/SQT/ - Stupid Questions Thread

/SQT/ - Stupid Questions Thread

I'm Fucking Drunk Edition

Last thread: If you can't be bothered to Google it

Then this thread is for you!
Post your simple/stupid questions here, ONCE
You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Please redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

If you can't tell if your question deserves it's own thread, it's very likely it doesn't. Post it here, we'll let you know.

Other urls found in this thread:

community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Spotify-excessively-writing-to-drive-in-my-case-an-SSD/td-p/1365378/highlight/true
quora.com/Is-there-a-way-to-extract-the-automatically-generated-subtitles-in-YouTube
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How do I keep these fucking turds permanent? they disappear when I reboot

Is it normal for Nightly to use a gigabyte of memory for 14 tabs?

I don't think that is bad at all user.

It is when you're on a toaster with only three gigabytes to go around!

Shoot man. Maybe you should go for a lighter browser? Or get a few extra GB of memory.

Please answer my original question. Is it supposed to do that, are these "the breaks" of it being 64bit?

Sorry man I am probably not the best. I assume that is regular, no way it could do less. 1GB for 14 tabs is not bad at all.

Check out "The great suspender" chrome addon,it should help

I remember having a picture book about ant-people and corn/maize, and it had nice illustrations I'd like to see again. Anyone know what if might be called?

What are some alternatives to quickpic?

leafpic

>evernote turned jew
>onenote feels delayed and wonky
Any other recommendations?

is google slow for anyone else? thought it was my laptop but my phone is slow too

What a coincidence, I just tried to search something and had google hang on me.

Is this fixable before i buy i new drive?

When i try opening iso bigger than 4gb shit just get corrupted and forcing a recheck also fails with a Cyclic Redundancy Check fail.

Is there a way to make Debian GNU/Linux software work on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD?

No. Shut it down until you have the new drive.

what is the best free vpn to use?

What is the best free equalizer that I can download my headphones have too much treble

Welp rip in pepperonis seagate drive

2012-2016

;_;

Recommend me some gud 2tb drives.

Yea the drive is on it's last limbs. Do as the user said and leave it off, transfer all your important documents ASAP.

None. Get a PIA subscription it's like $40 a year or $6.50 a month, trust me it's worth it.

I have an .mkv file with a separate .ass subtitle file. I'd like to combine the two without re-encoding or hardcoding, just add another subtitle stream. The .mkv already has 2 French subtitles inside the container. I used

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -i subtitles.ass -c:s ass -c:v copy -c:a copy output.mkv

When I do this, the English subtitles I'm trying to add don't get added, but one of the French subtitle streams get deleted. What am I doing wrong? Preferably I'd like to delete both French streams as well but I don't really care.

No issues for me, pretty much instant.

No clue what you are doing wrong, but just use mkvmerge to do it, it makes muxing extremely easy (and all it does is generate the proper command line for you).

I'm looking for the smoothest (probs not Elementary, though I don't mind macOS) gui for a linux distro, happy to take suggestions. I will be working through SCIP on it (I'm currently a professional LAMP stack dev and make a decent living, but looking to up my skills back to software engineering for better pay and job enjoyment). Any suggestions (not mint or ubuntu generic whatever....)?

not really
There's icloud, but that's about it

Hey guys, I'm fixing this laptop for someone and I'm trying to figure out what the issue is.

In safe mode it works perfectly. When booting normally, it takes forever to load into the desktop, and then once in the desktop after having loaded for minutes, doing simple tasks makes it freeze within a minute or two. Completely frozen, have to power it off by force. Can't figure out what's going on. It's windows 10 by the way.

Are there specific services that run normally which might be causing it? Things that normally DO NOT run in safe mode (with networking). Trying to narrow down what it is.

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -i subtitles.ass -map 0 -map 1 -c copy output.mkv

Changing my cpu, mobo, and ram tomorrow. Will I need to reinstall my os or will it be fine?

thanks I just used the GUI and it's pretty simple. I would still like to learn my way around ffmpeg though.

Uninstall your chipset drivers and do a full restart before replacing. Make sure it's completely gone. That shit can get stuck in your task scheduler if you interrupt it. Once it's gone, change parts and install the new chipset driver. Again, make sure nothing interrupts the process. Don't try to install it more than once. Just restart afterwards.

hard drive is bad you moron
run hard drive diagnostics from the bios

Not him but how the fuck does that mean his hard drive is failing? It's not like safe boot does not use the hard drive.

Alright thanks!

bump by poster

What are some good lockscreen apps? The Sup Forums wiki doesn't say much about ricing lockscreens. I'm looking for something minimalistic that won't block out my lockscreen wallpaper.

