Difficult choice?

My team and I are competing in the First Robotics competition, and they left it up to me to decide whether or not to program our robot in C++ or Java. Which one do you think would be best?

Other urls found in this thread:

robotpy.github.io/
github.com/robotdotnet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

C++ obviously. No body does Java

Depends on how good your team is. If they suck at programming, Java. C++ will just cause you headaches down the line.

ROS

Most of them barely got through Visual Basic so I'm guessing Java it is

Can you use a JVM language other than Java? Kotlin's a pretty good language fully compatible with Java that is far more modern.

I really doubt it, their software is really outdated... their simulator requires Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

LabVIEW

Yeah, that's probably best then. C++ is not a gentle language.

>their simulator requires Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
LOL, by the standards of the corporate world if it was made this decade it isn't even close to outdated. Anyway, check if you get Java 6 or later in their environment. (Ubuntu 14.04 ships Java 7 IIRC.) If you have Java 6 or later, you can use Kotlin.

How about Python 3?
robotpy.github.io/

I've been a First judge for 3 years. In the 3 years I've done it, I've never seen a team program their robot in Java. I've seen C, C++, C# and python, but never Java.

Rust of course.

If they're completely retarded then you might want to use Ada to make sure they don't just fuck shit up

It doesn't really matter, they're about the same anyways in terms of what the WPILIB gives you. Java is the easier way in my opinion, and most of the people around me use either Java or whatever the visual thing was, not matlab but something retarded. If you just have one main programmer have them use what they're more comfortable with and don't let anyone else touch it, then say any problem is a hardware issue and not a software issue and no one can dispute. That's what I always did and it's worked out fine so far

Java. C++ isn't any harder or easier but the support for Java from FRC is better. That's not to say the support is good, it's just better.

The simulator a shit. Don't bother with it.

You use a clusterfuck of a library that only officially supports CPP, Java, and LabVIEW.

I was on a team that used CPP. We somehow ended up in St. Louis a couple years back. I can probably answer any questions you have, OP.

Talk to the other teams in your area and ask what they use. Hell, ask them for help programming shit. Gracious professionalism, remember?

our team is using C# with robotdotnet, is there anything I should know before i dig myself into a hole using an "unofficial" library?

github.com/robotdotnet

C++ should never be used unless the software you're writing is very processor intensive and requires high performance, and you don't mind sacrificing development time for it.
That's the only question to answer.

Kek, imagine high schoolers using an ungoogleable languages.

keep it fucking down

You seem to know what youre talking about, Java it is then. Thanks user.
I have a brief history with Java but my members have absolutely 0 knowledge on it, do you think I could get them semi-fluent with Java and the WPILib by the challenge release date?

We did ours in LabVIEW so that the build team could understand what was going on, plus most of our 'programmers' didn't know how to #kode very well

>"How to ... In Ada"
>Nothing comes up
>Panic
>"C++ is the beeeest"

WPIlib can basically be used as a cargo cult black box. My team had just statyed using CPP so we ran with a single file, dead simple program that was fairly effective. You shouldn't have any huge problems going from nothing to something.