/SQT/

/SQT/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Last Thread:
Two Threads Back:

If you can't be bothered to Google it

Then this thread is for you!
Post your simple/stupid questions here, ONCE
You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Please redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

If you can't tell if your question deserves it's own thread, it's very likely it doesn't. Post it here, we'll let you know.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/v8JBTH
pastebin.com/HdRW4ZD8
salon.com/2014/08/04/is_this_the_future_of_sex_what_i_learned_from_trying_a_remote_controlled_robotic_sex_toy/
youtube.com/watch?v=lUlP_l3odjo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how do i delete an non-empty directory through terminal?

rm -rf directory

rm -r [directory]

How can I make config files persistent on a live usb distro ?

I thought about putting the files in the persistent partition and make symlinks to them. But I'll have to remake all those symlinks after each reboot, right ?

So, do I have to change the iso so it runs a script during boot ?
Or is there an easier way ?

When I used liveUSB putting ubuntu onto a live USB, it did it automatically

OP let's manage SQT together. I am last threads OP, we can probably make a better post as well. We can take turns updating the thread and answering questions and shit.

Setting up a Wangblows backup drive. Would there be any reason to use NTFS if I'm just backing up files to it? My understanding was NTFS is only used if you want to install (Windows) programs to it, otherwise exFAT would be ideal for compatibility.

tried to load a plug in to photoshop and this popped up

virtualPhotographer NO VERSION - - from the file “virtualPhotographer”
virtualToBatch NO VERSION - - from the file “virtualToBatch”

what do

Using the power plan options for windows I set my CPU capacity from 0% to 99% to avoid the self-overclocking.

I do this under the impression that it can keep my laptop cooler. Is this correct?

having trouble installing a filter to photoshop cc 2015

rmdir

you just have to believe in yourself.

that's a stupid idea. Just make a new thread when it reach the bump limit or if you see the thread doesn't exist.
It's not like the flt or some other thread where you might have basic questions or needs to tutorials...

If you want a better post, tell people to kill themselves if they don't google their questions first

Ok

Girlfriend went to another country to do 6 months of computer science. Going to join her next week. What would be a nice present ? I need more ideas.

AAAH FRANKIE SINATRA
AAAAH FRANK SINATRA

Hey guys. What software do i have to get to create an ios fighting game? I have most of the design and concepts written out. I know people that can help me with the music, animation and art, but what program (or language?) do i have to use?

Will changing my hostname in Arch Linux harm anythin?

Are there any downsides to using internal hard drives as an "external" hard drive with a SATA to USB cable, from a reliability and convenience standpoint?

I'm going to do a clean install on my laptop but the only extra hard drive I have is the one I replaced with an SSD, so I plan on just using cloning software to put all my data from my SSD to the HDD because I can't be assed to go through every little file I want to save.

gaming pc

objective-c ?

no

it shouldn't work if the directory isn't empty.

How much can explorer.exe be customised? How difficult is it?

There are many things I don't like about it, but most of the ones I saw in seem too messy, as if every feature needs to be visible in the main window. Can they be customised to hide most of these features?

I am trying to pin firefox portable to the quick launch bar but it keeps opening different instances of the browser, the icon doesn't change to replace it with the active window.

I ran into this problem before and fixed it, how do I do this again? I am guessing the exe I pin is a launcher but the other 2 exes in subfolders launch a default browser without my real profile (no favorites, etc).

what's a good case for 2-way sli setup? Currently have an h440, but theres zero clearance between the bottom card and the psu shroud.

How do I cast a Youtube video to my Android TV from Firefox on my PC? Pic related.

No. Most if not all external HDD drives on sale are just SATA HDDs with a SATA to USB adapter.

Adblock plus in firefox is fucking up Youtube, however it's fine in Chrome, but fuck Chrome

How to fix

Already thought about it when zen comes. The problem is that she lives on a small place and a laptop is just better for everything. She already have a laptop.

