Looking to switch from windows 7, what would Sup Forums recommend?

Looking to switch from windows 7, what would Sup Forums recommend?
Pic related heard alot of good stuff about BSD

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/docs/books.html
freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi
openconnect.netflix.com/en/software/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nice dubs.
BSD is garbage.
Try it out and decide for yourself, tho.

>BSD
KEK

okay try out yourself

Whats wrong with it? Just that its unix based and not as comfy as some linux OSs?

it's pretty sure to say that FreeBSD is likely to work for you, but as always, there are caveats.
To start with, it doesn't come with a nice Desktop Environment by default, like some linux distributions do. You'll have to learn to at least install X (the graphics system) and a DE of your choice. You'll also need to learn to use the command line, if only at a very basic level, so you don't feel in a completely strange land.
Second, drivers for your hardware might just not be there. This is unlikely to happen, but you still want to check before you try.
As for the rest, there really is little difference from using FreeBSD or a Linux at your level, hell, unless you get into the guts of your OS, you're unlikely to see much of a difference.
Oh yes, one exception: most developers of all kinds of software neglect the BSDs and write software for linuks only, and porting may be more or less difficult. You don't want to port yourself, there are ports mantained by the developers, but you might run across some lesser-known software that you might want to use and it might just not be available in the BSDs.
And this has happened to me ocasionally, because software is written for linuks, some stuff may not work too well on a BSD, this is rare though.
The advantages of FreeBSD are that it is less likely to break with an update, and that it is generally easier than linux because less moving parts, as well as it having way better documentation (not only the manual pages and the handbook, but a google search on some problem you might have, with linux, the solutions that you're likely to find are specific to some distribution)

Wow thanks for actually taking the time to help a brother out with a nice response. Sup Forums needs more people like you!

You said you heard a lot of good stuff about it.
Made me think maybe you're listening to the wrong people.
If you want a free OS that works, Linux exists.
But as I said, if you're curious about BSD, it never hurts to broaden your horizons and learn new things.

Windows 10

[cont.]
Basically, you have two options here: you can stay with the windows philosophy, and install linux (I know it sounds like a contradiction but I'll elaborate), or go for the unix philosophy and install a BSD.
For starters, the UNIX philosophy implies learning for yourself, figuring out how things work and willing to look up things for yourself. It's not easy at first, but it's not hard. The components are there, the documentation is there, and there are tons of blogs and official articles describing some stuff you might want to do.
Linux is waay closer to the Windows philosophy: it's init system is monolithic (well, for MOST distros, all the major ones (except gentoo), at least), which is pretty much how windows operates: One black box to which you request all services at all levels: networking, audio, system services...
It also encourages the use of GUIs and middleware software, and particularly, with a GUI, as nearly all linux distros come with a GUI prepackaged, and in some cases (like ubuntu and debian) they're imposed upon you. Here you can be absolutely oblivious of the inner workings and operation of your system and just say "I want install this nao and use it!".

Works ok in a thinkpad x200 tablet . All except the touchscreen. other than that i don't know about skype and usb webcam. Haven't tried those yet.

Nothing wrong, just not a tood choice for a windows refugee.

>windows philosophy
>linux
When troll against systemd you should consider it's much closer to launchd and modular as anything you used on "unix".
>It also encourages the use of GUIs
As OpenBSD too, if you need it. Many thing can only be disabled in /proc, no gui shit is enough versatile for that. Some winfag even make fun of linux users to "forced" to edit text files to switch off an usb tool.

Don't you have anything better to do than post this webm in every single thread that mentions any BSD?

If you are a typical desktop user, BSD (in any of it's incarnations) is the worst choice of FOSS operating systems.

If you want to run FOSS desktop, go with Linux, everything FOSS desktop originates there and is best supported there.

Just sharing my first hand experience

Answer the question.

What do you do in life?

Trigger BSD shills

>Being this buttdevastated facing the reality of a typical user's reaction to BSD.

So what you're saying is that you're like barneyfag.

So how's special ed?

le burney fag XD

ok, but BSD = trash

Adding le and XD to a sentence doesn't make it less true, you know.

Someone posts something you don't like, you have an autistic meltdown for 3 hours and post the same shit over and over while calling them shills. Same behavior.

See

Functional software is harmful to security.

So what's that supposed to prove? That I'm right?

To everyone else reading this right now, go look up these images in the archive and laugh at him.

Arch

No one is laughing actually.

From what I gathered there are two (TWO) BSD fags that are vocal about their sophisticated Operation system. One of them is a closet mactard that pretends to use it while in reality, his BSD laptop is ONLY good for browsing. (He also had to change is preference of browser because BSD doesn't support his browser)

And another memepad NEET autist that claims "BSD has more driver compatibility with his laptop than Linux and Windows". He probably also runs some hipster Linux distro to get "things" done.

