Which fucking retards decided to adopt a funnel as the standard icon for filtering?

Which fucking retards decided to adopt a funnel as the standard icon for filtering?
A funnel doesn't affect the volume of flow in any way, and if anything, takes several nicely separated streams and makes a single clusterfuck stream out of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

spectrumchemical.com/OA_HTML/Supplies_Filtration_Funnels.jsp?minisite=10020&respid=22372
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_funnel
twitter.com/AnonBabble

On a scale of 0 to DIDNEY WORL, just how autistic are you?

I don't know what DIDNEY WORL is, but I'd say about 5/10

maybe you should go to

Oh, you're right. I forgot about that board

Did you skip chemistry class, OP?

You fold filter paper, put it in a funnel and you have a filter which separates soluble material from insoluble material. This is basic chemistry you do in primary school.

The icon was designed by someone who has at least the most basic science education, something which you obviously lack. But that isn't stopping you from making a fool out of yourself on the internet.

At least I have chicken

>chemistry class
Did you skip "not having mom do literally everything for me"-class Poster?

Since most people would be more familiar with filter papers from making coffee.

Anyways, look at the picture and tell me where the filter paper is retard.

The filter paper is invisible, retard.

>I-I'm n-not wrong. I-it's just invincible!!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAAH
Show me s single program where there's actually a filter paper, as you seem to think

spectrumchemical.com/OA_HTML/Supplies_Filtration_Funnels.jsp?minisite=10020&respid=22372

>45 minutes later
>not a single example actually showcasing a filter
>after desperate Googling, he finds some funnels that don't even use filter paper
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

The funniest thing about all of this is that your probably don't even care about icons. But you can't stand being wrong on an ANONYMOUS forum so now you're dead set on proving the icon isn't missdesigned

I don't really care about the icon (I'm not the previous poster), just providing an example.

And it's literally called a filter funnel.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_funnel

>just providing an example.
It's a completely irrelevant example of something nobody talked about
See above

>invincible
That doesn't make any sense, did your mom not teach you English?

>did your mom not teach you English?
No.

And what does not make any sense is interpreting a filter into a funnel where none exists just to win an argument on an anonymous image board.

Obviously meant "invisible", I made a typo

Actually it's a pretty simple example. I didn't really care about the icon thing but:

>Function for filter
>Icon is a filter funnel, a completely real device which I provided examples of.

What is your malfunction? When you make your own toolkit/program/icon set, feel free to include an icon of a coffee filter or whatever, in the meantime, I think I've explained why people use the current icon well enough, if not up to your deficient standards.

>Icon is a filter funnel
*leans into mic* Wrong.
It's just a funnel m8. With the literal thousands of different variations of the icon, at least one would actually show the filter, you know the thing it's ACTUALLY supposed to depict. They don't. It's just a funnel.

>doesn't know the difference between invisible and invincible

You got fuckin rekt m8

just imagine precipitate is bits, dork

Because icons should be simplistic and adding more details to small icons is something you want to avoid. People already know the funnel icon represents filtering. There's no need to put filter paper image in it.

see I think the people making the icon to begin with took "narrow things now" too literally, and now we're stuck with an inane icon.

An actual filter can be made simplistic too

>now we're stuck with an inane icon.
It's not inane if everyone understands it.

>An actual filter can be made simplistic too
Maybe so, but still not as simplistic as a funnel by itself.

Do you complain every time you go to the washroom too? This is like complaining the male/female symbols should also show their penis/boobs/whatever.

Who the fuck drinks coffee when they are in primary school?

>It's not inane if everyone understands it.
A funnel is for funneling, not for filtering. You can place a filter _inside_ a funnel, but that doesn't mean it's the same. using a funnel as icon for filtering makes no sense unless you're doing some mental gymnastics just to not be wrong in a discussion on an anonymous image board.

>Maybe so, but still not as simplistic as a funnel by itself.
It is.