How can I have a bunch of random people go to my web dev project and just submit a bunch of random votes/polls so i have data to work with?

livepoller.herokuapp com

>Already thought about it when zen comes. The problem is that she lives on a small place and a laptop is just better for everything. She already have a laptop.

gaming laptop :DDD

Is there any downside of buying a micro atx motherboard?

I am on a new PC win7 (GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5) and getting clicks or quick pops when a sound starts playing (windows explorer clicks are quite annoying). Once the sound starts playing for more than half a second it sounds fine at least on youtube or in foobar (though both suffer from the same pops or noises when first starting or stopping the audio streaming including seeking).

I don't know if its the audio driver considering win7 default audio was clicking even before I installed the realtek/creative third party ones.

How would I go about narrowing things down or eliminating them? would a dedicated sound card fix this? Would be a shame, sounds great when music is actually playing as long as there is no repetitive quick explorer sounds.

Why the fuck is my cpu at 55 when I installed a 212 evo cooler and everything is spinning at turbo with just steam and a browser open

what the fuck

pcpartpicker.com/list/v8JBTH
How is this build? Plan to use it for light gaming, web browsing, and drawing. I'm at my maximum budget with this, I can only go very slightly higher, but I'd prefer not to.

Can I create a liquid cooling setup where the radiator lies outside my house? It makes no sense for the computer to exchange heat with my climate-controlled room.

How do to this?

You didnt mount it properly
You pasted it poorly
You're using your computer,so you're going to generate heat.So stop doing that and it will be less hot

How can I run my CRT monitor on full resolution (1600x1200 pixels) on Windows 7.

I swear I've been looking for an answer. Here's what I'll tried so far:

- Change drivers from generic to generic super VGA
- Use the monitor drivers (Sylvania F96)
- Click 'List not recommended resolutions' (or something like that) and the only listed not supported options are variants of 1080p

And nothing works. AND WHAT'S MORE, this fucking retarded thing that happens from time to time without warning: The monitor changes (or rather, starts up) as 1600x1200, BUT when I go into resolution options the fucking thing changes itself back to 1280x1024 (which is what it recognizes as max). Ha, ha. What the fuck. I swear I'm not crazy, fucking thing sees me taking a look at it and suddenly remembers it has to shit on me as a ritual.

Linux has no problems with this, btw.

go to your amd/nvidia/cru options and make a new resolution setting

>get powerful pump
>get long tubes
>???
>condensation

Hmm is it really that simple?

Where does one study this? I need to figure out what I need, how to make it safe. Don't wanna fuck my computer because of a leak or something.

what's the best way to type in japanese on a linux machine?

Put the computer outside of your house and use an CAT-7 cable video extender, and active USB extension cables.
Total silence.

30-40 meters are no problem.

I am trying to work through this and found out about LatencyMon. The results look off to me but I don't know how to interpret them as I am in over my head.

pastebin.com/HdRW4ZD8

It would be pretty much the same as any other custom water cooling loop, the issue is that the negatives generally outweigh the positives.
If its hot outside then your cooling will be less effective, if its cold outside you run the risk of condensation inside your computer, if its freezing outsize then your radiator will freeze if the pump isn't running.
Also compromising the insulation of your home by running the tubes through some hole offsets any potential reduced need for cooling indoors.

I need some computer/technology related article I can summarize in about two pages without stretching too thin or skipping a lot of stuff.

Anyone have anything?

does objective c cost money? and can i run it on windows?

salon.com/2014/08/04/is_this_the_future_of_sex_what_i_learned_from_trying_a_remote_controlled_robotic_sex_toy/

It's not just about silence, it's about improving the efficiency of my air conditioner. Well to be quite honest I'm curious about how far I can take this.

Putting the entire case outside the room would be way too inconvenient. This is not a server. I access it directly and frequently enough to matter.

>If its hot outside then your cooling will be less effective

I suppose. Depending on the season temperature can reach 40 °C.

