unlike Seagate; had 3 drives fail on me 3 days in a row. Managed to get the third one running, still. But, fuck that brand otherwise.

I pulled the trigger on this because it was almost free
I hope it last at least till massive storage SSDs become affordable and this drive will be most disposable storage/powerseed crap for private trackers anyways

Also, the speeds on that thing are like 200% faster than my WD/HGST drives (230mb/s)

Nope, I have had 3 Seagate drives in the last 6 months all failed within hours of turning them on. I had them send me new ones each time and they were all bullshit refurbished ones which failed after 1-3 months. I now use them as door stops and I buy WD I still have a 2TB Green running for almost 10 years and a 4TB Black that has been pumping away fine. Every drive failure I've had on our client machines have been Seagate drives and I've had 10 in the last 3 months piss poor quality and I will never buy from those assholes again. I've never spent so much time and money on shipping broke dick drives back to a manufacturer only to receive another that fails in exactly the same way. Fuck seagate.

So it's Seagate's fault that you got screwed by a retailer, who sent you recertified garbage for full price, that all kept failing within days?

Riiight...

No shit head, the warrenty was only honored by seagate. Every replacement came directly from seagate own facility. There is a reason I won't buy from them anymore.

got at least 5 ancient Seagate drives from 3GB to 80GB in a drawer. All still work fine

> but what about HGST? can i trust HGST?
I think you can. I work in the mid-sized webdev company, we host ~30 sites while each of them getting 5 to 50 hits per second 24/7. There are at least six racks filled with servers, maybe more, and we always purchase HGST drives for the new servers. Their faulty rate is really low, maybe one drive per year shits the bed, or even less.

>230MB/s on an older Seagate Barracuda
I call bullshit. The 2 and 3TB Seagate 7200rpm drives never peak above 210MB/s, and that's on the outer-most area of the platter. The average drive speed on the first half of the platter is 160MB/s.

>older
I got it 2 days ago
But I only have 37mb/s internet anyways, why give a fuck about that

>DM001
That's the older Desktop model. It's not going to reach 230MB/s even on a good day.

HDD are fucking disposal garbage since mid 2000s.

QC went to shit due to massive price pressure from solid-state media. It didn't help that PMR is less reliable and more suspect to failure then previous LMR tech (back when HDD were build like tanks could last almost continuous running for 10 years)

There is currently a stack of 7 Seagate barracudas on my desk at work, all dead after like 15k hours.
Western digitals bought at about same time are fine.
The only Seagate I ever bought personally was a 1tb USB external and it died in a year.
So yeah I'm a WD fanboi because I've had maybe one die on me ever and will happily take my shilling shekels.

Yeah ancient ones have probably better build quality but when I buy a 6TB sever grade HDD I expect it to last longer than a month at a time. I had a WD from 15 years ago (the little passport series) and that little fucker was a tank! Even when it was giving up the ghost it still gave me enough time to move the data before it failed. I do not like SSDs for primary storage for this exact reason. When things get twitchy you can still have half a chance to save them. With SSDs they just go Ke-rshit and that's it.

This guy gets it! Seagate just can't cut it anymore. My WDs have been bumping for well over 5 years of continuous operation with only a few hiccups due to brown outs but even then they still came back.