/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

previous thread - IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X120e-11-6-Notebook-8GB-memory-90GB-SSD-Win-10-/282245792144
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw replaced my X220'S cracked TN display with a fresh IPS display

feelsgoodman

>tfw new display cost over half the price of the laptop

feelsbadman

> tfw I have to decide between 1080p display and comfy 7 row keyboard.

>tfw ready to instabuy an IPS 1080p screen + adapter for my T420 at any time
>no one sells a working kit
feelsbadman

All my hopes are with rmsmajestic releasing a working t420 kit.

Anyone run MacOS on their thinkpad?

>tfw I bought the W520 so I don't know this feel

How might one keep a solar or physical charge for a laptop during a 3-4 back (mid) country trek? I plan to defend my PhD thesis and do a northbound traversal of the Appalachian Trail. I'd need to respond to comments/revisions during the various town stops or any campground in cell phone range. If tethered to my phone, Latex revisions and SSH to simulation servers are trivial. I currently run a 2012 Macbook Air but I'd be willing to buy a T420 despite the weight for durability. The real question is how to charge it while hiking 12 hours a day.

...phone/hotspot would be LG G3 with standard charging port

>posting the ugly version of the IBM thinkpad logo

you had one job OP

Durability isn't the problem, but multiple batteries would be an advantage as you could charge them at stops with power then toss them in ziplock bags.

Solar innawoods ain't happening, especially on the move.

I'd bring a small Thinkpad like an x200 with a low wattage CPU and an SSD to conserve power, and three or four new spare batteries.

Alternate option, an Android tablet with a Latex editor app and a power bank or three.

is $335 a good price for a BRAND NEW t420?

eoooo

>3-4 MONTH back (mid) country trek?

They do make USB tier chargers that use walking or ambient solar en energy. Not sure about mechanical charging but if I'm pulling ultrabook/tablet energy it should be doable if esoteric and expensive an orthodox user. They don't need that many Amps or Watt/Hours and it's all DC to the port.

Multiple batteries mean slower hiking so the something 12inch and X series might even be better since it's small but supports a full character set for command line syntax.

Most common products seem to assume you are in a car based on multiplicity of "bricks", weight or cables since manufactures are assuming AC from the socket or using a DC source to feed a device's default AC cord.

Is this a good Craigslist deal for $170?

y-yeea...

Yiss

jijavie or jajiave is the one who made the kit I think, RMS is the one who exported it.

Once you go IPS its hard to go back...
Awaiting the T431s so I can do a comparison of the two HD+ panels that are compatible with the 900p T420 and the IPS FHD screens

Cheaper than what I would sell one for.
Just sold a T430 in similar spec for $250.

This

>170 for i5 420 with an HDD, broken parts, no mention of battery
hahaha, no

when will lenovo realese the the retro thinkpad? last ive heard was sumtime in 2017

I didn't know companies usually released their vaporware pr stunts

just got my t420 from ebay. Missing a driver for the webcam to work, i dont really need it i just want to solve the problem. If anyone can offer advice I'll be thankful. running windows 8.1 (cant downgrade to 7 or upgrade to 10

>cant upgrade to 7 or downgrade to 10
fixed

why not though?

I'll be honest I'm retarded when it come to working with non apple products. This is the first device i have that isn't apple. I can't go back to Windows 7(I'm more familiar with) beçause I'm sure I'll fuck something up. I'll work slow and steady at this, first adding ram, fixing the webcam drive, get some Linux distro and so on. Working with macs all my life really put me behind in general computer knowledge

How long do your 3 cell batteries last anons? Mine is about an hour on my x220

Buying from Ebay, seller has 98$ positive with over 1000 sales. It's free delivery and very close to my city. Want to use it for GNU/Linux. Thoughts?

My personal is a t420s. I can give you pros and cons.

Actually just going to give cons, pros are pretty obvious. Cons are battery is meh, 3hr max with a new battery. Battery slice is expensive and doesn't add much. No GPU. Also not sure why the seller says 1366x768. Should be 14x9. I don't think they even made the laptop in that resolution. Overall good buy, had no problems with linux or windows

Battery life and no GPU don't really bother me, won't use it for gaming and i won't be going anywhere without power for more than 3 hours i reckon. I'll buy it then, hopefully it arrives soon. Cheers mate.

Me>Gf: look at my new laptop! Is damn great (T430)
Gf: looks like my father's old laptop, is totally shit, I couldn't even watch a YouTube video or surf the web
Now is in my old house, it should work but I don't have the charger
Me: what....? What do you have?! I want that thing here. Now.
Here it is. Now what?

google it you retard

Learn how to greentext
Jesus fucking christ

>trackpoint gone
How the fuck?

I guess nobody will ever answer my question about battery life. I just want to know if 1 hour of battery life on my X220 is average for a 3cell.

No. 1hr per cell is the norm

Hey /tpg/, do you happen to know which ThinkPad models are Coreboot-able? I know the Libreboot-able models are all C2D affairs, I'm looking for something slightly newer and I'd like to at least have Coreboot.

I think my ideal situation would be
>i7 T430 for SATA III and USB 3
>1080p IPS panel
>Coreboot
>9-cell
I'm not particularly worried about the T430's keyboard, it's not the abortion the early X1 keyboard was.

What do you guys think about the thinkpad 13?

Not really, a T420 with the 9cell gets like 9h idle and 6h with normal usage or something around that.

why is she screaming at that thinkpad

$420 dollary-doos!!
Specs look good, just delete winblow$ and install debian or gentoo.
The fingerprint reader might not work anymore on linux, but there are some fixes that might fix it.

