>no vim

Visual Studio Code

>emacs
Go fuck yourself
>vim
Outdated

Sublime Text 3

VSC > Atom > Notepad++

In terms of usability and extensibility.
I'm still using ST2 though because VSC is still lacking in many areas and Atom is borderline unusable.

VS Code

Compared to Atom it actually prioritizes performance and compared to Notepad++ it has a shit ton of features. I wish they put more effort into its C/C++ autocompletion and such though, but it's still one of the better modern text editors.

Obviously you can rice out Vim or Emacs to be better than it, but it makes installing extensions much easier than either of those and is nicer OOTB as well.

atom and neovim

tried atom switched to sublime and it's a lot faster imo.

Qt Creator.

Emacs + evil-mode

>didnt even include the good gui text editor
sublime text > atom > vsc > emacs > vim >>>> notepad >>>>>> Notepad "++"

Another vote for VSCode here. Most of Atom's yumminess but with good performance. My only complaint is the git integration only works when it feels like it.

does anyone know of a way to hook something into emacs but only for a specific file

This

Kill yourself

Geany and Vim.

vim >= emacs > everything else

spacemacs.org/

I've tried it.

Bloated, buggy shit.

gedit and vim

How is notepad better than notepad++

this is objective truth

They're all shit, but if forced to choose at gunpoint I'd pick atom and install vim emulation plugins

Vim.

VS is worst

Emacs > everything else

Emacs

This

using a javascript editor
nice
M E M E

vim and vi

quick share your best vim tricks

sublime

sublime > vim > emacs > meme electron editors

>trying to emulate graphical interfaces and monitors with text characters

di(

what is the best alternative to brackets? it has some really nice web development specific features I haven't seen elsewhere, so I've been begrudgingly using it alongside sublime.

There are so many things wrong with your setup.

A disgrace to normal Mac users.

name one

What features in particular are you looking for, senpai?

mostly live preview (see realtime changes in the webpage as you edit it) and quick-edit (ctrl-E on an id/class pulls up all CSS rules associated with it, ctrl-E on a JS function name pulls up the function declaration).

the ability to preview images/colours by mousing over the code that specifies them is nice too, though I'd rather it be invoked by a shortcut.

I think VSCode can do most of those

vim > Atom > Sublime Text > Visual Studio Code > Brackets > Emacs

Notepad++.
VI.

The others are just memes.

Just like javascript.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

share pic pls

neovim.io/

this dude is on Sup Forums 24/7

*girl
gimme a few and ill upload the whole set :3

wearing kneesocks doesn't make you a girl

mega.nz/#!FoIASRYQ!S8L2MbS09uTQPQDZDTRUNHht87qcrmdC0GbW8h57ea0

> Chinese cartoon wallpaper
> Chinese ladyboy picutre
> proportional font
> pink theme

>monospace outside of terminal
'no'

kawaii

Sublime is my favorite. It's fast, it has many features and many packages.

Atom and VSC are okay too, I consider them good alternatives to Sublime. The problem with them is that they're very slow and just don't feel as solid as Sublime.

Also, can you please stop giving this macfag attention?

I love using vscode, but am not a fan of Microsoft being able to view everything I code with it. Does that bug you at all?

I'm considering switching to atom

With Atom you have Google reading everything you write instead

You can just disable outbound traffic after you download the plugins you want?

nano

What is the best text editor that will work seamlessly across all operating systems?

I use vim/gvim on a linux distro. But attempting to get it setup on windows 10 was a huge pain in the ass. Notepad++ is great on windows but not anywhere else natively (I'm sure some run it with Wine).

Does anyone use one TE on different OSes, if so which one?

nano

Atom. But learn vim. Once you learn vim and become efficient with the commands you won't go back.

The C++ plugin does a pretty damn good job.

marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=austin.code-gnu-global

>no jedit

> not even foss

Wouldn't you be better off using something like Visual Studio if you're on windows so you can build right then and there?

b-but it has a 3 stars rating.

isn't that mediocre, a-user?

Sublime.

Speed:
Notepad++
Features:
VS Code
Memes like glowing or exploding fonts:
Atom

Also:
/thread

>tfw I don't even use Notepad++ for coding anymore except for writing long ERP posts because of tabs and dark background settings

I want to go back, but I can't find a decent writing program to take its place.

this

thank you user

>muh freedumbs
More like:
>not even going full circle using actually good commercial text editors like UltraEdit or emEdit

This, that thing can actually load quite big files.

Also, I wonder how fast micro (github.com/zyedidia/micro) turns out when opening 4GB files.

>written in Java

dropped

micro, it's basically nano, but good
now the only thing lacking is a native plugin facility, like with so many text editors

Sublime Text 3 as a text editor and Visual Studio whenever you need an IDE. Visual Studio Code is getting better with each update, but you're likely going to be unable to rely on it 100% until it's seen some more development.