Assuming there is a graph of ambient temperature and heat exchange efficiency, I suppose I can determine whether that will be a problem with a simple worst-case analysis.

I always choose components that perform well-beyond my actual needs for this reason.

>if its cold outside you run the risk of condensation inside your computer

That can't be good. I need to know under which conditions this can happen.

>if its freezing outsize then your radiator will freeze if the pump isn't running.

I don't live in an environment where it is ever freezing outside.

>Also compromising the insulation of your home by running the tubes through some hole offsets any potential reduced need for cooling indoors.

I don't think my house has any insulation. The air conditioner that was installed already required a pretty impressive amount of pipework so it's not unreasonable to think a bunch of tubes are going to make any difference.

Also I wonder if this liquid cooling equipment is designed to last if exposed to the elements

misread the question.

Condensation occurs when there is enough of a temperature differential and humidity, so if the water coming into your computer is below ambient then it can cool the water block to a temperature where moisture in the air will condense

As for your radiator being weatherproof, you don't have to go with standard watercooling components

kek
If it wasn't from Salon I would probably actually try that.

When plugging in front panel cables, does it matter what direction the text/labels are facing?

For LEDs, yes
For swiches/buttons. no

>For LEDs, yes
So should the two Power LED labels be facing down, up, left or right? In case I was unclear, I know that the + and - have to go in different spots and I know where those are already.

check your motherboard manual

I have a remote cloudlinux server with no root access, and no package manager

is that possible to install rtorrent on it from scratch without root access? I do have compiler and interpreter working

Latencywise is socks4 better than socks5? or is the different is only on security detail?

Alright Sup Forums, I rarely come here but I have a question concerning my build.
A few years back I put together a cheap pc to use for gaming, and I was on a budget so I didn't invest in cooling.
I also didn't buy a graphics card and bought an APU instead.

Now I've had this problem for a while where my PC freezes randomly, no blue screen, or any messages.
It just freezes, even the capslock and numlock lights don't turn on when it's frozen.

I decided to look into it a bit and downloaded speccy, and when I looked at my CPU temperature it said it was at 89-94 Celcius.
Is this bad?

Should I get a cooling system?

I won 5k betting on the presidential election. I can cash out in bitcoin for no charge from the betting site. They give the option of a bitcoin wallet, or depositing it into a bitcoin bank. Which is better and easier to spend?

Why not try first moving the radiator to the aisle or something? if the AC is only for your room?

Hope I made myself clear

If those are your real temps then yes that's pretty bad, but speccy has been known to give inaccurate readings for AMD.

windows?
clean reinstall first

AC is only for my room. Moving it to the aisle is also acceptable.

You want to keep it in your own wallet, I wouldn't trust a bitcoin bank.

What fonts should i use in Firefox to make them not-ass? Trying to get openbox to look pretty is painful. For some reason, they look fine in both MATE and GNOME at their default, but in Openbox they like shite. Why?

pic related. trigger warning for globalists

Gonna buy 2 1440p 144hz monitors, I sit like 50-60 cm away from the monitors, what size should I get 24 or 27?

If 24", gonna be 2 monitors
If 27" only one

I would say 27" but having two monitors is nice too.

>windows?
yeah I'm running 7, I'll just post my specs

Is this what it would be like in Sup Forums mansion? youtube.com/watch?v=lUlP_l3odjo

If it's that hot, the cpu fan should be runing at full blast and loud as hell. If it's not, then speccy is wrong.

ok, makes sense since they're probably not fdic insured.

Why are AMD and Lenovo so incompatible with each other after the recent driver and Windows updates? Is there any way to make Windows and AMD play nice with each other again so I don't have to deal with Windows Explorer going through an infinite crash loop on startup?

Seems like this might be the case then.
Thanks, I'll check the other parts to try and figure out what's causing my freezing issue

Opera and Edge show youtube comments like usual. Username at the top comment underneath etc.

Firefox shows the username under the comment.