>reeee I'm not a macfag I use BSD
>VM intensifies

you are such a fag

Senpai stop being a bully to the BSDbabbies

the only way you can find out what you really want is to try them. use a virtual machine first, and try all the ones you think you might like, then make your own judgement. trusting Sup Forums to decide your next OS is a big mistake...

Solus Linux is great for migrating windows users, much easier to setup and use than bsd too.
Much faster too, boots up in under 3 seconds.

Shut the fuck up Kevin nobody cares about your new favourite distro

Wow, you're autistic.

I'm not Kevin.
But yes, it's my favorite distro, the only one I'll use, and I'll keep posting about it in these threads because it's a really good distro.

>hey guys look at me I'm too retarded to install bsd
>>no zfs
literally native
>>no linux compatiblity
freebsd 10+ doesn't have this problem
>>no jails
what
>>no proprietary bs
I agree. so what.
>>no kvm
what is xen

>xen
Just another depreciated tech left in the dust.
kvm and libvirt on systemd is the new hotness.

So just how much do you love sawako?

>using PC-BSD
>2016
>not using OpenBSD or FreeBSD or NetBSD

You deserve this! PC-BSD is a shit!

It's that kind of people that Sup Forums needs!

God bless you, user!

Touchscreen should work fine with evdev.

Stop reposting this shit people already told you stop using outdated as fuck version PC-BSD because "PC-BSD has evolved into TrueOS®©" so use it or switch to FreeBSD fucking retarded redditor.

It works! The only thing I've noticed Intel HD Graphics drivers were a bit buggy. Other than that everything is very good: documentation and manual pages, tools, libraries, system design, kernel and base system configuration, networking. Ports for the most part are new (coq is old though, gcc is very new). Screenfetch can't into calculating the used memory...

When my laptop needed an OS, i went with mint and never looked back.

>delete this
lmfao no

No, BSD isnt the right choice.
Less support and documentation, fewer applications, and is meant for more advance users anyway. BSD is more for servers, pcbsd is trying to change that but it still has a very long way to go.

Go with mint + cinnamon. Get to learn about linux and debian in general with a nice fall back of not breaking everything.

but do install it in a vm first for a few weeks and try to do everything you want before installing it

>less documentation
Insane?

BSD are the ultimate meme. I could go on and on all day about how retarded the BSDs are, but it should be enough to mention they don't support the last 3 (three). THREE! Count them, it's 3, generations of intel CPUs.

As said: still not convinced? Just go ahead and use any BSD of your choice. Simple as that.

Not to say linux is great either, though. The kernel devs are such inbreds that they have refused to fix a major regression that they introduced over 4 years ago to this day that prevents a metric fuckton of devices from resuming after hibernation unless they have a single-threaded single CPU.

BSD documentation is a joke. It's basically "This program is a program. Don't you love this documentation? Here, have some more! Did you know that water is wet?"
And that's when it's actually up-to-date rather than documentation pulled from the linux software that's been stolen, where the software is tracking a few versions behind stable, but the docs haven't been updated in several decades.

that's way better than GNU's info "so this program does this and this and this and this and this and this" and it goes on for 60 pages with no examples

Guess what? You don't know basic facts about CPUs.
Dear morons, when do you start googling yourself?
freebsd.org/docs/books.html
freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi
And those system interface man-pages weren't stolen (the author isn't Kerrisk).
Well, GNU info system is also supported.

It's not, actually. GNU info is definitely terrible (but it's more like: "here's a 20 pages essay about the history of this software" "here's a 30 pages dissertation about gnu and software freedom" "here's a master's thesis (100 pages) about the software's gotchas, quirks and other bugs that will never be fixed because they're a feature (tm)" with the info you're actually looking for, such as usage, hidden away within this crap), but it's better to have too much info than wrong or no info.

tell me where openbsd's man pages have been wrong (Xorg doesn't count, as that's third party software included with the OS)

Tell me when they haven't. I'll wait all year.

what?

that's not even an argument and you know it

You were kind enough to provide an example of how wrong it is on your own so I gave you the privilege of trying to counter your own argument so that you don't contradict yourself too much. Not that I expected any valid response from an open placebo retard.

>open placebo
oh, so you're that retard then

then again i should've known when you said they stole software from linux

Install gentoo

Solus.

You yourself admitted that to be a fact.

Hello, python's emerge.

What? Where? When I said Xorg's documentation was terrible? It's terrible for every operating system.

By this logic gentoo is the only distro worth using.

Broken Software by Default fags, everybody!

Are you really still doing that fucking obnoxious "haha, lol owned!" posting thing again?

By what logic?
Gentoo lacks the whole user friendly, just werks, aspect that solus is so good at.

hi kevin

Woah there buddy, if you keep moving these goalposts that fast, you might travel through time!

What goalposts?

Who?

