/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread:

Previously Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/search?keywords=qtdeclarative5&searchon=names&suite=all§ion=all
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xorg
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

have a nice evening anons

we should get this thread off to a good start. can we have no distrowars tonight please

why are you not using solus yet?

it's still morning where I live god d*mn it :(

Great, LinuxLive USB Creator 2.9.4 fucked my pendrive. It shows inside Windows 7 devices and disk tools, but I can't format it anymore.
What to do now?
Fucking Solus! Never used I but how I already regret.
Already tried Generic USB Format tool and get this error: "There is no media in the specified device".
I'm afraid its dead forever.

does this friendly thread have any security pastas for someone who is almost completely illiterate in this subject?

Try not being a dumb kangaroo fucking orc

I believe in security through isolation. Due to the current state of technology you cannot avoid using dangerous closed source software and habits. However It's upto you how seriously you are going to take your security.
Although Privacy and Security are correlated, are completely different priority. Sometimes you actually want your privacy to be breached to a certain extent to be secure from malicious attackers.
Here are my security advices:

Install GNU/Linux. Have MAC or RBAC enabled. Don't log in as a root.
Only install the softwares from your distro's secure repo
Use the Grsec kernel with PaX patches.
Use uBlock origin. HTTPS everywhere, Disconnect and Decentraleyes.
Use a Secure DNS.
Never keep yourself logged into anything.
If you want to compromise your privacy, enable two phase log in, However please do not link your email IDs as "referential IDs". Just make sure one email ID does not trace back to the other one you got.
Use a password manager. Best way is to maintain own encrypted spreadsheet.
Never use flash.
Install and keep firewall enabled at startup.
Keep bluetooth and printer service disabled by default.
Never give your windows VM any network access.
Do not bank or shop online unless you really have to. NEVER INSTALL YOUR BANK'S APP IN YOUR PHONE.
Randomly change all your 16 digit passwords. Use your spreadsheet to keep track of it.
Analyse your data traffic to check for network tapping.
Always keep a mirror backup of your data. Create your own cloud storage if you are really serious.
Lastly, only visit trusted websites

Reminder that there are malwares can exploit your host file system. Bidirectional file and clipboard sharing should be handled with caution.

>Protip:
You cannot "download" or "install" security

use diskpart, retard

i can't. I was born this way my 'mate'

Enjoy your bath with spiders, abo

do i need a firewall on my computer if one is already set on my router?

please lads i can't get the packages on this page packages.debian.org/search?keywords=qtdeclarative5&searchon=names&suite=all§ion=all

How much more security does coreboot provide compared to the original motherboard BIOS?

I told you what the problem is.

but i'm not what you would call an abo my 'mate'
i'm a human

Unless you forwarded your ports and don't take your system to public networks
What software do you want? what's your goal?
>aussie
>""human""
topkek. Shouldn't you be killing all those snakes in your living room, abo?

How does someone use ssh-agent on plasma 5? I uncommented the option in the startup and shutdown scripts but it keeps asking me the password everytime even it I just typed it before

I'll say it again. The deb you are trying to install was designed for ubuntu which has the package it is asking for split in to an individual package. Debian has it packaged differently do you will need to install the package which it comes with in debian.

USE KDE wallet

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and comfy distro for daily use?

debian netinst w/ lxde

Antergos Xfce

Pendrive "don't have" partitions, so I can't delete them nor create a primary partition.
Now what, genius?

That's funny. I use Debian Sid (installed via stable netinstall) with GNOME.

how about gparted?

>Don't log in as a root.
Why?

It defeats the security model that's been in place for years. Applications are meant to be run with non-administrative security (or as mere mortals) so you have to elevate their privileges to modify the underlying system. For example you wouldn't want that recent crash of Rhythmbox to wipe out your entire $HOME/Music directory due to a bug. Or that vulnerability that was just posted in ProFTPD to allow an attacker to gain a ROOT shell.

Its just good practice on any operating system to run your applications on a user level and leave administrative tasks to the root user, and only on a per-need basis.

>system compromised while in as root
>dont even need privilage escelation, have full system access

How does one get the setup shown in the WEBM? Would love to use Linux more at home but muh gaymez are stopping me.

I'm drunk as shit because the faggot surgeon didn't prescribe any pain meds. What distro should I install?

Anyone have a guide or something for the setup in op's pic?

What fucking e-mail domain should I use? I've been looking into different domains for a while now but they all seem fishy, one way or another.

What's the best NES emulator for Linux?

I'd say gentoo but my attempt to install that just slightly buzzing turned into crying.

do gentoo and stream it on twitch senpai

It allows misbehaving (or even malicious) software that you execute (say, any proprietary software), to run with the same privilege as you, giving it full system access. You should use pax/grsec hardening and use different users/group to manage privilege (or extended attributes).

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

OP, it looks like your PC is infected with microsoft malware gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
I suggest to remove it immediately.

FCEUX is probably one of the best NES Emulator's out there.