The left looks like a cookie and the right looks like a partway unfolded paper airplane. No one would think those icons mean they filter something.

>*leans into mic*
kindly get the fuck out and kill yourself

>the right looks like a partway unfolded paper airplane
>I have never seen a filter in my life

>No one would think those icons mean they filter something.
Same for funnels.

>>No one would think those icons mean they filter something.
>Same for funnels.

Looks like plenty of people associate funnels with filtering to me.

and the picture i meant to attach

Again, that's just because the icon has been used for so long now. It doesn't change that a funnel is a funnel and not a filter, retard

>It's not inane if everyone understands it.
Yes it is. It's just that people learned to associate a funnel with a filter
>Maybe so, but still not as simplistic as a funnel by itself.
1. Wrong. There tonnes of different types of filters that could be simplified to a simple silhouette if you so wish
2. That's the most retarded reason I've read all day. By that logic we might as well use a smiley face instead of a floppy, because it's a simpler way of drawing a save icon
>This is like complaining the male/female
No its not retard. Do you still not understand that it literally just shows a funnel? There was never meant to be any filter in the funnel, its just a bad choice.

Most people who use filter icons are not in primary school

>No one would think those icons mean they filter something.
Neither would anyone do about a funnel if it was introduced today retard

>Yes it is. It's just that people learned to associate a funnel with a filter
That's the fucking point. People associate a funnel with filtering so that's what they use as the icon. How is it inane for an icon to be easy to understand?

>1. Wrong. There tonnes of different types of filters that could be simplified to a simple silhouette if you so wish
A silhouette of a filter is not associated with filtering.

>2. That's the most retarded reason I've read all day. By that logic we might as well use a smiley face instead of a floppy, because it's a simpler way of drawing a save icon
Smiley face is not associated with saving.

>No its not retard. Do you still not understand that it literally just shows a funnel? There was never meant to be any filter in the funnel, its just a bad choice.
Do you still not understand that it doesn't matter if it literally shows a funnel? The point of an icon is to get the user to understand what clicking the icon's button does. People understand that a funnel icon means filtering, so developers use that icon.

>Neither would anyone do about a funnel if it was introduced today retard
So go back in time in your time machine and introduce a filter as the filtering icon retard. Until then I'm going to continue using a funnel to represent filtering.

>That's the fucking point. People associate a funnel with filtering so that's what they use as the icon. How is it inane for an icon to be easy to understand?
>Hurr, a funnel is used as icon because people associate it with filtering because it is used as icon for filtering

>A silhouette of a filter is not associated with filtering.
But it would make more sense, which is what this thread is about, you turbosperg.

>People understand that a funnel icon means filtering
Actually I doubt that it's even that widespread. Show a random person a button with a funnel as icon, ask him what it might do and he will probably not tell you that it means filtering.

What is even your fucking problem? Someone explains why the standard icon for filtering makes no sense and you defend it by saying that it's standard (after a failed attempt at making parallels to science).

>People associate a funnel with filtering so that's what they use as the icon
It's the other way around retard, see >A silhouette of a filter is not associated with filtering.
It would be if actual filters instead of funnels was used to begin with
>Smiley face is not associated with saving.
The "most retarded I've read all day"-point you made, was that it's okay to use a retarded icon because it's simpler.
Smiley face for saving fits this criteria, if used enough it will be associated with saving.
>it doesn't matter if it literally shows a funnel
I've never said that it does. Just that the people choosing it to begin with were retarded like you.

Also you DID try to say it was a filter funnel for like 5 posts, but now you've accepted that it doesn't.

I always found this weird. Funnels are just an aid to move liquid, the real filtering is made by a filtering paper or a metallic mesh. But I guess both wouldn't be recognized by the average Joe, so they went with the funnel icon instead.

Who cares anyway, it's like the diskette icon for saving.

setting what you want to filter, then filtering

is similar to

putting certain filter in funnel, then filtering.