Is it worth waiting for the 1080 ti at full price, or should I just get a 1080 during the holiday sales?

how to check how many bytes an application has written windows
specifically I want to check how much data spotify has written to my SSD to check if I'm effected by this bug ( community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Spotify-excessively-writing-to-drive-in-my-case-an-SSD/td-p/1365378/highlight/true )

Is there anything out there that can listen to a YouTube video and write it down in Word or something similar?

quora.com/Is-there-a-way-to-extract-the-automatically-generated-subtitles-in-YouTube

literally first link

probably an easier way to do this though

Hard drives don't just automatically not boot when they're going bad you idiot. Bad sectors are a thing.

He said it boots up but takes a long ass time. it hangs or freezes or something, but in safe mode it works fine. Safe mode accesses the same user accounts and shit, How could that be hard drive related retard?

Not sure how you can check what a specific program has written but if you install Crystal Disk mark you can see a general one.

Also maybe try Spotify on your regular browser, if you have an ad blocker you basically have a free premium lol.

I thought of that
But the video doesnt have auto-generated subtitles, though.

I'm wanting to buy a teensy 2.0 but I'm not a fan of the mini usb connector, would i be able to solder that one off and replace it with a micro usb?

I recently got a subscription to codecademy to learn code. I guess I'm going to try to learn everything in 'full stack'.

Is this a good resource? Can anyone recommend any books on the topic of Web design or any other resources?

How do you feel about html/css, Javascript, j query, and the whole ruby package? Is there any you suggest I start with first? Are there any other good coding languages to compliment these?

Thanks.

Sounds like a pain in the ass

Is stock voltage ok for 4.0ghz on a 6600k with a hyper 212evo? Is bios auto OC shit? I heard it's a bit too generous with the voltage.

I've been having issues with cinnamon and screentearing. From what I understand its fairly common, any environments that won't do this?

A pain in the ass I'm alright with. Is it compatible though? Are the pins in the right spots for a seamless integration?

Everyone loves Unity and KDE. Try those, I guess.

So guys I've learn a bit of C at uni. Mostly basic things like arrays and dynamic memory. Should I move to another language or keep learning more C? Any good sources for learning more of them?

thanks buddy

What NAS should I get? It needs to be compatible with Plex and preferably, I can remotely tell it to download torrents.

Got my CCNA and one year experience as network admin at a small DC that's all catalyst.

Need to start getting more cisco certs before mine expires. Should I branch out to CCNA datacenter and drink the nexus koolaid along with R&S, or just stick to R&S?

Fuck voip/wifi/corporate windows IT guy bullshit.

pls help

Just watch the video and write your essay user.

is 71 C° an acceptable temperature for CPU under heavy load for extended periods of time? (playing videogames for hours)

yes

Thanks I was starting to worry

Stock cooler?
Yes.

AMD?
Yes.

Aftermarket HSF?
Not at all.

Fineeeee...

for skylake don't go over 1.35-1.4 vCore for daily usage. for 4.0ghz, it shouldn't really go over 1.2, but stability does vary from chip to chip. best suggestion: put in a little time and effort to do testing with different manual voltages to see what the lowest vCore you can get to for a certain speed. this will be the best option for the health of your chip

A seedbox can do all that with better download speeds than your connection

I have two SATA 6-pin outlets open on my PSU, and my 1070 takes one 8pin connector to power it.

what adapters do I need to make this happen?

(am about to buy two 6-pin male to 6-pin male and connect them to the dual 6-pin female to 8 pin male that the 1070 comes with, but not sure that will be okay)

it all depends on what your goal is

but the shortcodes in the subject field for fuck's sake, god damn you people are like fucking mongoloids

There's no real disadvantage in learning new languages. It is also very common to learn somehing that you throw away after a couple of years. Because you're in uni right now if you're goal is to get hired, try checking job postings and see what common languages and tools are being asked. You can learn them but still expect them to be different after you've graduate

I'm a .net developer but I would like to get into freelancing on the side. Preferably making websites. How would I go on about this? What arebthe industry standards? I know some basic Html, css and php and very little ruby but I feel like compared to writing software there is a lot of technologies involved in creating a modern, functioning website. Could you recommend a first step for me? Is freelancing in .net worth it? Favorite freelancing site?

I have problems with my mouse, just finished a new build and did a clean install of windows. Windows thinks my g400s is a standard ps2 mouse and i cant uninstall the ps2 shit cause it keeps reinstalling after every boot. Now the mouse has a mind of its own and continuesly moves around and right clicks. G400s works fine on other pc so its definitely my pc. Google gives me fuck all and Logitech as nothing on their site

is it a good idea to you Hotspot VPN?

