Hey there Sup Forums

Hey there Sup Forums.

I wanna ask you folks if anyone of you or your friends tried (I mean really tried) to run Linux (any distribution) on MacBook.

I know there are tons of tutorials and hacks how to do so and how to fix after-installation issues like touchpad ones but they are all about MacBooks 2012. I'm thinking about the new ones, 2015, 2016 (those without TouchBar).

So Sup Forums give me your experiences with late MacBooks and Linux on them. I have no idea how Thunderbold works under Linux kernel and if the battery life won't be shrinked to 4 hours. In this case 1) fuck Apple and 2) give me good looking and not overpriced alternatives.

> Why?
The reason I'm asking is I like MacBooks look, screen, battery life and hardware. I don't like MacOS and I don't wanna be part of Apple family at all (I mean the pricing politics - I don't wanna be iSheep). Their hardware is pretty much badass.

PS
This is serious question, no hate, no offense. I really think MacBooks are good notebooks (hardware).

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/cb22/macbook12-spi-driver
bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99891#c11
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I buy Macs for the hardware

Maybe if this were 6 years ago.

Everyone else has caught up hardware-wise in the ultrabook market.

I dont wanna ultrabook. I mean MacBook Pro..

Sorry if this is not clear from my first post.

shit hardware and you don't like gayOS?
get something else then

What exactly is shit? When I do search in my country for notebook I get those 13" with HD resolution. If you wanna 13" with Full HD you have to pay fuckton of money. If you wanna batterylife that lasts more than 5 hours you have to pay another fuckton.

Give me comparable model then please.

i have a 2011 256gb mac air running debian + cinnamon... it is literally the perfect machine

thunderbolt and that touchpad should be fine because they are all from the the southbridge

but yeah these new macbooks are a cluster fuck - the new touch bar (most likely) doesn't have linux drivers becuase i heard it it uses its own arm chip for the secure enclave for the fingerprint reading feature for apple pay......

let that sink in dawg... i put a puter inside your puter inside that puter inside that puter dawg

yeah... apple shat the bed (iphone owner)

Am running Ubuntu on my 2009 Macbook, since Apple dropped 10.12 support for it.

Runs pretty smooth, but a few changes needed here and there, ie. shortcut keys need to be remapped to match MacOS. Few bugs too - gotta restart network-manager every now and again.

Nice to hear you get it working. But this is what I wrote...older models.
And yea, the closed chips...fuck em.

According you what is the latest Linux-usable MacBook? I see no obstacles till TouchBar and the fingerprint reader.

Currently you can't run Linux on the 2016 MacBook Pro, was reading about it in the Debian forums earlier

Why is that? How about 2015?

Problems so far,

intremap=nosid is required to even boot with Linux. Otherwise you get a black screen after GRUB.

Built in keyboard and mouse not working. Only the power key works to force reboot (non-touchbar). There's a patch for the 2015 MacBook that may or may not work here:

github.com/cb22/macbook12-spi-driver

Worst of all, the NVMe SSD has the wrong PCI class ID, so it won't work as a boot drive.

bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99891#c11

The internal drive does not show up in the Ubuntu installer at all. It's basically unusable as a Linux laptop. I have a $2800 disappointment.

Fok. I feel you.

Is that just temporary or it seems like it's unsolvable/unpatchable? Sorry I'm asking so much.

Yes, I had a MacBook for about 1.5 years.
For the first half year I tried to give Mac OS a legitimate chance, but it was garbage.
After this I ran Debian on it for about a year until I sold it.
The most annoying thing was that it had the price tag of a business laptop, but none of the features of a business laptop, except a clean look.

You mean no Mac OS - no features?

No, when you buy a business laptop you pay for the hardware
Windows 7 Pro is the same on a shitty Emachines laptop as it is on a top of the line Dell Latitude or ThinkPad T-series.

The difference betweeen these series and the MacBook Pro series is that the Dells and ThinkPads have enough ports and connectors for most use cases; you have customization options when purchasing such as smartcard readers; you can use a docking station; they are made for ergonomic use with features like more keyboard functions, buttons separated from the touch sensitive panel, clit mouse; their build quality is excellent, they are meant to be able to take a little bit of a beating, whereas the macbook build quality is terrible, I dropped mine once from about 1ft and the aluminum bent; the display is matte, not glossy; the keyboards are much better in terms of travel distance and required force;

Compared to these the MacBook "Pro" is just a toy for home users or people who sit in coffee shops and don't have any demands from a computer anyway.

Also they put processors in them that generate too much heat to be fully utilized. If I disabled throttling until the processor reached the "critical" temperature (104°C), it would go all the way there with the fans running at full speed.

here, figured you (OP) may want to know how Linux worked on the MacBook. I didn't mention because it worked just the same way it did on any other computer. No problems whatsoever.

I see and I agree. I will think about it.

Can you give me let's say 2-3 13" alternatives that look "cool" (I mean I dont want fat 3kg laptop with VGA) with at least Full HD res and decent battery life?

Thank you.

You could take a look at the Dell Latitude 5000 series, but then your closest size is 12" or 14".
Then there's the Dell Latitude 3000 series, that is available in 13" but they are lower end, meant for education.
There's also the 7000 series, that has a 13" model, if it has to be 13" I would go for these.
Personally I have the most experience with the Latitude 5000 14" and 15", and can say that these are great, also not huge.

When it comes to Thinkpads you should look at the X260 if you want 12", or T460 (T460p for more powerful, T460s for slimmer) models if you want 14" laptop.
If you want an "ultrabook" sort of expreience you could look at the Carbon X1 or Yoga X1, the former being a thin 14" laptop, and the latter being similar, except that it has a tablet mode.
There's also another one called ThinkPad 13 at 13", but I have no experience with this model.

HP also has some decent business models but I have limited experience with HP laptops at least for the past 10 years.

Don't do it, it kills battery life and turns the trackpad into garbage.

Installing any distro should be very easy with the ISO, bootcamp isn't just for Windows.

There are no other laptops out there that are like a MacBook Pro. Many offer better specs, and some might offer better build quality, but few offer both. Also don't even think about the 2016 MacBook Pros, they're dogshit and now is the best time ever to buy a 2015 model.

Somewhat related, has anyone installed another OS on their iPad?

I dusted off my iPad 3 this week and had to update it to iOS 9.3.5 which is cancerous as fuck, takes up half my memory and hogs all it's CPU.

I've heard rumblings about installing Android but from what I can see it would have to be jailbroken.

>I wanna ask you folks if anyone of you or your friends tried (I mean really tried) to run Linux (any distribution) on MacBook.
People do it, but I think it's the most retarded thing you can do when you can buy hardware that's nearly as good for less money.

Putting multiple cpus in a computer isn't just a thing Apple does. Hard drives and SSDs also have arm chips, as do many other parts of the system. Hell, even Intel puts a smaller processor within their processors.

It looks temporary.