BSD is for servers. You're better off installing a GNU/Linux distro. I highly recommend Debian because it's totally FOSS by default but makes it easy to use proprietary software if you so choose. You have total control over you PC and there's reliable, easy to understand, non-autistic support from the community. Debian is stable and secure. Updates won't break your whole system for random reasons. It's truly a professional Linux distro designed for home, office, and server use. Basically one of the few non-cuck operating systems left. It's easy to use if you have an IQ of over 90. Install Debian OP.

>no Replies
Kek

I use OpenBSD as my desktop, but FreeBSD is fine too.

Whats with this recent influx of shitting on BSD, was there a massive influx of new newfags recently, like more so then usual?

Well you aren't wrong

>BSD is for servers.
BSD is for hobbyists and people that need to rip off non-copyleft code.

It's not newfags, it's GNUtards: they've always been this way since they have a huge case of cognitive dissonance.
They want to think ``Nothing can compare to GNU/Linux'' while at the same time, many things are not only comparable, but better.
Therefore, a special stress forms inside them. Along with their desire to appear superior (which is the only reason why use GNU/Linux, not because they actually enjoy Unix or computing) they release this stress as shitposting.

BSD is no use on servers either. The only thing BSD can legitimately be used for is devices that never need any large non-custom software, or any updates, such as embedded devices and routers.

>Whats with this recent influx of shitting on BSD
BSDshills arrived and convinced us to try out the BSD. Turns out they're unusable jokes. When presented with the facts, they decide to pretend everyone who doesn't like BSD is the same person and "a troll" instead of presenting solutions, accepting reality, or proposing workarounds/alternatives, as any sane non-shill entity would do (the reason most of us became convinced to kill windows forever is that linuxfags, homosexual as they are, mostly tend to accept reality and try to improve the kernel and its distros rather than plugging their ears, calling everyone not in the circlejerk a troll, and sucking each other's dicks all day long)

I forgot the most important reason: GNU/Linux users are extreme conformists: like bronies, they do virtue signalling by proving how much they can conform, usually by praising their inferior product.

>When presented with the facts, they decide to pretend everyone who doesn't like BSD is the same person and "a troll"
Is this really surprising when you "all" post the same pictures with the exact same file names with the exact same boring shitposts?

I think this is probably true,
I'm seeing a lot of
>look at this I don't know how to install bsd
>prove a time when its worked
then
>I'm using it right now
and finally
>i don't have time to read the manual ahhhhh, bsd is shit.
I'm running gentoo on my desktop and freebsd on my laptop by the way. I like gentoo a lot but I find freebsd just as usable and I like package configuration more then gentoos.
see openconnect.netflix.com/en/software/
they aren't the only ones using it fyi

>bsd is shit because cinnamon is shit
Kek, I agree with you on one point: cinnamon is shit (and by extension mint is shit)

>BSD
>comfy
pick one, amigo

what the fuck is that autistic piece of fucking shit?
i got testicle cancer thanks to that pic, fuck.

You're allright, user.

>VM
Just get out already.

>installing memebsd on baremetal when 99% of modern realworld hardware is unsupported

And remember open bsd is the most secure of all operating systems....

Till you actually start using it.

Actually built a box a couple months back for coding. Running freebsd, dual 2620v3's off of ebay on a supermicro board. Chose a bsd mostly to avoid all the shit code coming from Redhat in the past couple years. I use XFCE, which is usable, but I really don't care that much user interface though since I do everything via command line so I don't recommend it to a first time user coming from windows. If you're a programmer you'll probably do ok though.

freebsd has shit aslr, but native zfs

use openbsd because security or fedora because usable linux OR go os x

windows 10 de-botnet'd is ok

openSUSE

Anyone know if FreeBSD or NetBSD has support for the Xeon E5 2699-v3 running as dual processors
and FirePro W9100s running in 4-way Crossfire?

Also, what's the best desktop environment?

Alternatively, if Free/Net does not have support for these things, what's a good non-GPL alternative that isn't Windows or Mac? Also, preferably not Solaris, because Oracle is shit.

Do NOT care if it's proprietary, as long as it's UNIX and does NOT need a a commercial license to run.

doesn't just anything with plan9port.

>openbsd because security
>windows 10 de-botnet'd
retard confirmed

>PC-BSD
You're a retard

Leap is out in 5 days. the devs seem to have done a good job

>all these people calling the webm trash

Sup Forums isn't so bad after all

>all these people
Your butthurt samefagging is pretty obvious my man.

You revived a thinly veiled BSD thread and the IP count hasn't gone up for a while.

>being so devastated that you start lying or deluding yourself over IP counts

There's no way that this is a healthy way to spend your time, user. No wondering you're losing it.

Pretty damned sure they don't support crossfire, not certain they have proper smp support but I think they do, almost certain they have driver for that gen of CPUs.
Best DE is lumina.
RedoxOS