What is happening?

Si

Real stupid question.

Trying to copy music files over to my phone but it doesn't copy over information like artists, song length, artwork etc...

Why would this happen and how would I fix it?

just recently built myself a pc but now when i play a game the screen lags and my speakers make a buzzing sound how do i fix it?

So my friend tried cleaning out his PC and for some reason when he rebooted his computer his ram usage skyrocketed. There doesn't seem to be anything running besides essential things and he doesn't think it's a virus. Any advice, Sup Forums?

From what I understand, replacing a dead motherboard will fuck up Windows 7. How can I avoid/fix that? I don't have an optical drive by the way.

I'm having trouble with hashtables/hashmaps.
I understand that they have keys and values that are meant to make look up faster, but how does it actually work in a program? If I have a list of cities, how would I use a hashtable to make it faster to find? I would make the first letter of the city the key then the city is the value?

permissions, maybe?

I think two 24s would be better. If you're a gaymer, there's some games that can be configured to put a viewport on each monitor so you can play with your bf.

So I'm writing something in Python 3 that takes the words in a text file, sorts them alphabetically, then outputs the sorted words to a new file with their number of appearances beside them.

It's all working right except the number of occurrences doesn't show up. Here's the relevant lines, what am I missing? Shouldn't the [i] in oFile.write(oList[i]) put the number beside it?

you need to rethink this

NO ONE ANSWER THIS

The struggle, trial and error, and desperate web searching is an essential piece of the learning process.

>buy new asus z170m ddr4 mobo + intel processor + new ram after a year of expectations
>replace my old ddr3 mobo/proc/ram with the new one
>everything's in place and well seated
>boot
>bluescreen right after bios screen (error 0x00000f)
>some bullshit about bootmbr being missing or something
>mobo cant be doing with my Seagate hdd for some fucking reason, even though the old one was working fine with it
I just wanted to be happy. Guess its not an option.

Anybody else had this issue before?

That's normal for Windows when changing motherboard. There's probably ways to get it working, but I'd back up everything and do a clean install.

>clean reinstall
>An entire weekend if windows updates
>Driver updates
>Removing W10 boogeyman updates and telemetry
>de-bloating
Oh man I really dont want to suffer again...

Can I still reuse my old hardware or is my W7 installation already fubar?

It will continue working on the old hardware.

Oh good. Thanks mate.

Windows defender detected some malware called BrowserModifier: Win32/SupTab!blnk. Clicking in desinfect and remove dint do anything. I use windows7 and firefox
Already scaned the pc with avast and malwarebytes anti-malware but both dint detected it.

Should i worry or its just windows being retarded?

Guys I'm scared. Rainbows six siege is free this week so I dl it and it launches the uplay installer. After that a update fails for it windows defender pops up saying it found a 2 threats. One was taken care the other persisted after cleanse, remove ( it keep popping up that windows defender found a threat). It says it's been remove, but I was wondering if restoring my computer back a couple days would be a safe bet?

Bro I just had the same shit
U dl rainbowsix?

It's normal for Ubisoft's wares to be detected as malicious.

P-please?

Ubisoft installs shit on ur browser? Fuck this shit.
Thx m8

What's Sup Forums's choice on antivirus?

Currently running Kaspersky Total Security, got it last night.

Looking to set up a router based adblocking script on ddwrt that uses dns poisoning. I understand how to set it all up, except the ad domains it draws from. Essentially its a config file with addresses in it which are able to be edited, my question is: which sites should I be blocking that cover most ads? Any host files suggestions would be appreciated

I've gone through all the domains/hostfiles I have on ublock, but there's so many, I'm unsure which ones are ideal.

tl;dr need suggestions on which hostfiles or ad domains to block for the most universal coverage, without ending up with a massive fucking list

Any help would be much appreciated

My retard friend thinks he needs a liquid cooling system.
Is he retarded or am I just a fan fag who thinks that being aqua man is fucking stupid?