Particularly alongside TOR

Is it possible to restrict an autohotkey script to a program with a specific exe name? I want the ctrl-Z on my tablet to only work in Photoshop, but Photoshop's window name always becomes whatever document is open and its status (e.g. "document.psd @ 50% Layer 2"). If I could restrict the script to any program whose exe is "Photoshop.exe" though it would work.

Bought a used Thinkpad T440 that won't charge unless the laptop is off. Found online that it might be a BIOS issue but I can't find instructions on how to fix this no matter how much I google. It's not a port or charger issue, can anybody help?

use winget to get the process name and then an if statement to match it

I have an LG Tribute 5 that I bought over the summer as a quick replacement after my previous phone broke. Unfortunately, I can't work again until summer. Is there any way to upgrade this thing to Marshmallow or Nougat?

I'm running three monitors on my 980ti, 2 older 60Hz models and one 165Hz. Games are working fine, but when i try to watch some movie, i'm getting video tearing and shit (sound's fine). Switching the 165Hz one to 60Hz seems to fix the issue for movies, my question is if fucking around with refresh rate too often can't cause damage to the display eventually?

Creating a store in PHP. How do I transfer data from my database and display it in a different php file? I have a seperate .php file for the thumbnail and it includes the name, description and image. Can I also store images in a database? Thanks.

switching between refresh rates shouldn't hurt anything

thx senpai

My brain is fried, sorry. I can reference the name row, but I reference the entire row. How do I selectively choose certain rows? I know the ID, etc.

Dunno much about php but the shitty way is to save the image as an html base64 string, this is a very very long string. The more legit way is to have a cloud storage and save the location of that file like a url

Why is heat considered bad to chips and computers in general, but when people (de)solder ICs and other components from to and from motherboards, these are fine? A soldering iron can get up to temperatures far greater than regular system heat.

If its not prolonged in heat its safe
Another reason is not specific to the IC itself. Too much heat equivalently weakens the solder lead that the IC is attached on

You said is yourself: Heat is used to desolder things. Excessive heat can cause components to desolder themselves over time.

Also pic related: Some components cannot handle high temperatures for long periods of time.

Help setting up SDL and Code Blocks please?

When it tries to build the file it has a shitload of undefined references

PNY's Acronis drive clone for SSD utility sucks shit and doesn't fucking work.

Can I just dd some partitions over in a Linux environment? Or does it have to be a full bit by bit copy of the drive? (I want to exclude a larger data partition and just copy the OS one)

Which of the 5 or whatever other unlabeled Windows partitions are necessary?

Thanks.

Fuck me I'm using SFML, sorry.

is this a good rig? i bought it for very cheap. gpu is r9 280x

cheap isnt a number

like 450$ for whole rig

Meh

Eh its okay for 450, 400 or less would have been cheap

I just got a new PC using a Gigabyte MX170 Gaming 5 mother board. I am trying to install windows 7 using a bootable usb key but I am getting an error about not being able to find DVD/USB drivers when I click install.

Apparently I need to install SATA/raid drivers but the problem is none of my USB keys are recognized in the file manager to select the drivers. They are recognized in the bios to boot but once I have booted nothing works including the USB 2.0 ports.

The gigabyte support site has a tool called Windows Image tool that is supposed to do something with it but I just get a "Cannot find boot.wmi" error.

I am trying to create my own bootable ISO on them now but I doubt it will fucking matter because once booted it won't be recognized.

Is using a live USB to download to the HD the solution? if so what do you recommend as something light weight with a web browser and easy to use file manager so I can download the folders/files to my HDD where they are recognized?

how do I run a python script everytime I open the code

helloworld.py

it opens in in geany I am using Ububtu btw

The issue is that the windows 7 installer does not have support for USB on skylake chipsets, you need to patch the installer or install it some other way like from a DVD drive.

I've got a galaxy S5 that has been doing some weird shit with the screen. Takes multiple tries to unlock sometimes and get weird bars that show up when it won't turn on or I turn off the screen. It also flashes green if I set it to low light.

I want to say the screen is going bad but the AMOLED is less than a year old (replaced it after I dropped and broke it). The issue with turning back on seems to happen less when my battery is lower. Could a bad battery possibly cause this? Would prefer to just replace the battery before a screen again since it does not hold a charge for shit anymore.

How would I patch the installer?
I'm using a pirated version. It's in ISO format but the tool gigabyte provides just gives me that boot.wmi error.