Orange Pi vs Raspberry Pi

I'd like to buy one of the small ARM-based computers so I can use it for various things and offload some of the tasks that I do on my laptop.

I planned on buying a RasPi but recently I came across Orange Pi and on paper it's a MUCH better deal than RasPi. It has a much faster CPU/$$$ and connectivity.

I've read that OrangePi is also used in new Nintendo retro console.

So, anyone tried Orange Pi? Would you recommend it?

Other urls found in this thread:

linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Buy the orange pi pc because it's cheap and in the end it'll probably end up being a dust collector no matter which one you buy.

You'll save money that way at least

I plan on using it for torrents. always on, always connected to a paid VPN... seems like a good idea anyway.

Can these things run Windows 10?

raspeberry pi can

Well, idk about the raspberry pi, but the orange pi pc is extremely low power consumption.

Uses 450mA under 100% load, according to online reviews, so you can even run it off your computers usb 2.0 port lmao.

Why not Banana Pi?

>Why not Banana Pi?
It's double the price of Orange Pi yet it uses the same quad core ARM processor and has less ports.

Can you explain to me why Banana Pi is better in your opinion?

Get a banana pro. Best of all the single boards out there in hardware even though it's cheaper than a raspberry pi. And it has more support, better community and wider variety of available pre-built images compared to most other raspberry pi alternatives.

Actually it's dual core.
But it has a real SATA port. SoC have better mainline support.

The Orange pi uses AllWinner SOCs..
AllWinner is notorious for providing shut support for their stuff. Its not even supported by mainline linux yet. You have to use their anicent fork full of bugs and backdoors.

whoever did the layout for that board must've been hardcore drunk (or did not give a single fuck)

Is it weird if I like it?

>h-hey Huang check this out i found the rotate tool in Eagle.
>good jobbu, lets make this shittu happen rrrrrrrr

Speaking from experience, an Orange Pi can do anything a Raspberry Pi can do, the OPi PC is (for emulation) a little more powerful than a RPi 3.

If you choose an Orange Pi, get a PC or One and use it with Armbian. Also get the official power supply as it is quite picky concerning that.

I currently have 3 OPi, one Raspberry Pi, NanoPi and the kickstarter chip. My favorites are OrangePis, especially for standard Linux tasks.

Nope. The RPi 3 has Windows 10 IoT, but thats pretty useless.

It draws around 450 when in use, but cant be powered from USB as it needs at least 1.5 A during booting. The official powerbricks are 2A and 3A. You can also switch off unneeded features (Ethernet, GPIO, GPU) to use as little as 150mA.

An OPi One uses about 370 mA when emulating DreamCast.

From what I've read its to make connections as short and simple as possible. They saved costs by not using more layers in the pcb.

Highly innovative desu

What advantages does the pc2 have over the first one?
It's $5 more? which is 25% more expensive?

Differences between allwinner h5 and h3? I'm trying to decide which to buy.

I'm disappointed by them not using an Orange PCB. then again RasPi should use a pink one.

H5 still has no Armbian support yet as the devs are still waiting for boards, but some nice hardware advantages like GbE and more raw power. Also some Flash storage from what I remember which saves you from buying an sdcard.

Once support is there it'll be worth the 5$. Check their website and forums

Makes sense to me. I've done it only a few times, but it really makes you appreciate a good PCB design. It's one of those things which seems simple at first, but in reality is so much, much more.

Yeah but what about the SoC?
Is it faster than the h3?

Any non standard soldermask colors are more expensive. That being said, there are yellow masks, but they look like shit.

Yes, but I dont know by how much. Nobody has one yet.

For torrents, VPN, the H3 is enough. For VPN the GbE is gonna make more difference than the CPU. The H3 already has 4k h.265 support and works flawlessly as a kodi box.

If you wanna use it as a desktop, wait for the H5.

Cheers. I wanted to do a little diy laptop project and you've helped immensely.

Also any one else notice this tiny new orange pi?

You are welcome. I'm building a psp clone myself with an OPi One

Orange Pi Zero on your picture, almost wanna buy one but I have too many others already.

I'd buy one just because it's so cute.

Do you think the 2GB ram on the plus model is worth it btw? If I plan to use it as a pc.

Also, does Linux work well?

Far bigger community with raspi. So any issues you run into should have a better chance of being solveable.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

Just checked, looks like the gpu on the h5 is much faster than the h3.
Mali 400 vs 450.

10gflops vs 35.

I have a NanoPi Neo, with 40 x 40 mm and a giant heatsink, looks even cuter

Linux is very stable, uptimes of several months are normal. But its ARM Linux, so its limited.

Get 2GB for a Laptop. Even then its only for light tasks and shitposting. But with hw video decoding etc it will be quite capable.

>For VPN the GbE is gonna make more difference than the CPU
This board bottlenecks by cpu at ~65mbits with openvpn aes256, while usb ethernet can go up to 90 in both directions simultaneously.
Enjoy your shitty loonix context switching.