Most other text editors are memes in comparison. In their defense, however, Package Manager and the associated community is the only thing that really sets Sublime Text apart from all these others everyone loves to shit on. You have whoever invented that gem to thank.

You can try
"telemetry.enableTelemetry": false
I'm not sure if you'll trust that though

>Most other text editors are memes in comparison.
Nah, most other commercial text editors are good in comparison.

Then give some examples for the thread's sake. A ton of the free ones that get thrown around don't even begin to compare imo (Atom's performance is miserable, Notepad++ just can't compete with so many community build features, etc) but if there are paid options I am unaware of, that could be useful to share with everyone.

I know there are many language specific, commercial IDEs which are ideal for that language, but if we're talking just text editors, ST3 can have as many or as little features as you want / need and runs very efficient even after dozens of addons are installed. The choice of themes is also, well--sublime.

> Disclaimer: ST3 isn't actually free but the trial "lasts indefinitely," so you can buy it whenever you're actually making money with your code

>paying for a color coded overglorified text editor

Why use a text editor over a good IDE with a debugger, compiler, and UI designer?

> paying

ST3 has an "infinite trial," but I still intend to buy it because I could not be more satisfied after probably 1,000 hours of coding while living off of a college budget.

VS Community and VS Code are both free, the latter is open source. Plus, any professional would be supplied with any version of VS they needed for free.

Really it just depends on what kind of programming you do (paid or unpaid).

>Then give some examples for the thread's sake.
user did in , but there are probably more. I'm unsure about Komodo edit, though, as it may put the focus too much on programming.
When I mean good text editor I assume actual text editing, not poor programming: Being able to open and search in multiple 20+GB files. Memes like color themes come second to me, although most of them support that as well.

>Disclaimer: ST3 isn't actually free but the trial "lasts indefinitely," so you can buy it whenever you're actually making money with your code
They might as well make it free. Although, some WinRar is alive, too.

They aren't all the same, user.

do you just leave that image open at all times
I don't understand why people have random image viewer windows open in desktop threads
what a waste of space

baka

because all these things exist separately and become unwieldy when duck taped together.

What are good debuggers and and UI builders that are separate from VS or Eclipse?

gdb and your brain

>Memes like glowing or exploding fonts:
>Atom

if it helps you're productivity, then it's not a meme you idiot

>Atom
HAHAHAHA.jpg
>Notepad++
great for quick edits but maybe it isn't the best for big projects
>Visual Studio Code
Pretty decent but has the Microsoft stigma.
>not including emacs, vim, sublime text
vim or emacs are mostly personal preference and easily extensible both. Sublime has a nice community behind packages and it's cross-platform and not made by hipster SJW faggots like Atom.

All comes down to personal preference and how confortable are you to customize each one.

Atom for me is the worst offender of the bunch, just because you can write shit in js doesn't mean you have and you can do it. The same for the retards that made that stupid ass terminal emulator on node.js

So I'm boned if I'm on Windows

Totally fair. For me, though, I do nothing but front-end (JS, object-oriented) right now and my text files don't even come close to reaching half a GB. For most people asking this question, they probably don't need emEdit. Color themes come second for me too, but still, if you're gonna spend 40+ hours a week staring at something...

> poor programming

That's not nice user. We can't all work in assembly. :^)

Why would you use Windows

Terminal, grep and awk, no need for editor

It's all I've ever known, and I have no clue how to get started with programming without it, let alone without an IDE.

pls help

>literally
Dropped

because we're poorfags

>js
>front-end
>object-oriented

user, do you ever want to get paid to program? If so, realistically, you don't want to listen to that man

I did my time with lower languages. You keep doing your shit, and I'll have fun doing mine.

Vim > Notepad++ > Atom

You don't have to move so quickly.
I suggest you install a nice GNU/Linux distribution and just start playing around with it whenever you have a few minutes. Instead of watching a youtube video or netflix show play around with your OS just for a few days so you can learn the intricacies of how it works, how the shell works, which tools are available and what does what. You can install your IDE in GNU/Linux as well, to help the transition.
At the same time you can start playing around with something like vim or emacs, and eventually you'll feel comfortable enough there and with your operating system and its tools that you will be able to simplify your workflow by virtue of being more comfortable with the environment. Slowly this will ween you off Windows (and IDEs, if you want to stray from them).

Personally I don't think an IDE is a horrible thing. I don't use them personally because I've taken the time and put in the effort to get very good with vim (you can pick up the basics in a few minutes though). If I was working on truly HUGE software projects like libreoffice or firefox I would probably be inclined to use an IDE to keep track of everything (especially if I have to work with others). For the type of programming I do (embedded and writing small utilities mostly), I don't need one. Your needs may vary.

It's more important to free yourself from Windows than from IDEs imo. The rest will follow in due course if your programming style allows it.

>user, do you ever want to get paid to program? If so, realistically, you don't want to listen to that man

Why is that?