Kill yourself le macfag.

Sorry, meant $274 dollary-doos!

Yeah didn't need to eat tonight anyway. Beers a supplement for food, right?

1366x768 is not fun to use.

My x201 just arrived with win7 preinstaled.
Im trying to boot up ubuntu mate from usb, but then this happens, please help.

I solved it.
Thank you for interest, cunts.

>tfw new display cost over half the price of the laptop
Better a fixed machine than one fit for the skip. Sounds like you did quite well to get the display.

Lads, I've seen the X200 (era 2008), with a Core2 Duo P8600 2.4 GHz and 6GB RAM in rip-off Ireland. The mad man is selling it for €200, is even getting it for €100 a bad deal?

I dont know about x200, but I bought my x201 i7 with 128SSD, 4GB RAM and 9cell battery together with docking station for 170e.

First gen i7? Still a great bargin.

Mine will have slight more RAM than, a new SSD can be had and preferred for cheap and I'm likely to use it plug in at libraries/archives to use it as a glorified typewriter (with a lightweight linux OS).

Happened to my father as well. He said he thinks it went missing after vacuuming the keyboard.
Thank goodness for x10 caps for 1 dollari and eternal father-gratitude for saving the computer.

Yup, first gen.
They are maybe cheaper in western Europe, but for my country its a great price.

Question remains, is even €100 to much for something I just want to be a portable typerwriter?

Its not if you can afford 100squids for a typewriter.
Where I live, some people are working entire month for a 200e paycheck.
So thats it.

i've got myself t420 with 4GB RAM seated in the slot under keyboard, also bought separate 8GB RAM stick for upgrade.

i've tried inserting 8GB stick into the empty slot, but it won't boot with it - after i press the power button it turns on, i can hear fans working, the power diode is lit, but screen is dark and nothing else is happening.
Any ideas what might be the problem?

Replacing my X200s with an X230 with IPS screen this week. Best laptop form factor ever imo

Does the x230 make a lot of noise?
Also how good is it for gaming?

I think it looks pretty cool honestly.

Guys I need a Drive bay and cover for the T61 I recently picked up, what are the differences in dimensions between the 4:3 and widescreen 14.1". I have the 4:3 and its a bitch looking on amazon because they don't differentiate.

confirmed date for next series or thinkpads released yet or no?

Any recommendations for something silent to use in an university? I'll mostly use it for coding more than anything.

I hate you people.

You made me buy a T520, and I find out when I really need ADB drivers that they just don't work, any of them. Not even universal drivers.

I now have to take a whole different laptop just for my android development class so I can test apps on my phone.

Don't fall for this meme laptop. Obscurity is BAD.

>falling for the don't do product research meme
you memed yourself friend :^)

I did product research, I just didn't predict I would be touching android development ever

we didn't make you buy shit, dumbass

try harder

How much should I pay for X220 IPS/i7/8/128 SSD/Grade B?

No more than 180

so are there any coupons for the new ones? only ones I can find are SAV15THINKPAD and thats it. There's gotta be like a really big one right?

>$274
you're joking right?

I'm wondering if the line will spin around the bowl one more time before it finally goes down the shitter

underrated.

how much should I pay for a half year old 4th gen x1 carbon?

Can someone with T420 and i5 2520M run CPU-Z, press "Stress CPU" button, wait for 3 minutes and tell me CPU temps?

I was getting 86 yesterday. Today I changed thermal interface and getting 68. I think that's still too high.

Got this for £175 in really good condition apart from a few keys having the letters missing. T430 with a 256GB sandisk ssd, 3320m i5, 8gb ddr3, original charger and battery. Really pleased so far, really quiet and boots rather quick.

Cheapest Thinkpad that can run Overwatch at 60 fps?

Get out.

the Thinkpad K Y or S series will do it for you

>Beers a supplement for food, right?

Not modern beer, but mead was and is.

Oh thank yo- hey wait a minute

I like my x200 and have more than that in it, tho I added an SSD, dock, and second battery. They are very nice typewriters.

Probably incompatible RAM. Try inserting it in the other slot on its own.

>I just didn't predict I would be touching android development ever

So you get to be a rich developer and buy many computers. Cry us a river.

It's been a year and I don't know which one should I buy... The T420 or the T430

t430 if you want gaymes because better iGPU, if not the cheapest one you can find.

Can all x220 batteries be used in x230s, too?
Are they compatible?

because she can't stand the piece of shit screen

>had a T420 for work
>decent screen, keyboard was shit and took like 10 minutes to boot up

Dunno but so far I've leaned towards Asus laptops and they haven't failed me (never consider shit tier $400 ones) Should my next laptop be a thinkpad?

Not something I'll buy any time soon but I'm just curious what you guys think.

Thoughts on the x201t?

Want something portable for writing lab reports and reading comics

The battery authentication won't let even genuine X220 batteries charge if used in an X230, IIRC.

Thank you, I didn't know there was a battery authentication process.
So, those 3rd party battery manufacturers are programming their batteries to pretend they are genuine lenovo ones?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X120e-11-6-Notebook-8GB-memory-90GB-SSD-Win-10-/282245792144
is this a good price, /tpg/? I just need something portable for light programming, was gonna remove the Windows and install WindowMaker Live or something else lightweight.

Yeah, im pretty sure the T420 is a sandy bridge i5. Or can you get them with ivy i5s?

t420 is sandy vagina only, t430 is ivy

Apparently you can use a ivy on the t420 by flashing coreboot though

What are some good games to play on an x220?

emulators
100% orange juice with friends
aoe2

You should just watch Taiwan child animations, like the rest of us.

Opinions on T460s?