>orange pi
no software.
lincucks armbian is useless.
android is still 4.4 chink botnet.
you can use those tv box custom rom though.

The RPI uses the same chip for ethernet and USB. So if you wanted to do something like a torrent box expect it to be slow as piss sometimes. The Opi gets rid of a huge bottleneck and costs less. So that's a no brainer for dedicated hardware.

The banana pi mentioned somewhere around here is a similar scenario. You don't need a lot of processor for a torrent box and the built in SATA is end all be all for storage.

I went richfag and use a Nvidia Tegra K1. $200 for that shit but all the I/O can't be beat. In hindsight I'll never pay that much for an ARM dev board again.

> no software.

how it can has less software than RPi?
Just recompile and be happy What's the catch?

The thing about the orange pi is they use allwinner chips which means software support is absolute dogshit and it's made by chinks who don't respect your freedom.

sunxi have mainline support.
And it can't be worse than Broadcom's ARM-on-a-VPU.

>The RPI uses the same chip for ethernet and USB
This is the one thing I really dislike about it. Why couldn't they use a separate Gbit chip to handle it?

linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort
Notice how it says SimpleFB for display meaning no real Mali support? Meanwhile you can play OpenGL games including the PC version of Minecraft on Raspberry Pi. It will probably have mainline video encode / decode support before Mali gets a real opensourced driver. The only reason to not get a Raspberry Pi 3 is if you need 1GbE, SATA, or more than 1GB RAM.

PCB design for microcontrollers is hard. PCB design for FPGA's is masochist mode. They die from the slightest touch and the slightest EMC problem in a microcontroller can render a FPGA unusable.

Are there alternatives to these chips? I'm kind of interested in designing one for myself as practice and see if I can get it working.

they can't run windows 10 they can't run a desktop what you have is kind of a loader which will allow you to run "programs" on the raspberry pi, but microsoft software cannot run the graphical hardware.

orange pi does not have onboard wireless.
install mate on a raspberry pi3 & it's asking for the wep key - recognises wireless/networks

Could not get debian working on the Orange pi PC Plus. Manufacturers don't give a shit so everything is community based but they give instructions that are in broken english and conflict in the same fucking thread.

Switched to Armbian and it just worked™

Now its been sitting in my living room as a nice dust collector for 1 week.

>orange pi does not have onboard wireless.

If you're going to get one expect investing some time to build your own ARM distro because all the others are poorly documented and fucking shit.

The only downside to orange pi in comparison to rasp pi is that there's less users and less support all around. You're going to run into your own personal issues that you're going to spend 5x as long trying to fix while on more popular systems people have usually run into these issues and overcome them before. This is the issue with all technology.

can any of these handle decoding 1080 hevc?

In Android? Sure. Vanilla Linux? Fuck no.

Try RISC-V. ARM environment is absolute dogshit outside of Android.

Are PIs strong enough to do video transcoding for a homemade NAS/media center?

Hardware support is virtually non existent for encoding / decoding outside of Android. This goes for all ARM SoCs.

why? what's different?

>transcoding
>on this piece of garbage
my xeon can barely handle 6 transcode streams

proprietary drivers that depend on an old kernel.

I have both
Torrents will quickly make the Opi overheat unless you place a heatsink on it, which you should do anyways. It will also be quite strained for resources if you add Always-on VPN
> It has a much faster CPU/$$$ and connectivity.
>connectivity
uwot? They both have 100Mbit NIC, one isn't faster than the other.

Just about everything except for the kernel. Broadcom has omxplayer for Linux which does hardware decoding, but the source for the program is completely closed. Some work has been done on the Allwinner CedarX engine but I don't think it has been upstreamed yet.

which device specifically are you talking about? and which drivers?

Not the guy you replied to, but Allwinner is still stuck at 3.4 or some ridiculous shit. Odroids are on 3.8, I think. If you update to 4.8 everything gets fucked.

Remember one of the rPi's design goals was to use little power- if you want performance instead there are of course going to be better options!

Open sores drivers are hard to get by.
>flawlessly as a kodi box
Really now? Last I checked no one could get the Mali to work, because of drivers.

>uwot? They both have 100Mbit NIC, one isn't faster than the other.
The NIC on the raspberry is connected to the USB bus which is already slow as fuck. Add to this a drive on USB and you get a huge bottleneck.

I don't get the point of these.

You can't use them as NAS because there is no proper SATA port.

>If you update to 4.8 everything gets fucked.
Isn't that because it doesn't contain the closed source drivers? Allwinner needs to compile the kernel for you with their source(or just release the source code)

I'm posting from a Rpi3. Runs Chromium pretty well under debian. I stream all my media from my plex server. I just remote into my big ass machine on the LAN if I need to do something that requires a shit load of RAM.

I don't know if the OrangePi has decent GPU support/drivers... Or decent video decode drivers... And I think you have to use an outdated as fuck kernel with them...