I'm not going to stream over a botnet service (but at this point it takes me 30 mins to instal gentoo, tops). Can't get hibernate to work yet, though. Funtoo with debian-sources work (so long as I use intel_idle.max_cstate=0) but otheriwse it juist hangs at lcapi_suspend during resume.

stop namefagging retard, seriously

You mean a KVM switch?

>Friendly
>start off by calling people cucks

Oh okay I like you too

retroarch

He's known /fglt/ cancer and woun't stop. You'd know that if you weren't that new.

He means iommu + qemu + kvm and the likes.
By the way, you should use synergy to share the mosue between the windows and linux install. I've been using pic passthrough and just repluggin the mouse/keyboard for now but is there info on how to do the steup without having to go through the router (i.e. to minimize latency)?

But you are newer than me

are BSD users people?

I dont fucking care, namefags/tripfags belong to reddit or to whatever else place where circlejerking is welcome

KDE post-4 is a piece of shit and it took until kde 4.12 to get an even remotely usable 4.x install. Also, 3.5.10 was the best. Fuck modern kde devs though.

reddit doesn't support tripcodes famine

>he doesn't realize he is literally on reddit.com right now
how does it feel to be so blind?

>current year
>still thinking Sup Forums isn't 100% reddit
if you care about imageboard culture, you're at the wrong website

No, you got him there
I do it just to trigger your autism
Are you in the right thread?

Fucking this.

>normalfag imigrants destroy my home
>idc, I'll go elsewhere
cuck

You do call yourself "KDE shill' do you not?

But I am, it's genuinely a top tier distribution, package manager is fantastic and budgie is really nice

>implying there is a website that is both alive and untainted by reddit

why are you name fagging?

fucking this

Sup Forums used to be it once upon a time. Now though...
It's really sad, though. THer

I always tend to think these questions are either trolls or made by distro shills so they can use their favourite distro by preference

you're fueling his reasons

I made a big mistake and bought a pre-built a few months ago for vidya.

I've tried installing all the major distros (Ubuntu, Manjaro, Fedora, Antergos, Solus, etc.), DVD, USB, netinst, etc. None of them work. Of course, the machine runs Windows 10 just fine.

When I try to boot into CLI, I just get a stream of text that's impossible to read (something about "print" .. I imagine it's graphics related). When I try to boot into GUI my cursor is stuck in the upper left corner and doesn't move. I can't alt-tab through any of the GUI installers, there's always a place where alt-tabbing doesn't work.

I feel like it's kind of a lost cause at this point. Googled a few solutions but found nothing. Should I start looking at building or buying a cheap refurbed prebuilt with good a Linux track record?

Sorry dude, but please wake up. The memes posted on this website are 99% poorly googled thumnbails in order to make people think that "I'm one of you guys, please respond". This website is normfalfag county. Deal with it.

8:48pm here already :(
have a nice evening

fuck you autistic niggers for renaming this thread to gnu/linux

Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”. Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy;

Bing it

It's pretty funny, actually. Google is sponsoring the FSF and the FSF tells people not to use Google, kek.

its also a forced derogatory term on Sup Forums

Google isn't only the search engine Google.

Any reason to move from Fedora to Antergos? I'll be installing it on my laptop. I use GNOME3 and I love it. Mainly wondering if pacman is that much better than yum/dnf.

>Solus
>Major

Okay I don't think your graphics driver is loaded by default. However did you try Mint? It comes with shit ton of non-free drivers loaded at boot

How do I stream stuff to an Airplay/Miracast/DLNA device from linux?

face it, google is the only one worth using, directly or not. startpage is still google.
i never had any luck with searx, always gave irrelevent & crap results

Literally who is still using Google botnet in $CURRENT_YEAR when seax exists?

I tried Manjaro's non-free drivers but not mint's. I guess I'll give that a shot.

>Searx
my nigga

How should I go about making a hardened profile with desktop use flags? Should I just copy everything from my current profile to my make.conf or should I edit the hardened make.defaults?

You will probably get more software packages and faster package manager. But if you are comfy don't bother

This is a definitive and fail-safe guide but unfortunately Arch isn't the best distro to install as a beginner. Despite that I suggest you have a read

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xorg

Show your systemd-analyze blame

install gentoo

>>>/reddit/

Is this webm from a youtube video? Please link if so.

search for gpu passthrough

just bing it

youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI

>get's trips by suggesting bing in /fglt/
it's all over now

its begun

How does this work when you've got dual monitors? Do you need one monitor plugged in to the motherboard video output and the other plugged in to GPU or what?

>Suggest solutions

>Bring solution

This is the difference between NEETs and Professionals :^)

It was already over when *pulling down pants and shiteverywhere*-guy, "sjwbian" guy and KDE Shill joined the thread.

>Do you need one monitor plugged in to the motherboard video output and the other plugged in to GPU
Yes, follow the guide on Arch wiki

I have tried to install the AMD drivers,downloaded from their web in my mint 18 installation,i fucked up my Xorg installation twice, i have a R9 280, how can i install them?