And please someone correct me if I'm wrong but haven't Allwinner(the chipset make used for the OrangePi) committed a shit load of GPL violations.

>The NIC on the raspberry is connected to the USB bus which is already slow as fuck
USB has a theoretical speed of 480Mbits. It won't be any slower than if it were using it's own bus.
Although you're right if OP decides to hook up a USB device which maxes out the bus

Doesn't the OrangePi have 2 little cores and 2 big cores? Switching idle/low usage tasks to the small ones on the fly for power reduction?

>he doesn't hook up an external drive and share it via Samba
Poor man's NAS. Works pretty well except for the 8 MB max speed. But you get what you pay for

I forget what they call it but the kernel they make you use looks really shady.

O got one and it's trash, all OS images are outdated as hell and it's very finicky to get them running.

Really, just buy a RPI

>Just recompile and be happy What's the catch?

Ok let me just grab the code for the the drivers... FUCKING ALLWINNER FUCKING MALI

This. All allwinner boards are trash. At work we bought 20 cubieboards in 2014, all trash. We ended up just buying RPis.

Why would you buy 20 of them before evaluating them.

I play Quake3/Openarena on my Rpi3 with the Gallium(fully open) dirver.

Video decoding on the Raspberry Pi's is done via OpenMax. It's not rocket science, the implementation is just shitty.

>they can't run a desktop

I'm on a desktop right now, on a Raspberry Pi. "Desktop" does not mean Microsoft Windows.

Rpi is on 4.4(for debian stable anyway) and actually releases updates/new kernels.

We're on 7 years away from having a kernel with 64bit support(which the Rpi3 processor supports).

>Broadcom has omxplayer for Linux which does hardware decoding, but the source for the program is completely closed.

The fuck are you talking about? I compiled VLC with OpenMax support(which is what omxplayer uses) and it works just fine.

What led you to believe OpenMax is closed source? Retardation?

>my xeon can barely handle 6 transcode streams

>transcoding on a CPU

>theoretical speed of 480Mbits.

>theoretical

I get a max speed of 30Mbit on the NIC. My SD cards are bottlenecked to shit too. It will go way the fuck down if you try to use them at the same time.

"we" not "him" as in "we/our company wasted/lost money from my stupidity". As opposed to "I/my company wasted/lost money from my stupidity".

>It won't be any slower than if it were using it's own bus.
You have no idea what you're talking about, kid.
>480Mbits
>(((((theoretical)))))
First of all, usb has only one pair of cables used for data transmission. This means sharing multiple devices on one line is a cluserfuck, and it kills the performance.
Secondly, 480Mbps CANNOT be achieved in real life situation. 300Mbps is the max (but only if the USB controller can be actually used in 100%)
Thirdly, USB controller performance is DEPENDENT on CPU performance. High USB line load = high CPU load, especially in case of such shitty small ARM CPU.

Using raspberry pi (any model) as a NAS is a pure definition of contagious autism. For such applications get Orange Pi, niggers.

The orange pi pc2 (pictured in op) has built in gigalan, rpi is still megalan shared with USB.

>PSP clone
>OPi One
could it even run PPSSPP

Hey Sup Forumsents, which of the OPi's should I get if I just want to run it headless as a torrent download/seed computer? I'm currently downloading few torrents from public trackers that are incredibly slow and will take weeks to grab and I'd like to use one of these small computers because I can leave them to run all the time.

Any suggestions?

Some older games, by far not all. Also at native PSP resolution.
Dreamcast + PS1 is pretty good though. I dont play games a lot, I just like to tinker.
Pic is Virtua Tennis for Dreamcast from an OPi One.

what are you running on it? retropie?

4.3 inch car display, OPi One, a 2.1A Powerbank logicboard and an old phone battery.

Currently working on the case.

Something that can power an hdd, a lot of boards need powered USB hubs for larger peripherals. Otherwise for slow torrents you wont run into bottlenecks I guess.

RetrOrangePi. Basically a preconfigured RetroPie for OrangePis. Thinking about building it myself though to remove bloat.

you gonna remove kodi? also how's rutorrent on armbian?

>Something that can power an hdd, a lot of boards need powered USB hubs for larger peripherals. Otherwise for slow torrents you wont run into bottlenecks I guess.
Thats a fucking cool setup bro! Can you tell me what you use? Which of them has SATA?

Gonna remove kodi and Openelec mostly to free up space. Some small things too like use the analog stick as a mouse for the desktop. I never use torrents, sorry.

Look for powered usb hubs, the more expensive models have SATA, although some route Sata through USB and have no real Sata controller, so check on that too. I believe some korean Odroid boards also have Sata, but I have mever used one.

Oh my... that thing looks so fucking cute.

Specs? is it on sale already?

thanks

What are some practical uses for these things? Are they really just dust collectors?

Can i run a LAMP stack on one?

Well, i built a remote potato cannon with my RasPI Zero.
An ESP-8266 would have been enough but fuck it.